legal Abortion, why women have them, again..

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re:

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:29 pm

2dimes wrote:oih boi...

That's not good enough. Do you like abortions? How many is too many? Views on forced sterilization?...
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4989
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby 2dimes on Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:58 pm

No, 3 per woman, do it!
User avatar
Private 1st Class 2dimes
 
Posts: 4057
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Just out for a rip!
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Re: legal Abortion, why women have them, again..

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:41 pm

Since we're in full agreement, then we can safely bury this thread!
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4989
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby 2dimes on Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:42 pm

Abort!
User avatar
Private 1st Class 2dimes
 
Posts: 4057
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Just out for a rip!
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Re: legal Abortion, why women have them, again..

Postby thegreekdog on Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:57 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:I have NEVER, repeat NEVER claimed that all or most abortions are “to save a mother’s life”.


Okay.

PLAYER57832 wrote:In fact, the largest percentage – anywhere from 30-75%, depending on if you start counting from inception, and so forth – are for fully natural causes, aka miscarriages.


Miscarriages were never illegal and therefore are irrelevant to any discussion of the legality or illegality of abortion. This is the other thing that you do that I have a problem with.

PLAYER57832 wrote:Other than that, I say just claiming that women having abortions are just doing so because they are too lazy or stupid or uncaring to really think out their choices and that they really don’t understand what they are doing, which you and others here are pretty much implying, is plain wrong.


I'm not saying that. See below.

PLAYER57832 wrote:See, you use the word “choice” medically when pulling up stats, but then in discussion go to basically “since its their CHOICE, then they can just CHOOSE not to have one.” I say, and the data below explains that things are very far from that simplistic.


It IS that simplistic. It is absolutely that simplistic. For the vast majority of abortions, women have a choice to have the child or not have the child, the woman's own life and death is not in the picture, neither are miscarriages.

thegreekdog wrote:
http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/2411798.html

There is a chart in this linke (Table 2) that shows the "Percentage distribution of women who had an abortion, by main reason given for seeking abortion." The categories and US statistics are:

Wants to postpone childbearing - 25.5%
Wants no (or no more) children - 7.9%
Cannot afford a baby - 21.3%
Having a child will disrupt education or job - 10.8%
Has relationship problem or partner does not want pregnancy - 14.1%
Too young; parents or others object to pregnancy - 12.2%
Risk to maternal health - 2.8%
Risk to fetal health - 3.3%
Other - 2.1%


PLAYER57832 wrote:
Conclusions: Reasons women give for why they seek abortion are often far more complex than simply not intending to become pregnant; the decision to have an abortion is usually motivated by more than one factor. While improved contraceptive use can help reduce unintended pregnancy and abortion, some abortions will remain difficult to prevent, because of limits to women's ability to determine and control all circumstances of their lives.


So what?

PLAYER57832 wrote:Beyond that, IMMEDIATELY, you would have to add these 2;
Risk to maternal health - 2.8%
Risk to fetal health - 3.3%

Each of these can be real and true reasons why an abortion might be very much medically warranted. The first would actually often include “threatens the mother’s life” – though that is arguable. I leave that designation to psychologists who are trained in that field, much as I leave the determination of cancer or other illness up to medical professionals. I am not going to debate THEIR definitions at this point, here.

SO, already we have it boosted to over 8%. Maybe you think 3% and 8% are equivalent, but I don’t!


Okay, 8%.


PLAYER57832 wrote:Then we get into the details – “too young” and “partner does not wish” are situations of coercion, not “free choice”. They include abuse, real medical issues (a 12 year old is just not equipped to have a child) and other cases that you have, in previous threads said might be case where legalization is reasonable. It likely includes cases you would not consider reasonable, but we would have to delve further into the data to determine that. At any rate, these are cases that I would not call real and true optional choices, definitely not for mere convenience (as Nightstrike and others like to pretend)

So, now we have almost 40% of cases that are not truly “free choice” abortions.


