Conquer Club

Hari Sheldon, The Mule, and Global Warming

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Hari Sheldon, The Mule, and Global Warming

Postby BoganGod on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:22 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:Tzor:
(i) It's Seldon, not Sheldon. Sheldon is the guy on "Big Bang Theory".
(ii) Who is the Mule in your analogy? Mrs C? Cos she'd already be in charge if so...
(iii) A purely incidental point: Asimov was a toilet-head.

Toilet-head? For shame, look at Asimov's contemporaries please. L Ron Hubbard for example. I do find Asimov's rather pervy incest carry on to be just a bit creepy. His character Lazarus Long who shagged his great, great, great(forget how many greats) twin granddaughters.
Interesting to examine the parallels between new age religious narratives and the foundation series. Could it be that Asimov was a tool of the illuminati?

Tis obvious that Hilary is a lizard person, and Gore a reptilian overlord avatar.
Corporal BoganGod

Postby tzor on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:44 pm

BoganGod wrote:His character Lazarus Long who shagged his great, great, great(forget how many greats) twin granddaughters.

I'm pretty sure that "great, great, great(forget how many greats)" no longer counts as "incest."

Click image to enlarge.

Under Roman civil law, which early canon law of the Catholic Church followed, couples were forbidden to marry if they were within four degrees of consanguinity.

However, I believe you are mistaken. His ..... granddaughter was merely the womb mother of a genetically modified (so as to become female) clone of him.

He does get an Oedipus complex only without the self blinding after the fact. That's much more interesting.
Cadet tzor

Postby degaston on Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:36 pm

BoganGod wrote:I do find Asimov's rather pervy incest carry on to be just a bit creepy. His character Lazarus Long who shagged his great, great, great(forget how many greats) twin granddaughters.

I think you're thinking of Heinlein - a lot of weird sexual issues in his books. Sex in Asimov's stories was pretty tame. I recall a short story where aliens mentioned "Recreation Lad" magazine, and I think someone had sex with R. Daneel Olivaw.

Hubbard a contemporary of Asimov? I feel skeeved out just putting their names in the same sentence. Asimov was an educator, Hubbard was... not.
Brigadier degaston

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:01 pm

degaston wrote:
BoganGod wrote:I do find Asimov's rather pervy incest carry on to be just a bit creepy. His character Lazarus Long who shagged his great, great, great(forget how many greats) twin granddaughters.

I think you're thinking of Heinlein - a lot of weird sexual issues in his books. Sex in Asimov's stories was pretty tame. I recall a short story where aliens mentioned "Recreation Lad" magazine, and I think someone had sex with R. Daneel Olivaw.

Hubbard a contemporary of Asimov? I feel skeeved out just putting their names in the same sentence. Asimov was an educator, Hubbard was... not.

First, yes that was Heinlein. Second, the "twin granddaughters" weren't actually granddaughters, they were female clones of Lazarus Long.

Lazarus did shag his mother, though. In fact, he went back in time to do so.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby tzor on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:13 pm

By the way, if you want *CREEPY* try "Star Web" by Joan Cox. I read it many many years ago. (Like probably a year or two after it came out in 1980 while I was still in college.)

Here is the description from Good Reads

Jade was a Linker, one of that special breed of pilots who guide starships through the treacherous lanes of the Star Web via mind-control. It was a fitting profession for a carefree drifter. Jade had and wanted very few friends: Heglit, his mind-link partner, and Borget and Lista, the sensual, golden-skinned Benjos who could pleasure a man to death.
Cadet tzor

Postby DoomYoshi on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:25 pm

tzor wrote:
BoganGod wrote:His character Lazarus Long who shagged his great, great, great(forget how many greats) twin granddaughters.

I'm pretty sure that "great, great, great(forget how many greats)" no longer counts as "incest."

Click image to enlarge.

Under Roman civil law, which early canon law of the Catholic Church followed, couples were forbidden to marry if they were within four degrees of consanguinity.

However, I believe you are mistaken. His ..... granddaughter was merely the womb mother of a genetically modified (so as to become female) clone of him.

