Conquer Club

Religion is a Mental Illness

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Religion is a Mental Illness

Postby pimpdave on Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:51 pm

Think about it.

Pederasty is pretty much a mental illness, as well as a heinous crime.

All of Islam is pretty much batshit. Same with Scientology. I mean, come on!
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Re: Religion is a Mental Illness

Postby john9blue on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:10 pm

no, you're thinking of "leftism"

"religion" is the reason we aren't killing each other and nuking ourselves off the fucking planet.

crazy fucks like you are what happen when most people abandon religion
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby Metsfanmax on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:15 pm

john9blue wrote:no, you're thinking of "leftism"

"religion" is the reason we aren't killing each other and nuking ourselves off the fucking planet.

The 99.8% of the US prison population that is not atheist called, and wants the "crazy fucks" title back.
Sergeant 1st Class Metsfanmax

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:28 pm

we wouldn't be anywhere close to where we are today if humans did not organize themselves and set certain general rules, whether the skydaddy is real or not.
Major Phatscotty

Postby nietzsche on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:38 pm

for every religious nutjob, there are 10000 that go about living without bothering others' and their beliefs

*10000 is a number i got out of my ass
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby john9blue on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:43 pm

Metsfanmax wrote:The 99.8% of the US prison population that is not atheist called, and wants the "crazy fucks" title back.

they also asked me to tell you that most of the world's crazy fucks aren't in prison. they also requested that you practice what you preach and stop spreading baseless claims without evidence
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
Captain john9blue

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:49 pm

Whereas I think pd is wrong here, it worries me when people think that a set of rules invented by an unknowable supernatural being is all that prevents them from killing people. I mean, I've hardly killed anybody sice I became an atheist. Add up the death count in the Bible or the Bhagavad-Gita, and I think you'll find that (the) God(s) are a tad more guilty than me.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby muy_thaiguy on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:52 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:

Whereas I think pd is wrong here, it worries me when people think that a set of rules invented by an unknowable supernatural being is all that prevents them from killing people. I mean, I've hardly killed anybody sice I became an atheist. Add up the death count in the Bible or the Bhagavad-Gita, and I think you'll find that (the) God(s) are a tad more guilty than me.

Nah, everyone knows you're a psycopath Jonesy.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:54 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:

Nah, everyone knows you're a psycopath Jonesy.

Yeah, but a nice one.

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:13 am

jonesthecurl wrote:

It's pretty easy in the year 2013, but rather than using yourself as an example, compare yourself to a barbarian in the 6th century, or a starving villager in the 2nd century, or an angry drunk in the 7th century. I do understand why it worries you, because it worries me very much too if mankind says "we know murder is wrong just cuz, but if you don't get caught...." That's the idea. Even if you get away with murder, God knows. And God only knows how many people were prevented from killing themselves because they fear hell (whether it's real or not)

I'm sure that's not the "only" reason, but it's definitely a main reason, and we are benefiting from centuries of at least hearing "thou shall not murder". after a hundred generations, it makes a difference than if nobody ever repeated over and over and over again.

practice makes perfect, just like you Jonesy ;)
Major Phatscotty

Postby nietzsche on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:15 am

Phatscotty wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:

It's pretty easy in the year 2013, but rather than using yourself as an example, compare yourself to a barbarian in the 6th century, or a starving villager in the 2nd century, or an angry drunk in the 7th century. I do understand why it worries you, because it worries me very much too if mankind says "we know murder is wrong just cuz, but if you don't get caught...." That's the idea. Even if you get away with murder, God knows. And God only knows how many people were prevented from killing themselves because they fear hell (whether it's real or not)

I'm sure that's not the "only" reason, but it's definitely a main reason, and we are benefiting from centuries of at least hearing "thou shall not murder". after a hundred generations, it makes a difference than if nobody ever repeated over and over and over again.

no obama?
el cartoncito mas triste del mundo
General nietzsche

Postby john9blue on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:17 am

jonesthecurl wrote:Whereas I think pd is wrong here, it worries me when people think that a set of rules invented by an unknowable supernatural being is all that prevents them from killing people. I mean, I've hardly killed anybody sice I became an atheist. Add up the death count in the Bible or the Bhagavad-Gita, and I think you'll find that (the) God(s) are a tad more guilty than me.

aside from what scotty said (centuries of beneficial societal indoctrination),i think the reason you believe this is because you think humans are fundamentally altruist and moral beings. and i don't... which may explain some of our political differences, as well.
Captain john9blue

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:19 am

and I think there is a little bit of "everyone is like me" going on there too
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:20 am

nietzsche wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:

no obama?

LOCK THIS F*CKING THREAD IMMEDIATELY!!!!!
Major Phatscotty

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:33 am

It is true that rules sometimes need the backing of "cos it's the divine plan". Who would be the first to have agreed to have their son's genitalia mutilated just to eliminate hemophiliacs? ( I know it seems normal in the USA now, but that's another question - and another thread). Similarly there's a good reason that Hindus don't eat cows. The gods tell you not to. That way even after the worst famine you haven't eaten the animals that pull your plough.
Here's a bit of Obama on request ( or any other major politician) - the snooping into personal communications which are rightly the subject of much angst at the moment are being justified in the name of "security". We can't know Security (it's divine workings are hidden from us). We can't question it (its divine wisdom is beyond our understanding). Sounds familiar.
Point is, haven't we grown up enough to not require written rules, enforced by a priesthood which is better of than most of us and whose main ambition now is to keep their position? (Note : some of you will see a political parallel here too - I don't blame you one bit.)

