Conquer Club

Game of Thrones (series spoiling only!)

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Game of Thrones (series spoiling only!)

Postby Bones2484 on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:20 am

spurgistan wrote:Dude, label them book spoilers homie.

Seriously. No one read patches' post if you want to avoid several major spoilers.

betiko wrote:I really wonder why Craster could get away with so many things in the eyes of the night's watch leader. Did he bring some sort of ballance with the night walkers giving away so many sons? I'm pretty sure they did an awful mistake by killing him...

There are two main reasons Mormont let Crastor get away with being such a "bastard" for so long. The first is that he is not part of the realm (since he is beyond the wall) and thus not subject to the same laws. The second and most important reason is that, while he is a complete prick and a terrible person, his house is the only safe place for the Night's Watch north of the wall. They need his protection for their ranger patrols. These are things that the Commander realizes that the others don't.

betiko wrote:One thing I didn't get: who is the Arryn supposed to marry littlefinger? is it John Arryn's widow (Kathrin's sister) or is it someone else?

Yes, Jon Arryn's widow. The one we met in season 1 with her preteen son still breastfeeding. Littlefinger has a history with the Tully sisters.
Major Bones2484

Postby betiko on Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:16 pm

the thing about crastor is that he is 1 man and they are at least a dozen each time they go there. he pushes really really far the banter with them and the disrespect. what happened is no surprise, he had been crossing the line way too far and he was basically letting them die of starvation. But mormont seriously?? that's a wise and fair man, even if some people didn't agree to assasinate him doesn't make too much sense. Mormont was an idiot too keeping such a low profile with crastor if the only reasons are the ones you gave. And they don't know who his son is friends with, I don't think he will be very happy to learn that lol. Wondering what he will think the day he meets john snow with his father's sword by the way..
Major betiko

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Wed Apr 24, 2013 8:57 pm

betiko wrote:the thing about crastor is that he is 1 man and they are at least a dozen each time they go there. he pushes really really far the banter with them and the disrespect. what happened is no surprise, he had been crossing the line way too far and he was basically letting them die of starvation.

A thing to add to Bones' reply is that a big theme in the book in the characters' observation of the sovereignty of a persons' home. The characters generally respect the values that are practiced under a roof, and this plays a big part in the upcoming books. Especially with an organization like the Night's Watch who strictly observe tradition.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby betiko on Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:35 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
betiko wrote:the thing about crastor is that he is 1 man and they are at least a dozen each time they go there. he pushes really really far the banter with them and the disrespect. what happened is no surprise, he had been crossing the line way too far and he was basically letting them die of starvation.

A thing to add to Bones' reply is that a big theme in the book in the characters' observation of the sovereignty of a persons' home. The characters generally respect the values that are practiced under a roof, and this plays a big part in the upcoming books. Especially with an organization like the Night's Watch who strictly observe tradition.

-TG

I'm sure this guy doesn't observes the practices and values under any roof in westeros!!!

Major betiko

Postby BigBallinStalin on Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:13 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Symmetry wrote:The author kinda ran out of steam post book 3.

Inb4 rage (I agree with Symmetry).

I remember some speed bump in the middle of the series, but afterward it got awesome again.

"Running out of steam" reminds me of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. The author mentioned his disdain for writing books, and you can see it after every book. In the final book, he was just throwing crap together to see what sticks.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby spurgistan on Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:46 am

strike wolf wrote:
betiko wrote:By the way, anybody thinks that westeros kind of look like a map of britain (reverted in the bottom mid-part)? starks would be scotts, greyjoys the isle of Man, martell cornwall, tyrell+lanister+tully+arryn england; baratheon+targaryen welsh...

The Wall=Hadrian's wall...yeah it's obviously based off of England. The land across the sea I'm not sure is supposed to be Ireland or the mainland Europe. I used to have that more or less figured out but I've forgotten. I want to say it was the mainland...

