Conquer Club

Religion is a Mental Illness

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Religion is a Mental Illness

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:44 am

Phatscotty wrote:Does anyone want to take a stab at why the the Church does not officially endorse contraceptives? Anyone who is certain of the answer should let a few guesses fly.

Two reasons:
1. Due to the outmoded and illogical belief that the availability of contraceptives will cause young people to have sex when they wouldn't have done so otherwise.
2. Keeping Catholic families "uncontraceptivized" keeps the Catholic population up.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:37 am

john9blue wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
john9blue wrote:i'd say it's due to higher intelligence and therefore higher empathy.

this doesn't mean that intelligent individuals have the highest empathy... in fact high intelligence can isolate someone and cause them to not care about others. but i do think that the intelligence of a species overall gives them a higher capacity for empathy.

Wait, so how you compare that answer with this:

but, for starters, religious people are more likely to view the human race as uniquely valuable in the universe, and therefore less likely to take drastic actions with the possible consequences of eliminating human life (or most of it)

Here it's implied that the decline of homicide is explained by some change in the variable of "religious people."

i don't think the variable of "religious people" has changed much at all. again, we don't really have any non-religious societies like ours to compare homicide rates with.

If the independent variable (per-capita religious people) has hardly changed, yet the dependent variable (homicides) has, then this does not look good for that independent variable. The change in the dependent variable can be explained by other relevant variables (e.g. greater ability to receive gains through trade instead of pillaging, change in mannerisms--no thanks to religion, change in governance, etc.). Thus, we don't need to look at a totally non-religious society to undermine the allegedly peaceful role that religion takes. You could also compare 99% religious countries (Islamic, N. America) with 80% religious countries (Black Metal Motherland, Scandinavia).
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Re:

Postby Teflon Kris on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:36 pm

Communism is awful because it has killed more people in the 20th century than all religious wars combined since the beginning of time.....for one

I see, so there right didnt arm one side, all over 3 continents, in the proxy cold war?

:roll:
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby Teflon Kris on Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:42 pm

i don't think the variable of "religious people" has changed much at all. again, we don't really have any non-religious societies like ours to compare homicide rates with.

You can compare with your ancestors lands and find that the US has more murder, more gun crime, more gangs, more crime in general than most of Europe (hard to compare with some places elsewhere due to recording etc).

And ,the US is more right-wing than pretty much anywhere in Europe (having replaced the Germans as the Empire).

So, again, monotheism is the tool of the right. Its harder to twist science but you can bet your bottom dollar where it has been, and probably still is, attempted (e.g. 'reefer madness' lol).
Sergeant 1st Class Teflon Kris

Postby tzor on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:53 pm

crispybits wrote:But in the case of politics, a rational debate can be had.

You haven't been on Sean Hannity's forums, have you.

crispybits wrote:We have both political and religious threads on these forums and their nature is very different.

One example does not a rule make. Again, I point out the Hannity forums; all hell breaks loose in politics, but the religious forums remain very civil.

crispybits wrote:In the real world politics has developed this cult of personality, and more's the pity because it's harmful to the process, but the basic rules of the debates are well established and while the best choices may not always be made, at least the process is (to an extent) transparent and we know why we're writing law X to deal with problem Y (ignoring the behind the scenes lobbying stuff which I'm also not a fan of at all)

(In my best George Takei voice) Oh My.

You really don't know politics, do you?

That bill they are trying to prevent children getting shot up in schools ... it doesn't do a thing to keep guns from the criminals.

The "farm" bill ... it's 80% food stamps and if anyone touches that the President is going to veto it.

NOTHING IS WHAT IT CLAIMS TO BE. Hell, even the "Affordable Care Act" isn't affordable.

And we do have to pass this thing to know what is in it. Written behind closed doors.

Sorry to tell you that. But I won't say "Politics" is a Mental Illness. I just won't.
Cadet tzor

Postby tzor on Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:55 pm

DJ Teflon wrote:You can compare with your ancestors lands and find that the US has more murder, more gun crime, more gangs, more crime in general than most of Europe (hard to compare with some places elsewhere due to recording etc).

