Conquer Club

Gun Control

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Background Checks/Gun Control: Do They Work?

Postby greenoaks on Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:44 pm

did anyone see part 1 of the Gun Debate interview by John Oliver on The Daily Show?

background checks and a ban on assault weapons has been attempted by a nation and has been successful.

Australia has had ZERO massacres since, murders involving a gun halved, teenage suicides slashed.

if you think you shouldn't have background checks because criminals will bypass them, why do you have any laws at all?
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby mizery24 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:52 pm

Forget guns! What about background checks for pressure cookers?
Corporal mizery24

Postby rdsrds2120 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 7:55 pm

mizery24 wrote:Forget guns! What about background checks for pressure cookers?

Haha, my first thought was hunting deer with a pressure cooker.

BMO
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120

Postby mizery24 on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:03 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
mizery24 wrote:Forget guns! What about background checks for pressure cookers?

Haha, my first thought was hunting deer with a pressure cooker.

BMO

Might work well, all you need is a pressure cooker bomb, corn, and a cell phone!
Corporal mizery24

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:53 pm

greenoaks wrote:did anyone see part 1 of the Gun Debate interview by John Oliver on The Daily Show?

background checks and a ban on assault weapons has been attempted by a nation and has been successful.

Australia has had ZERO massacres since, murders involving a gun halved, teenage suicides slashed.

if you think you shouldn't have background checks because criminals will bypass them, why do you have any laws at all?

Well, we do have laws, including background checks. The Sandy Hook massacre was committed by a man who would not have passed a background check and would not have been able to purchase a gun. Instead, he stole the guns from his mother (and killed her). In other words, he illegally obtained the guns. As indicated above, 50% to 80% of gun murders that occur in Philadelphia are committed with guns that were obtained illegally.

An assault weapons ban, like the US had in the 1990s and early 2000s, would ban (for the 10th fucking time) semi-automatic weapons that look like automatic weapons. In other words, you can buy the same weapon as long as it doesn't look like an automatic weapon.

In sum... the laws that we currently have are as effective as they can be and the laws being proposed will not add any effectiveness.

In further sum, Chicago and DC have among the highest murder rates in the United States... and they have the strictest gun control laws.

In final sum, I don't know what to tell you dude. What works in Australia apparently doesn't work in the United States.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby greenoaks on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:03 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
greenoaks wrote:did anyone see part 1 of the Gun Debate interview by John Oliver on The Daily Show?

Well, we do have laws, including background checks. The Sandy Hook massacre was committed by a man who would not have passed a background check and would not have been able to purchase a gun. Instead, he stole the guns from his mother (and killed her). In other words, he illegally obtained the guns. As indicated above, 50% to 80% of gun murders that occur in Philadelphia are committed with guns that were obtained illegally.

An assault weapons ban, like the US had in the 1990s and early 2000s, would ban (for the 10th fucking time) semi-automatic weapons that look like automatic weapons. In other words, you can buy the same weapon as long as it doesn't look like an automatic weapon.

In sum... the laws that we currently have are as effective as they can be and the laws being proposed will not add any effectiveness.

In further sum, Chicago and DC have among the highest murder rates in the United States... and they have the strictest gun control laws.

In final sum, I don't know what to tell you dude. What works in Australia apparently doesn't work in the United States.

you haven't tried what worked in Australia.

our leader called the leader of the National Party (farmers & country folk) to his office and gave him a deadline. tell him what a farmer requires and convince him why that gun is required. everything else was banned and a buy-back program introduced. we didn't just introduce a ban on assualt weapons, we removed a large number of hand guns too.
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby Lootifer on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:23 pm

To clarify here; Australia banned semi automatic weapons correct? (Not assault weapons as suggested by US govt).

Additionally as harsh as this will sound; massacres are kind of a moot point here. They are caused by mental illness and dont really have a lot to do with gun laws. What we should be looking at is the ratio between murder rate and violent crime, and then considering violent crime in general.
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby Night Strike on Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:29 pm

Lootifer wrote:To clarify here; Australia banned semi automatic weapons correct? (Not assault weapons as suggested by US govt).

