Conquer Club

My next comic book based movie?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Worth a watch?

Total votes : 0

My next comic book based movie?

Postby Symmetry on Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:24 pm

I've taken a break from the genre for a year or so. I've missed a fair few. This is arguably not a bad thing. Above is a list of the ones I haven't seen. Which are worth a watch? Which can be skipped?

I might have missed some.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re: My next comic book based movie?

Postby Maxleod on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:00 am

The comic books movies movies usually suck; instead, watch Marvel's tv series like Daredevil or Luke Cage, they're great.
Lieutenant Maxleod

Location: DARDIS (Drunkness And Relative Dimensions In Sleep)

Postby Symmetry on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:08 am

Maxleod wrote:The comic books movies movies usually suck; instead, watch Marvel's tv series like Daredevil or Luke Cage, they're great.

I watched the first series of Daredevil. It was a bit hit and miss, but the hits outweighed the misses by far. Does series 2 stand up?

I was generally more into the DC series- Arrow and the Flash, but I have to get caught up on those too. Legends of Tomorrow? Supergirl?

Marvelvwise- Agents of Shield? And I think another series of Agent Carter passed me by.
Last edited by Symmetry on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Maxleod on Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:10 am

Symmetry wrote:
Maxleod wrote:The comic books movies movies usually suck; instead, watch Marvel's tv series like Daredevil or Luke Cage, they're great.

I watched the first series of Daredevil. It was a bit hit and miss, but the hits outweighed the misses by far. Does series 2 stand up?

Yes it does.
Lieutenant Maxleod

Postby saxitoxin on Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:37 am

Y Tu Mamá También
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby waauw on Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:51 am

Symmetry wrote:

Personally I found season one to be quite boring, season two was much better.

As for the movies listed above:
  • Deadpool: funny, worth a watch
  • batman vs superman: boring, movie too long and too little action
  • suicide squad: my favorite on this list
  • x-men apocalypse: good, not great
  • civil war: worst movie on this list, only watch this if you're less than 12yo
Lieutenant waauw

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:22 pm

Deadpool wasn't that great, it had a few funny parts (and too little of Baccarin). Overrated by fanboys because it got an R rating. Worth a redbox rental or whatever the limey equivalent is if you're bored.

I do kinda wanna see Dr Strange, haven't heard much about it, though. Bending Combover usually delivers.

Ant-Man was better than i expected. I was expecting crap, so it slid by to watchable. Lighter than most the others.

Did you watch Guardians of the Galaxy? I really enjoyed that one. A preview for the second came out, it looks similarly good. No pretensions there, good action/adventure/humor flick with great soundtrack. Plus Zoe Saldana, in green. Hot.

Not interested in suicide squad. BvS was utter crap. Civil War sucked, too.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby Symmetry on Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:19 am

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:Deadpool wasn't that great, it had a few funny parts (and too little of Baccarin). Overrated by fanboys because it got an R rating. Worth a redbox rental or whatever the limey equivalent is if you're bored.

I do kinda wanna see Dr Strange, haven't heard much about it, though. Bending Combover usually delivers.

Ant-Man was better than i expected. I was expecting crap, so it slid by to watchable. Lighter than most the others.

Did you watch Guardians of the Galaxy? I really enjoyed that one. A preview for the second came out, it looks similarly good. No pretensions there, good action/adventure/humor flick with great soundtrack. Plus Zoe Saldana, in green. Hot.

Not interested in suicide squad. BvS was utter crap. Civil War sucked, too.

-TG

Deadpool seems to be leading the way at this point, and on the plus side I do like the comics. On the down side, I watched Green Lantern again (I know, again) the other night and Ryan Reynolds was pretty awful. Not that he had much to work with, to be fair.

I did see GotG, and enjoyed it. Just saw a trailer for the sequel too. The first one was pretty fun.

I've heard good things about Ant-man Although, "better than I expected" seems to be the standard review.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Wed Dec 07, 2016 9:10 am

He has a funny quip about Green Lantern in Deadpool. I wouldn't compare Reynolds' acting between the two, in the Green Lantern they tried to be serious, in Deadpool he's allowed to be a clown.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby muy_thaiguy on Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:42 am

The DC TV shows actually just had a 4 night crossover last week that was actually pretty good. Supergirl (though, the actual crossover doesn't start until near the end, despite teases throughout the episode), Flash (where it really starts), Arrow (celebrates its 100th episode), and Legends of Tomorrow (how it all wraps up). It does help to have knowledge of what has happened thus far in the season for Flash, Arrow, and LoT. For Supergirl, if you've watched the crossover between Flash from last year between them, that's all you really need.