Yep, this is where we part ways. Too young, partner does not wish (i.e. the dad) are not situations of coercion. While they may (MAY! MAY! MAY!) include abuse. It doesn't matter whether I consider them reasonable. Reasonable is not the term I'm arguing with you about. I'm arguing with you about your insistence that there is something noble about abortion or that abortions are miscarriages or any of the other fucked up shit you use to justify your pro-choice position. Like I said before, most pro-choice folks don't feel the need to use the same justifications you use.

I don't care why women have abortions; they do not have to justify their abortions to me. It's their choice. It's not my business. Apparently you feel the need to justify why women want to have abortions. That's ass backwards. Not only is your argument ass backwards, but your reasoning is completely bullshit. I'm not saying women only have abortions willy-nilly; I'm sure most women have excellent reasons. But they aren't "mother's health" or "fetus health" or "abuse" like you're implying (well, not implying so much as saying).
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:56 am

thegreekdog wrote: I'm sure most women have excellent reasons. But they aren't "mother's health" or "fetus health" or "abuse" like you're implying (well, not implying so much as saying).


Pregnancy is kind of a womens' health issue.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re:

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:40 pm

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote: I'm sure most women have excellent reasons. But they aren't "mother's health" or "fetus health" or "abuse" like you're implying (well, not implying so much as saying).


Pregnancy is kind of a womens' health issue.


When I typed "mother's health" I meant the mohter dying.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Re:

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:44 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote: I'm sure most women have excellent reasons. But they aren't "mother's health" or "fetus health" or "abuse" like you're implying (well, not implying so much as saying).


Pregnancy is kind of a womens' health issue.


When I typed "mother's health" I meant the mother dying.


0k.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: legal Abortion, why women have them, again..

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:54 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:I have NEVER, repeat NEVER claimed that all or most abortions are “to save a mother’s life”.


Okay.

PLAYER57832 wrote:In fact, the largest percentage – anywhere from 30-75%, depending on if you start counting from inception, and so forth – are for fully natural causes, aka miscarriages.


Miscarriages were never illegal and therefore are irrelevant to any discussion of the legality or illegality of abortion. This is the other thing that you do that I have a problem with.

It is relevant when people start trotting out there are x numbers of abortions and pointing to statistics on why women have abortions, without taking the above into account.

In the US, there is no real data on this prior to 12 weeks. Any data collected, including the study to which you referred, is based on interviews and other imperfect data. Data from other countries may nor may not reflect the same information or have other biases (the study you referenced went into some detail on this, but also referenced individual studies or indicated when information was not available fully).

So, dismissing it is not honest.

Also, in some states there IS legislation that attempts to determine "fault" for some miscarriages, such as if drugs or alchohol are involved.
thegreekdog wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:Other than that, I say just claiming that women having abortions are just doing so because they are too lazy or stupid or uncaring to really think out their choices and that they really don’t understand what they are doing, which you and others here are pretty much implying, is plain wrong.


I'm not saying that. See below.

PLAYER57832 wrote:See, you use the word “choice” medically when pulling up stats, but then in discussion go to basically “since its their CHOICE, then they can just CHOOSE not to have one.” I say, and the data below explains that things are very far from that simplistic.


It IS that simplistic. It is absolutely that simplistic. For the vast majority of abortions, women have a choice to have the child or not have the child, the woman's own life and death is not in the picture, neither are miscarriages.

Like I said, you consider women too stupid or immoral to make these decisions. You apparently are far superior and better able to make these decisions. That would be bad enough, but you do it without truly looking at the data, as I noted above in regards to miscarriages.

It becomes VERY relevant when, at the point abortions are legal, the chance of term success is at best, 30-50%%, and most studies show the true rate to be less than that if you count from the time a pregnancy is determined. (as opposed to 12 weeks).

PLAYER57832 wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
http://www.guttmacher.org/pubs/journals/2411798.html

There is a chart in this linke (Table 2) that shows the "Percentage distribution of women who had an abortion, by main reason given for seeking abortion." The categories and US statistics are:

Wants to postpone childbearing - 25.5%
Wants no (or no more) children - 7.9%
Cannot afford a baby - 21.3%
Having a child will disrupt education or job - 10.8%
Has relationship problem or partner does not want pregnancy - 14.1%
Too young; parents or others object to pregnancy - 12.2%
Risk to maternal health - 2.8%
Risk to fetal health - 3.3%
Other - 2.1%


PLAYER57832 wrote:
Conclusions: Reasons women give for why they seek abortion are often far more complex than simply not intending to become pregnant; the decision to have an abortion is usually motivated by more than one factor. While improved contraceptive use can help reduce unintended pregnancy and abortion, some abortions will remain difficult to prevent, because of limits to women's ability to determine and control all circumstances of their lives.


