Conquer Club

The Ultimate pro-WalMart Article

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: The Ultimate pro-WalMart Article

Postby john9blue on Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:18 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:LOL

The problem is that you think a business has the right to determine the worth of a human being based on the profit they wish to attain. That is backwards. What is greedy is to demand that its OK to ask people to work at any job and that you don't have to worry about what it costs them to eat or get a house or anything else.. just what you think is a reasonable profit.

sounds like you're the one attempting to judge the worth of a human being by forcing a business owner to pay them more money than another person would agree to get paid for doing the same job.

the (ideal) market works without bias and treats everyone the exact same.
natty_dread wrote:Do ponies have sex?
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
(proud member of the Occasionally Wrongly Banned)
Captain john9blue

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:45 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:Player, you're never worth addressing because you can't hear beyond your echo chamber. inb4 "ur in a echo chamber." No, I'm not, so don't be stupid.

Yeah, like many here, you only want to argue when you are sure you can win. Page down to the last paragraph of my answer to NIghtstrike. There is the REAL answer.

Honestly, I think you provide some of the most thought-provoking responses for others, so I will address your strongest point against my position. And, I will sincerely and objectively and nicely deal with your contention.

Do we have a deal?
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:47 pm

DoomYoshi wrote:
Nobunaga wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:...The problem is that you (Nightstrike) think a business has the right to determine the worth of a human being based on the profit they wish to attain...

Jumping into the mix. Sorry, can't help myself.

Businesses don't attempt to determine the worth of human beings - they couldn't care less. They do determine the worth of a human being's labor, however, and they have every right to do so, gauging the value of their labor against what they will pay them.

Not true, businesses don't decide "I want this to be the value for labor". Rather, they use the labor that they can get cheapest.

Unfortunately, this leads to a zero-sum game for the workers, as workers consistently bid lower, until everybody is working for nothing. The businesses benefit, and workers suffer.

The underlined simply isn't true. Let's think about it. Do all businesses hire the cheapest employees? Does the price of cheap labor only drive them?

I'd disagree since there's other factors within labor which are pertinent to the final product, e.g. experience, decreased transactions costs (e.g. dealing with Chinese laborers and Chinese employers v. dealing with one's own laborers and employers of the same language), costs of assessing newcomers' capabilities, etc.

There's plenty more than hiring the cheapest. A company could hire someone for 20% more if they've got the experience....

The underlined simply isn't true when brought against the real world....

And... how is this zero-sum?

If each party is willing to trade X for Y, and both gain from it after the exchange, then it isn't zero-sum.

Zero-sum is when I get the government to take 20% of your income, which then goes to me because "we need jobs for Uhmerica." That's zero-sum. It's a forced exchanged...
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby BigBallinStalin on Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:52 pm

Nobunaga wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:...The problem is that you (Nightstrike) think a business has the right to determine the worth of a human being based on the profit they wish to attain...

Businesses don't attempt to determine the worth of human beings - they couldn't care less. They do determine the worth of a human being's labor, however, and they have every right to do so, gauging the value of their labor and paying them accordingly.

Right. That's the goal. IF it was costless, then everyone would know how much anyone could 'bring to the table'. There's nothing wrong with that. If we all lived in a commune, and all I could provide was toe cheese, then why would anyone expect others to pay more than they wanted to for my labor of producing toe cheese?

it would be nonsensical to do so.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby Lootifer on Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:08 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:
Nobunaga wrote:

Businesses don't attempt to determine the worth of human beings - they couldn't care less. They do determine the worth of a human being's labor, however, and they have every right to do so, gauging the value of their labor and paying them accordingly.

Right. That's the goal. IF it was costless, then everyone would know how much anyone could 'bring to the table'. There's nothing wrong with that. If we all lived in a commune, and all I could provide was toe cheese, then why would anyone expect others to pay more than they wanted to for my labor of producing toe cheese?

it would be nonsensical to do so.

Of course its nonsensical, but the underlined is the key point. If all you can do is something of little value; does that then mean that as a human you are of little value?

If all pete from down the road can do is flip burgers, but I can help design a functioning electricity system that keeps peoples lights on, then one of us produces lots of value and the other produces f*ck all. Now dont get me wrong, I am all for incentives to help pete flip burgers better, or maybe even work really hard to move himself up in the world; but at the end of the day he is never going to be able to add as much value as some other people (for a huge, 100's, number of reasons; genetics, upbringing, disposition, sub-culture, etc etc etc). Providing the right incentives is one thing, but valuing the human at the same value as their production capability is, to me, ethically wrong: The old adage of "A society is measured by how it treats its weakest members".
I go to the gym to justify my mockery of fat people.
Lieutenant Lootifer

Postby Nobunaga on Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:01 am

Lootifer wrote:...but valuing the human at the same value as their production capability is, to me, ethically wrong...