For Batman vs Superman, I recommend the ultimate edition, and not the cinematic release. While not the best DC film to come out, it's not the terrible film everyone makes it out to be (and Civil War has more in common with it than Marvel fanboys are comfortable admitting to). Also, Batfleck and Gal Gadot as Wonder Woman in that are surprisingly good. And Batman's fight scenes are awesome, and quite brutal.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:39 am

When I was a kid I loved Batman. When the first Batman movie came out, I went to see it with barely-contained enthusiasm. I was somewhat disappointed, but I was prepared to make allowances. When the second Batman movie came out and was even worse than the first, I started getting disgusted. After six terrible Batman movies, mutating the backstory worse and worse each time, I'm totally over Batman. Would have been kinder to leave me with my childhood illusions and never make a movie or let me find out about it.

When I was a kid I loved Spiderman. It only took 3 shitty Spiderman movies to make me forever turn my back on my one-time hero.

The third superhero that I really liked in my childhood was Green Lantern. Only took one shitty Green Lantern movie to ruin that one.

The only superhero movie that I liked was X-Men. I think that's probably because the X-men didn't take off until I was an adult. They had premiered earlier, but they were low-key enough to completely escape my notice when I was a kid. Thus, when I went to see X-Men, I was able to see it on its own merits without "testing" it against a prototype in my mind.

So, I guess the moral of the story is, stay away from superheroes you loved when you were a kid. They'll only let you down. These johnny-come-lately superheroes should be okay. I've heard a lot of good things about Deadpool.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Symmetry on Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:44 pm

Dukasaur wrote:When I was a kid I loved Batman. When the first Batman movie came out, I went to see it with barely-contained enthusiasm. I was somewhat disappointed, but I was prepared to make allowances. When the second Batman movie came out and was even worse than the first, I started getting disgusted. After six terrible Batman movies, mutating the backstory worse and worse each time, I'm totally over Batman. Would have been kinder to leave me with my childhood illusions and never make a movie or let me find out about it.

When I was a kid I loved Spiderman. It only took 3 shitty Spiderman movies to make me forever turn my back on my one-time hero.

The third superhero that I really liked in my childhood was Green Lantern. Only took one shitty Green Lantern movie to ruin that one.

The only superhero movie that I liked was X-Men. I think that's probably because the X-men didn't take off until I was an adult. They had premiered earlier, but they were low-key enough to completely escape my notice when I was a kid. Thus, when I went to see X-Men, I was able to see it on its own merits without "testing" it against a prototype in my mind.

So, I guess the moral of the story is, stay away from superheroes you loved when you were a kid. They'll only let you down. These johnny-come-lately superheroes should be okay. I've heard a lot of good things about Deadpool.

You need to watch the real first batman movie. With Adam West. It's hilarious.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby riskllama on Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:58 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:When I was a kid I loved Batman. When the first Batman movie came out, I went to see it with barely-contained enthusiasm. I was somewhat disappointed, but I was prepared to make allowances. When the second Batman movie came out and was even worse than the first, I started getting disgusted. After six terrible Batman movies, mutating the backstory worse and worse each time, I'm totally over Batman. Would have been kinder to leave me with my childhood illusions and never make a movie or let me find out about it.

no, you don't. only good comic book adaptations are the 1st sin city & the watchmen.
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Symmetry on Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:00 pm

riskllama wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

no, you don't. only good comic book adaptations are the 1st sin city & the watchmen.

Nah- the Adam West Batman was a decent take on the old Batman comics. Alan Moore pretty much disowned all of his adaptations. Much as I like Watchmen, it missed the point of the graphic novel pretty heavily. For a fairly faithful adaptation you need 300 and maybe Sin City. Both Frank Miller.

I've picked up Daredevil season 2 for the interim.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby muy_thaiguy on Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:30 pm

Symmetry wrote:

True. How many other Batman films can claim the Dark Knight punched a shark in the nose?

Ah, Silver Age. So much cheesiness. Then again, also had to deal with Superman pooping out the "Power of the Week" for it.
May as well have said that he had the power to have any power he wanted, because that's what it was.

Still, gotta love the old Adam West series. Just so cheesy. And my first exposure to Batman (followed by Batman the Animated Series, of course).
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby Symmetry on Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:03 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:
Symmetry wrote:

True. How many other Batman films can claim the Dark Knight punched a shark in the nose?

Ah, Silver Age. So much cheesiness. Then again, also had to deal with Superman pooping out the "Power of the Week" for it.
May as well have said that he had the power to have any power he wanted, because that's what it was.

Still, gotta love the old Adam West series. Just so cheesy. And my first exposure to Batman (followed by Batman the Animated Series, of course).

It's the bit where he works out that the villains are working together that gets me every time. A riddle and a joke, about birds- so that covers Riddler, Joker, and Penguin. And it happens at sea... C... For Catwoman.

That's the world's greatest detective at work.

That and the bit with the bomb.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Dukasaur on Sat Dec 17, 2016 1:09 pm

KAPOW!
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Symmetry on Sun Dec 18, 2016 1:37 am

Dukasaur wrote:KAPOW!

Which is still better than the stuff Batman used in the past:

"Papa spank!" was pretty common back in the day.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby muy_thaiguy on Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:49 am

"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby Maxleod on Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:38 pm

This year's Doctor Who Christmas Special will feature super-heroes and vilains.
Lieutenant Maxleod

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,