He does get an Oedipus complex only without the self blinding after the fact. That's much more interesting.

We define incest as increase in homozygosity of genes. It doesn't matter how many generations, there is some degree of incest. Eventually, it gets to the point where the value is "essentially" 0. (I mean that in the modern sense of the word essentially, which means that the value is extremely close; not in the real meaning of the word - which would imply that the value has an essential element which makes it equal to 0)
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:54 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:
degaston wrote:

First, yes that was Heinlein. Second, the "twin granddaughters" weren't actually granddaughters, they were female clones of Lazarus Long.

Lazarus did shag his mother, though. In fact, he went back in time to do so.

-TG

He did indeed, although that was not why he time-travelled... after many pages of moral scruples he decides that the chances of nasty inbreeding are small, which is how the society he lives in by that time reckons sexual morality.
instagram.com/garethjohnjoneswrites
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Postby clangfield on Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:28 pm

A circle has no end.
Lieutenant clangfield

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:58 pm

clangfield wrote:A circle has no end.

BEHOLD! CLANGFIELD SPEAKS THE TRUTH!

Everything inside and outside of the circle is inside the circle because "a circle has no end." Revel in its boundless quality!
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby BoganGod on Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:48 pm

degaston wrote:

One of my friends used to refer to three authors as HAH. Hubbard, Asimov, and Herbert. Read in that order to truly comprehend the hideous banality of Hubbard, the mediocrity of Asimov, and the genius/craft of Herbert. HAH what a joke that Hubbard made more money than the other two combined.
Corporal BoganGod

Postby Dukasaur on Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:21 pm

BoganGod wrote:
degaston wrote:

One of my friends used to refer to three authors as HAH. Hubbard, Asimov, and Herbert. Read in that order to truly comprehend the hideous banality of Hubbard, the mediocrity of Asimov, and the genius/craft of Herbert. HAH what a joke that Hubbard made more money than the other two combined.

What a joke! Frank Herbert, genius?

The only thing Herbert was a genius at was taking a 15-page short story and somehow adding enough inconsequential drivel to spin it out to a 200-page novel.

And no, I'm not speaking from ignorance. I have a complete collection of Frank Herbert's novels on my shelf behind me. I've read all of them once and most of them several times. As dull as they are, I somehow force myself to wade through them because I find some of the underlying thoughts interesting. But in my mind I'm always carrying a big red pen and Xing out huge swaths of completely redundant and pointless blather.

Without the slightest bit of hyperbole, I can honestly say that I could slash my way through any of Herbert's novels and come up with a really good short story of 15 pages or less.

Hubbard and Asimove may be a bit pedestrian, but at least they give you your money's worth. A 100-page book by Asimov actually has 100 pages of story. Hubbard I've read very little of, just Typewriter in the Sky and the much-maligned Battlefield Earth, both of which were good, honest adventure stories with very little fluff.

And yeah, as other people have already said, Lazarus Long didn't have anything to do with any of them, he was a Heinlein character. Heinlein did like to chip away at sexual taboos, didn't he?
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:02 pm

BigBallinStalin wrote: Revel in boundless quality!

BBS 2016! New campaign slogan.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby BigBallinStalin on Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:10 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote: Revel in boundless quality!

BBS 2016! New campaign slogan.

--Andy

AHHHH YEAH!
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby BoganGod on Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:01 pm

Dukasaur wrote:
BoganGod wrote:
degaston wrote:

What a joke! Frank Herbert, genius?

The only thing Herbert was a genius at was taking a 15-page short story and somehow adding enough inconsequential drivel to spin it out to a 200-page novel.

And no, I'm not speaking from ignorance. I have a complete collection of Frank Herbert's novels on my shelf behind me. I've read all of them once and most of them several times. As dull as they are, I somehow force myself to wade through them because I find some of the underlying thoughts interesting. But in my mind I'm always carrying a big red pen and Xing out huge swaths of completely redundant and pointless blather.