Of course if the wall is Hadrian's wall than it would be more accurate to say that the Starks are more North England and the Wildlings are the Scotts.

At least the first book is based off the War of the Roses, so it kinda makes sense that it should look a little like Britain.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby The Bison King on Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:13 am

The Wall=Hadrian's wall...yeah it's obviously based off of England. The land across the sea I'm not sure is supposed to be Ireland or the mainland Europe. I used to have that more or less figured out but I've forgotten. I want to say it was the mainland...

Don't think too hard about this one.

Westeros = Europe
Essos = Asia
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:26 am

Am I the only one who finds the Daenerys storyline to be way more poorly written then every other storyline?

Ever since the beggining of season 2 it's been pretty much a string of disappointments for me. In this last episode, for instance:

show

On the other hand, all the other storylines are excellent. Especially liked the stuff beyond the wall. Didn't see it coming but it makes sense in retrospect.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Symmetry on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:26 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:Am I the only one who finds the Daenerys storyline to be way more poorly written then every other storyline?

Ever since the beggining of season 2 it's been pretty much a string of disappointments for me. In this last episode, for instance:

show

On the other hand, all the other storylines are excellent. Especially liked the stuff beyond the wall. Didn't see it coming but it makes sense in retrospect.

I generally agree, but imagine if someone turned up in Confederate America with three nukes, offering to trade one for all the slaves.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby strike wolf on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:44 pm

You say that it should have been obvious to the slaver but it was obvious from his attitude that he thought she was nothing more than an idiot. The thought that she was even smart enough to cross him like that, let alone actually do it, probably never crossed his mind. I dont think the slaves truly feel free. I think thats gonna continue to come up.
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Strike wolf need brain for smart making.
Cadet strike wolf

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:22 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:Am I the only one who finds the Daenerys storyline to be way more poorly written then every other storyline?

show

I always thought that while reading the books. I've a feeling that, unless Martin totally flips and, like, kills her off or something, she'll pretty much conquer all of Westeros in the end. It seems kinda obvious with what you pointed out. She 1) has dragons, 2) has righteousness (kills the slavers, spares the women from rape, etc.), and 3) has a badass army now. It seems like Martin is really grooming this character to conquer the anarchy of Westeros, which is what the first Targaryens did.

-TG

Postby strike wolf on Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:37 pm

Is Stanis' daughter's face deformed or scarred?
Iliad wrote:The upside of calling everyone scum and making 1000 predictions is that statistically you should get a few right.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:38 pm

strike wolf wrote:Is Stanis' daughter's face deformed or scarred?

Should be scarred iirc. She had some disease as an infant.

-TG

Postby betiko on Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:00 am

wow cool episode. tyrion and sansa, cersei and loras? huh, didn't see that one comming!

I have to agree with haggis about the slavers, too stupid to be true. I still think that the night's watch with craster made little sense too.

John snow... gosh, sorry about his virginity! lol. Anyway, all the main "good" characters from the nightwatch are dead or have fleed, so I guess no one cares if he betrays them.

Jaimie: didn't expect that story. I thought the lanisters had it all plotted from the start when they first reached king's landing. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up with brennof tarth, but I've been saying it all along.
Major betiko

Postby strike wolf on Tue Apr 30, 2013 10:24 pm

I have to say I'm enjoying this season. There's a lot of political intrigue going on and things are starting to take shape. I'm interested to see how Robb Stark fares in taking Casterly Rock from The Lannisters (and what Tywin might do if he succeeds). This psychopath who is torturing Theon also seems interesting and it seems like The Lord of Light's (I'm sure I'm not the only one who has caught the Lucifer parallel by the way) influence is spreading.

Jaime's confession took me by surprise. I suppose it's possible that some parts may have been embellished or altered and I always felt he was less of a straight up evil bastard as he some times appears but I was as others were under the impression that his actions had been predetermined by Tywin and he was following through on orders.

