Intervention - Rwanda

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Sub-Saharan Conflict - what do?

Vote for military intervention.
4
9%
Vote against military intervention.
7
15%
Pay for government-military intervention.
2
4%
Voluntarily pay for free-market mercenaries to intervene.
4
9%
Sign up for the Armed Forces to fight there---(assume 100% certainty that you'd fight there).
0
No votes
Vote for aid.
3
7%
Vote against aid.
3
7%
Pay for government aid.
4
9%
Voluntarily pay for non-government aid.
8
17%
Do nothing, maybe express some sorrowful sentiment.
6
13%
Do nothing.
5
11%
 
Total votes : 46

Intervention - Rwanda

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri May 17, 2013 4:24 am

2dimes wrote:I'm not suggesting your personal knowledge is lacking. I find it strange that so many pretty large scale genocides are seemingly forgotten by society as a whole. Yet so many people keep wanting to discuss Israel. Often either to down play things or exaggerate them.


So, this post reminds me:

Suppose we discover from the news that 100k civilians have died in a major conflict in a sub-Saharan country. Nearly all of the casualties are civilian, the conflict appears to have no end in the short-term, but none of us live near the conflict, and it seems to be mostly isolating to that country.


What do you do? And why?
(e.g. Would you support any politician who promised to invade Rwanda to 'restore order'?)
Last edited by BigBallinStalin on Fri May 17, 2013 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3861
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby thegreekdog on Fri May 17, 2013 7:21 am

I need some more details. Is this in the context of our current foreign policy, in the context of past foreign policies (e.g. Clinton foreign policy), or in the context of some other, unmentioned foreign policy?
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby crispybits on Fri May 17, 2013 8:21 am

Also, does their leader have a ridiculous mustache or wear some tea towel thing on his head? I'm often swayed by how much the leader of the potential target looks like a Bond villain, because I'm scared we will be attacked by an army of sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads!
User avatar
Major crispybits
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:29 pm
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (9)

Postby 2dimes on Fri May 17, 2013 8:34 am

I don't feel informed enough to take action on this. Also, can someone define, "the news" here? If all sources are in agreement I don't know if that sways me or makes me more suspicious these days.
User avatar
Corporal 2dimes
 
Posts: 3905
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Just out for a rip!
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri May 17, 2013 11:55 am

thegreekdog wrote:I need some more details. Is this in the context of our current foreign policy, in the context of past foreign policies (e.g. Clinton foreign policy), or in the context of some other, unmentioned foreign policy?


Current events. The example is happening now, and as a voter and citizen, what would you do?
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3861
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri May 17, 2013 11:57 am

crispybits wrote:Also, does their leader have a ridiculous mustache or wear some tea towel thing on his head? I'm often swayed by how much the leader of the potential target looks like a Bond villain, because I'm scared we will be attacked by an army of sharks with frickin' laser beams on their heads!


He's looks normal but bears a slight resemblance to Big Chief Bo Dollis.
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3861
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re:

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri May 17, 2013 11:57 am

2dimes wrote:I don't feel informed enough to take action on this. Also, can someone define, "the news" here? If all sources are in agreement I don't know if that sways me or makes me more suspicious these days.


Suppose the deaths are accurate enough, and genocide is occurring. What do?
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3861
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby thegreekdog on Fri May 17, 2013 12:16 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I need some more details. Is this in the context of our current foreign policy, in the context of past foreign policies (e.g. Clinton foreign policy), or in the context of some other, unmentioned foreign policy?


Current events. The example is happening now, and as a voter and citizen, what would you do?


Vote against government military intervention
Provide non-government financial aid.

By the way, here are 50 saxbucks for your excellent poll choices (e.g. one could vote for voting for military intervention but not vote for paying for military intervention... i.e. a weasel).

By the way by the way, I assumed there are no exploitable natural resources or other non-humanitarian reason for us to be in this country.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri May 17, 2013 12:26 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I need some more details. Is this in the context of our current foreign policy, in the context of past foreign policies (e.g. Clinton foreign policy), or in the context of some other, unmentioned foreign policy?