So what?



PLAYER57832 wrote:Beyond that, IMMEDIATELY, you would have to add these 2;
Risk to maternal health - 2.8%
Risk to fetal health - 3.3%

Each of these can be real and true reasons why an abortion might be very much medically warranted. The first would actually often include “threatens the mother’s life” – though that is arguable. I leave that designation to psychologists who are trained in that field, much as I leave the determination of cancer or other illness up to medical professionals. I am not going to debate THEIR definitions at this point, here.

SO, already we have it boosted to over 8%. Maybe you think 3% and 8% are equivalent, but I don’t!


Okay, 8%.


thegreekdog wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:Then we get into the details – “too young” and “partner does not wish” are situations of coercion, not “free choice”. They include abuse, real medical issues (a 12 year old is just not equipped to have a child) and other cases that you have, in previous threads said might be case where legalization is reasonable. It likely includes cases you would not consider reasonable, but we would have to delve further into the data to determine that. At any rate, these are cases that I would not call real and true optional choices, definitely not for mere convenience (as Nightstrike and others like to pretend)

So, now we have almost 40% of cases that are not truly “free choice” abortions.


Yep, this is where we part ways. Too young, partner does not wish (i.e. the dad) are not situations of coercion. While they may (MAY! MAY! MAY!) include abuse. It doesn't matter whether I consider them reasonable. Reasonable is not the term I'm arguing with you about. I'm arguing with you about your insistence that there is something noble about abortion or that abortions are miscarriages or any of the other fucked up shit you use to justify your pro-choice position. Like I said before, most pro-choice folks don't feel the need to use the same justifications you use.

You are apparently trying to argue with someone else, because that is absolutely not my position.

MY Position is plain and simply that the best way to prevent abortions is to make birth control widely available and to educate adolescents well in sex education. That, alone won’t stop either teen pregnancies or abortions because some people just have different morals.

However, the line there is will forcing these women to carry their children to term be worse, not just for them and society, but even for the child, than letting her have the abortion.

Frankly, that IS where dealing with abused kids matters. I have seen, deal with far, far worse things than death. And, in many cases the abuses wind up not just perpetuating into the next generation (we are incredibly poor as a society in solving this), but thrusting huge expense on society in both time, law enforcement and social services. NOTE.. I am NOT saying that this is “the answer”. Again, the best answer is to teach and, failing that to provide social support. This is not something I take lightly, I actually work with girls around here, not helping them to get abortions, but helping them to deal with their kids.

Abortion is not a wonderful thing. But the damage caused by not having legal abortions is worse than when they are legal. Women have always had abortions, its just that they often died or became infertile as a result.

thegreekdog wrote: I don't care why women have abortions; they do not have to justify their abortions to me. It's their choice. It's not my business. Apparently you feel the need to justify why women want to have abortions. That's ass backwards. Not only is your argument ass backwards, but your reasoning is completely bullshit. I'm not saying women only have abortions willy-nilly; I'm sure most women have excellent reasons. But they aren't "mother's health" or "fetus health" or "abuse" like you're implying (well, not implying so much as saying).

No, that is what you keep claiming I am saying, but it is not at all what I have ever said
Last edited by PLAYER57832 on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2603
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: legal Abortion, why women have them, again..

Postby Symmetry on Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:00 pm

Hmm, sorry TGD, but Player got you this time.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: legal Abortion, why women have them, again..

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:19 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:It is relevant when people start trotting out there are x numbers of abortions and pointing to statistics on why women have abortions, without taking the above into account.

In the US, there is no real data on this prior to 12 weeks. Any data collected, including the study to which you referred, is based on interviews and other imperfect data. Data from other countries may nor may not reflect the same information or have other biases (the study you referenced went into some detail on this, but also referenced individual studies or indicated when information was not available fully).

