Elizabeth Warren

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Discussions Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Elizabeth Warren

Postby crispybits on Wed May 15, 2013 6:10 pm

Hang on, so self-regulation is the solution to the problem caused because government and big banks are in each others' pockets and the line between bankers and regulators has become blurred? Am I misunderstanding something here or is there some delicious irony being served up?
User avatar
Major crispybits
 
Posts: 638
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:29 pm
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (7)

Re: Elizabeth Warren

Postby ooge on Wed May 15, 2013 6:29 pm

She is a great patriotic American we need more like her in office
Image
User avatar
Major ooge
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 2:31 am
Location: under a bridge
Medals: 87
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (4)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (4) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (10) General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (2)

Re: Elizabeth Warren

Postby Woodruff on Wed May 15, 2013 7:01 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:I'm not. She holds an imaginary vision of regulators and bankers/analysts/etc. That's not safe.


The imaginary vision that they should do their job? I knew you wouldn't like her.


Right, that's it, Woodruff. That's exactly my position.


Well at least you explained it.

Oh wait, you haven't explained anything except to claim that she holds an imaginary view of regulators, bankers and analysts. Well done, Phatscotty.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4881
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Elizabeth Warren

Postby Woodruff on Wed May 15, 2013 7:02 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:I'm not. She holds an imaginary vision of regulators and bankers/analysts/etc. That's not safe.


The imaginary vision that they should do their job? I knew you wouldn't like her.

BigBallinStalin wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I wonder about her supporters though given the comments at the end of the article.


And so it begins. That rhetoric will lead to great power for her.


Not a chance. She's going after those who provide the power. In this day and age, that is a highly ineffective strategy for gaining the power.


I'm surprised at BBS's response. She appears to be in favor of eliminating the rent-seeking done by banks and other financial institutions, which I think BBS would be in favor of. I don't believe she holds an imaginary view of regulators and bankers given the complete lack of oversight that the financial industry has.

Two caveats:

(1) I think there should be no or limited oversight of banks and financial institutions (so Ms. Warren and I would part ways on that point).
(2) The only reason there should be any oversight is if banks and financial institutions receive government funds, which they do.

So my preference, which would be at odds with Warren, is to have no government funds for financial institutions and no or limited oversight. If BBS also has that preference (which I believe he does) then I can understand why he does not agree with Warren.


I don't really understand the idea that they should have no or limited oversight. Haven't they proven the need for it? It's not like the free market will take care of it...it's clearly shown that it won't.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4881
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Elizabeth Warren

Postby Woodruff on Wed May 15, 2013 7:04 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
crispybits wrote:Surely it's incumbent on the government to make laws that we agree with and enforce them (because the former is meaningless without the latter). Those laws could be liberal or strict, but once made they need to be enforced. What exactly the law says is one discussion, finding cost-effective and meaningful ways to ensure those laws are enforced is a separate (but related) discussion.


There's more to order than government-imposed order.


The only order that a truly free market creates is monopolization which, ironically enough, goes against the idea of the free market. Well, that and the abuse of the worker.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4881
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Elizabeth Warren

Postby thegreekdog on Wed May 15, 2013 7:07 pm

crispybits wrote:Hang on, so self-regulation is the solution to the problem caused because government and big banks are in each others' pockets and the line between bankers and regulators has become blurred?


Yes, although "become" is not really the appropriate word. It's been blurred for a long-ass time.

crispybits wrote:Am I misunderstanding something here or is there some delicious irony being served up?


I'm not sure what the irony is. Here's a good story illustrating the bad effects of rent-seeking on a competitive market:

A politician, let's call him Barney, wins an election and eventually becomes the head of the Congressional committee that writes and decides on banking and finance laws. Barney's major supporters and campaign contributors consist of major banks and financial institutions. Barney, due to his political affiliations, write a "tough" law on banks and financial institutions. I put "tough" in quotes because it's not really a tough law because Barney's major supports consist of major banks and financial institutions. In any event, the law passes with overwhelming support and everyone is happy. The law, which is very broad, calls for regulations to be drafted by a new regulatory body (the Banking Commission). The Banking Commission is made up of people selected by Barney and others on Barney's Congressional committee and appointed by the president (a member of Barney's own political party). The people selected to be on the Banking Commission are all ex-employees of major banks and financial institutions. And not just ex-employees, former vice presidents of said major banks and financial institutions. These new Banking Commission guys write regulations that "interpret" the law that Barney assisted in drafting. The new Banking Commission guys also hire various people they know from the major banks and financial institutions to serve as regulators, enforcing both the laws and regulations.

