Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything!

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:02 pm

Those made me lol.
I am what I am.


What, you expected something deep or flashy?
User avatar
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy
 
Posts: 11617
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 11:20 am
Location: Back in Black
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby notyou2 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Have you tried the rice yet?
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant notyou2
 
Posts: 3594
Joined: Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:09 am
Location: In the here and now
Medals: 40
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (1)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby spurgistan on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:39 am

Having been here for a whole month, I'm easily 4 times the expert on Korea - nay, Asia - that ole Perchorin is.

Living in metro Seoul, I can vouch for it being the place where the worst of Korean culture and the worst of Western culture gets together.

It's funny, I wouldn't really know about the DPRK rattling sabers except for my family / friends back home asking me whats going on. Like I'd know. SK's are extremely used to the whole deal, really hard to overstate that.

As far as Korean men go, my complaint is that they all want to talk to the white westerner to work on their English skills. I get it, BUT I DIDN'T GO TO THIS RESTAURANT TO TALK TO YOU. SORRY.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.


Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
User avatar
Corporal spurgistan
 
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:30 pm
Location: Wormtown, MA, USA
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby perchorin on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:52 am

spurgistan wrote:Having been here for a whole month, I'm easily 4 times the expert on Korea - nay, Asia - that ole Perchorin is.

Living in metro Seoul, I can vouch for it being the place where the worst of Korean culture and the worst of Western culture gets together.

It's funny, I wouldn't really know about the DPRK rattling sabers except for my family / friends back home asking me whats going on. Like I'd know. SK's are extremely used to the whole deal, really hard to overstate that.

As far as Korean men go, my complaint is that they all want to talk to the white westerner to work on their English skills. I get it, BUT I DIDN'T GO TO THIS RESTAURANT TO TALK TO YOU. SORRY.

Oh padawan, just wait until the first time you go to the public baths. It's naked dude English practice time for all in there!
Image
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
User avatar
Major perchorin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:19 am
Location: Busan, South Korea
Medals: 121
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (28) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (1)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:43 am

So, the big question: is it a country worth visiting? Is any of the old culture intact, or is all of it a modern shithole that might as well be an Asian-flavoured Chicago?
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite
 
Posts: 11882
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
Medals: 136
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (19)
General Achievement (15) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (5) Tournament Contribution (31)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby perchorin on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:00 am

Dukasaur wrote:So, the big question: is it a country worth visiting? Is any of the old culture intact, or is all of it a modern shithole that might as well be an Asian-flavoured Chicago?

To be utterly and completely honest...if you're in this part of the world visit Japan, you'll have a much more enjoyable experience there and they've done a much better job of preserving their cultural history. Korea can be a great place to visit but only if you're willing or able to get out of the cities and see the countryside. That's where all the flavor is!
In a way it's not their fault--the Norks literally flattened everything south of the 38th parallel last time they decided to go adventuring.
Image
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
User avatar
Major perchorin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:19 am
Location: Busan, South Korea
Medals: 121
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (28) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (1)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby Symmetry on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:10 am

perchorin wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:So, the big question: is it a country worth visiting? Is any of the old culture intact, or is all of it a modern shithole that might as well be an Asian-flavoured Chicago?

To be utterly and completely honest...if you're in this part of the world visit Japan, you'll have a much more enjoyable experience there and they've done a much better job of preserving their cultural history. Korea can be a great place to visit but only if you're willing or able to get out of the cities and see the countryside. That's where all the flavor is!
In a way it's not their fault--the Norks literally flattened everything south of the 38th parallel last time they decided to go adventuring.


Thailand is fun.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby perchorin on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:33 am

Thought of something I wanted to add re: tourism. The biggest problem with tourism in Korea is the Koreans themselves. What Koreans believe westerners want to see and do, and what they find impressive here are seldom anywhere near what westerners actually want to see, do and find impressive. If you speak no Korean and are travelling on your own you'll likely be quite disappointed whereas travelling on your own in Japan is great fun and they really know how to present and market the sites that appeal to an international audience. On the other hand, when I've had friends or family visit me over here and I'm the one giving the tour, ordering what I know they'll like in a restaurant, taking them out at night, etc. they always leave thinking this place (Korea) is incredible. I'm really not sure why this is the case other than it's something to do with the Korean psyche being so very very different from our own. Maybe you could say that Japan is like vodka. Everyone can enjoy it and it goes well with everything. Korea is like tequila, it's better if you have someone who knows what they're doing along to show you the good stuff and it's something you need to be in the mood for.
Image
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
User avatar
Major perchorin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:19 am
Location: Busan, South Korea
Medals: 121
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (28) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (1)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby Symmetry on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:39 am

perchorin wrote:Thought of something I wanted to add re: tourism. The biggest problem with tourism in Korea is the Koreans themselves. What Koreans believe westerners want to see and do, and what they find impressive here are seldom anywhere near what westerners actually want to see, do and find impressive. If you speak no Korean and are travelling on your own you'll likely be quite disappointed whereas travelling on your own in Japan is great fun and they really know how to present and market the sites that appeal to an international audience. On the other hand, when I've had friends or family visit me over here and I'm the one giving the tour, ordering what I know they'll like in a restaurant, taking them out at night, etc. they always leave thinking this place (Korea) is incredible. I'm really not sure why this is the case other than it's something to do with the Korean psyche being so very very different from our own.