So, dismissing it is not honest.

Also, in some states there IS legislation that attempts to determine "fault" for some miscarriages, such as if drugs or alchohol are involved.


Who is trotting that out? The website I quoted did not trot that out (for example).

I'm sure there are biases in any and all information; I cannot determine those biases since I didn't do the study. Neither can you, unless you performed the study.

There is legislation (and Law & Order episodes) regarding fault for miscarriages if drugs and alcohol are involved. What is your problem with that legislation? Furthermore, if miscarriages were, in fact, included in the study I provided, the inclusion of miscarriages would heavily bias the data in favor of "fetus health" or "mother's health."

PLAYER57832 wrote:Like I said, you consider women too stupid or immoral to make these decisions. You apparently are far superior and better able to make these decisions. That would be bad enough, but you do it without truly looking at the data, as I noted above in regards to miscarriages.

It becomes VERY relevant when, at the point abortions are legal, the chance of term success is at best, 30-50%%, and most studies show the true rate to be less than that if you count from the time a pregnancy is determined. (as opposed to 12 weeks).


I don't think any of those things consider, for the 100th time, I'm pro-choice. For the 97th time, my issue with you is not your views on abortion (i.e. being pro-choice). My issue with you is the way you go about justifying your pro-choice stance. I have no problem with, for example, my own decision to be pro-choice or BBS's decision to be pro-choice or Symmetry's decision to be pro-choice. I don't think any women are too stupid or immoral to make the decision of what to do with something that it is attached to them. I think it is a right to privacy issue and that's that. What I don't do, and what you're doing, is making it seem like these women don't actually have a choice. They do have a choice. It's their right to make the choice they make and I'm not going to argue with them about it. I will, however, continue to argue with you about the underlying reasons for making that choice since you remain completely ignorant despite the presentation of data to the contrary.

PLAYER57832 wrote:MY Position is plain and simply that the best way to prevent abortions is to make birth control widely available and to educate adolescents well in sex education. That, alone won’t stop either teen pregnancies or abortions because some people just have different morals.


Are you passing judgment on the morals of people now? I thought you were accusing me of doing that. I think the best way to prevent unwanted pregnancies (not abortions) is to educate since birth control is, in fact, widely available (go down to your local pharmacy or supermarket) and to make sure the right to choose stays legal.

As for the rest, I agree.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: legal Abortion, why women have them, again..

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:21 pm

Symmetry wrote:Hmm, sorry TGD, but Player got you this time.


I'm not convinced you understand what we're discussing.

To sum up...

Player is pro choice
I'm pro choice
Player justifies being pro choice (for some reason) as "women have abortions to save themselves" and "most abortions are miscarriages."
My response to that is that any data I've seen states that only about 2% to 5% of abortions are to save the mother and that miscarriages are not at issue with the legality or illegality of abortion. So her justification is incredibly flawed.

Basically, Player feels the need to justify her pro-choice stance. I do not feel the need. I suspect that Player is Christian and her religion requires her to make up things to justify being pro-choice. Although I'm Catholic, I can differentiate between laws and my own religious morals (as can many other Catholics).
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: legal Abortion, why women have them, again..

Postby Symmetry on Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:39 am

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Hmm, sorry TGD, but Player got you this time.


I'm not convinced you understand what we're discussing.

To sum up...

Player is pro choice
I'm pro choice
Player justifies being pro choice (for some reason) as "women have abortions to save themselves" and "most abortions are miscarriages."
My response to that is that any data I've seen states that only about 2% to 5% of abortions are to save the mother and that miscarriages are not at issue with the legality or illegality of abortion. So her justification is incredibly flawed.

Basically, Player feels the need to justify her pro-choice stance. I do not feel the need. I suspect that Player is Christian and her religion requires her to make up things to justify being pro-choice. Although I'm Catholic, I can differentiate between laws and my own religious morals (as can many other Catholics).


I think she, like many people have problems with the way the debate is phrased. You yourself have had to clarify your meaning about "mothers' health". She is quite correct that miscarriage is abortion. It is not irrelevant to the debate at all. It has as definitionasl impact, deals with some of the contempt that anti-abortionists have toward medical terms and practice, and, of course, there's the worrying trend of that lobby towards the criminalization of women who have a miscarriage.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: legal Abortion, why women have them, again..