Current events. The example is happening now, and as a voter and citizen, what would you do?


Vote against government military intervention
Provide non-government financial aid.

By the way, here are 50 saxbucks for your excellent poll choices (e.g. one could vote for voting for military intervention but not vote for paying for military intervention... i.e. a weasel).

By the way by the way, I assumed there are no exploitable natural resources or other non-humanitarian reason for us to be in this country.


Good enough assumption. I'd add it to the OP, but it would create too much clutter.


Anyway, why provide aid? You want organizations to hand out blankets or whatever to people who are running for their lives?

What's your ideal vision of that aid?
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3861
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby patches70 on Fri May 17, 2013 1:29 pm

Haha, people can choose multiple options. I love how people voted for military intervention but decline to go and do the wetwork themselves.

"We have to do something about this!"
"Here's a rifle, we'll ship you over there and you can fight the evil tyrants."
"Aww Hell no!"
Corporal patches70
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:44 pm
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri May 17, 2013 2:19 pm

Looks like free market/philanthropy is beating statism ITT.
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3861
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Postby 2dimes on Fri May 17, 2013 5:09 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:Suppose the deaths are accurate enough, and genocide is occurring. What do?

Ok, I voted according to that.
User avatar
Corporal 2dimes
 
Posts: 3905
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 1:08 pm
Location: Just out for a rip!
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Fri May 17, 2013 7:15 pm

patches70 wrote:Haha, people can choose multiple options. I love how people voted for military intervention but decline to go and do the wetwork themselves.

"We have to do something about this!"
"Here's a rifle, we'll ship you over there and you can fight the evil tyrants."
"Aww Hell no!"


And here I was thinking the US had a voluntary military. My bad.

---

Perhaps there should be a follow up here regarding the reasoning of the decision.

What is the reason people think it would be a good idea to allow hundreds of thousands of civilians be killed when it could be stopped with little cost to the already existent state apparatus?
Is it fear of being dragged in some kind of prolonged conflict or some other pragmatic reason?
Or is it some philosophical notion that "it's none of our business" ?
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
User avatar
Major Haggis_McMutton
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:32 am
Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (4)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby BigBallinStalin on Fri May 17, 2013 7:59 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:---

Perhaps there should be a follow up here regarding the reasoning of the decision.

(1) What is the reason people think it would be a good idea to allow hundreds of thousands of civilians be killed when it could be stopped with little cost to the already existent state apparatus?
(2) Is it fear of being dragged in some kind of prolonged conflict or some other pragmatic reason?
(3) Or is it some philosophical notion that "it's none of our business" ?


Ah, the fun questions have arrived!

(1) Three points: "good idea," "allow" and "little cost."
Is always intervening to prevent conflict a good idea? (Not always, so in x-amount of cases, it's a good idea not to intervene).

By 'allow', it seems that you're saying one is somehow responsible for remote conflicts, and/or that one has some obligation to intervene. Suppose there's some gang war occurring on the other side of your country. Was that your fault? Are you at all obligated to intervene in any way?

And regarding little cost, what do you mean? To each taxpayer, a war may be cheap in the short-run, but overall it's costly. A war/intervention can also be wasteful considering what else could've been produced/invested/consumed instead of the resources for intervention. An intervention can be especially wasteful if it becomes counter-productive because it could fail to resolve the systemic problems of the foreign conflict, or it could increase the genocide/conflict since the repressive government/rebels are being subsidized.

Finally, supporting a pattern of interventions maintains the "military-industrial-congressional complex" (MICC), which arguably costs too much, doesn't keep the citizens secure efficiently, and causes much harm instead of good.


(2) Sometimes, but it's not just fear. It is also knowing one's constraints (and the constraints of a government). We can conceive of problems where one jumps into a situation without understanding what's going on and without having the requisite social networks/organizations which can alleviate that lack of understanding (knowledge problem). That kind of intervention can be well-intended yet problematic. Also the intervention occurs through an incentive structure which is not quite capable of actually resolving the conflict or even fixing the systemic problems (e.g. the US/NATO intervention in AFG, Iraq, Libya, and all the lovely examples of failed 'democracies' and sustained dictatorships through US/NATO intervention).