i visited SK as as tourist from Japan doing the same gig- Assistant language teacher. I agree.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry
 
Posts: 1776
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:49 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby betiko on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:49 pm

thanks for your answers! ;)
Image
User avatar
General betiko
 
Posts: 6255
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:05 pm
Location: J'vais vous montrer qui c'est Raoul
Medals: 163
Conquer Cup Gold Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (18) General Achievement (31) Clan Achievement (12) Training Achievement (2)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:40 pm

How many people over there have heard of or seen the TV show MASH?
I am what I am.


What, you expected something deep or flashy?
User avatar
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy
 
Posts: 11617
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 11:20 am
Location: Back in Black
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby perchorin on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:23 pm

betiko wrote:thanks for your answers! ;)

My pleasure!
muy_thaiguy wrote:How many people over there have heard of or seen the TV show MASH?

Very few, and none under the age of 50. I bet if you asked 100 American teenagers what MASH was you'd get less than 10% who knew though. Anyway I know I'm not going to shock anyone by telling you this, but South Korea and Southern California (where MASH was filmed) bear absolutely no resemblance to one another. Koreans do the same thing though, a few years ago they made a tv drama called "Love in Harvard" (East Asians tend to be fascinated with all things Ivy League) but they filmed it on the UCLA campus. I've been to both places and once again they bear absolutely no resemblance to one another. That's television for you though and at least neither show was passed off as news or a documentary.
Last edited by perchorin on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
User avatar
Major perchorin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:19 am
Location: Busan, South Korea
Medals: 121
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (28) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (1)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:32 pm

Good to know.
I am what I am.


What, you expected something deep or flashy?
User avatar
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy
 
Posts: 11617
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 11:20 am
Location: Back in Black
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby spurgistan on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:55 am

perchorin wrote:
betiko wrote:thanks for your answers! ;)

My pleasure!
muy_thaiguy wrote:How many people over there have heard of or seen the TV show MASH?

Very few, and none under the age of 50. I bet if you asked 100 American teenagers what MASH was you'd get less than 10% who knew though. Anyway I know I'm not going to shock anyone by telling you this, but South Korea and Southern California (where MASH was filmed) bear absolutely no resemblance to one another. Koreans do the same thing though, a few years ago they made a tv drama called "Love in Harvard" (East Asians tend to be fascinated with all things Ivy League) but they filmed it on the UCLA campus. I've been to both places and once again they bear absolutely no resemblance to one another. That's television for you though and at least neither show was passed off as news or a documentary.


Just to add to this - Uijeongbu-si (the setting of MASH) is a stop on the Seoul subway, easily the thing Koreans do the best relative to Americans. Even though its way on the other side of metropolitan Seoul from us (which, again, is about 1/4 of Korea) one of my friends took a 3 hour pilgrimage to go see it. It wasn't worth it.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.


Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
User avatar
Corporal spurgistan
 
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:30 pm
Location: Wormtown, MA, USA
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby spurgistan on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:57 am

Also, do Koreans ever drink soju not in beer? Haven't seen soju not be somaek.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.


Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
User avatar
Corporal spurgistan
 
Posts: 1589
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:30 pm
Location: Wormtown, MA, USA
Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby perchorin on Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:50 pm

spurgistan wrote:Also, do Koreans ever drink soju not in beer? Haven't seen soju not be somaek.

You better believe they do! That's like asking if people ever drink tequila not in margarita form. If all you're seeing is somaek it probably has more to do with the group of people you're eating out with more than anything. I'd take a stab and say you're working in a hagwon with 90% female staff right? Mostly 20s and 30s? Somaek wasn't even a thing until a few years ago. Let some of those middle-aged guys who wanna practice their English take you out for pork some night, they'll show you how it's done.
Image
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
User avatar
Major perchorin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:19 am
Location: Busan, South Korea
Medals: 121
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (28) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (1)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby 2dimes on Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:32 pm

spurgistan wrote:Also, do Koreans ever drink soju not in beer? Haven't seen soju not be somaek.

Follow up for really ignorant people. What is that stuff. I know what beer is...
User avatar
Private 1st Class 2dimes
 
Posts: 4066
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Just out for a rip!
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby perchorin on Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:47 pm

2dimes wrote:
spurgistan wrote:Also, do Koreans ever drink soju not in beer? Haven't seen soju not be somaek.

Follow up for really ignorant people. What is that stuff. I know what beer is...

Ah yeah sorry. Soju + Maekju (the Korean word for beer) = Somaek
It's basically a weak boilermaker.
Soju is generally consumed in straight shots.
Oh and if you don't know what soju is, think half-strength vodka sold in 330cc bottles for about $1.50 US.
It's no mystery why the Koreans have been referred to as the Irish of Asia.
Image
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
User avatar
Major perchorin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:19 am
Location: Busan, South Korea
Medals: 121
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (28) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (1)

Postby 2dimes on Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:24 am

Interesting thanks.