No it doesn't. And if it wasn't for the fact that I am about to donate blood, I would go to my living room and pull out the stat book that proves this is not the case.
Cadet tzor

Postby john9blue on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:27 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
john9blue wrote:i don't think the variable of "religious people" has changed much at all. again, we don't really have any non-religious societies like ours to compare homicide rates with.

If the independent variable (per-capita religious people) has hardly changed, yet the dependent variable (homicides) has, then this does not look good for that independent variable. The change in the dependent variable can be explained by other relevant variables (e.g. greater ability to receive gains through trade instead of pillaging, change in mannerisms--no thanks to religion, change in governance, etc.). Thus, we don't need to look at a totally non-religious society to undermine the allegedly peaceful role that religion takes. You could also compare 99% religious countries (Islamic, N. America) with 80% religious countries (Black Metal Motherland, Scandinavia).

i never said that the decline of homicide was due to religion. i said that a decline in religion (which has not happened to any meaningful extent) would lead to an increase in homicide. just because the dependent variable changes due to one thing doesn't mean it can't change due to another thing.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby AAFitz on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:28 pm

john9blue wrote:no, you're thinking of "leftism"

"religion" is the reason we aren't killing each other and nuking ourselves off the fucking planet.

crazy fucks like you are what happen when most people abandon religion

Yeah, thank God for religion. Wars have never been fought for religious reasons.
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby Woodruff on Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:55 pm

tzor wrote:
crispybits wrote:But in the case of politics, a rational debate can be had.

You haven't been on Sean Hannity's forums, have you.

crispybits wrote:We have both political and religious threads on these forums and their nature is very different.

One example does not a rule make. Again, I point out the Hannity forums; all hell breaks loose in politics, but the religious forums remain very civil.

crispybits wrote:In the real world politics has developed this cult of personality, and more's the pity because it's harmful to the process, but the basic rules of the debates are well established and while the best choices may not always be made, at least the process is (to an extent) transparent and we know why we're writing law X to deal with problem Y (ignoring the behind the scenes lobbying stuff which I'm also not a fan of at all)

(In my best George Takei voice) Oh My.

You really don't know politics, do you?

That bill they are trying to prevent children getting shot up in schools ... it doesn't do a thing to keep guns from the criminals.

The "farm" bill ... it's 80% food stamps and if anyone touches that the President is going to veto it.

NOTHING IS WHAT IT CLAIMS TO BE. Hell, even the "Affordable Care Act" isn't affordable.

Indeed..."Patriot Act", anyone?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:36 am

AAFitz wrote:
john9blue wrote:no, you're thinking of "leftism"

"religion" is the reason we aren't killing each other and nuking ourselves off the fucking planet.

crazy fucks like you are what happen when most people abandon religion

Yeah, thank God for religion. Wars have never been fought for religious reasons.

I super puffy heart this argument. It's based in so much fact it hurts. /sarcasm
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby tzor on Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:20 pm

Woodruff wrote:Indeed..."Patriot Act", anyone?

I am not so sure ... it does "act" patriotic, even though it is nothing of the sort.
Cadet tzor

Postby Woodruff on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:51 pm

Postby Woodruff on Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:41 am

Ok, first of all...only six months in jail, they only have to serve ONE MONTH OF IT PER YEAR, and their other children (there is apparently at least one) isn't taken away from them?

This is some serious bullshit.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/03/19275007-homicide-convictions-upheld-for-wisconsin-parents-who-treated-dying-daughter-with-prayer?lite

Never mind that the whole idea of a "faith healing privilege under the child abuse statute" is also some serious bullshit, given how often this sort of thing seems to happen. And 17 states have this privilege in their laws? Egads.

IRe: Religion is a Mental Illness

Postby chang50 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:46 am

Woodruff wrote:Ok, first of all...only six months in jail, they only have to serve ONE MONTH OF IT PER YEAR, and their other children (there is apparently at least one) isn't taken away from them?