So... what has happened? The major banks and financial institutions are essentially writing the laws and regulations that are ostensibly supposed to hold the major banks and financial institutions in check. They are also essentially charged with enforcing themselves. What they are able to do is skirt the stated purpose of the law and, simultaneously, eliminate competition from banks and financial institutions that are not "major" banks and financial institutions through the use of the law and regulatory bodies of which they hold sway.

So, instead of having a regulated banking and financial industry that is regulated by non-partisan and uninterested third parties, we have a select few banks and financial institutions that regulate themselves into more prominent positions, thereby eliminating competition. Furthermore, we've grown the size of government to the benefit of said banks and financial institutions, which calls for an increase in both spending and taxes.

So the question is what to do about it? Do we still trust the government? Can we fix the system? If so, at what point? Alternatively, can we let banks and financial institutions self-regulate through the market? Why not? Does the current system work in a satisfactory manner?
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Elizabeth Warren

Postby Woodruff on Wed May 15, 2013 7:07 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
crispybits wrote:Without going back and reading the article though, the impression it gave me was EW saying that there are laws, and that the government need to enforce those laws, at least in a single high publicity case, in order to make the compromises and plea bargains and out of court settlements good value for the population.

Self-regulation is a different topic entirely, or at least that's what I took from reading it just after it was posted.


Ignoring whether Warren is pandering (I think she is - but I also think she can both pander and make good points), she is calling attention to a particular problem, but not in the way that she should call attention to the problem.

As BBS suggests, she says "We're not enforcing the laws in a way that makes them effective" but what she should say is "Here's why we're not enforcing the laws and why the laws are written with loopholes."


The loopholes aren't the problem. The lack of effective response to violating the law is the problem.

thegreekdog wrote:To make an analogy, it's as if there are a bunch of employees goofing off instead of working, which no one likes (ostensibly). But the bosses join in and encourage the goofing off and wrote the rules specifically letting people goof off. Elizabeth Warren is making a speech to the company's shareholders saying that they should fire the employees, but not change the rules or fire the bosses.


If the current laws are not being enforced, writing different laws will not result in their being enforced.

thegreekdog wrote:She's not going far enough.


This confuses me, given that you don't believe they should be regulated at all.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4881
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Elizabeth Warren

Postby thegreekdog on Wed May 15, 2013 7:08 pm

Woodruff wrote:I don't really understand the idea that they should have no or limited oversight. Haven't they proven the need for it? It's not like the free market will take care of it...it's clearly shown that it won't.


When has the free market shown it couldn't take care of the problem?
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Elizabeth Warren

Postby thegreekdog on Wed May 15, 2013 7:09 pm

Woodruff wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
crispybits wrote:Without going back and reading the article though, the impression it gave me was EW saying that there are laws, and that the government need to enforce those laws, at least in a single high publicity case, in order to make the compromises and plea bargains and out of court settlements good value for the population.

Self-regulation is a different topic entirely, or at least that's what I took from reading it just after it was posted.


Ignoring whether Warren is pandering (I think she is - but I also think she can both pander and make good points), she is calling attention to a particular problem, but not in the way that she should call attention to the problem.

As BBS suggests, she says "We're not enforcing the laws in a way that makes them effective" but what she should say is "Here's why we're not enforcing the laws and why the laws are written with loopholes."


The loopholes aren't the problem. The lack of effective response to violating the law is the problem.

thegreekdog wrote:To make an analogy, it's as if there are a bunch of employees goofing off instead of working, which no one likes (ostensibly). But the bosses join in and encourage the goofing off and wrote the rules specifically letting people goof off. Elizabeth Warren is making a speech to the company's shareholders saying that they should fire the employees, but not change the rules or fire the bosses.


If the current laws are not being enforced, writing different laws will not result in their being enforced.

thegreekdog wrote:She's not going far enough.


This confuses me, given that you don't believe they should be regulated at all.