Most of my very favorite booze is from Ireland. No wonder they drink a lot.
User avatar
Private 1st Class 2dimes
 
Posts: 4066
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Just out for a rip!
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby nagerous on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:02 pm

Spurgistan, Perchorin...

So when Kim Jong Un is advising all foreign nationals to get out of S Korea as he is going to bomb the shit out of it, does this not generate an atmosphere of tension between you and your pals or are you all still as calm as hindu cows?

Image
Image
User avatar
Captain nagerous
 
Posts: 8121
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:39 am
Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (14)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby perchorin on Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:51 pm

nagerous wrote:Spurgistan, Perchorin...

So when Kim Jong Un is advising all foreign nationals to get out of S Korea as he is going to bomb the shit out of it, does this not generate an atmosphere of tension between you and your pals or are you all still as calm as hindu cows?

Image

Image
Image
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
User avatar
Major perchorin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:19 am
Location: Busan, South Korea
Medals: 121
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (28) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (1)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby Roussallier on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:23 am

Great topic

I moved to Thailand after finishing my Army contract. When you sign it, you're agreeing to be re-called to active duty if shit hits the fan. Nothing stateside has any useful information on the tension in the region.

I taught English for a year here, but I just left.

In general, are Korean students respectful during classes? Are they motivated to make something of themselves or coast through school?
Image
If my timer is low, please contact Violet, Janomike, or stotzi
User avatar
Colonel Roussallier
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:05 am
Location: Land of Smiles
Medals: 37
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (3)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby perchorin on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:09 pm

Roussallier wrote:Great topic

I moved to Thailand after finishing my Army contract. When you sign it, you're agreeing to be re-called to active duty if shit hits the fan. Nothing stateside has any useful information on the tension in the region.

I taught English for a year here, but I just left.

In general, are Korean students respectful during classes? Are they motivated to make something of themselves or coast through school?

Thanks mate! How do you like life in Thailand? My wife and me plan to retire someday down that direction, though we're leaning more towards The Philippines right now. Did you work in a hagwon? How'd you like it?

Korean students of days gone by had a reputation for being highly respectful of their teachers and relatively superior students when it comes to work ethic. This reputation was entirely deserved and it hasn't entirely changed but it is significantly different now. To be honest, I work in a private, selective admission high school so I see only the best and brightest kids every day. I'm very spoiled in that respect. Before that I worked solely in universities and adult language schools so I've never actually been a teacher in an elementary or middle school setting. That being said, the news is filled with stories of kids gone wild in the classroom, students attacking teachers and most disturbingly sexual assault of all kinds. It's actually easy enough to explain why this is happening now though. Remember (if you're old enough) the fall of the Soviet Union? It was chaos and that's kind of what's going on in the schools nowadays. In the past there was respect for teachers sure, but it was respect (more likely fear) gained at the end of a very hard rod wielded liberally by almost every teacher. These kids used to get beat like Ukrainian Jews! Then there was kind of a liberal revolution in the education sector and they decided kids shouldn't get beat on anymore. That's fine and good, but to go from one extreme to the other in a short period of time, well you get the aftermath of the fall of the Soviet Union is what you get. All in all however, students here are still much better behaved than similar aged students in the US.

Like everywhere else, Korea has it's motivated students and it's slackers. The problem here is, in many respects your entire future can be decided by what schools you attend, even as early as middle school. This may not actually be the case, but public perception certainly believes it to be so it may as well be reality. This puts tremendous pressure on the kids to study hard and do well from a very young age. Some kids handle the pressure, some don't. The ones who don't handle it become your slackers in the best case or another statistic in the country with the highest teen suicide rate in the world in the worst case. Simply put, education here is an extreme environment of cutthroat competition. Whether that's a good or bad thing I leave that to you all to decide.
Image
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
User avatar
Major perchorin
 
Posts: 1853
Joined: Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:19 am
Location: Busan, South Korea
Medals: 121
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (28) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (1)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby nietzsche on Wed Apr 10, 2013 7:58 pm

5 pages and still no picture of perchorin fucking the wife?
betiko wrote:it really hurt. I learned a few years later that I was doing it wrong, i was inserting them in my anus

DoomYoshi wrote:ffs nietzche, sitting in the library at school and bam - vaginas all over the screen

betiko wrote:Saxi, you have rotten balls necrosing your sack.
User avatar
Major nietzsche
 
Posts: 2229
Joined: Sun Feb 11, 2007 1:29 am
Location: Fantasy Cooperstown
Medals: 41
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Contribution (1)

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby MudPuppy on Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:15 pm

How would you say the mating rituals of high schoolers in Korea compare to those of their Western counterparts? My wife & kids are hooked on Korean dramas where there is often a season-long build-up to a single kiss. Does a kiss in Korea mean more than one in the U.S.?... or is it just portrayed that way on TV?
Image
User avatar
Colonel MudPuppy
 
Posts: 1738
Joined: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:50 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Medals: 102
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (30) General Achievement (14)
Clan Achievement (11) Training Achievement (8) General Contribution (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Babble-On Five

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login