(3) So, (2) is the political economic approach. With philosophy, if one is libertarian, you'd be against coercing people to extract funds in order to pay a government-provided service to invade another country, which did not initiate conflict against you. Government-funded subsidies (e.g. foreign aid) are unacceptable as well. Of course, there's many other doctrines which can either reject or support intervention, but if they don't address the issues of #2, then those doctrines can become counter-productive (i.e. cause more harm than good).



So, in short, it is reasonable and a completely good idea to not intervene in some cases. Sometimes, we don't know what is best for others in particular situations, and even if we envision what is best (e.g. "world peace"), we don't know how to attain that goal of peace. In many cases, the well-intended means won't attain the goal. Sometimes, the well-intended voters are simply manipulated into supporting a particular foreign policy (e.g. fearmongering, guilt-tripping), and other times, the voters are completely removed from the foreign policy process after they cheered on the politicians but then change their minds (or simply lose interest).
Last edited by BigBallinStalin on Fri May 17, 2013 8:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
User avatar
Colonel BigBallinStalin
 
Posts: 3861
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:23 pm
Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham
Medals: 48
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (10)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby patches70 on Fri May 17, 2013 8:13 pm

haggis wrote:And here I was thinking the US had a voluntary military. My bad.


Yeah, our men and women who joined the military did so for the express purpose of heading over to Rwanda to get into the middle of something we don't understand. :roll:

And here I thought we have a military to protect American security. How is Rwanda imploding a threat to the US? Hint: It's not.

Those who want to do something about Rwanda genocide, become a mercenary, head over and pick a side and start killing the other side. Because that what it boils down to in the end. Unless the hutus and tutsis can figure out how to coexist on their own.
If such people are squeamish about getting their hands bloody, then said people can donate their own money instead of offering up everyone else's money and blood.


Haggis_McMutton wrote:
What is the reason people think it would be a good idea to allow hundreds of thousands of civilians be killed when it could be stopped with little cost to the already existent state apparatus?


Little cost? In money? Nope. It's costly deploying troops, equipment and supplies. Lives? Nope, lots of people are going to die either way. Including our own troops. Who, incidentally, didn't sign up to get tossed into the middle of other people's civil wars that have nothing to do about anything to the US' own security.

Haggis_McMutton wrote:Is it fear of being dragged in some kind of prolonged conflict or some other pragmatic reason?


You think you can bring the hutus and tutsis to liking each other by the point of the bayonet? Once you put the bayonet to their backs to keep them from killing each other you have to keep that bayonet in place forever.

haggis wrote:Or is it some philosophical notion that "it's none of our business" ?


Why is it our business? Why not the African Union?

Unlike neocons, I don't think bringing democracy to a region by the point of the bayonet is the best way of going about such a goal.

It's a darn shame about Rwanda, surely it is. I don't know if it's still as bad as it was during the 90's, but as soon as Rwanda got out from under the thumb of the European powers they started killing each other. And why isn't it those same European powers who once controlled that region, why isn't it their problem to do something about the mess they helped create? Why does it always have to be the US that has to "fix" these things? Like we could even fix the situation if we tried.

It's bloody, it's dirty and it's a crying shame, but people have to work out their own problems in their own way I suppose. I don't even pretend to understand the cultures involved, but if you'd like to go fight for the hutus or the tutsis (take your choice) or the Rwandan central government (who did plenty of killing in their own right). I'm sure there are groups that would love to hire some mercenaries.

Now there is nothing wrong with trying to get all the sides to sit down and talk with each other, but if they all refuse then what?
You end up having to pick a side(s) and help to kill the other side(s).

So who's side should we take? Everybody is killing each other. Plenty of atrocities to go around for everyone. A bullet for you! A bullet for you and you! A bullet for everyone!!

Ugh.
Corporal patches70
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Sun Aug 29, 2010 12:44 pm
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby Serbia on Fri May 17, 2013 8:22 pm

Vote against military intervention.
Vote against aid.
Do nothing.

