Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Do we support the Marketplace Fairness Act?

Yes
10
32%
No
16
52%
Undecided
3
10%
Obligatory stupid option
2
6%
 
Total votes : 31

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby Bruceswar on Sun May 12, 2013 9:11 pm

Night Strike wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:The tax isn't given by the business, though(?) If it's paid by the consumer who does use those government resources (the same amount of tax that they'd pay at a brick/mortar), how does the venue in which that tax money goes to that respective government matter? It sounds like the same ends with different means.

BMO



Me and rds to not always agree but this is one area we agree on. I mean I am not a big fan of being taxed to death, but why should where you buy an item determine if you pay taxes or not.


Because there's no justification for a business in Virginia to collect and remit taxes for California. If that business is only located in Virginia, then why is it their job to find out the exact sales tax where the customer resides and then send that amount to California? If that same Californian had gone to Virginia to buy the product in person, the business would not be required to collect and remit California taxes, so why must it do so on an internet transaction? It doesn't make any sense.



I am not saying I agree with the law how it is written. I would rather see where the store is located or the site is located should be the tax rate as a customer pay. If some company wants to move to Montana to evade taxes I say let them. Montana does not have a sales tax. As I said it does not matter where you buy an item, if it is a taxable item then taxes should be apply weather you buy it online or in a store.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Image
User avatar
Captain Bruceswar
 
Posts: 9562
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:36 am
Location: Cow Pastures
Medals: 141
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby Bruceswar on Sun May 12, 2013 9:13 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:The tax isn't given by the business, though(?) If it's paid by the consumer who does use those government resources (the same amount of tax that they'd pay at a brick/mortar), how does the venue in which that tax money goes to that respective government matter? It sounds like the same ends with different means.

BMO



Me and rds to not always agree but this is one area we agree on. I mean I am not a big fan of being taxed to death, but why should where you buy an item determine if you pay taxes or not.


What you like to pay Saudi Arabian taxes?



I am not saying I like paying taxes, but I am saying why should it be different if you go to a store or buy a TV online. Tax should apply the same to both places.

On another note... We also need an import tax on goods like most every other nation.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Image
User avatar
Captain Bruceswar
 
Posts: 9562
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:36 am
Location: Cow Pastures
Medals: 141
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby Bruceswar on Sun May 12, 2013 9:16 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:I read to page 2. Too much repetition. I can drive to Buffalo, pay New York sales tax and then get refunded that tax when I cross back into Canada.

Now, if I order something online from Buffalo, I would have to pay Ontario sales tax.

Night Strike is right, this system is so different from anything that it replaces or updates.



There is no system. Something needs to be done to even the playing field. It should not matter if you buy a guitar online or in a store. Tax should still apply.


What do you mean? I don't have to pay taxes if I do all my shopping in Missouri by driving there and then returning home.

When I am on Vacation in Ecuador I don't pay any taxes on the Cocaine I buy. Why should I all of a sudden have to pay taxes on stuff that I never had to before?



How many times do you drive to Missouri? Likely not many. Also Canadian law is different, but that does not mean you should not pay tax on the item. Also if you are buying cocaine, you have bigger issues than tax on it. Just saying..
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Image
User avatar
Captain Bruceswar
 
Posts: 9562
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:36 am
Location: Cow Pastures
Medals: 141
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby Woodruff on Sun May 12, 2013 10:03 pm

Bruceswar wrote:Also if you are buying cocaine, you have bigger issues than tax on it. Just saying..


Absolutely. For instance, where are you going to store all your hookers?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4964
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby thegreekdog on Mon May 13, 2013 10:20 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Pre-internet tax world:

The prices of goods provided by brick-and-mortar companies is 10% higher due to the 10% sales tax.
The prices of goods provided by internet companies is 10% lower due to the 0% sales tax.

By raising the prices of goods provided by internet companies (by imposing a 10% tax), then you reduce their competitiveness--relative to the brick-and-mortar companies.

That's what I'm talking about. Therein is the motive to restricting the competitiveness of internet companies.


Consder the following:

Pre-internet tax world:

The prices of goods provided by brick-and-mortar companies are 10% higher due to the 10% sales tax.
The prices of goods provided by internet companies are 10% lower due to the 0% sales tax.

By raising the price of goods provided by internet companies (by imposing a 10% tax), then you increase the competitveness of brick and mortar stores relative to internet companies.

The motive could be to level the playing field, or to use your words, increase the competitiveness of brick-and-mortar stores.