Sure, complete agreement. But again, a business cares nothing for the value of that human in terms of their "worth as people". Perhaps your burger flipper donates all his/her spare time to helping the elderly, or raising money to help abused children.... that's pretty valuable, as far as "human worth" is concerned. But has absolutely nothing to do with the objectives of the business - to sell as many burgers to as many customers as possible, making as large a margin as can be made while doing so.

And to address DoomYoshi, his point wold be valid if there were only one option available for job-seekers. There are however, many. And while Factory A is lowballing what it wants to pay its employees, Factory B, needing to find reliable workers, butts in to offer a dollar more per hour. ... Then along comes Factory C ....
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby Woodruff on Thu Aug 08, 2013 9:38 am

john9blue wrote:the (ideal) market works without bias and treats everyone the exact same.

So does (ideal) communism. That's the problem with both ideas...the ideal doesn't work because humans suck. Both are just neat philosophical ideas to talk about and perhaps strive for.
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.
Corporal 1st Class Woodruff

Postby john9blue on Thu Aug 08, 2013 1:07 pm

Woodruff wrote:
john9blue wrote:the (ideal) market works without bias and treats everyone the exact same.

So does (ideal) communism. That's the problem with both ideas...the ideal doesn't work because humans suck. Both are just neat philosophical ideas to talk about and perhaps strive for.

in ideal communism, someone has to decide how to distribute "to each according to his need". someone has to judge people.

ideal capitalism doesn't have this problem because each person's worth is determined by their own skills, which are judged by society as a whole.
Army of GOD wrote:the term heterosexual is offensive. I prefer to be called "normal"
Captain john9blue

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:36 pm

Nobunaga wrote:

No dice. A nice try at sidestepping, but when you hire someone, you very much DO decide their practical worth. You decide if they get to have enough money to eat or not. You decide if they can pay for medical care or not. You don't decide how important they are to their loved ones or even society, but you DO decide if they get to survive. Pretending that is not deciding someone's worth is just a try at escaping the reality.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:45 pm

john9blue wrote:
PLAYER57832 wrote:LOL

The problem is that you think a business has the right to determine the worth of a human being based on the profit they wish to attain. That is backwards. What is greedy is to demand that its OK to ask people to work at any job and that you don't have to worry about what it costs them to eat or get a house or anything else.. just what you think is a reasonable profit.

sounds like you're the one attempting to judge the worth of a human being by forcing a business owner to pay them more money than another person would agree to get paid for doing the same job.

At the BOTTOM, only. And yes, to a point, I am saying that if you have to hire someone, if you have a need that must be filled by a human being, than a very basic standard is that they get to have enough to eat, have a roof over their head, etc. This is the MINIMUM allowable value for basic work.

Exceptions can be made, but only carefully, for true trainees, disabled individuals who cannot do "real" work, etc. However, even then, careful limits must be set to prevent abuse.

No, it doesn't. It treats people commensurate with the import of their work, but with a base as outlined above.

AND, we certainly live in far from any ideal. Most people like to feel they got where they are through hard work, but independent analysis repeatedly show that is only a small part of the picture, and in many cases a very small part. That doesn't mean that people who have "good" jobs are not working hard, doing their jobs well, etc. Set aside the obvious exceptions that always occur-- this is not about a few idiots who are just somehow luck, or who are about to be ousted, this is about the bulk who do work hard, but who STILL fail to recognize how much pure luck played into their success.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:48 pm

john9blue wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

in ideal communism, someone has to decide how to distribute "to each according to his need". someone has to judge people.

ideal capitalism doesn't have this problem because each person's worth is determined by their own skills, which are judged by society as a whole.

Ideal capitalism has no problem at all with people starving and with a few people becoming essentially dictators. That is why we don't have ideal capitalism, and why capitalism is never an ideal, even among the most pro market aficionados.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Woodruff on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:07 pm

john9blue wrote:
Woodruff wrote:

I didn't say they had the SAME specific problems, only that both have very serious problems that the "ideal" simply doesn't work for because people suck.

Are you actually trying to imply that "ideal" capitalism has no flaws?
...I prefer a man who will burn the flag and then wrap himself in the Constitution to a man who will burn the Constitution and then wrap himself in the flag.

Postby PLAYER57832 on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:21 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:
Nobunaga wrote:

Businesses don't attempt to determine the worth of human beings - they couldn't care less. They do determine the worth of a human being's labor, however, and they have every right to do so, gauging the value of their labor against what they will pay them.

Not true, businesses don't decide "I want this to be the value for labor". Rather, they use the labor that they can get cheapest.