The US and state governments have been trying to ban semi-automatic weapons. They just use the term "assault weapons" to make it seem like they're only trying to ban automatic weapons, which were already banned.
Major Night Strike

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:42 am

Lootifer wrote:To clarify here; Australia banned semi automatic weapons correct? (Not assault weapons as suggested by US govt).

Additionally as harsh as this will sound; massacres are kind of a moot point here. They are caused by mental illness and dont really have a lot to do with gun laws. What we should be looking at is the ratio between murder rate and violent crime, and then considering violent crime in general.

The more reasonable you sound, the less votes you'll inspire.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:34 am

The truth will set you free

Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:07 am

I'm sure by now many of you have heard about the 8th grader arrested for wearing an NRA shirt to school (yeah right... :P)

For those of you who have, you may or may not be tickled by this....

Disciplined 8th-grader Jared Marcum returned to class on Monday after being suspended from school and arrested for refusing to change his NRA t-shirt at the request of one of his teachers. The shirt apparently pictured a firearm and the words “protect your rights.”

However, he apparently hasn’t learned his lesson — assuming that there was even any lesson to be learned. Fresh off his suspension, Marcum showed up to school on Monday wearing the exact same NRA shirt that sparked what many have labeled “t-shirt control.”

There were also other people wearing matching shirts in support of Marcum, WOWK-TV reports.

“There’s a lot of people wearing this same exact shirt, showing great, great support and I really appreciate it,” the student said Monday before going to school.

I gotta admit, this gives me a warm fuzzy tingle running up my leg...
Major Phatscotty

Postby mizery24 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 4:51 am

Laws are made to be broken
Corporal mizery24

Postby greenoaks on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:02 am

Lootifer wrote:Additionally as harsh as this will sound; massacres are kind of a moot point here. They are caused by mental illness and dont really have a lot to do with gun laws. What we should be looking at is the ratio between murder rate and violent crime, and then considering violent crime in general.

i agree, however if someone is unstable their ability to access a firearm becomes relevent.

as a wise man anti gun-control advocate once said 'american has a lot of swimming pools. children don't drown in yards without pools.'
Sergeant greenoaks

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:09 am

greenoaks wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:

you haven't tried what worked in Australia.

our leader called the leader of the National Party (farmers & country folk) to his office and gave him a deadline. tell him what a farmer requires and convince him why that gun is required. everything else was banned and a buy-back program introduced. we didn't just introduce a ban on assualt weapons, we removed a large number of hand guns too.

Okay, but those laws aren't being proposed here guys. And that's kind of my point.

US Gun Control Advocates wrote:Oh my GOD! WE NEED TO DO THIS RIGHT NOW! We need to ban assault weapons because they cause people to do assaults on mostly children! If we ban them, we'll be safe! Please also vote for me in the next election so I can keep your family safe from assault weapon wielding psychos. Also background checks need to work better! What? Murders in Chicago? No, we don't care about that right now. We'll get to that later.

NRA Hand Wringers wrote:Oh my GOD! They are trying to take away all our guns! And by all our guns, I mean just the ones that kind of look like military-grade weapons which we could still technically use, just not as military grade weapons. Also, background checks?!?!? What the f*ck? We've had those for years and years and years, but still... they infringe upon our right to form militias... I mean individually own weapons as guaranteed by the Third Amend... wait, what's that Gary... oh right... as guaranteed by the Second Amendment.

You want to solve gun violence in the United States? Fix education. Get Democratic governors the f*ck out of large cities and install Republicans. Fix the judicial system in big cities.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:56 am

Phatscotty wrote:The truth will set you free

That's an interesting graph. Not sure how true it is (no scale for "gun violence"), but there may be a relationship between voting and gun violence. Not sure if presidential votes matter as much as voting Democratic or Republic. (Of course, what's fraudulent great about statistics is that you can keep digging until you find your desired correlation).
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Woodruff on Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:52 am

Phatscotty wrote:I'm sure by now many of you have heard about the 8th grader arrested for wearing an NRA shirt to school (yeah right... :P)

I actually hadn't heard about this.