It didn't work out that way, and that wasn't the motive, so why are you making stuff up?


It will work out that way (or, rather, it would work out that way if there was in any way in Hades the House would pass this bill).

It was the stated motive.

I'm not making anything up.


Oh okay, but I'll believe rhetoric too. Raising taxes doesn't increase competitiveness. They already have the threat of competition inducing that behavior of cutting costs/increasing profit.


The red type above is rhetoric. What I typed is not.

Raising taxes does actually increase competitiveness and will increase the competitiveness of brick-and-mortar stores (who are, incidentally, also subject to this new law).
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby thegreekdog on Mon May 13, 2013 10:22 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Baron Von PWN wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Because they obviously use less state-provided resources.

What economic distortions? Customers save more money? The internet market creates a demand for the delivery of such goods--and those delivery companies buy stuff, which is taxed? Looks like a self-correcting 'distortion'.


Seems to me(using your TGD example) things being automatically 10% cheaper online would cause more people to buy things online, for no other reason than the tax loophole. Maybe I'm misusing the term "economic distortion" but the situation seems to be distorting the market in favour of online. In other words without the tax loophole online stores wouldn't be as competitive versus brick and mortar.
I'm no economist but that seems to make sense to me.

Online retailers do actually exist somewhere. They use roads, are protected by police/fire departments, they take advantage of information networks which may be publicly funded, they use electricity often publicly funded/subsidized, their children go to school, their customers possibly use state assistance. However as the tax is charged to the consumer that's all irrelevant, as the consumer is without a doubt using state resources.


The other problem with BBS's example is that the products are not actually cheaper online. The purchaser is REQUIRED to pay use tax on the purchase if sales tax is not paid. Consider the following pre-Internet sales tax scenario:

Bob purchases a book from Sally's Bookstore in Pennsylvania. Bob pays $10 for the book and 60 cents sales tax which Sally's Bookstore pays to the state of Pennsylvania. Cost of the transaction - $10.60

The next day, Bob purchases a book from Amazon online. Bob pays $10 for the book and does not pay any sales tax. Bob is required, by law, to pay use tax to Pennsylvania in the amount of 60 cents. Cost of the transaction - $10.60


Hey, lemme make up prices in my counter-example, and I can 'prove' you wrong too.


Wait, what? I'm just telling you the tax is the same if the item is priced the same (pre-tax). This is not an arguable point. It is and remains fact. But Cthullu forbid I prove you, Odin amongst men, wrong. I urgently look forward to your more than one sentence reply (preferably with links to books that I will never read... related aside - I actually thought about linking to Walter Hellerstein's continuously updated works on state taxation, just to troll you a little).


Okay, let's say I want to buy item X. I have two options: (1) online and untaxed, or (2) brick-and-mortar store. The pretax price of X is the same. After tax, the price is not the same because (2) enforces the tax while (1) does not.

Are you still saying that an untaxed item sold online is not actually cheaper online?*

*I'm talking about reality--not requirements by law that aren't enforced.


The laws are enforced, but I'll pretend their not.

The untaxed item sold online is actually cheaper online if the use tax laws are not enforced.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon May 13, 2013 11:13 am

Bruceswar wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:I read to page 2. Too much repetition. I can drive to Buffalo, pay New York sales tax and then get refunded that tax when I cross back into Canada.

Now, if I order something online from Buffalo, I would have to pay Ontario sales tax.

Night Strike is right, this system is so different from anything that it replaces or updates.



There is no system. Something needs to be done to even the playing field. It should not matter if you buy a guitar online or in a store. Tax should still apply.


What do you mean? I don't have to pay taxes if I do all my shopping in Missouri by driving there and then returning home.

When I am on Vacation in Ecuador I don't pay any taxes on the Cocaine I buy. Why should I all of a sudden have to pay taxes on stuff that I never had to before?



How many times do you drive to Missouri? Likely not many. Also Canadian law is different, but that does not mean you should not pay tax on the item. Also if you are buying cocaine, you have bigger issues than tax on it. Just saying..


I am 5 minutes away from the United States. 90% of the Canadian population is within 100 kilometres of the United States. I don't have a passport, so I don't go to the States but I do know many people who do 90% of their shopping in the States and only buy stuff in Canada if they run out of something.