Unfortunately, this leads to a zero-sum game for the workers, as workers consistently bid lower, until everybody is working for nothing. The businesses benefit, and workers suffer.

The underlined simply isn't true. Let's think about it. Do all businesses hire the cheapest employees? Does the price of cheap labor only drive them?

You are talking individuals. The rest of us are talking the overall picture, the "average" or "mean". You are saying "but I know someone who rolled 100 6's in a row!..the dice must be fixed!" We are saying, "Overall, the dice balance out". BOTH can be true.

BigBallinStalin wrote:There's plenty more than hiring the cheapest. A company could hire someone for 20% more if they've got the experience....

All you are saying is that companies may pay more for people they consider to have more skill or to be otherwise more "worthy" in some way. (doing a job everyone hates, such as cleaning toilets, for example). That doesn't refute my assertion or the others at all.

BigBallinStalin wrote:If each party is willing to trade X for Y, and both gain from it after the exchange, then it isn't zero-sum.

Define "willing" and "exchange". By your theory, a slave who doesn't escape has "agreed" to stay and therefore is not a victim.

People will work to eat a little if that is all they can get, because eating even a little is better than not eating at all. Most employers won't sink that low, but look at the influx of illegal immigrants for how easily that get subverted. All it takes is a few employers who have no problem paying starvation wages or hiring workers who are illegal and therefore won't complain about bad conditions to drive the price of goods down to where, soon, everyone who wants to stay in business has to basically do the same thing.

THAT is the ultimate problem with your arguments (most of them). You want to allow companies to ignore very real and true costs under the theory that other things will just balance them out or somehow mitigate, take care of the problems. That doesn't happen. What does happen is that the system continues until it plain cannot go any longer. We keep using oil and water at high rates, without regard until we hit the point where we just cannot get any more at all. In a truly natural system, where the real costs were taken into account, all oil rigs in the Gulf of Mexico would have had to A. put in much, much better protections than they have B. Had to contribute to real immediate response teams that could quickly deal with any issue C. put up bonds upfront to truly pay for damage to people who live and depend on the Gulf..and not just for a month or two, but real and true costs in perpetuity. That won't happen. BECAUSE it won't happen, nobody really pays what oil costs. We pretend, but don't even really know how much our use of oil will actually cost our grandchildren, never mind our great-great-grandchildren. Because we don't pay the real and true cost, because oil is artificially kept so low, companies with alternatives-- alternative fuels, alternative materials productions, etc, etc. They have to show not just that they are better and cheaper than oil, but that they are cheaper than this artificial level of supported prices for oil.

The cost of hiring the lowest skilled workers is just one of the costs that must be truly met. I am willing to argue over a 40 hour work week, weekends, etc. Maybe those things ARE luxuries. (I don't think so, but I am willing to consider debate on it) However, to say that its OK for someone to work full-time and not earn enough to eat, have a house and meet basic expenses of the 21rst century is just plain wrong.

BigBallinStalin wrote:Zero-sum is when I get the government to take 20% of your income, which then goes to me because "we need jobs for Uhmerica." That's zero-sum. It's a forced exchanged...

Funny... no one is making that claim except you. The claim I am making is that having jobs that don't actually support people is pretense, not advantage. It drains our society, forces people to depend on government subsidies, which drives up the taxes everyone else needs to pay.

You cannot talk about what a reasonable tax rate is until first talking about where our taxes go. A LOT of what our taxes go toward is very necessary (roads, for example). Other things, though, really amount to back-handed supports or gifts to special interest groups, including big business. Some support for individuals who cannot work, are disabled, even those who just cannot find a job for a time. Some supports are always needed, but when someone works a fulltime job and needs taxpayer support to just live.. that is a broken system. That is a broken WAGE system, not a broken tax system.
Corporal PLAYER57832

Postby Woodruff on Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:54 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:
DoomYoshi wrote:Not true, businesses don't decide "I want this to be the value for labor". Rather, they use the labor that they can get cheapest.

You are talking individuals. The rest of us are talking the overall picture, the "average" or "mean". You are saying "but I know someone who rolled 100 6's in a row!..the dice must be fixed!" We are saying, "Overall, the dice balance out". BOTH can be true.

I think a better way to say it is that almost all businesses will hire the individual who can do the job the cheapest while still doing it to some minimum level of effectiveness based on what the business is willing to accept.

Postby john9blue on Thu Aug 08, 2013 6:28 pm

Woodruff wrote:Are you actually trying to imply that "ideal" capitalism has no flaws?

in an ideal world, sure. but you mentioned "ideal communism" so i thought i'd contrast the two.
Captain john9blue

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,