This is some serious bullshit.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/03/19275007-homicide-convictions-upheld-for-wisconsin-parents-who-treated-dying-daughter-with-prayer?lite

Never mind that the whole idea of a "faith healing privilege under the child abuse statute" is also some serious bullshit, given how often this sort of thing seems to happen. And 17 states have this privilege in their laws? Egads.

And the defence attorney talks as if the murderers are the victims,seriously if I knew these scum it would take all my self control not to kick the crap out of both of them.Maybe they could pray for me to stop and see if it had more effect this time round.No civilised country would even consider their lame defence...
Captain chang50

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:45 am

pimpdave wrote:Think about it.

Pederasty is pretty much a mental illness, as well as a heinous crime.

All of Islam is pretty much batshit. Same with Scientology. I mean, come on!

Nice try at trolling.

Some could argue any thinking is an "illness" of the brain. It all gets down to what you want to consider normal or not. Just thinking itself is not very "normal" in the animal world.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby warmonger1981 on Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:56 pm

If a Deity is imposed on a person, does that person not become a prisoner to that particular Deity. Being that the person has not been exposed to a Deity. Isn't religion used as mental warfare and not so much as physical warfare. It is easier to control through the brain than by physical shit.
Captain warmonger1981

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:19 pm

john9blue wrote:i never said that the decline of homicide was due to religion. i said that a decline in religion (which has not happened to any meaningful extent) would lead to an increase in homicide.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/2012/0815/Atheism-on-the-rise-around-the-globe

Atheism is on the rise in the United States and elsewhere while religiosity is declining, according to a new worldwide poll. “The Global Index of Religiosity and Atheism,” conducted by WIN-Gallup International headquartered in Switzerland, found that the number of Americans who say they are “religious” dropped from 73 percent in 2005 – when the poll was last conducted – to 60 percent. Those who said they were “convinced” atheists rose from 1 to 5 percent. And 33 percent of the people polled said that they don’t consider themselves as a “religious person."
Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby john9blue on Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:54 pm

Haggis_McMutton wrote:
john9blue wrote:i never said that the decline of homicide was due to religion. i said that a decline in religion (which has not happened to any meaningful extent) would lead to an increase in homicide.

http://www.csmonitor.com/World/Global-News/2012/0815/Atheism-on-the-rise-around-the-globe

Atheism is on the rise in the United States and elsewhere while religiosity is declining, according to a new worldwide poll. “The Global Index of Religiosity and Atheism,” conducted by WIN-Gallup International headquartered in Switzerland, found that the number of Americans who say they are “religious” dropped from 73 percent in 2005 – when the poll was last conducted – to 60 percent. Those who said they were “convinced” atheists rose from 1 to 5 percent. And 33 percent of the people polled said that they don’t consider themselves as a “religious person."

this is unsurprising. i guess we will have to wait and see the results of this new trend, then
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
Captain john9blue

Postby Woodruff on Fri Jul 05, 2013 12:40 am

Haggis_McMutton wrote:

What is a "convinced" atheist? I mean...I'm CONVINCED, but I also realize I could be wrong. So it doesn't seem to me that's a good term for a "non-agnostic atheist", which I presume it's supposed to be?

YRe: Religion is a Mental Illness

Postby chang50 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:25 am

Woodruff wrote:
Haggis_McMutton wrote:

What is a "convinced" atheist? I mean...I'm CONVINCED, but I also realize I could be wrong. So it doesn't seem to me that's a good term for a "non-agnostic atheist", which I presume it's supposed to be?

You are correct Woody the term is essentially meaningless,'convinced' of what?That you are an atheist ie you don't believe in the existence of gods?By that standard all atheists are convinced of their own atheism obviously.If it means you know gods do not exist ie you are a gnostic atheist,then where are all the agnostic atheists,in my experience the majority?Clumsy and careless use of language at best,not untypical of polling organisations.
Captain chang50

Postby crispybits on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:07 am

I think that some (particularly but not exclusively) religious people get confused by atheism. Many atheists are also not sure how to use the various terms effectively.

In christian terms I am a "convinced" atheist - I firmly believe that the God of the bible does not exist.