Postby thegreekdog on Sat Mar 30, 2013 9:24 pm

Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Hmm, sorry TGD, but Player got you this time.


I'm not convinced you understand what we're discussing.

To sum up...

Player is pro choice
I'm pro choice
Player justifies being pro choice (for some reason) as "women have abortions to save themselves" and "most abortions are miscarriages."
My response to that is that any data I've seen states that only about 2% to 5% of abortions are to save the mother and that miscarriages are not at issue with the legality or illegality of abortion. So her justification is incredibly flawed.

Basically, Player feels the need to justify her pro-choice stance. I do not feel the need. I suspect that Player is Christian and her religion requires her to make up things to justify being pro-choice. Although I'm Catholic, I can differentiate between laws and my own religious morals (as can many other Catholics).


I think she, like many people have problems with the way the debate is phrased. You yourself have had to clarify your meaning about "mothers' health". She is quite correct that miscarriage is abortion. It is not irrelevant to the debate at all. It has as definitionasl impact, deals with some of the contempt that anti-abortionists have toward medical terms and practice, and, of course, there's the worrying trend of that lobby towards the criminalization of women who have a miscarriage.


Are you referring to this?

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/ ... ty-georgia

If you are, you (and motherjones) may want to rethink the use of the term "miscarriage."
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Postby Symmetry on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:58 am

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:Hmm, sorry TGD, but Player got you this time.


I'm not convinced you understand what we're discussing.

To sum up...

Player is pro choice
I'm pro choice
Player justifies being pro choice (for some reason) as "women have abortions to save themselves" and "most abortions are miscarriages."
My response to that is that any data I've seen states that only about 2% to 5% of abortions are to save the mother and that miscarriages are not at issue with the legality or illegality of abortion. So her justification is incredibly flawed.

Basically, Player feels the need to justify her pro-choice stance. I do not feel the need. I suspect that Player is Christian and her religion requires her to make up things to justify being pro-choice. Although I'm Catholic, I can differentiate between laws and my own religious morals (as can many other Catholics).


I think she, like many people have problems with the way the debate is phrased. You yourself have had to clarify your meaning about "mothers' health". She is quite correct that miscarriage is abortion. It is not irrelevant to the debate at all. It has as definitionasl impact, deals with some of the contempt that anti-abortionists have toward medical terms and practice, and, of course, there's the worrying trend of that lobby towards the criminalization of women who have a miscarriage.


Are you referring to this?

http://www.motherjones.com/blue-marble/ ... ty-georgia

If you are, you (and motherjones) may want to rethink the use of the term "miscarriage."


I'm not sure what your point is. Surely the article proves that miscarriage is an important part of the debate, rather than, as you stated "not an issue".
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: legal Abortion, why women have them, again..

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:03 am

thegreekdog wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:It is relevant when people start trotting out there are x numbers of abortions and pointing to statistics on why women have abortions, without taking the above into account.

In the US, there is no real data on this prior to 12 weeks. Any data collected, including the study to which you referred, is based on interviews and other imperfect data. Data from other countries may nor may not reflect the same information or have other biases (the study you referenced went into some detail on this, but also referenced individual studies or indicated when information was not available fully).

So, dismissing it is not honest.

Also, in some states there IS legislation that attempts to determine "fault" for some miscarriages, such as if drugs or alchohol are involved.


Who is trotting that out? The website I quoted did not trot that out (for example)

You did. You began by insisting that this was "new" information to me, though I have actually cited that article here previously... and to refute other things you posted that were absolutely incorrect.
thegreekdog wrote:I'm sure there are biases in any and all information; I cannot determine those biases since I didn't do the study. Neither can you, unless you performed the study.

Wrong. A legitimate scientific report goes to great lengths to describe bias, inherent errors, etc. Only when the methodology is well known and accepted is that by-passed, but even then a citation is usually provided. Having that information puts the report in context.
In fact, those details are probably THE key differences between a legitimate scientific report and just a casual explanation.

thegreekdog wrote:There is legislation (and Law & Order episodes) regarding fault for miscarriages if drugs and alcohol are involved. What is your problem with that legislation?