Maybe I don't go to Missouri ever, but New York is close and you are making an anthill out of a huge issue, especially to Canadian businesses.
show
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class DoomYoshi
Entertainment Coordinator
Entertainment Coordinator
 
Posts: 3880
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: Termina Field
Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (5)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon May 13, 2013 12:34 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Oh okay, but I'll believe rhetoric too. Raising taxes doesn't increase competitiveness. They already have the threat of competition inducing that behavior of cutting costs/increasing profit.


The red type above is rhetoric. What I typed is not.

Raising taxes does actually increase competitiveness and will increase the competitiveness of brick-and-mortar stores (who are, incidentally, also subject to this new law).


Oh, I see our misunderstanding. I was talking about online retailers; you're talking about b-and-m.
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3861
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon May 13, 2013 12:36 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:The tax isn't given by the business, though(?) If it's paid by the consumer who does use those government resources (the same amount of tax that they'd pay at a brick/mortar), how does the venue in which that tax money goes to that respective government matter? It sounds like the same ends with different means.

BMO



Me and rds to not always agree but this is one area we agree on. I mean I am not a big fan of being taxed to death, but why should where you buy an item determine if you pay taxes or not.


What you like to pay Saudi Arabian taxes?



I am not saying I like paying taxes, but I am saying why should it be different if you go to a store or buy a TV online. Tax should apply the same to both places.

On another note... We also need an import tax on goods like most every other nation.


"but why should where you buy an item determine if you pay taxes or not"

Because wherever you go, you use that government's resources. If you're on the internet, you're not. So, it doesn't make sense to be taxed on such items (unless of course the goal of taxation is to enrich the government itself, or particular groups it favors).
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3861
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby Bruceswar on Mon May 13, 2013 12:56 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:I read to page 2. Too much repetition. I can drive to Buffalo, pay New York sales tax and then get refunded that tax when I cross back into Canada.

Now, if I order something online from Buffalo, I would have to pay Ontario sales tax.

Night Strike is right, this system is so different from anything that it replaces or updates.



There is no system. Something needs to be done to even the playing field. It should not matter if you buy a guitar online or in a store. Tax should still apply.


What do you mean? I don't have to pay taxes if I do all my shopping in Missouri by driving there and then returning home.

When I am on Vacation in Ecuador I don't pay any taxes on the Cocaine I buy. Why should I all of a sudden have to pay taxes on stuff that I never had to before?



How many times do you drive to Missouri? Likely not many. Also Canadian law is different, but that does not mean you should not pay tax on the item. Also if you are buying cocaine, you have bigger issues than tax on it. Just saying..


I am 5 minutes away from the United States. 90% of the Canadian population is within 100 kilometres of the United States. I don't have a passport, so I don't go to the States but I do know many people who do 90% of their shopping in the States and only buy stuff in Canada if they run out of something.

Maybe I don't go to Missouri ever, but New York is close and you are making an anthill out of a huge issue, especially to Canadian businesses.


Well that sounds like a Canadian Issue to me that the gov of Canada needs to work out. Why does Canada give you back those taxes when you cross back over?
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Image
User avatar
Captain Bruceswar
 
Posts: 9562
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:36 am
Location: Cow Pastures
Medals: 141
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby Bruceswar on Mon May 13, 2013 12:58 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:The tax isn't given by the business, though(?) If it's paid by the consumer who does use those government resources (the same amount of tax that they'd pay at a brick/mortar), how does the venue in which that tax money goes to that respective government matter? It sounds like the same ends with different means.

BMO



Me and rds to not always agree but this is one area we agree on. I mean I am not a big fan of being taxed to death, but why should where you buy an item determine if you pay taxes or not.


What you like to pay Saudi Arabian taxes?



I am not saying I like paying taxes, but I am saying why should it be different if you go to a store or buy a TV online. Tax should apply the same to both places.

On another note... We also need an import tax on goods like most every other nation.


"but why should where you buy an item determine if you pay taxes or not"

Because wherever you go, you use that government's resources. If you're on the internet, you're not. So, it doesn't make sense to be taxed on such items (unless of course the goal of taxation is to enrich the government itself, or particular groups it favors).


And how do you think that TV gets to you from an online store? Magic? Just because you are not driving on the roads does not mean you are not using resources. It makes no sense to me why all TV's bought cannot be taxed if one is. Your logic is a fail.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Image
User avatar
Captain Bruceswar
 
Posts: 9562
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:36 am
Location: Cow Pastures
Medals: 141
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby Dukasaur on Mon May 13, 2013 1:19 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:I can drive to Buffalo, pay New York sales tax and then get refunded that tax when I cross back into Canada.