Disciplined 8th-grader Jared Marcum returned to class on Monday after being suspended from school and arrested for refusing to change his NRA t-shirt at the request of one of his teachers. The shirt apparently pictured a firearm and the words “protect your rights.”

That's kinda dumb. How do they justify it? Just that it's "offensive"? I mean, I know our school has rules against someone wearing clothing that has swear words on it or that seems to promote killing (I don't know the exact words), but I don't see how a shirt by that description would be considered even offensive.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby rdsrds2120 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:57 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:

That's an interesting graph. Not sure how true it is (no scale for "gun violence"), but there may be a relationship between voting and gun violence. Not sure if presidential votes matter as much as voting Democratic or Republic. (Of course, what's fraudulent great about statistics is that you can keep digging until you find your desired correlation).

Yes, such as places that are demographically dense/populous tend to vote left-leaning, and that cities with higher population always tend to have a higher number of crime incidents overall, not only gun violence. Are the two related? Perhaps, but there's no way to know with only a graph as informative as what we have here :P

BMO

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:41 pm

Woodruff wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:I'm sure by now many of you have heard about the 8th grader arrested for wearing an NRA shirt to school (yeah right... :P)

I actually hadn't heard about this.

That's kinda dumb. How do they justify it? Just that it's "offensive"? I mean, I know our school has rules against someone wearing clothing that has swear words on it or that seems to promote killing (I don't know the exact words), but I don't see how a shirt by that description would be considered even offensive.

Actually, from the stories I have read, it seems like it wasn't "the school" as much as it was one teacher. Apparently (according to students interviewed), this is one of those teachers that actively brainwashes the students with leftism, and also has some pull in the school being one of the more active members of the teachers union, and a huge Obama supporter. It actually makes perfect sense when you look at it on an individual level.

Some might also remember something similar recently, with the kid that got suspended for wearing an American flag t-shirt on Cinco de Mayo (Arizona I think)
Major Phatscotty

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:43 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

Yes, such as places that are demographically dense/populous tend to vote left-leaning, and that cities with higher population always tend to have a higher number of crime incidents overall, not only gun violence. Are the two related? Perhaps, but there's no way to know with only a graph as informative as what we have here :P

BMO

Who cares about omitting relevant variables?!? Stop questioning PS' ideology!!!!! :evil:
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:43 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:

BMO

There are a few things that can be seen here. Another one, is all the blue areas where the gun crime is high, is where all the strictest "gun control" is.
Major Phatscotty

Re: Gun Control

Postby Lootifer on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:47 pm

But its not binary PS; its not:

- More [or less] guns = less crime/murder
- Less [or more] guns = more crime/murder

Its:
- More guns sometimes means more crime/murder
- More guns sometimes means less crime/murder
- Less guns sometimes means more crime/murder
- Less guns sometimes means less crime/murder
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:50 pm

Lootifer wrote:But its not binary PS; its not:

- More [or less] guns = less crime/murder
- Less [or more] guns = more crime/murder

Its:
- More guns sometimes means more crime/murder
- More guns sometimes means less crime/murder
- Less guns sometimes means more crime/murder
- Less guns sometimes means less crime/murder

I agree, it's not always true that more guns equals less crime/murder. It's just that way most of the time and in most places (in my country)
Major Phatscotty

Postby rdsrds2120 on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:10 pm

Phatscotty wrote:There are a few things that can be seen here. Another one, is all the blue areas where the gun crime is high, is where all the strictest "gun control" is.

If that's true, it could be that since the nature of the demographic tends to have more frequent crimes, that the gun control was in response. No matter which way you twist it, there is simply no way to conclusively derive anything about the effects of gun control/violence from that graph.

BMO

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:11 pm

rdsrds2120 wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:There are a few things that can be seen here. Another one, is all the blue areas where the gun crime is high, is where all the strictest "gun control" is.

If that's true, it could be that since the nature of the demographic tends to have more frequent crimes, that the gun control was in response. No matter which way you twist it, there is simply no way to conclusively derive anything about the effects of gun control/violence from that graph.

BMO

You sure? How about Red counties have lower gun crime than blue counties?
Major Phatscotty

Postby Lootifer on Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:14 pm

Lieutenant Lootifer

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,