A topic of its own. Funny how you insert that into a discussion of a paper, rather than elsewhere. I will talk about it, but not right now.

thegreekdog wrote:Furthermore, if miscarriages were, in fact, included in the study I provided, the inclusion of miscarriages would heavily bias the data in favor of "fetus health" or "mother's health."
I am not disputing the data; I am disputing your claims about it. I have already shown that you did not bother to truly look at the data. The difference between 2 and 8%, for example, is pretty significant.

Read the study for yourself. It talks about the bias in obtaining the information, exactly what I said.. that these estimates are not, as you wish to claim firm numbers, but estimates based on women’s reports. It also talks about why such studies have been so limited. I posted several articles on this the last time this came up, including a couple of analysis of this report.

MY issue is not really with the report.. it delineates what it does and does not say pretty clearly, it is with your claims of what the report says and what the data means. I already explained that.

thegreekdog wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:Like I said, you consider women too stupid or immoral to make these decisions. You apparently are far superior and better able to make these decisions. That would be bad enough, but you do it without truly looking at the data, as I noted above in regards to miscarriages.

It becomes VERY relevant when, at the point abortions are legal, the chance of term success is at best, 30-50%%, and most studies show the true rate to be less than that if you count from the time a pregnancy is determined. (as opposed to 12 weeks).


I don't think any of those things consider, for the 100th time, I'm pro-choice. For the 97th time, my issue with you is not your views on abortion (i.e. being pro-choice). My issue with you is the way you go about justifying your pro-choice stance.
Except you have misrepresented everything I have said in the extreme. And, you have also come very much in favor of, for example the Roman Catholic church’s right to demand that employers, not the users of insurance get to decide what is covered, even though BOTH parties pay for it, etc, etc.

I don’t use the “pro choice” or “pro life” labels, because they are political attempts to sway people. Abortion is not really a “choice”, like getting a fruit drink, any more than someone cutting off their leg or arm are “just a choice”. Both “choices” needs to be legal for when necessary. The “pro life” movement is not about all life, they don’t consider the mother’s life, sometimes not at all and sometimes only in the most extreme cases. They, for example, dismiss the idea that a woman wanting to have children in the future might be a legitimate reason for an abortion, but medically , it can be very legitimate, not to mention”socially” (if a woman can finish college, she can get a job that will support here children, and is more likely to meet a man who is also educated, who will help with the rearing financially and likely otherwise, etc). AND, many of those claiming that title are the same ones opposing universal healthcare and minimum wage laws. You cannot separate those issues, because they are very much tied.

I understand that you say you accept that, but then you come like a battle ax with claims that have little to do with what I have said and a lot to do with so-called “right to life”


thegreekdog wrote:I have no problem with, for example, my own decision to be pro-choice or BBS's decision to be pro-choice or Symmetry's decision to be pro-choice. I don't think any women are too stupid or immoral to make the decision of what to do with something that it is attached to them. I think it is a right to privacy issue and that's that. What I don't do, and what you're doing, is making it seem like these women don't actually have a choice. They do have a choice. It's their right to make the choice they make and I'm not going to argue with them about it. I will, however, continue to argue with you about the underlying reasons for making that choice since you remain completely ignorant despite the presentation of data to the contrary.

OK, back up. EVERYTHING is a choice. Even, frankly, when a mother’s life is at risk, there is still a choice. The Roman Catholic Church is quite clear that they think the “choice” a woman should make in that case is just to die, to forget about her life, her family and any future children she might have. I know you disagree with the church on that stance, BUT.. their argument IS its “just a choice”. So yeah, my refutation is “no, its not just a choice”. And, the arguments of large swaths of the anti-legal abortion movement use that as their primary focus. “It’s a choice…. And those making that choice obviously don’t know what we know, so we every right to blast them with the most graphic and lurid photos, do whatever it takes to get these women to stop beings so stupid.
Never mind that most of their data is just wrong, and the photos they put forward are often from court cases and of late term horror stories, not legitimate, trained practitioners. Ironically, those photos illustrate why we need LEGAL and safe abortions, because that is what happens when its not kept safe and legal.