Well that sounds like a Canadian Issue to me that the gov of Canada needs to work out. Why does Canada give you back those taxes when you cross back over?

It wouldn't be Canada that would refund you the taxes, it would be New York State.

Not all, but most, jurisdictions follow the doctrine that sales tax is for goods consumed locally and not for export. Thus, if you can prove that you are taking the goods out of their jurisdiction, you are an exporting and exempt to sales tax. If you already paid them, then those would be refundable.

Surely you've seen mail-order catalogues and whatnot, with "California residents add such-and-such sales tax" if they're in California or "Illinois residents add such-and-such sales tax" if they're in Illinois. That's the same doctrine. Only goods consumed locally are subject to those sales taxes, and if you're taking them out of the place they are sold, then you are not exempt.
User avatar
Major Dukasaur
Head Socialite
Head Socialite
 
Posts: 10566
Joined: Sat Nov 20, 2010 4:49 pm
Location: Beautiful Niagara
Medals: 133
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (19)
General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (9) Training Achievement (2) Challenge Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (31)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby danco on Mon May 13, 2013 4:48 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
danco wrote:Hell No !!!! The gov. has far to much say in things they do not understand like the real world they should take some of the money the steal now and provide instruction of basic arithmetic to congress and the executive especially the later they all seem to have forgotten the job is to allocate limited resources not just wistle up new dollars everytime they want to provide for some new idiot son or brother in law i feel for the brick and mortor people i deal with some of their issues myself but the tax code to help business poppycock you want real help for the country on these items load congress up with farmers,shopkeepers,contractors.folks who can count because they have to everyday .....



Your post is not a good argument against internet tax, but rather taxes in general and government spending. Which is it? Do you really think the government is that bad? If so there are plenty of other places to live besides the USA.
User avatar
Lieutenant danco
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:32 pm
Location: northeasteren United States in America
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby danco on Mon May 13, 2013 5:32 pm

America love it or leave it thank you Ariche Bunker nice to know you still out there there are things only gov. can ,will,or should do i thought everyone knew this the founders provided a list mabey you ve heard of it a few things have been added no one has a problem helping the helpless banks. GM and the wind and solar scam not part of that group brick and mortor stores will evolve or cease your argement sounds like the complants against supermarkets 80 years ago or Walmart 20 years ago if your looking for the gov to solve problems with your compition you already have a phone book open to the blue pages the listing your after is under Welfare
User avatar
Lieutenant danco
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:32 pm
Location: northeasteren United States in America
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon May 13, 2013 7:33 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:
rdsrds2120 wrote:The tax isn't given by the business, though(?) If it's paid by the consumer who does use those government resources (the same amount of tax that they'd pay at a brick/mortar), how does the venue in which that tax money goes to that respective government matter? It sounds like the same ends with different means.

BMO



Me and rds to not always agree but this is one area we agree on. I mean I am not a big fan of being taxed to death, but why should where you buy an item determine if you pay taxes or not.


What you like to pay Saudi Arabian taxes?



I am not saying I like paying taxes, but I am saying why should it be different if you go to a store or buy a TV online. Tax should apply the same to both places.

On another note... We also need an import tax on goods like most every other nation.


"but why should where you buy an item determine if you pay taxes or not"

Because wherever you go, you use that government's resources. If you're on the internet, you're not. So, it doesn't make sense to be taxed on such items (unless of course the goal of taxation is to enrich the government itself, or particular groups it favors).


And how do you think that TV gets to you from an online store? Magic? Just because you are not driving on the roads does not mean you are not using resources. It makes no sense to me why all TV's bought cannot be taxed if one is. Your logic is a fail.


I've already addressed this. The delivery services already pay taxes for the use of government services. These taxes are from the DMV, license fees, sales tax on delivery trucks, corporate tax, property tax, blah blah blah. Individuals on the Internet simply aren't using government services during their transactions.

To be clear, here's my argument, and so far I think anyone being reasonable would have no problems with it:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=190403&start=135#p4167033
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=190403&start=135#p4167053
Sorry. I'm not sure how you can twist this any other way to justify taxing online sellers. (Of course, that would help your brick-and-mortar store, wouldn't it?)
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3861
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon May 13, 2013 7:36 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:Let me just say this as a small business owner I fully support an equal playing field. I have a brick a mortar store and have been there for 33 years. Let me break it down for you.