I also wonder how Tywin will react when he finds out that Jaime's sword hand was cut off. At least from the way he talks to Tyrion and Cersei, Jaime seems to be the only child Tywin considers worthy of being called a Lannister. All in all though he seems to be a fairly logical thinker. I mean arranging Cersei and Tyrion to marry Loris and Sansa respectively was a smart move. I suppose most likely, he won't let his emotions get the better of him, even if it would be fun to watch him act on emotion for once (He's had emotional moments, plenty of them but he's never let them overwhelm the logical side of his thought process).

OH I also like the elderly Tyrell lady. She's got that I don't take BS from anyone and I don't care who hears what I think attitude going for her.

I'll say again. I can buy the slavers not expecting her to betray them. I think people tend to forget that they have the background knowledge about Daenerys' character and both sides of the translation going for them and it's easier to see what's unfolding from that perspective. The slaver should have seen it coming yes. Daenerys had expressed concern over how the slaves were treated when they first met but a few things were made quite clear about the head slaver. He was quite greedy and he had absolutely no respect for Daenerys. He treated her like an ignorant, timid woman because he thought she was one. Blinded by greed and not expecting her to be smart or daring enough to act on a plan to double cross him, I can see how he was caught off guard when it actually happened. I will say that I was surprised by how easily she pulled it off. As far as the suddenly freed slaves, I think that's going to continue to have impact. I don't think you'll see an army that acts like they are free and I think the mentality of being a slave is still very present.

I'll agree on the Craster subplot. I realize tensions were high for them but the mutiny did seem to happen awfully quickly.

Oh and it was about time Jon Snow got laid.

Cadet strike wolf

Postby The Bison King on Wed May 01, 2013 7:36 am

I'll agree on the Craster subplot. I realize tensions were high for them but the mutiny did seem to happen awfully quickly.

For all the major things that the show gets right, they have a bad habit of leaving out small details from the book that makes certain scenes more memorable (i.e. Mance playing a lute when we first meet him, Renly eating a peach when confronting Stannis, Onlenna Tyrell having a singer cover over her conversation with Sansa). In the book the Nights Watch mutiny happened at a dinner table which I thought was a perfect way of illustrating the motivation for the mutiny.

A bunch of poorly disciplined hungry men with criminal backgrounds, are being fed poor rations by a man they all hate and disrespect. Instead of their leader forcing Craester to feed them more he tells his men to put up with it. In the book it's obvious that the men were at they're breaking point. By not showing that scene at a dinner table it isn't clear that hunger was the primary motivating factor and it comes off as a bit random.

Meh, what can you do? for every little detail like that, that isn't as good as the book they do something better. (i.e. Drogo getting his wound from defending Denaerys, Bran meeting Jojen in his dream before reality)
Sergeant The Bison King

Postby AAFitz on Wed May 01, 2013 9:38 pm

I read(audiobook read, meaning listened) ahead, but its cool to see the things happening in the show, and because I listened at work and its not the easiest story to follow when distracted to say the least, its cool to see some things explained.

The book for me was more of a trailer...or even research for watching the show, than the full story laid out. I actually have a couple bought and ready to listen to that I think I might just skip and instead wait for the show, which I enjoy much more than the audiobook, which is highly rare.

Ive liked almost every book ever, more than the movie/show, with the current exception, and possibly The Hunt for Red October.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby Gillipig on Thu May 02, 2013 3:17 am

AAFitz wrote:I read(audiobook read, meaning listened) ahead, but its cool to see the things happening in the show, and because I listened at work and its not the easiest story to follow when distracted to say the least, its cool to see some things explained.

The book for me was more of a trailer...or even research for watching the show, than the full story laid out. I actually have a couple bought and ready to listen to that I think I might just skip and instead wait for the show, which I enjoy much more than the audiobook, which is highly rare.

Ive liked almost every book ever, more than the movie/show, with the current exception, and possibly The Hunt for Red October.