Bollocks.
User avatar
Captain Serbia
 
Posts: 9970
Joined: Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:10 pm
Location: Detroit/Cleveland
Medals: 80
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Achievement (9) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (31) General Contribution (6)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby Woodruff on Sat May 18, 2013 12:21 am

Been there, done that shit. Don't really care to go back. It's a truly fucked up situation. Gotta say that I lean toward just leaving them to do as they please until things start to actually affect us in a real way. And the aid won't reach the people that it should.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4944
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby crispybits on Sat May 18, 2013 4:17 am

Where is the option for political intervention, for example getting in the face of the African Union (in a diplomatic way) and telling them to sort it out, or at least to club together and make safe zones for refugees around the edges of the conflict and provide purely humanitarian and medical aid directly into those camps? To talk with the Chinese (who hold a lot of political and economic power across Africa right now) and get them to flex their political muscles to make this happen.

Why are the only options to do nothing or to incur financial or military costs ourselves?
User avatar
Major crispybits
 
Posts: 694
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:29 pm
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (9)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Sat May 18, 2013 4:33 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:Perhaps there should be a follow up here regarding the reasoning of the decision.

(1) What is the reason people think it would be a good idea to allow hundreds of thousands of civilians be killed when it could be stopped with little cost to the already existent state apparatus?
(2) Is it fear of being dragged in some kind of prolonged conflict or some other pragmatic reason?
(3) Or is it some philosophical notion that "it's none of our business" ?


Ah, the fun questions have arrived!

(1) Three points: "good idea," "allow" and "little cost."
Is always intervening to prevent conflict a good idea? (Not always, so in x-amount of cases, it's a good idea not to intervene).

By 'allow', it seems that you're saying one is somehow responsible for remote conflicts, and/or that one has some obligation to intervene. Suppose there's some gang war occurring on the other side of your country. Was that your fault? Are you at all obligated to intervene in any way?


No, if it's some semblance of an equal fight the pros and cons of intervention should be thought about carefully. However the tile says "Rwanda". And in Rwanda what we had was a bunch of thugs killing a million civilians with machetes while the actual conflict with the rebels was occurring in a different part of the country (until the rebels got there anyway).

I wouldn't say you're"responsible", but it's pretty akin, in my mind, to walking down an alleyway one night, seeing a crackhead committing a brutal rape and you continuing to walk and whistle unconcerned in your path cause "it's not your problem". You aren't responsible as in you couldn't be jailed for it, but it is a morally reprehensible act.

Btw. I'm gonna refer to the Rwandan example for the rest of this post as well.

BBS wrote:And regarding little cost, what do you mean? To each taxpayer, a war may be cheap in the short-run, but overall it's costly. A war/intervention can also be wasteful considering what else could've been produced/invested/consumed instead of the resources for intervention. An intervention can be especially wasteful if it becomes counter-productive because it could fail to resolve the systemic problems of the foreign conflict, or it could increase the genocide/conflict since the repressive government/rebels are being subsidized.


Again, in some other scenario this may be the case, but I don't think it was the case in Rwanda.

I couldn't find the figures on exactly how many men Dallaire had left in his peacekeeping mission, but here's what wikipedia says:

Following the withdrawal of Belgian forces, whom Dallaire considered his best-trained[6] and best-equipped, Dallaire consolidated his contingent of Pakistani, Canadian, Ghanaian, Tunisian, and Bangladeshi soldiers in urban areas and focused on providing areas of "safe control" in and around Kigali. Most of Dallaire's efforts were to defend specific areas where he knew Tutsis to be hiding. Dallaire's staff — including the U.N.'s unarmed observers — often relied on its U.N. credentials to save Tutsis, heading off Interahamwe attacks even while being outnumbered and outgunned. Dallaire's actions are credited with directly saving the lives of 32,000 persons of different races


So, with the troops he had left and without any international support he managed to cordon off entire sections of the capital and keep 30k people safe.
I'm no strategist, but it seems like a real army shouldn't have had too much trouble taking control of the whole area.

BBS wrote:Finally, supporting a pattern of interventions maintains the "military-industrial-congressional complex" (MICC), which arguably costs too much, doesn't keep the citizens secure efficiently, and causes much harm instead of good.