Imposing the internet sales tax is not egalitarian because it places a disproportionate burden on online sellers' who use significantly less government-provided resources--relative to the brick-and-mortar stores.

Why do you support such an inegalitarian policy?


These same sellers use most all the same resources as the small business would. Besides how do you think it is fair for any state to lose money on taxable items by someone buying it online vs in a store. If you buy a TV or a computer online you are missing out on the Taxes that you would pay in a store. Why should it be different between the two?


Think of the means through which a customer takes in order to (1) buy something on the Internet, and (2) buy something at a local store.

Is there a difference?

(Yes, there is).
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3861
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby thegreekdog on Tue May 14, 2013 7:34 am

Two things I learned yesterday about this bill:

(1) The $1 million exception is for total sales; not total internet sales. So, a company that sells like $500,000 of product over the internet, but has $3 million of total sales is subject.

(2) More importantly, the law would apply to all remote sellers, not just internet sellers. In other words, if your brick and mortar store sells out of state, it would be subject to this law. Further, companies that sell services may also be subject to this law.

The more I read about this law (not from you BBS, sorry... you can't be the expert in everything related to economics) the more I dislike it for reasons other than those previously stated.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue May 14, 2013 11:48 am

thegreekdog wrote:Two things I learned yesterday about this bill:

(1) The $1 million exception is for total sales; not total internet sales. So, a company that sells like $500,000 of product over the internet, but has $3 million of total sales is subject.

(2) More importantly, the law would apply to all remote sellers, not just internet sellers. In other words, if your brick and mortar store sells out of state, it would be subject to this law. Further, companies that sell services may also be subject to this law.

The more I read about this law (not from you BBS, sorry... you can't be the expert in everything related to economics) the more I dislike it for reasons other than those previously stated.


Oh, what have I been incorrect about?
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3861
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue May 14, 2013 3:56 pm

thegreekdog wrote:Two things I learned yesterday about this bill:

(1) The $1 million exception is for total sales; not total internet sales. So, a company that sells like $500,000 of product over the internet, but has $3 million of total sales is subject.

(2) More importantly, the law would apply to all remote sellers, not just internet sellers. In other words, if your brick and mortar store sells out of state, it would be subject to this law. Further, companies that sell services may also be subject to this law.

The more I read about this law (not from you BBS, sorry... you can't be the expert in everything related to economics) the more I dislike it for reasons other than those previously stated.

Care to go into more detail?

I am seriously interested in your views on this. (might be a few days before I can check back, but I will read your post)
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2434
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby thegreekdog on Tue May 14, 2013 6:35 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:Two things I learned yesterday about this bill:

(1) The $1 million exception is for total sales; not total internet sales. So, a company that sells like $500,000 of product over the internet, but has $3 million of total sales is subject.

(2) More importantly, the law would apply to all remote sellers, not just internet sellers. In other words, if your brick and mortar store sells out of state, it would be subject to this law. Further, companies that sell services may also be subject to this law.

The more I read about this law (not from you BBS, sorry... you can't be the expert in everything related to economics) the more I dislike it for reasons other than those previously stated.

Care to go into more detail?

I am seriously interested in your views on this. (might be a few days before I can check back, but I will read your post)


There are some posts in here from me on this. You should read those. I don't have anything new to add.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby thegreekdog on Tue May 14, 2013 6:37 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:Two things I learned yesterday about this bill:

(1) The $1 million exception is for total sales; not total internet sales. So, a company that sells like $500,000 of product over the internet, but has $3 million of total sales is subject.

(2) More importantly, the law would apply to all remote sellers, not just internet sellers. In other words, if your brick and mortar store sells out of state, it would be subject to this law. Further, companies that sell services may also be subject to this law.

The more I read about this law (not from you BBS, sorry... you can't be the expert in everything related to economics) the more I dislike it for reasons other than those previously stated.


Oh, what have I been incorrect about?


Did I say incorrect? I'm pretty sure I typed "you can't be the expert" not that you're incorrect. The problem with your argument is not the substance of the argument, it's that you're arguing something that is not specific to this law. I would argue the same thing except about sales taxes generally. It's like arguing about the environmental impact of things in an economics discussion.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby rdsrds2120 on Tue May 14, 2013 6:40 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:Two things I learned yesterday about this bill:

(1) The $1 million exception is for total sales; not total internet sales. So, a company that sells like $500,000 of product over the internet, but has $3 million of total sales is subject.