Maybe audio books is not the best format then. I enjoy the books more than the show. And the show is great.
If you're sitting and hoping for Cersei to f*ck her midget brother....don't hold your breath, things are only going to get more bitter between them, and they're not gonna make up with angry sex either. A bit of a bummer really.....
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby betiko on Fri May 03, 2013 1:22 pm

Gillipig wrote:
AAFitz wrote:I read(audiobook read, meaning listened) ahead, but its cool to see the things happening in the show, and because I listened at work and its not the easiest story to follow when distracted to say the least, its cool to see some things explained.

Maybe audio books is not the best format then. I enjoy the books more than the show. And the show is great.
If you're sitting and hoping for Cersei to f*ck her midget brother....don't hold your breath, things are only going to get more bitter between them, and they're not gonna make up with angry sex either. A bit of a bummer really.....

no angry sex scene between cersei and tyrion? ok, go ahead and spoil all the show now; don't tell me there's no angry sex scene between cersei and tywin for that forced wedding!
Major betiko

Postby Gillipig on Sat May 04, 2013 6:10 am

betiko wrote:
Gillipig wrote:

no angry sex scene between cersei and tyrion? ok, go ahead and spoil all the show now; don't tell me there's no angry sex scene between cersei and tywin for that forced wedding!

You can sleep safely, there is such a scene!

Oops, spoiler alert!!
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby betiko on Mon May 06, 2013 10:54 am

so is that psycho a karstark, was he really lying, was he not? is he just a psycho or is there really something he's holding against theon?? (no book spoiling please!!! ;) )

if he's aage's favorite character I guess there's a little more to it than just a psycho....

why is bolton not at war seriously??? if he's a stark bannerman and the starks are at war why is he in his own castle???

arya wants to go to the wall right? brann and rickion, jon and sam are all going there too? sounds like an end of season 3 reunion..
Major betiko

Postby Bones2484 on Mon May 06, 2013 11:14 am

betiko wrote:so is that psycho a karstark, was he really lying, was he not? is he just a psycho or is there really something he's holding against theon?? (no book spoiling please!!! ;) )

He said he was lying! So... either he was or he wasnt! :D

betiko wrote:why is bolton not at war seriously??? if he's a stark bannerman and the starks are at war why is he in his own castle???

Bolton is at war. He's currently holding Harrenhall, which was formerly under control of the Lannisters and currently the closest Stark position to King's Landing. Bolton's own castle is over a thousand miles north of where he currently is.

betiko wrote:arya wants to go to the wall right? brann and rickion, jon and sam are all going there too?

Arya just wants to get back to the North (I believe her goal is Winterfell). The current plan is to reunite with her mom and brother (Robb) who are currently at Riverrun.

betiko wrote:sounds like an end of season 3 reunion..

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention"
Last edited by Bones2484 on Mon May 06, 2013 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Bones2484

Postby spurgistan on Mon May 06, 2013 11:17 am

Bones2484 wrote:
betiko wrote:so is that psycho a karstark, was he really lying, was he not? is he just a psycho or is there really something he's holding against theon?? (no book spoiling please!!! ;) )

show
Last edited by spurgistan on Mon May 06, 2013 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr_Adams wrote:You, sir, are an idiot.

Timminz wrote:By that logic, you eat babies.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby betiko on Mon May 06, 2013 11:41 am

oh they're in harenhall? didn't realize that. so basically tywin gave baelish a castle that he just lost? lol

ow, and if there are some guys who reunite at some places doesn't mean a happy ending lol! 4 more books to go after this! still don't think that it's impossible to have jon+brann+rickion reunited for example... we'll see! but i guess mostly for the kids, arya brann and rickion, if they were to unite with elder brothers there wouldn't be much of a story about them left... before a new intrigue.
Major betiko

Postby Symmetry on Mon May 06, 2013 1:54 pm

spurgistan wrote:
Bones2484 wrote:

It's Simon from Misfits. So I guess that time travel worked differently than we thought?

Damn, I knew I recognised him. I should have just looked it up.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,