Conquer Club

Game of Thrones (series spoiling only!)

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Game of Thrones (series spoiling only!)

Postby betiko on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:36 am

ok, I get your point of view. And is the ungreatfulness to mormont another one, or you don't care about him?

anyways, I think that she is pure hearted and we know where she comes from. She was that inocent little bird thrown to the wolves by her brother, and she has been full of surprises all along, being under estimated and having actually lots of guts and balls. She is being insanely lucky lately, that's why we're all saying this. Maybe JRRM is trying to turn a hero into a anti hero lately...
like jaimie now that was one of the biggest scums that is becoming one of the coolest heroes.

Anyway, there is going to be some treasons and conflicts for sure between all 4 of daenery's lieutenants. mormont/mercernary for love (and I give no chance to mormont to win her heart, which he might not take the nice way); mormont/the old king guard to be the top lieutenant... I only see grey worm not entering in those conflicts and I see mormont as a future problem for her.
Major betiko

Postby waauw on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:38 am

betiko wrote:well pretty sure they are going to need to help each other against the white walkers, and it's not with a couple of daggers and arrows that they will get rid of all of them. Brann has kind of gone for a "frodo in mordor" quest and will be very important I guess.
Other than this, seems like stannis is up for some white walkers action, lannisters/freys/boltons/tyrells/arryns/targaryens don't seem to care or to be aware of it yet. Greyjoys still have other stuff to deal with.
And still no martells in play?

oh and the season finale's cliffhanger is total crap. i was watching it through streaming and it got blocked just when the daenerys scene came up. Had to wait 40 minutes to watch the end of the episode... for this????

but yeah waauw, I said this a few episodes ago, also think some crap will happen to daenerys, she is on such a win streak that something bad needs to happen. y the way, I had a games of throne conversation with a friend on sunday, and I was surprised to hear that daenerys was one of his most hated characters. I really thought everyone liked her, she is depicted as a very positive character in my opinion. Maybe a macho thing, he doesn't like powerful women? I don't get it. Anyone else here doesn't like her?

well I guess they'll have to introduce the martells next season.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby waauw on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:40 am

betiko wrote:ok, I get your point of view. And is the ungreatfulness to mormont another one, or you don't care about him?

anyways, I think that she is pure hearted and we know where she comes from. She was that inocent little bird thrown to the wolves by her brother, and she has been full of surprises all along, being under estimated and having actually lots of guts and balls. She is being insanely lucky lately, that's why we're all saying this. Maybe JRRM is trying to turn a hero into a anti hero lately...
like jaimie now that was one of the biggest scums that is becoming one of the coolest heroes.

Anyway, there is going to be some treasons and conflicts for sure between all 4 of daenery's lieutenants. mormont/mercernary for love (and I give no chance to mormont to win her heart, which he might not take the nice way); mormont/the old king guard to be the top lieutenant... I only see grey worm not entering in those conflicts and I see mormont as a future problem for her.

well one thing that could also get interesting is that so far she and her army haven't had a real battle yet. It's all tricks and cheats so far.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby betiko on Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:47 am

waauw wrote:
betiko wrote:ok, I get your point of view. And is the ungreatfulness to mormont another one, or you don't care about him?

well one thing that could also get interesting is that so far she and her army haven't had a real battle yet. It's all tricks and cheats so far.

also the slaves she just freed are no soldiers. But I kind of disagee on this... unless there is a coalition against daenerys, or the lord of light that actually becomes handy during a war... 3 dragons, daario naharis, 8000 bad ass soldiers + 200 000 freed slaves... who can compete?

oh and also there was nothing this season about arya's assassin friend that gave her the coin, he is probably one of the most powerfull men in the realm. if he goes against daenerys that could be a pain in her butt.
Major betiko

Postby kizkiz on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:14 am

betiko wrote:
waauw wrote:
betiko wrote:
oh and also there was nothing this season about arya's assassin friend that gave her the coin, he is probably one of the most powerfull men in the realm. if he goes against daenerys that could be a pain in her butt.