(2) More importantly, the law would apply to all remote sellers, not just internet sellers. In other words, if your brick and mortar store sells out of state, it would be subject to this law. Further, companies that sell services may also be subject to this law.

The more I read about this law (not from you BBS, sorry... you can't be the expert in everything related to economics) the more I dislike it for reasons other than those previously stated.


Oh, what have I been incorrect about?


Did I say incorrect? I'm pretty sure I typed "you can't be the expert" not that you're incorrect. The problem with your argument is not the substance of the argument, it's that you're arguing something that is not specific to this law. I would argue the same thing except about sales taxes generally. It's like arguing about the environmental impact of things in an economics discussion.


Or vice versa, which I've run into a few times here :-k.

BMO
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class rdsrds2120
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 7220
Joined: Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:42 am
Medals: 90
Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (9)
Clan Achievement (7) Training Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (9)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby Bruceswar on Tue May 14, 2013 10:24 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:I can drive to Buffalo, pay New York sales tax and then get refunded that tax when I cross back into Canada.


Well that sounds like a Canadian Issue to me that the gov of Canada needs to work out. Why does Canada give you back those taxes when you cross back over?

It wouldn't be Canada that would refund you the taxes, it would be New York State.

Not all, but most, jurisdictions follow the doctrine that sales tax is for goods consumed locally and not for export. Thus, if you can prove that you are taking the goods out of their jurisdiction, you are an exporting and exempt to sales tax. If you already paid them, then those would be refundable.

Surely you've seen mail-order catalogues and whatnot, with "California residents add such-and-such sales tax" if they're in California or "Illinois residents add such-and-such sales tax" if they're in Illinois. That's the same doctrine. Only goods consumed locally are subject to those sales taxes, and if you're taking them out of the place they are sold, then you are not exempt.



OK so for Canada to fix this problem, then you need Canada to impose an Import Tax so that people do not want to drive to the US to buy goods or rather make it even for both sides of the boarder.
Highest Rank: 26 Highest Score: 3480
Image
User avatar
Captain Bruceswar
 
Posts: 9562
Joined: Sun Dec 23, 2007 12:36 am
Location: Cow Pastures
Medals: 141
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (14) General Achievement (14) Clan Achievement (19) Training Achievement (6) Map Contribution (1)

Re: Do we support the Internet Sales Tax?

Postby Timminz on Tue May 14, 2013 11:10 pm

Bruceswar wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:
Bruceswar wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:I can drive to Buffalo, pay New York sales tax and then get refunded that tax when I cross back into Canada.


Well that sounds like a Canadian Issue to me that the gov of Canada needs to work out. Why does Canada give you back those taxes when you cross back over?

It wouldn't be Canada that would refund you the taxes, it would be New York State.

Not all, but most, jurisdictions follow the doctrine that sales tax is for goods consumed locally and not for export. Thus, if you can prove that you are taking the goods out of their jurisdiction, you are an exporting and exempt to sales tax. If you already paid them, then those would be refundable.

Surely you've seen mail-order catalogues and whatnot, with "California residents add such-and-such sales tax" if they're in California or "Illinois residents add such-and-such sales tax" if they're in Illinois. That's the same doctrine. Only goods consumed locally are subject to those sales taxes, and if you're taking them out of the place they are sold, then you are not exempt.



OK so for Canada to fix this problem, then you need Canada to impose an Import Tax so that people do not want to drive to the US to buy goods or rather make it even for both sides of the boarder.


What, and piss-off our biggest trading partner?!
jay_a2j wrote:lets not be so quick to judge Hitler
User avatar
Captain Timminz
 
Posts: 5557
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:05 pm
Location: At the store
Medals: 55
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (10) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby danco on Tue May 14, 2013 11:26 pm

danco wrote:America love it or leave it thank you Ariche Bunker nice to know you still out there there are things only gov. can ,will,or should do i thought everyone knew this the founders provided a list mabey you ve heard of it a few things have been added no one has a problem helping the helpless banks. GM and the wind and solar scam not part of that group brick and mortor stores will evolve or cease your argement sounds like the complants against supermarkets 80 years ago or Walmart 20 years ago if your looking for the gov to solve problems with your compition you already have a phone book open to the blue pages the listing your after is under Welfare
User avatar
Lieutenant danco
 
Posts: 66
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:32 pm
Location: northeasteren United States in America
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

PreviousNext

Return to Babble-On Five

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron
Login