THAT is my stance. And that is why I say, quite clearly, “no, it is not JUST a choice”. If you want to claim it is “a choice”, then fine… but its ALL a choice. You want to just draw a line and say “mother’s life at immediate risk.. not a choice, mother’s life at future risk/her health at risk/her ability to raise the child well at risk/etc – those are all choices”. I say that argument is absolutely stupid, and yes, does ignore a lot.

You have sometimes argued the Roman Catholic position, though I do understand that you take exception with some of what they say, when it comes to mandates for other people, but MY problem and the problem with anyone not Roman Catholic, is that the Roman Catholic Church, by taking these positions outside its own parishes and into the political arena, has forfeited its right to have a legitimate political say. Either they are a religion and placing mandates on parishioners, but NOT to those who are not parishioners, or they are a political entity that can advocate politically for whatever they want… and face the disagreements. This includes putting pressure on Roman Catholic politicians to make laws that adhere to Roman Catholic doctrine. When they do that, as they have in recent years, they are no longer acting as a faith, but are acting the bully to tell other people how to live their lives, and that is just wrong.

thegreekdog wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:MY Position is plain and simply that the best way to prevent abortions is to make birth control widely available and to educate adolescents well in sex education. That, alone won’t stop either teen pregnancies or abortions because some people just have different morals.


Are you passing judgment on the morals of people now? I thought you were accusing me of doing that. I think the best way to prevent unwanted pregnancies (not abortions) is to educate since birth control is, in fact, widely available (go down to your local pharmacy or supermarket) and to make sure the right to choose stays legal.

Huh.. .there you go again. Now you are basically taking the exact position I am, and claiming it as some kind of refutation to my “judgmental” position.

Also, you are misinformed. Sex education is being curtailed nationwide. There is a new rise in teen pregnancies directly correlating to a switch from science-based, full education to a narrow “don’t do this” type of approach. I was frankly appalled at what passes for “sex education” in my son’s school. Yet, my husband and I went to a Parent’s meeting on this and there were all of 7 parents… one a school board member, there to listen. There were 6 presenters and 7 parents! What spurred the meeting was seventh graders bragging in the cafeteria about their sexual experiences.. in enough detail that there was more than just smoke. I know some of those parents and the kids, both. One is what I will call a “card carrying Roman Catholic” – who dresses her girls in clothes that erm… just barely meet the dress code. (she is also the parent who informed me that she doesn’t want her kids wearing bike helmets because it “messes with their hair”). Another goes to a “faith” church, that thinks sex education is “leading kids to sin”. Then we have the family, with older kids, who invited their daughter’s boyfriend to live with them, while she was just 16. Both that girl and her sister’s kids are now “in the system” being shuffled from place to place. Those are just 3 examples of a very long list. At some point, a parent who thinks its just fine for their 16 year old to get pregnant is about freedom of how we raise our kids, BUT.. as a society, knowing that many people like that exist, we have a responsibility to at least make sure that the 16 year old has as much information as possible. In that case, just telling them about birth control, of course, won’t do it. They need to know something of what it takes to raise a kid (ALL kids do). It can serve as a “deterrent”, but it also just plain gives them better knowledge if they do wind up being a parent. AND, they need knowledge about education, its potential and how to access it, including basic job training programs if that is what they need. I am not going to bore you with more of the litany, but you get the drift.

Without knowledge, choices become so limited, there just are no choices.

Making decisions requires facts and knowledge. Not having that is a surer way to eliminate choice than changing any law. Similarly, birth control is NOT widely available to all everywhere. Note that part of how this discussion began was Nightstrike and your insistence that employers could just eliminate birth control coverage from their policies without harm to women. Even when these things are not yet curtailed, the threat is very much out there.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2603
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: legal Abortion, why women have them, again..

Postby ben1212 on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:49 pm

To all of you who have not yet read Freakonomics the book, read it. It talks about how abortion has helped lower crime rates since the 1990's I believe. I myself am against abortion but it is true that because many women in poor living conditions choose abortion and that if they do give birth to those children, they are very likely to be part of gangs and crime. Therefore, because of abortion, crime rate has been lowered.
User avatar
Lieutenant ben1212
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 11:02 am
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2)

Re: legal Abortion, why women have them, again..

