Major explosion at fertilizer plant near Waco, Texas.

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Major explosion at fertilizer plant near Waco, Texas.

Postby muy_thaiguy on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:22 am

http://news.yahoo.com/police-report-fer ... 59240.html

Susprised it hasn't been posted. So far, dozens reported dead, at last 100 more injured, and dozens of homes and buildings demolished.
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Re: Major explosion at fertilizer plant near Waco, Texas.

Postby Lootifer on Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:38 am

Terrorists sell more papers.
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Sergeant 1st Class Lootifer
Discussions Moderator
Discussions Moderator

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Symmetry on Thu Apr 18, 2013 5:40 am

Lootifer wrote:Terrorists sell more papers.

I knew the guy at my local shop looked dodgy.
Sergeant 1st Class Symmetry

Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Postby PLAYER57832 on Sat Apr 20, 2013 4:07 pm

Its been all over the news here. I just did not post because I find do much bad news to be depressing, and this one hit very "close to home", both in that several small town firefighters were killed and because I have known people who lived down that way in the past.
Sergeant PLAYER57832

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby tkr4lf on Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:36 pm

Yeah, this has been all over the news around here. West is just a little ways up I-35 from here. Crazy.
Major tkr4lf

Medals: 63
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (11) Tournament Contribution (14)

Postby Lootifer on Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:15 pm

This is pretty horrific.

Typically these kinds of incidents tend to be preventable and usually a failure in terms of H&S policy* from the top. There is really no excuse for something like this.

* before you all jump on me, I am not some political correctness, health and safety nutjob. I am not talking about lame shit in your office that will see you getting sued for millions because you ran a cord accross a meeting room and someone sprained their wrist; shit is retarded. What I am referring to here is genuine industrial and workplace safety issues that have continually shown to be systemic failures at the human level (humans fail much more often than gear does).
Discussions Moderator
Discussions Moderator

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:30 am

Where, oh where, are our Glorious Technocrats to set everything right?
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby 2dimes on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:50 am

The problem certainly could have been a failure ofpolicy or something along the lines of, an Occupational Health and Safety or even just a company rule states, "Use [insert piece of equipment] to prevent arcing and blowing up the fertilizer plant when doing certain task."

Guy running small electrical service company, "I don't have one of those. If we did it would take 15 minutes for you just to set it up. Forget that. I've done it before without one. Just don't make an arc when you do this and hurry up!"

~KABOOM~
Corporal 2dimes

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby Lootifer on Mon Apr 22, 2013 5:55 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Where, oh where, are our Glorious Technocrats to set everything right?

You can jest all you like; but through neglect and poor safety attitude we blew up 29 people a couple of years back, and you guys just blew up another 15 or so (6th major event in the last 8 years or so).

Each and every one of these was preventable using simple changes (some of which do cost money, but even financially the balance sheet still comes positive using hindsight).

Please free market forgive me for doubting you, but can you not please move a little bit faster? People are actually dying here.

(and this isnt just a matter of a lazy tradesman skipping a vital step; part of good safety is ensuring that even the laziest of tradesmen dont skip vital steps)
Discussions Moderator
Discussions Moderator

Postby 2dimes on Mon Apr 22, 2013 7:04 pm

Lootifer wrote:(and this isnt just a matter of a lazy tradesman skipping a vital step; part of good safety is ensuring that even the laziest of tradesmen dont skip vital steps)

Usually it's the "hard working" ones that skip the safety steps. No time for that shit, we've got too much work to do.
Corporal 2dimes

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:41 pm

Lootifer wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Where, oh where, are our Glorious Technocrats to set everything right?

You can jest all you like; but through neglect and poor safety attitude we blew up 29 people a couple of years back, and you guys just blew up another 15 or so (6th major event in the last 8 years or so).

Each and every one of these was preventable using simple changes (some of which do cost money, but even financially the balance sheet still comes positive using hindsight).

Please free market forgive me for doubting you, but can you not please move a little bit faster? People are actually dying here.

(and this isnt just a matter of a lazy tradesman skipping a vital step; part of good safety is ensuring that even the laziest of tradesmen dont skip vital steps)

Oh, you know I love to jest about the technocracy!

RE: free market skepticism, I agree, but whenever these events occur, we have to remind ourselves about the interactions between the business and the relevant regulators.

For example, although it would be cheaper and safer to build new power facilities, refineries, etc. (coal, oil, gas, etc.), it is extremely difficult to do so due to the regulatory environment. Instead, the private sector heaps on upgrades and additional capital onto older (and obsolete) structures. It's less safe and more expensive, but the regulations have set the rules of the game into a route which inadvertently promotes more dangerous investments.

I'm not sure if this story applies to the fertilizer plant, but if I cared enough to research it, it's where I'd look.
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:50 am

:|
Last time it was inspected by OSHA was 1985.

At my plant we have yearly safety education meetings that last about 2 hours. People literally sleep through it. At the end, you're given a safety and regulation quiz, with the answers to the safety and regulation quiz. It's some real professional pencil-whipping.... so...
Next thing you know, we got one moron mixing 5 gallons of straight acid with 10 gallons of chlorine (deadly mustard gas) "to create a super-cleaner," and another turkey removing safety guards and sticking his whole goddamn hand into a giant scissors without locking out the power source. Guess what happened to his hand? At least with the mustard gas nobody got hurt, we just froze our asses off in the parking lot in January.

Now we're kicking off our new "safety awareness week."
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3)

Postby Juan_Bottom on Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:52 am

Also, the original name of Dr Pepper soda pop was "The Waco."
Sergeant 1st Class Juan_Bottom

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (3)

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Apr 23, 2013 11:12 am

Juan_Bottom wrote::|

If that's true, then it's not surprising given that OSHA has a monopoly on that trade.

I wonder if OSHA will be sued for any of this...
Colonel BigBallinStalin

Postby Lootifer on Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:56 pm

Juan_Bottom wrote::|

At my plant we have yearly safety education meetings that last about 2 hours. People literally sleep through it. At the end, you're given a safety and regulation quiz, with the answers to the safety and regulation quiz. It's some real professional pencil-whipping.... so...
Next thing you know, we got one moron mixing 5 gallons of straight acid with 10 gallons of chlorine (deadly mustard gas) "to create a super-cleaner," and another turkey removing safety guards and sticking his whole goddamn hand into a giant scissors without locking out the power source. Guess what happened to his hand? At least with the mustard gas nobody got hurt, we just froze our asses off in the parking lot in January.

Now we're kicking off our new "safety awareness week."

See to me thats fucked up.

I am one of the [relative] safety skeptics in my organisation. However here I am arguing on this side of the debate...

Safety should be the number 1 priority in any [industrial/risk facing] organisation.
Discussions Moderator
Discussions Moderator

Next

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?