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:42 am

jonesthecurl wrote:It is true that rules sometimes need the backing of "cos it's the divine plan". Who would be the first to have agreed to have their son's genitalia mutilated just to eliminate hemophiliacs? ( I know it seems normal in the USA now, but that's another question - and another thread). Similarly there's a good reason that Hindus don't eat cows. The gods tell you not to. That way even after the worst famine you haven't eaten the animals that pull your plough.
Here's a bit of Obama on request ( or any other major politician) - the snooping into personal communications which are rightly the subject of much angst at the moment are being justified in the name of "security". We can't know Security (it's divine workings are hidden from us). We can't question it (its divine wisdom is beyond our understanding). Sounds familiar.
Point is, haven't we grown up enough to not require written rules, enforced by a priesthood which is better of than most of us and whose main ambition now is to keep their position? (Note : some of you will see a political parallel here too - I don't blame you one bit.)

Faith can be the greatest strength of mankind, and certainly twisted individuals can and do twist it to serve themselves or to hide in it. But that is for each person to question themselves.

Last edited by Phatscotty on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Major Phatscotty

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:44 am

Phatscotty wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:It is true that rules sometimes need the backing of "cos it's the divine plan". Who would be the first to have agreed to have their son's genitalia mutilated just to eliminate hemophiliacs? ( I know it seems normal in the USA now, but that's another question - and another thread). Similarly there's a good reason that Hindus don't eat cows. The gods tell you not to. That way even after the worst famine you haven't eaten the animals that pull your plough.

Faith can be the greatest strength of mankind, and certainly twisted individuals can and do twist it to serve themselves or to hide in it. But that is for each person to question themselves.

I knew you were an anarchist. Oh, and that's NOT an insult.

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:45 am

Why were Martin Luther King Jr. and Abraham Lincoln men of intense faith? (to anyone)
Major Phatscotty

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:55 am

Phatscotty wrote:Why were Martin Luther King Jr. and Abraham Lincoln men of faith? (to anyone)

Why not?
Was it simply that that made them admirable people? If so, why wasn't everybody in Lincoln's time on his side? Were the South not people of faith?

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:01 am

jonesthecurl wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:Why were Martin Luther King Jr. and Abraham Lincoln men of faith? (to anyone)

Why not?
Was it simply that that made them admirable people? If so, why wasn't everybody in Lincoln's time on his side? Were the South not people of faith?

No, I don't think just because they were men of intense faith makes them admirable. I think they were admirable because they stood up against tremendous adversity to some of the biggest challenges in all of history for the most important values and principles of humanity, and I don't think they could have come close to getting it done without intense faith and inspiration from it, that they were in fact doing the right thing for the right reasons. I don't know why everyone didn't think the exact same way, but I know they didn't. I don't know how many people of the faith were in the South during the civil war.

I'm trying to explore other reasons, besides the one you provided (killing people), that religion is good/bad/mental illness.
Major Phatscotty

ot Re: Religion is a Mental Illness

Postby chang50 on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:39 am

john9blue wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:Whereas I think pd is wrong here, it worries me when people think that a set of rules invented by an unknowable supernatural being is all that prevents them from killing people. I mean, I've hardly killed anybody sice I became an atheist. Add up the death count in the Bible or the Bhagavad-Gita, and I think you'll find that (the) God(s) are a tad more guilty than me.

aside from what scotty said (centuries of beneficial societal indoctrination),i think the reason you believe this is because you think humans are fundamentally altruist and moral beings. and i don't... which may explain some of our political differences, as well.

So why not just cut out all the crap and say society needs a way to control all the selfish and amoral people so we've made up this story about a divine creator etc etc..but wait then they wouldn't believe it,shit,better stick to plan A and keep lying to them.For the general good,of course.
Captain chang50

Postby waauw on Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:50 am

right... :? Hence why christian america goes to war so often. Do I have to pull out the peace-index again?

john9blue wrote:aside from what scotty said (centuries of beneficial societal indoctrination),i think the reason you believe this is because you think humans are fundamentally altruist and moral beings. and i don't... which may explain some of our political differences, as well.

Then explain to me how some people in east asia and the america's had moral standards, long before they even got influenced by western/middle eastern religions.
Last edited by waauw on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lieutenant waauw

Postby Haggis_McMutton on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:03 am

john9blue wrote:they also requested that you practice what you preach and stop spreading baseless claims without evidence

Highest score: 3063; Highest position: 67;
Winner of {World War II tournament, -team 2010 Skilled Diversity, [FuN||Chewy]-[XII] USA};
8-3-7
Major Haggis_McMutton

Postby Donelladan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:05 am

Well Phatscotty, you are saying that religion is what prevent us of killing each other.
But, in lot of case, in the past and in the present, religion is THE REASON why we killed each other... :?
Some kind of a pb?

I dont think it is the religion's fault. If I imagine a world with no religion, I dont think there is no war. People just like killing each other. But they very often use religion as a good reason to kill each other, or discriminate.
And pb is people with "weak mind" get influenced by some religious leader and do wrong things, even they are not always bad people or mentally ill.

And, I, of course, disagree with the fact that religion is a mental illness. I am catholic and dont think I am mentally ill. :lol:
Last edited by Donelladan on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brigadier Donelladan

Postby waauw on Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:07 am

Phatscotty wrote:It's pretty easy in the year 2013, but rather than using yourself as an example, compare yourself to a barbarian in the 6th century, or a starving villager in the 2nd century, or an angry drunk in the 7th century. I do understand why it worries you, because it worries me very much too if mankind says "we know murder is wrong just cuz, but if you don't get caught...." That's the idea. Even if you get away with murder, God knows. And God only knows how many people were prevented from killing themselves because they fear hell (whether it's real or not)

It's not the main reason at all. The main reason why most people want to punish murderers is because
1. People seek safety as a group(pack-mentality)
2. people know that if you let murder and other crimes go free, you get anarchy.

Any of these reasons is more important than "the bible says so".
Lieutenant waauw

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,