Without the slightest bit of hyperbole, I can honestly say that I could slash my way through any of Herbert's novels and come up with a really good short story of 15 pages or less.

Hubbard and Asimove may be a bit pedestrian, but at least they give you your money's worth. A 100-page book by Asimov actually has 100 pages of story. Hubbard I've read very little of, just Typewriter in the Sky and the much-maligned Battlefield Earth, both of which were good, honest adventure stories with very little fluff.

And yeah, as other people have already said, Lazarus Long didn't have anything to do with any of them, he was a Heinlein character. Heinlein did like to chip away at sexual taboos, didn't he?

Wash your mouth out dino tot. Good, honest adventure stories with very little fluff? It the miniature, the descriptive phrases, the background story, that flesh out a novel. With out those you just have a written by numbers, spin the plot wheel piece of monosyllabic shit. I fart in your general direction, your mother was a hamster and your father stunk of elderberries. Words you would have cut from The Holy Grail. The dino tot edit would be 5 minutes long, and about as interesting as watching a morbidly obese teenage canadian boy lip sync Celine Dion.
Hubbard gave you your money's worth, as for most of his early career he was paid by the word..... Cue lengthy, repetitive pages of inane dribble.
Corporal BoganGod

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:49 am

notyou2 wrote:I am not talking about global warming. That article seems to discuss global warming under the guise of climate change. I am talking about climate change. The storms I am experiencing used to be 1 in 100 years storms,now they are at 5 year frequencies or less. The weather HAS changed, and not for the better.

I think that's one hell of an assumption. You have absolutely no idea what storms were like 100 years ago. All you know is what you've been told, and now you are repeating it. And how many '5 year' cycles have you 'experienced'?? TWO???? THREE?????? You understand our recording of weather has grown leaps and bounds, yet you compare it to the way weather was recorded in 1914? And you don't seem to account for population growth geographically. A 1 in 100 year storm may have hit a populated area in 1914, while an area was also hit by a worse storm in 1916 and 1921 and 1938, it's just that nobody lived there to record it before paved roads and airplanes. Do you understand that vast deserts today used to be fertile rainforests? that oceans used to be land? Mountains used to be canyons? Yes, it's climate change, and it's been happening since the beginning of time, leave it to a human to think they can control the climate and weather should be predictable.

And btw, there are millions of people all over different regions in the world who would argue the weather as well as the climate is better.

CONTEXT!!!!!!!
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:07 am

notyou2 wrote:You will be recanting when Manhattan is under water Tzor.

:lol:

I asked a then global warming expert which I am sure just like you will now admit they were wrong a couple years ago but oh by gully now they are right! I asked what will be the first visible sign that humans can see with their own eyes that global warming was having the impact they said it would, he told me because the polar ice cap was going to melt that the first thing to go underwater in the world would be some islands in the Pacific and it would happen by 2050.

Not sure if Tzor or any of us will still be around in 2050 to 'recant' but on that timetable I'm guessing Manhattan would go sometime after 2050....except one thing, one fact which all you climate controllers had wrong, and it's one piece of evidence you cannot ignore, and it's one piece of evidence contrary to everything your beliefs used to be but you had to change the name while still maintaining the exact same beliefs....

what you based your opinion on a few years ago.....

what you hold the same opinion on now.....

I'd level with ya with some honesty about my opinions on this issue, but based on years of your belittling smear tactics and trying to get people with a different opinion banned, you'll have to earn that as I just recently began reading your posts again when you actually started to have something relevant to say.

But I will give you this.....we were not the one's saying that we knew what would happen, on the contrary most of us were not sure what would happen. You guys were the one's that swore up and down what was gonna happen for a fact and rushed to make all kinds of laws and grant the government all kinds of new powers and transform the world economy and smeared anyone who disagreed. I think that's when you guys started all the 'flat earther' stuff.

Moral of the story, learn from your past failed predictions before you go around guilting people with your new predictions. How does the crow taste?

Major Phatscotty

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:59 am

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby tzor on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:10 am

Dukasaur wrote:What a joke! Frank Herbert, genius?