He is a faceless man. They are mentioned plenty. they're effectively the most expensive assassin you can buy. He certainly isn't the only one
Major kizkiz

Postby Gillipig on Tue Jun 11, 2013 9:28 am

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
betiko wrote: y the way, I had a games of throne conversation with a friend on sunday, and I was surprised to hear that daenerys was one of his most hated characters. I really thought everyone liked her, she is depicted as a very positive character in my opinion. Maybe a macho thing, he doesn't like powerful women? I don't get it. Anyone else here doesn't like her?

I hate her guts.
It has nothing to do with being a strong woman. I don't even see her as that strong of a woman. f*ck almost every other woman in this series seems to be at least as strong as her. Catelyn, Cersey, Shea, Arya, Margaery, the older Tyrell woman.
Daenerys is more of an arrogant, naive child who somehow always wins. She really sticks out like a sore thumb in a world that is otherwise dark and gritty. How many ridiculous mistakes has she made now? How many times would she have died if she were another character? Seriously, lets just count the ridiculously lucky breaks that she got with no effort on her part: Being let into Qarth because of that guy's machinations. Being severely underestimated by the warlocks. Being severely underestimated by the slave owner guy to the point that his actions are idiotic. The mercenary guy betraying his friends for no adequate reason and joining her instead of killing her. Surviving two? assassination attempts through sheer, blind luck. What else? I'm sure I'm missing some.

And what has she actually done? Directly caused her husband's death, (this was back when her stupidity/naivete was still being punished) and now appears to have set out on some misguided quests to end slavery in the world. How was that last scene not incredibly cringe-worthy? She says "you owe me nothing" to the great unwashed masses that she has liberated and then they worship her as mother. Is she the second coming of Christ and thus her incredible streak of luck is due to god's favour? Otherwise her story-line makes no fuckin' sense in a world that's supposed to be realistic and gritty.

Daenerys is basically the equivalent of putting John McClane in The Godfather trilogy. It makes no fuckin' sense and undermines the tone of all the other stuff going on. Now that she has the inevitable mercenary/love interest who might as well be called "prince charming", I'm really starting to get scared that she might be GRRM's Mary Sue, which would really be a huge downer.
I really, REALLY, hope GRRM is pulling my leg on this one and that she will meet a gruesome fate (or at least some huge setback that teaches her to smarten the f*ck up). On the other hand he might be keeping her as to throw a bone to the people who just want fairytale escapism and cannot handle a realistic, dramatic tale without a "knight in shinning armour" character.

Phew. I think that rant was good for me. Had that stuff pent up for too long.

One question, no puns intended or anything; have you read the books?
I largely agree with what you're saying, I also cringed when they started calling her mother and worshiping her (that happened in the book as well but I just fast read past it). It made little sense and that's particularly painful to see in a series that is otherwise pretty logical. Things don't go your way unless you do all the right things and even then you're not safe from bad luck (ex, Tyrion did nothing wrong and still got thrown in jail for the murder attempt on Bran). But if your name is Daenarys, you're safe. She's almost as naive as her brother and while he was very openly arrogant, her arrogance is more subtle but you can definitely tell that it runs in the family. You forgot to mention that time when she was about to drink poison but Jorah saved her. She's basically a naive duckling that only survives because Mr Martin needed her to. He thought of this character he wanted to include, realized she would have to live for a long time in the book, but couldn't quite make it seem likely that she actually would, if this was a real world. But hey, the man has done so many things right, Tyrion is a master stroke for example.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby waauw on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:12 pm

Gillipig wrote:One question, no puns intended or anything; have you read the books?
I largely agree with what you're saying, I also cringed when they started calling her mother and worshiping her (that happened in the book as well but I just fast read past it). It made little sense and that's particularly painful to see in a series that is otherwise pretty logical. Things don't go your way unless you do all the right things and even then you're not safe from bad luck (ex, Tyrion did nothing wrong and still got thrown in jail for the murder attempt on Bran). But if your name is Daenarys, you're safe. She's almost as naive as her brother and while he was very openly arrogant, her arrogance is more subtle but you can definitely tell that it runs in the family. You forgot to mention that time when she was about to drink poison but Jorah saved her. She's basically a naive duckling that only survives because Mr Martin needed her to. He thought of this character he wanted to include, realized she would have to live for a long time in the book, but couldn't quite make it seem likely that she actually would, if this was a real world. But hey, the man has done so many things right, Tyrion is a master stroke for example.

well maybe he is building up positivity to make it all come crashing down, which is why we love mr. martin's work :)
'the bigger the rise, the bigger the fall'
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Tue Jun 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Gillipig wrote:One question, no puns intended or anything; have you read the books?