Sure. No disagreement there.
However, not intervening in extreme genocides like Rwanda for that reason is like witnessing said brutal rape while holding a pistol and deciding you're not gonna do anything cause you don't believe citizens should own pistols. As long as you already have the damn thing, you might as well actually use it in the small number of cases that actually warrant it.


BBS wrote:(2) Sometimes, but it's not just fear. It is also knowing one's constraints (and the constraints of a government). We can conceive of problems where one jumps into a situation without understanding what's going on and without having the requisite social networks/organizations which can alleviate that lack of understanding (knowledge problem). That kind of intervention can be well-intended yet problematic. Also the intervention occurs through an incentive structure which is not quite capable of actually resolving the conflict or even fixing the systemic problems (e.g. the US/NATO intervention in AFG, Iraq, Libya, and all the lovely examples of failed 'democracies' and sustained dictatorships through US/NATO intervention).


Yep. I agree that trying to impose a democracy in a country that isn't ready for it is a sticky business. But that's not what we're talking about here.

The Rwandan genocide lasted 100 days. ~1,000,000 civilians were killed by a couple thousand militia men, most of which were equipped only with machetes. After 100 days, the rebel army reached the capital and put a stop to it. I'm not saying Kagame, who has been president since, is all that swell, but nothing remotely comparable to the scale of the genocide has taken place since.

Additionally, there was no confusion regarding what was happening in Rwanda. The thing had pretty much been planned openly by the local political power. The UN peacekeeping mission actually managed to identify the main cache of weapons before the genocide.

wikipedia wrote:On January 12, 1994 Canadian Lieutenant General Roméo Dallaire (United Nations Force Commander in Rwanda) notified Military Adviser to the Secretary-General, Major-General Maurice Baril, of four major weapons caches and plans by the Hutus for extermination of Tutsis. The telegram from Dallaire stated that a top-level Interahamwe militia trainer directed demonstrations a few days before, to provoke an RPF battalion in Kigali into firing upon demonstrators and Belgian United Nations Assistance Mission for Rwanda troops into using force. The Interahamwe would then have an excuse to engage the Belgian troops and RPF battalion, killing Belgian citizens and causing the withdrawal of the Belgian contingent, the backbone of UNAMIR. The Tutsis would then be eliminated.

According to the informant, 1,700 Interahamwe militia were trained in governmental forces camps, and he was ordered to register all the Kigali Tutsis. Dallaire made immediate plans for UNAMIR troops to seize the arms caches and advised UN Headquarters of his intentions, believing these actions lay within his mission's mandate. The following day, headquarters responded that his outlined actions went beyond the mandate granted to UNAMIR under United Nations Security Council Resolution 872. Instead, he was to notify President Habyarimana of possible Arusha Accords violations and his concerns and report back on measures taken. Dallaire's January 11 telegram was important in later review of what information was available to the UN prior to the genocide.[31] On February 21, extremists assassinated the Minister of Public Works, and UNAMIR was unable to gain UN approval to investigate the murder.


This was in January. The genocide wouldn't start till April.

BBS wrote:(3) So, (2) is the political economic approach. With philosophy, if one is libertarian, you'd be against coercing people to extract funds in order to pay a government-provided service to invade another country, which did not initiate conflict against you. Government-funded subsidies (e.g. foreign aid) are unacceptable as well. Of course, there's many other doctrines which can either reject or support intervention, but if they don't address the issues of #2, then those doctrines can become counter-productive (i.e. cause more harm than good).


Sure, but the gun analogy seems apt here again. If the state apparatus needed for intervention is already present and being used frequently, I don't think you can really claim intervention shouldn't happen in cases like Rwanda because the military-industrial complex needs reducing.

BBS wrote:So, in short, it is reasonable and a completely good idea to not intervene in some cases. Sometimes, we don't know what is best for others in particular situations, and even if we envision what is best (e.g. "world peace"), we don't know how to attain that goal of peace. In many cases, the well-intended means won't attain the goal. Sometimes, the well-intended voters are simply manipulated into supporting a particular foreign policy (e.g. fearmongering, guilt-tripping), and other times, the voters are completely removed from the foreign policy process after they cheered on the politicians but then change their minds (or simply lose interest).


