Conquer Club

Making young kids recite national anthems in schools.

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Making young kids recite national anthems in schools.

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Wed May 08, 2013 7:14 am

Do people actually have the illusion that this is not indoctrination of the basest kind?

Does this still happen in most countries?(I know I had to do it when growing up, but dunno if the practice is still current).
Do you think it should happen? I'm genuinely curious.

Also:
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Re: Making young kids recite national anthems in schools.

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed May 08, 2013 9:29 am

One of my relatives that lives out in the Northwest recently mentioned to me that...
Article, April 22, 2013:
Members of the Oregon House expressed a variety of views on the pledge of allegiance but wound up voting emphatically to require schools to offer its daily recitation
House Bill 3014 requires flags in all public and public charter school classrooms, and requires the schools to offer a daily recitation of the pledge for all students. The bill doesn't make it mandatory for students to stand or recite the pledge, but some lawmakers cautioned that students who don't join in would be stigmatized.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby muy_thaiguy on Wed May 08, 2013 10:51 am

Never required to do it, but no one gave any mind if you did.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby keiths31 on Wed May 08, 2013 11:10 am

O' Canada is sung in my kids' schools. Someone doesn't want to listen to it, they go in the hall way. Though to be honest, this happens very rarely, if at all in their schools.
Corporal 1st Class keiths31

Postby Army of GOD on Wed May 08, 2013 11:17 am

I never did it but I don't really care. The Government's job is to brainwash kids; I can't do shit about it.
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed May 08, 2013 11:24 am

I remember sometime between grades 5-8, I stopped saying the pledge when we started class in the morning. I think I did it to 'rebel.' I'd still stand, but I'd put my hands behind my back I think.

--Andy

Postby Colemanus on Wed May 08, 2013 11:29 am

There has been no great war that makes people want to. 7,000 does not count.
Cook Colemanus

Postby Woodruff on Wed May 08, 2013 11:39 am

Haggis_McMutton wrote:Do people actually have the illusion that this is not indoctrination of the basest kind?

This was just made law here in Nebraska this year. THIS is indoctrination, but I somehow suspect this isn't what Phatscotty is referring to when he complains about indoctrination by our schools.

Haggis_McMutton wrote:Does this still happen in most countries?(I know I had to do it when growing up, but dunno if the practice is still current). Do you think it should happen? I'm genuinely curious.

I'm a patriotic guy. I do think the United States is a great country. If there was something to gain from it, I might be in favor. However, required reciting of the Pledge of Allegience doesn't actually accomplish anything. The kids don't pay ANY attention to the words they're saying...they're just repeating them. Heck, I even find myself just going through the motions sometimes, so I KNOW they are. There is no gain to it. None. So what's the point?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed May 08, 2013 11:56 am

Woodruff wrote: None. So what's the point?

--Andy

Postby Gillipig on Wed May 08, 2013 12:11 pm

I like it. It's a positive kind of indoctrination. Better than most of the shit we're being indoctrinated with everyday.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby Frigidus on Wed May 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Woodruff wrote:The kids don't pay ANY attention to the words they're saying...they're just repeating them.

That's the truth right there. I was taught the Pledge of Allegiance when I was in Kindergarten. I had no idea what "indivisible", "republic", or "allegiance" meant. I had a very loose grasp on what exactly America stood for in general. It accomplishes nothing outside of making kids look like creepy, chanting cultists for 15 seconds.
Sergeant Frigidus

Postby Woodruff on Wed May 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Gillipig wrote:I like it. It's a positive kind of indoctrination. Better than most of the shit we're being indoctrinated with everyday.

What is positive about it? If they're not paying any attention to the words anyway, they're really NOT being indoctrinated. Essentially, it is a waste of a teacher's classroom time. Which they have little enough of as it is. Which means they're less effective. Which is what Phatscotty complains about.

So I would suggest to you that the Pledge of Allegience is actually a DETRIMENT, not a positive.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby Bones2484 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:16 pm

Gillipig wrote:Better than most of the shit we're being indoctrinated with everyday.

Such as?
Major Bones2484

Postby Gillipig on Wed May 08, 2013 12:27 pm

Bones2484 wrote:
Gillipig wrote:Better than most of the shit we're being indoctrinated with everyday.

Such as?

You really can't think of any!? Wow, I don't think I want to waste any time discussing it with you if you need to ask me that. Watch the news, that should give you a taste of indoctrination.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
Lieutenant Gillipig

Postby 2dimes on Wed May 08, 2013 12:28 pm

I'm not sure I understand the problem. Just move to a country you like enough to want your kids to sing a song about. Or conversely there are probably countries in Africa or South America with less school. You could teach them just the things you feel like.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Night Strike on Wed May 08, 2013 12:35 pm

The Pledge of Allegiance is better than the Obama-worship songs some schools have done.
Major Night Strike

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed May 08, 2013 12:36 pm

Night Strike wrote:The Pledge of Allegiance is better than the Obama-worship songs some schools have done.

Hellz yeah, bro!

--Andy

Postby Frigidus on Wed May 08, 2013 12:40 pm

Night Strike wrote:The Pledge of Allegiance is better than the Obama-worship songs some schools have done.

Even if I could write my own custom indoctrination song/chant for all the kids to repeat in school, I wouldn't be interested. We shouldn't be actively engaging in propaganda.
Sergeant Frigidus

Postby Army of GOD on Wed May 08, 2013 12:42 pm

Frigidus wrote:

Even if I could write my own custom indoctrination song/chant for all the kids to repeat in school, I wouldn't be interested. We shouldn't be actively engaging in propaganda.

terrorist
mrswdk is a ho
Lieutenant Army of GOD

Postby Bones2484 on Wed May 08, 2013 12:44 pm

Gillipig wrote:
Bones2484 wrote:

Such as?

You really can't think of any!? Wow, I don't think I want to waste any time discussing it with you if you need to ask me that. Watch the news, that should give you a taste of indoctrination.

I don't know about you, but I find it best to question and examine news sources before making up my mind. There are multiple outlets reporting on widely differing sides that you can pick from. We aren't being "indoctrinated" towards one news source in America by any stretch of the imagination.

Now if your answer was "religion", you might have an argument.
Major Bones2484

Postby Symmetry on Wed May 08, 2013 12:48 pm

When I was at school in the US I just stood up during the pledge without speaking.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby saxitoxin on Wed May 08, 2013 2:07 pm

Here's some trivia - before the Nazi Party was formed, the U.S. civil salute was also the Roman salute of the outstretched arm -

After the U.S. entered WWII they changed their civil salute to be a subdued version of the crossed chest salute used by Mexico.

Someone try to top that for trivia.
I STAND WITH THE RUSSIAN FEDERATION
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Wed May 08, 2013 4:24 pm

When I was in elementary school it was compulsory. I used to get in trouble all the time because I'd either not do it or some of us would make up a mockery pledge.

Frankly, I find the idea of making children repeat a pledge repellant.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed May 08, 2013 4:42 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:When I was in elementary school it was compulsory. I used to get in trouble all the time because I'd either not do it or some of us would make up a mockery pledge.

Frankly, I find the idea of making children repeat a pledge repellant.

-TG

And then you became an anarchist. It's all falling into place....
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby Woodruff on Wed May 08, 2013 5:08 pm

Gillipig wrote:
Bones2484 wrote:

Such as?

It appears to me that you're the one who couldn't think of any...

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,