No. I'm gonna wait and see if he actually finishes them before starting reading.

And yeah, the Daenerys storyline just seems so shitty compared to all the others. I really don't get how they were all written by the same guy.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby waauw on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:05 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:

No. I'm gonna wait and see if he actually finishes them before starting reading.

And yeah, the Daenerys storyline just seems so shitty compared to all the others. I really don't get how they were all written by the same guy.

one word... "Drugs"
a couple of smokes and you'll make up stories all the time
Lieutenant waauw

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:13 pm

Haggis nailed it. I also hate Daenerys. Martin has really made some leeway for her compared to other characters, which I think, as I mentioned a while back, is why she is groomed for conquering Westeros.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby ooge on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:19 pm

betiko wrote:well pretty sure they are going to need to help each other against the white walkers, and it's not with a couple of daggers and arrows that they will get rid of all of them. Brann has kind of gone for a "frodo in mordor" quest and will be very important I guess.
Other than this, seems like stannis is up for some white walkers action, lannisters/freys/boltons/tyrells/arryns/targaryens don't seem to care or to be aware of it yet. Greyjoys still have other stuff to deal with.

oh and the season finale's cliffhanger is total crap. i was watching it through streaming and it got blocked just when the daenerys scene came up. Had to wait 40 minutes to watch the end of the episode... for this????

but yeah waauw, I said this a few episodes ago, also think some crap will happen to daenerys, she is on such a win streak that something bad needs to happen. y the way, I had a games of throne conversation with a friend on sunday, and I was surprised to hear that daenerys was one of his most hated characters. I really thought everyone liked her, she is depicted as a very positive character in my opinion. Maybe a macho thing, he doesn't like powerful women? I don't get it. Anyone else here doesn't like her?

The only time I liked her was the first time we saw her, :lol: its been down hill ever sense.
Captain ooge

Postby waauw on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:21 pm

ooge wrote:

The only time I liked her was the first time we saw her, :lol: its been down hill ever sense.

Seriously? I really liked the scene where she burned that city of unsolid-trainers
Lieutenant waauw

Postby ooge on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:25 pm

waauw wrote:
ooge wrote:

Seriously? I really liked the scene where she burned that city of unsolid-trainers

unlike other moments in this series I saw that one coming,to obvious for me.
Captain ooge

Postby waauw on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:37 pm

This is my favorite scene of this season. I always love how Varys and Littlefinger are such well thought out characters.

Lieutenant waauw

Postby ooge on Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:59 pm

waauw wrote:This is my favorite scene of this season. I always love how Varys and Littlefinger are such well thought out characters.

That was a good one to be sure,the interaction between Tyrion and Tywin(I hope I have the names right :lol: ) have been great scenes as well.
Captain ooge

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:19 pm

waauw wrote:This is my favorite scene of this season. I always love how Varys and Littlefinger are such well thought out characters.

Yeah, that one was great. Gave me chills the first time I saw it. Amazing how if you try to objectively describe Varys and Baelish they seem like almost the same person (spymaster, influential at court, upstart from humble beginning, works through manipulations and misdirections, extremely ambitious), and yet scenes like these show how different they are.

Another scene I loved:

Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Gillipig on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:26 pm

waauw wrote:

well maybe he is building up positivity to make it all come crashing down, which is why we love mr. martin's work :)
'the bigger the rise, the bigger the fall'

I expect her to sit the iron throne at some point, that seems inevitable, everything is leading up to that, the question is though, how long will she hold it? I personally hope that she doesn't draw the longest straw in the end, I can think of several people I'd rather see walk away with it. One thing to keep in mind with Daenerys is that she can't ride all three dragons at the same time herself, she'll need to find others to trust, and with trust comes......the possibility of betrayal hehe.