In general terms I am an agnostic atheist - I don't think that God exists but for certain definitions of God I remain open to the possibility as an unknown and in theory unknowable fact of reality. If he does exist I have my own best guesses about what he is and how he works but I accept that these are only guesses and have no more validity than the crazy person over there in the straightjacket who claims to be carrying on constant conversations with him where he is telling them to eat only willow bark and to spend every Thursday doing nothing but trying to suck toes (their own or someone else's).
Major crispybits

Postby chang50 on Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:30 am

crispybits wrote:I think that some (particularly but not exclusively) religious people get confused by atheism. Many atheists are also not sure how to use the various terms effectively.

In christian terms I am a "convinced" atheist - I firmly believe that the God of the bible does not exist.

In general terms I am an agnostic atheist - I don't think that God exists but for certain definitions of God I remain open to the possibility as an unknown and in theory unknowable fact of reality. If he does exist I have my own best guesses about what he is and how he works but I accept that these are only guesses and have no more validity than the crazy person over there in the straightjacket who claims to be carrying on constant conversations with him where he is telling them to eat only willow bark and to spend every Thursday doing nothing but trying to suck toes (their own or someone else's).

I wish I had a penny for every time someone,usually a theist,tries to tell me what my atheism must entail,or that it is a religion,or even a worldview.It's almost as if they cannot grasp that individuals can take a position on a single issue without massive societal support and reinforcement.Confused hits the nail squarely on the head.
Captain chang50

Postby john9blue on Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:12 pm

crispybits wrote:I think that some (particularly but not exclusively) religious people get confused by atheism. Many atheists are also not sure how to use the various terms effectively.

that doesn't make you a convinced atheist, that makes you a convinced a-jehovist (or whatever you want to call the god of the bible)

crispybits wrote:In general terms I am an agnostic atheist - I don't think that God exists but for certain definitions of God I remain open to the possibility as an unknown and in theory unknowable fact of reality. If he does exist I have my own best guesses about what he is and how he works but I accept that these are only guesses and have no more validity than the crazy person over there in the straightjacket who claims to be carrying on constant conversations with him where he is telling them to eat only willow bark and to spend every Thursday doing nothing but trying to suck toes (their own or someone else's).

only partially agnostic, though.

chang50 wrote: I wish I had a penny for every time someone,usually a theist,tries to tell me what my atheism must entail,or that it is a religion,or even a worldview.It's almost as if they cannot grasp that individuals can take a position on a single issue without massive societal support and reinforcement.Confused hits the nail squarely on the head.

i wish i had a penny for every time someone, usually an atheist, tries to tell me what all my contradictory christian beliefs must logically entail, or that it's a bad influence on society, or even a poison. it's almost as if they cannot grasp that god can do amazing things that go beyond human understanding.

i just tried to show you how stupid your post was by counterexample, but if you need further clarification, then let me know.
Captain john9blue

Postby crispybits on Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:09 pm

Re: the first bit to me

Yeah sure, but in western cultures where religion is predominantly christian, it is my experience that professing atheism tends towards the assumption by others that you are predominantly a non-christian flavour of atheist (if that makes any sense at all). That assumption is wrong for some atheists, but when a survey says about "convinced atheists" I would guess that a fair amount of the people that gave this answer were convinced about the non-existence of the biblical God rather than anything that could possibly fall under any definition of God ever made. Not everyone gives all this hokum much thought or time.

Re: the last bit to chang

This falls under the remit of how we judge a truth value of a claim. The following are very different:

- I believe X is true. The belief that X is true entails some philosophical consequences and I should be willling to defend those consequences if I wish to put forward my positive claim about the truth of X and have it widely accepted.

- I believe that there is not sufficient evidence to say if X is true or false. There are no further consequences to this belief except that I must honestly evaluate any further evidence put forward by those who believe that X is true.
Major crispybits

Postby Phatscotty on Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:02 pm

So all these people like this were mentally ill? What does that say about what they were fighting for and ready to risk?

If you only understood what it is you actually debase...

Major Phatscotty

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,