Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything!

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Discussions Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Been living in South Korea 13 years now, ask me anything

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:02 pm

Those made me lol.
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby notyou2 on Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Have you tried the rice yet?
Lieutenant notyou2

Medals: 39
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (3)
General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (4) Training Achievement (1)

Postby spurgistan on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:39 am

Having been here for a whole month, I'm easily 4 times the expert on Korea - nay, Asia - that ole Perchorin is.

Living in metro Seoul, I can vouch for it being the place where the worst of Korean culture and the worst of Western culture gets together.

It's funny, I wouldn't really know about the DPRK rattling sabers except for my family / friends back home asking me whats going on. Like I'd know. SK's are extremely used to the whole deal, really hard to overstate that.

As far as Korean men go, my complaint is that they all want to talk to the white westerner to work on their English skills. I get it, BUT I DIDN'T GO TO THIS RESTAURANT TO TALK TO YOU. SORRY.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Corporal spurgistan

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby perchorin on Sun Apr 07, 2013 5:52 am

spurgistan wrote:Having been here for a whole month, I'm easily 4 times the expert on Korea - nay, Asia - that ole Perchorin is.

Living in metro Seoul, I can vouch for it being the place where the worst of Korean culture and the worst of Western culture gets together.

It's funny, I wouldn't really know about the DPRK rattling sabers except for my family / friends back home asking me whats going on. Like I'd know. SK's are extremely used to the whole deal, really hard to overstate that.

As far as Korean men go, my complaint is that they all want to talk to the white westerner to work on their English skills. I get it, BUT I DIDN'T GO TO THIS RESTAURANT TO TALK TO YOU. SORRY.

Oh padawan, just wait until the first time you go to the public baths. It's naked dude English practice time for all in there!
Silvanus wrote:perch is a North Korean agent to infiltrate south Korean girls
Captain perchorin

Medals: 119
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (28) General Achievement (8)
Clan Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (1)

Postby Dukasaur on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:43 am

So, the big question: is it a country worth visiting? Is any of the old culture intact, or is all of it a modern shithole that might as well be an Asian-flavoured Chicago?
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite

Medals: 126
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (18)
General Achievement (13) Clan Achievement (5) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (31)

Postby perchorin on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:00 am

Dukasaur wrote:So, the big question: is it a country worth visiting? Is any of the old culture intact, or is all of it a modern shithole that might as well be an Asian-flavoured Chicago?

To be utterly and completely honest...if you're in this part of the world visit Japan, you'll have a much more enjoyable experience there and they've done a much better job of preserving their cultural history. Korea can be a great place to visit but only if you're willing or able to get out of the cities and see the countryside. That's where all the flavor is!
In a way it's not their fault--the Norks literally flattened everything south of the 38th parallel last time they decided to go adventuring.
Captain perchorin

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (28) General Achievement (8)
Clan Achievement (11) Challenge Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (12) General Contribution (1)

Postby Symmetry on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:10 am

perchorin wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:So, the big question: is it a country worth visiting? Is any of the old culture intact, or is all of it a modern shithole that might as well be an Asian-flavoured Chicago?

To be utterly and completely honest...if you're in this part of the world visit Japan, you'll have a much more enjoyable experience there and they've done a much better job of preserving their cultural history. Korea can be a great place to visit but only if you're willing or able to get out of the cities and see the countryside. That's where all the flavor is!
In a way it's not their fault--the Norks literally flattened everything south of the 38th parallel last time they decided to go adventuring.

Thailand is fun.
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Postby perchorin on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:33 am

Thought of something I wanted to add re: tourism. The biggest problem with tourism in Korea is the Koreans themselves. What Koreans believe westerners want to see and do, and what they find impressive here are seldom anywhere near what westerners actually want to see, do and find impressive. If you speak no Korean and are travelling on your own you'll likely be quite disappointed whereas travelling on your own in Japan is great fun and they really know how to present and market the sites that appeal to an international audience. On the other hand, when I've had friends or family visit me over here and I'm the one giving the tour, ordering what I know they'll like in a restaurant, taking them out at night, etc. they always leave thinking this place (Korea) is incredible. I'm really not sure why this is the case other than it's something to do with the Korean psyche being so very very different from our own. Maybe you could say that Japan is like vodka. Everyone can enjoy it and it goes well with everything. Korea is like tequila, it's better if you have someone who knows what they're doing along to show you the good stuff and it's something you need to be in the mood for.
Captain perchorin

Postby Symmetry on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:39 am

perchorin wrote:Thought of something I wanted to add re: tourism. The biggest problem with tourism in Korea is the Koreans themselves. What Koreans believe westerners want to see and do, and what they find impressive here are seldom anywhere near what westerners actually want to see, do and find impressive. If you speak no Korean and are travelling on your own you'll likely be quite disappointed whereas travelling on your own in Japan is great fun and they really know how to present and market the sites that appeal to an international audience. On the other hand, when I've had friends or family visit me over here and I'm the one giving the tour, ordering what I know they'll like in a restaurant, taking them out at night, etc. they always leave thinking this place (Korea) is incredible. I'm really not sure why this is the case other than it's something to do with the Korean psyche being so very very different from our own.

i visited SK as as tourist from Japan doing the same gig- Assistant language teacher. I agree.
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Postby betiko on Sun Apr 07, 2013 6:49 pm

thanks for your answers! ;)
Brigadier betiko
SoC Training Adviser

Medals: 149
Conquer Cup Gold Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (30) Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (2)

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:40 pm

How many people over there have heard of or seen the TV show MASH?

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Postby perchorin on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:23 pm

betiko wrote:thanks for your answers! ;)

My pleasure!
muy_thaiguy wrote:How many people over there have heard of or seen the TV show MASH?

Very few, and none under the age of 50. I bet if you asked 100 American teenagers what MASH was you'd get less than 10% who knew though. Anyway I know I'm not going to shock anyone by telling you this, but South Korea and Southern California (where MASH was filmed) bear absolutely no resemblance to one another. Koreans do the same thing though, a few years ago they made a tv drama called "Love in Harvard" (East Asians tend to be fascinated with all things Ivy League) but they filmed it on the UCLA campus. I've been to both places and once again they bear absolutely no resemblance to one another. That's television for you though and at least neither show was passed off as news or a documentary.
Last edited by perchorin on Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Captain perchorin

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:32 pm

Good to know.

Postby spurgistan on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:55 am

perchorin wrote:
betiko wrote:thanks for your answers! ;)

My pleasure!
muy_thaiguy wrote:How many people over there have heard of or seen the TV show MASH?

Very few, and none under the age of 50. I bet if you asked 100 American teenagers what MASH was you'd get less than 10% who knew though. Anyway I know I'm not going to shock anyone by telling you this, but South Korea and Southern California (where MASH was filmed) bear absolutely no resemblance to one another. Koreans do the same thing though, a few years ago they made a tv drama called "Love in Harvard" (East Asians tend to be fascinated with all things Ivy League) but they filmed it on the UCLA campus. I've been to both places and once again they bear absolutely no resemblance to one another. That's television for you though and at least neither show was passed off as news or a documentary.

Just to add to this - Uijeongbu-si (the setting of MASH) is a stop on the Seoul subway, easily the thing Koreans do the best relative to Americans. Even though its way on the other side of metropolitan Seoul from us (which, again, is about 1/4 of Korea) one of my friends took a 3 hour pilgrimage to go see it. It wasn't worth it.

Corporal spurgistan

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby spurgistan on Mon Apr 08, 2013 7:57 am

Also, do Koreans ever drink soju not in beer? Haven't seen soju not be somaek.

Corporal spurgistan

Ratings Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?