Haggis_McMutton wrote:

Wise choice. He's getting pretty old and his health is far from good, if he dies on us we will never know how it ended, but then again the same thing goes for the tv series watchers.
Daenerys is not a bad story, the thought is pretty good, the exiled daughter of the old king, sister of a man unfit to lead, takes over and succeeds where he fails, slowly she grows more powerful and eventually launches an attack on the king to take back what is rightfully hers. Quite original actually. I think her story is pretty awesome, but the execution, the way it is written, is not all that good. One of the hardest things when you write the story of a character, and I know this first hand because I have some experience writing fantasy/science fiction, is to make sure that the reader never knows what will happen next. Ideally the reader should consider it just as likely that a main character dies as survives any danger they face. If he/she dies now this lesson could be drawn from her fate and this is how the story would continue even without him/her. If at any prolonged period of time the reader doesn't feel that sense of anything can happen to this character they stop being interesting. And that's where Mr Martin went wrong with Daenerys, he has made her "unkillable" for a very long period of time, whatever danger she faced you always knew she would survive it because she hasn't launched her attack on Westeros yet. It's first when she does that that her story becomes interesting again. Right now she's immortal, and that's why she has had so much luck, because the book needs her to live, or it will pass up on an amazing story with dragons returning to Westeros and the return of the Targaryens.

To make her mortal during her conquest of the east, Mr Martin would probably have to have kept Viserys alive for much longer. Had he been alive, it is plausible to think the story could go on even if she died. And that would've given the reader some doubts whether she would actually make it. Or say something completely different, King Robert had more than a dozen bastards, what if the Mad King had a bastard son, who like her also carried the dragonblood. Say that he emerged and joined her side early on in her conquest of the east, all of a sudden you have another Targaryen (by blood), flesh out his personality, let the reader read from his perspective and make sure to show them that he gets along well with her dragons, maybe even better than she does to plant a seed of doubts whether she is really the one best suited to lead the invasion, and all of a sudden she's not untouchable anymore. He's done this so great with Tyrion, you don't feel like he's untouchable because the story doesn't stand and fall with his existence. His mortality is partly what makes him so easy to love.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby kizkiz on Tue Jun 11, 2013 5:43 pm

I can't believe for a second that martin hasn't got copious notes that could re create the last books if he didn't manage it, a bit like tolkein did.
Think the telly company would demand that to some extent before giving him vast sums of cash for the rights

Interesting reading some of the theories on here too. Some are bang on the money, but only much later in the books, so gonna be a long time before you get to find out ;)
Major kizkiz

Postby Sniper08 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:12 pm

Martin has already told a number of people, including the Game of thrones showrunners , how he intends to end the series in the case of his death.

Haggis_McMutton wrote:No. I'm gonna wait and see if he actually finishes them before starting reading.

That is a mistake imo , the books are so much better than the tv series, dont get me wrong the tv series is incredible but the books just gave me a greater sense of whats happening and all round better storytelling. As far as waiting for him to finish the books chances are the tv series will catch up to martin before he realises the last book, book 6 should be out in 14-15 but with the rate in which he is writing them i dont expect the 7th before 2020 , so even the show will be stalled when the time comes.

kizkiz wrote:Interesting reading some of the theories on here too. Some are bang on the money, but only much later in the books, so gonna be a long time before you get to find out ;)

and some are wildly off aswell :lol:
Colonel Sniper08
SoC Training Adviser

Postby nagerous on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:24 pm

Looking forward to seeing how the return of Jamie Lannister affects the whole Joffrey/Cersei/Tywin/Tyrion dynamic at play in King's Landing..

What to watch now? Dexter and Breaking Bad are back on soon but not soon enough!
Captain nagerous

Postby betiko on Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:27 pm

nagerous wrote:Looking forward to seeing how the return of Jamie Lannister affects the whole Joffrey/Cersei/Tywin/Tyrion dynamic at play in King's Landing..