Postby thegreekdog on Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:53 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:You did. You began by insisting that this was "new" information to me, though I have actually cited that article here previously... and to refute other things you posted that were absolutely incorrect.


What are you talking about? I'm asking whether you think that I believe that women who have miscarriages should be arrested. I don't think that. I literally do not know anyone who thinks that. Furthermore, the legislation you are referring to would prosecute women who have a miscarriage because they drink or whatever.

PLAYER57832 wrote:Wrong. A legitimate scientific report goes to great lengths to describe bias, inherent errors, etc. Only when the methodology is well known and accepted is that by-passed, but even then a citation is usually provided. Having that information puts the report in context.
In fact, those details are probably THE key differences between a legitimate scientific report and just a casual explanation.


What are you talking about? The study I quoted is what I'm talking about.

PLAYER57832 wrote:MY issue is not really with the report.. it delineates what it does and does not say pretty clearly, it is with your claims of what the report says and what the data means. I already explained that.


Yeah, you didn't do a good job explaining it. That's what this discussion is about. The question is why do women have abortions. I've given you my answer which includes data. You've given me your answer which includes no data. Find some data.

PLAYER57832 wrote:I don’t use the “pro choice” or “pro life” labels, because they are political attempts to sway people. Abortion is not really a “choice”, like getting a fruit drink, any more than someone cutting off their leg or arm are “just a choice”. Both “choices” needs to be legal for when necessary. The “pro life” movement is not about all life, they don’t consider the mother’s life, sometimes not at all and sometimes only in the most extreme cases. They, for example, dismiss the idea that a woman wanting to have children in the future might be a legitimate reason for an abortion, but medically , it can be very legitimate, not to mention”socially” (if a woman can finish college, she can get a job that will support here children, and is more likely to meet a man who is also educated, who will help with the rearing financially and likely otherwise, etc). AND, many of those claiming that title are the same ones opposing universal healthcare and minimum wage laws. You cannot separate those issues, because they are very much tied.


You just used both the pro-choice and the pro-life labels, supporting one in the manner in which I have a problem and denigrating the other. Having an abortion is a choice; it may not be a "getting a fruit drink" choice; I would never suggest that. All the reasons you delineate are fine, legal reasons for a woman to have an abortion. Why do you need to use some other justification for abortion than those?

PLAYER57832 wrote:The Roman Catholic Church is quite clear that they think the “choice” a woman should make in that case is just to die, to forget about her life, her family and any future children she might have.


Actually, that's not true. According to the Catholic Church, as long as the medical professional seriously attempts to also save the fetus/baby's life, it is fine.

PLAYER57832 wrote:BUT.. their argument IS its “just a choice”. So yeah, my refutation is “no, its not just a choice”. And, the arguments of large swaths of the anti-legal abortion movement use that as their primary focus. “It’s a choice…. And those making that choice obviously don’t know what we know, so we every right to blast them with the most graphic and lurid photos, do whatever it takes to get these women to stop beings so stupid.


And that's why it's important to at least understand what the Catholic Church's position is and why your argument is inaccurate. In the case of a choice between having an abortion and not having an abortion (where the woman's life is not in danger), I don't have a problem with someone making a moral judgment against the woman. Legal judgement? No. Moral judgment? Okay.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6290
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: legal Abortion, why women have them, again..

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:42 am

ben1212 wrote:To all of you who have not yet read Freakonomics the book, read it. It talks about how abortion has helped lower crime rates since the 1990's I believe. I myself am against abortion but it is true that because many women in poor living conditions choose abortion and that if they do give birth to those children, they are very likely to be part of gangs and crime. Therefore, because of abortion, crime rate has been lowered.


It's a good read!
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 4989
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: legal Abortion, why women have them, again..

Postby ben1212 on Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:44 am

yes its very interesting
User avatar
Lieutenant ben1212
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat May 14, 2011 11:02 am
Medals: 13
Standard Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2)

Next

Return to Babble-On Five

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login