See above (you fast-posted me).
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Elizabeth Warren

Postby Woodruff on Wed May 15, 2013 7:09 pm

crispybits wrote:Hang on, so self-regulation is the solution to the problem caused because government and big banks are in each others' pockets and the line between bankers and regulators has become blurred? Am I misunderstanding something here or is there some delicious irony being served up?


Well of course, if they were only allowed to make their own rules, they certainly would just do the right thing and they certainly wouldn't collude. Talk about imaginary things...
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4881
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Elizabeth Warren

Postby Woodruff on Wed May 15, 2013 7:11 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:I don't really understand the idea that they should have no or limited oversight. Haven't they proven the need for it? It's not like the free market will take care of it...it's clearly shown that it won't.


When has the free market shown it couldn't take care of the problem?


The free market results in monopolization and abuse of the worker. The idea that consumers will have a choice when banks are allowed to set their own rules (resulting in no real choice) is silly.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4881
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Elizabeth Warren

Postby thegreekdog on Wed May 15, 2013 7:12 pm

Woodruff wrote:
crispybits wrote:Hang on, so self-regulation is the solution to the problem caused because government and big banks are in each others' pockets and the line between bankers and regulators has become blurred? Am I misunderstanding something here or is there some delicious irony being served up?


Well of course, if they were only allowed to make their own rules, they certainly would just do the right thing and they certainly wouldn't collude. Talk about imaginary things...


Yeah, that's kind of the point. They already make their own rules. But instead of 100% of them making their own rules, 2% of them do and then crowd out the remaining 98%. And then they also make sure that your tax dollars allow them to benefit themselves (to your detriment). Essentially, you're paying money to the government so that a handful of banks can write self-interested laws. Much better than free market, right?
Last edited by thegreekdog on Wed May 15, 2013 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Elizabeth Warren

Postby thegreekdog on Wed May 15, 2013 7:13 pm

Woodruff wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:I don't really understand the idea that they should have no or limited oversight. Haven't they proven the need for it? It's not like the free market will take care of it...it's clearly shown that it won't.


When has the free market shown it couldn't take care of the problem?


The free market results in monopolization and abuse of the worker. The idea that consumers will have a choice when banks are allowed to set their own rules (resulting in no real choice) is silly.


I'm pretty sure Ms. Warren is not talking about monopolization and abuse of the worker.

But I have no problem with anti-trust laws and I have no problem with unions. Not sure what working conditions and monopolies have to do with banking laws, so you'll have to help me here.
Image
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Elizabeth Warren

Postby Woodruff on Wed May 15, 2013 7:17 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
crispybits wrote:Hang on, so self-regulation is the solution to the problem caused because government and big banks are in each others' pockets and the line between bankers and regulators has become blurred? Am I misunderstanding something here or is there some delicious irony being served up?


Well of course, if they were only allowed to make their own rules, they certainly would just do the right thing and they certainly wouldn't collude. Talk about imaginary things...


Yeah, that's kind of the point. They already make their own rules. But instead of 100% of them making their own rules, 2% of them do and then crowd out the remaining 98%. And then they also make sure that your tax dollars allow them to benefit themselves (to your detriment). Essentially, you're paying money to the government so that a handful of banks can write self-interested laws. Much better than free market, right?


No different than free market. We already have a better choice than the major banks, and that is the smaller banks and credit unions. But how many people avail themselves of those better choices? They don't, and they won't. That's why the free market doesn't work...advertising wins the free market, and advertising isn't honest but too many people treat it like it is.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4881
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Elizabeth Warren

Postby Woodruff on Wed May 15, 2013 7:18 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Woodruff wrote:I don't really understand the idea that they should have no or limited oversight. Haven't they proven the need for it? It's not like the free market will take care of it...it's clearly shown that it won't.


When has the free market shown it couldn't take care of the problem?


The free market results in monopolization and abuse of the worker. The idea that consumers will have a choice when banks are allowed to set their own rules (resulting in no real choice) is silly.


I'm pretty sure Ms. Warren is not talking about monopolization and abuse of the worker.


Of course she isn't. It hasn't even come up. I'm simply pointing out why the free market doesn't work. Just like communism, it simply cannot work unfettered because people suck.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4881
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

PreviousNext

Return to Whose Forum is It Anyway?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Login