What to watch now? Dexter and Breaking Bad are back on soon but not soon enough!

haha, we watch the exact same shows! except that I'm kind of losing interest in dexter, the last 2seasons were not as good as they used to. I also watch mad men and archer.

Anyway, I like gillipig's analysis, pretty much agree on everything there. It kind of feels like this season he didn't know what to do with her, and he had to create some kind of semi adventures. But as someone else said, we pretty much all have the same feeling... the higher the rise the higher the fall... and we're expecting something very bad to happen.
I don't know, it's a bit like Robb at some extent. I knew from season 1 this guy was too "unshady" and everything seemed to go a bit too much his way and too many good things lead to bad things..

by the way, no thoros of myr in ages....

oh and here is my favorite scene from last episode, jeoffrey's actor is just brilliant there :lol: :lol:

Major betiko

Postby ooge on Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:08 pm

nagerous wrote:Looking forward to seeing how the return of Jamie Lannister affects the whole Joffrey/Cersei/Tywin/Tyrion dynamic at play in King's Landing..

I have not seen a single episode of breaking bad,is it really that good?
Captain ooge

Postby betiko on Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:00 am

ooge wrote:

I have not seen a single episode of breaking bad,is it really that good?

The title sums it up. I can explain you roughly part of the first episode just to understand what it's about (it's minor spoiling, and just about the first episode). The main actor is the father from malcom in the middle. He is a high school chemistry teacher who learns he has cancer. He also has a second job in a car wash to pay the bills and is pretty much mistreated in both jobs, he's quite a big loser. He's got a cripple teenager and a new born baby and a wife he's deeply in love with. When he learns he's got cancer, he realizes he will be completely unable to pay any hospital fee and that there is basically no solution to cure himself. They are quite close to his wife's sister,whose husband is a DEA officer. One day, he goes with him to see how the Albuquerque police deals with meth dealers. While his brother in law is busting the dealers with other officers in some house turned into a meth lab, he waits in the car. He sees someone jump out of the window and escape. He realizes this guy is an ex student of his and he lets him go without saying anything to his brother in law. He then tried to find him, and instead of lecturing him, he asks him to become his new business partner... and so it begins!
Major betiko

Postby Gillipig on Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:35 pm

betiko wrote:

haha, we watch the exact same shows! except that I'm kind of losing interest in dexter, the last 2seasons were not as good as they used to. I also watch mad men and archer.

Anyway, I like gillipig's analysis, pretty much agree on everything there. It kind of feels like this season he didn't know what to do with her, and he had to create some kind of semi adventures. But as someone else said, we pretty much all have the same feeling... the higher the rise the higher the fall... and we're expecting something very bad to happen.
I don't know, it's a bit like Robb at some extent. I knew from season 1 this guy was too "unshady" and everything seemed to go a bit too much his way and too many good things lead to bad things..

by the way, no thoros of myr in ages....

oh and here is my favorite scene from last episode, jeoffrey's actor is just brilliant there :lol: :lol:

In the scene following that clip, Tywin tells Tyrion that he wanted to have Tyrion killed as a baby. To me that seems like a strange thing to say. I mean even if it's true, you don't have to say everything that is true. How did Tywin come to the conclusion that it was the right thing to say? If he wants Tyrion to obey him, and he does, telling him that his first instinct was to have him murdered is not going to make Tyrion more eager to please his father. Tywin is supposed to be a smart man, surely he knows this.
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby betiko on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:37 pm

Tywin seems to be permanently threatened by tyrion s intelligence. He knows he is even smarter than him and he can t accept him. He is always belittleing him. This is exactly what he tells jeoffrey somehow... "Kings don t need to say they re kings to get their authority"

Does tywin needs to be such an asshole to his son, and go for such low attacks to get a point each time? That s kind of a sign of weakeness.. Oh well, i guess he knows his son has always looked for paternal love, and he takes great joy in showing his eternal despise towards him.
Anyway, if anything happens to jeoffrey or tywin people will point fingers towards tyrion rather than the tyrell girls.
Major betiko

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,