Well "genius" is a term I never use frequently. Few people are (in the science fiction genre) and it would be hard to pin down a definitive method for determining that which most people would agree to. H.G. Wells is "genius" ... others are up for debate.

Herbert's world is interesting and his style (which isn't all that nice to read) fits the style he is painting. He has interesting background never fully expanded upon (leaving a lot to the imagination and a good source for nerds to debate for centuries) and a lot of themes based on the topics of the day warped in many odd ways. It makes for really boring movies. :twisted:
Cadet tzor

Postby tzor on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:24 am

Phatscotty wrote:Not sure if Tzor or any of us will still be around in 2050 to 'recant' but on that timetable I'm guessing Manhattan would go sometime after 2050....except one thing, one fact which all you climate controllers had wrong, and it's one piece of evidence you cannot ignore, and it's one piece of evidence contrary to everything your beliefs used to be but you had to change the name while still maintaining the exact same beliefs....

I know it will take a lot of humility for a 89 year old to admit mistakes (my age in 2050) but if it happens I'll be the first to admit it.

Personally, I'm more interested in Key West, Florida, that's much lower in height above sea level. The whole state of Florida is next.

Besides, the great Brooklyn Dam and Locks will give Manhattan another twenty years. :twisted:
Cadet tzor

Postby degaston on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:30 am

Phatscotty wrote:Image

Sure, things look like they're improving when you compare 2014 to the historic lows of 2012...
But this is simply an example of the "regression toward the mean" phenomenon, and not at all unexpected.

If you compare 2014 to 1979 (or any year in the 80's), things don't look so good.

Here's a nice little illustration of what the climate change deniers are doing:
Brigadier degaston

Postby BoganGod on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:46 am

tzor wrote:
Phatscotty wrote:Not sure if Tzor or any of us will still be around in 2050 to 'recant' but on that timetable I'm guessing Manhattan would go sometime after 2050....except one thing, one fact which all you climate controllers had wrong, and it's one piece of evidence you cannot ignore, and it's one piece of evidence contrary to everything your beliefs used to be but you had to change the name while still maintaining the exact same beliefs....

I know it will take a lot of humility for a 89 year old to admit mistakes (my age in 2050) but if it happens I'll be the first to admit it.

Personally, I'm more interested in Key West, Florida, that's much lower in height above sea level. The whole state of Florida is next.

Besides, the great Brooklyn Dam and Locks will give Manhattan another twenty years. :twisted:

There will be wars, and rumours of wars. For the last days, will seem like unto those that preceded them. The protectors will kill the innocent and those they are sworn to protect. For history repeats as we slowly shuffle towards obsolescence, oblivion or rapture. As belief wavers, misguided faith grows. All ye that trust in money, and put your faith in protection of governments. Ye shall reap pain for naivety, and servitude in place of your willingly relinquished freedoms. What fools are men, to think they think.
Corporal BoganGod

Postby BoganGod on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:47 am

Bugger forgot to write.

Amen.

May the trinity bless you, right after they solve their identity crisis.
Corporal BoganGod

Postby Dukasaur on Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:43 pm

degaston wrote:Here's a nice little illustration of what the climate change deniers are doing:

Kind of looks like the "Is CC Declining?" thread.

Wonder what that makes me? :oops:
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby tzor on Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:54 am

I find this fascinating. You are trying to determine trends from thirty something data points? With a climate system with cycles measured in centuries?

Here is a better chart using data before the satellite measurements in 1980.

Click image to enlarge.
Cadet tzor

Postby Dukasaur on Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:01 am

tzor wrote:I find this fascinating. You are trying to determine trends from thirty something data points? With a climate system with cycles measured in centuries?

Here is a better chart using data before the satellite measurements in 1980.

Click image to enlarge.

I think his thirty points were a quite a bit better than the TWO data points used in Phatscotty's post, which is what he was responding to.
;)

Your graph, however, does not disagree. A warming trend as far back as there are records, but a significant increase in the slope of the curve in the last 30 - 40 years.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,