I agree with all of that. But, as far as I can see, Rwanda was pretty much as clear-cut a case for intervention as you're ever going to have.
And yet, everyone dropped the ball.
Last edited by Haggis_McMutton on Sat May 18, 2013 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
User avatar
Major Haggis_McMutton
 
Posts: 397
Joined: Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:32 am
Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3) General Achievement (4)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby saxitoxin on Sat May 18, 2013 4:49 am

If there hadn't been a civil war in Rwanda, would the tensions have arisen that led to the genocide? If France had not been arming and equipping the RPF, would there have been a civil war?

All interventions are to clean up earlier interventions that went wrong. The solution is never to intervene.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class saxitoxin
 
Posts: 1706
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:01 am
Location: the American Riviera
Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby Woodruff on Sun May 19, 2013 12:25 am

saxitoxin wrote:If there hadn't been a civil war in Rwanda, would the tensions have arisen that led to the genocide? If France had not been arming and equipping the RPF, would there have been a civil war?


It goes back before then to colonialization and...who, I think the Belgians?

saxitoxin wrote:All interventions are to clean up earlier interventions that went wrong. The solution is never to intervene.


In general I agree, but I would change your statement to...the solution shouldn't be ever to JUST intervene (and usually not to intervene at all). I would agree that much.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff
 
Posts: 4944
Joined: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:15 am
Medals: 27
Standard Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)
Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby thegreekdog on Mon May 20, 2013 2:55 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I need some more details. Is this in the context of our current foreign policy, in the context of past foreign policies (e.g. Clinton foreign policy), or in the context of some other, unmentioned foreign policy?


Current events. The example is happening now, and as a voter and citizen, what would you do?


Vote against government military intervention
Provide non-government financial aid.

By the way, here are 50 saxbucks for your excellent poll choices (e.g. one could vote for voting for military intervention but not vote for paying for military intervention... i.e. a weasel).

By the way by the way, I assumed there are no exploitable natural resources or other non-humanitarian reason for us to be in this country.


Good enough assumption. I'd add it to the OP, but it would create too much clutter.


Anyway, why provide aid? You want organizations to hand out blankets or whatever to people who are running for their lives?

What's your ideal vision of that aid?


I would provide aid for mercenary soldiers. Jeez.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon May 20, 2013 3:16 pm

thegreekdog wrote:I would provide aid for mercenary soldiers. Jeez.


No joke, when I first glanced at your post TGD, I read it as:

"I would provide aide for mercedes soldiers. Jeez." And then I briefly imagined trained rebel fighters zooming around in convertibles.


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25352
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby thegreekdog on Mon May 20, 2013 3:27 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I would provide aid for mercenary soldiers. Jeez.


No joke, when I first glanced at your post TGD, I read it as:

"I would provide aide for mercedes soldiers. Jeez." And then I briefly imagined trained rebel fighters zooming around in convertibles.


--Andy


I would absolutely not provide aid for Mercedes soldiers.

I may change my answer given Haggis's questions. They seems like good ones, although BBS's response was also well done.

Basically, I would give money because I would feel bad being against giving any aid at all. And I like to be honest in these types of threads.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6217
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Intervention - Rwanda

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Tue May 21, 2013 9:05 pm

Haggis wrote:I wouldn't say you're"responsible", but it's pretty akin, in my mind, to walking down an alleyway one night, seeing a crackhead committing a brutal rape and you continuing to walk and whistle unconcerned in your path cause "it's not your problem". You aren't responsible as in you couldn't be jailed for it, but it is a morally reprehensible act.


What if, by confronting the rapist, you get stabbed and die, and the rapist still rapes the woman. Then you've left your kids without a parent. What then?

-TG
ImageEight-year olds, Dude.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R
 
Posts: 497
Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:52 am
Location: 22 Acacia Avenue
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (1)

Next

Return to Babble-On Five

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: mrswdk

Login