Conquer Club

Obama's mail room

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Obama's mail room

Postby Symmetry on Sun Jan 22, 2017 5:32 am

Kind of one of the reasons I love long form journalism, this is a great view of Obama's presidency from a little considered part of the Whitehouse- the mail room.

To Obama With Love, and Hate, and Desperation

Worth a read if you get some time.

On a recent October morning in the White House mailroom, on the ground floor of the Executive Office Building just beside a loading dock, 10 interns sat at two long tables, each trying to get through 300 letters. Grab a bundle, sit down and read. It was pretty straightforward: Read. A girl doesn’t want her mom to be deported, and can the president please help? A guy finally admits to his wife that he’s gay, and now he would like to tell the president. A car dealer writes to say his bank is shutting him down, and thanks for nothing, Mr. President. A vet who can’t stop seeing what he saw in Iraq writes a barely intelligible rant that makes his point all the more intelligible: “Help.” An inmate admits to selling crack to all those people but he wants the president to know he is not a lost cause: “I have dreams Mr. President, big dreams.” A man can’t find a job. A woman can’t find a job. A teacher with advanced certification can’t find a damn job. A lesbian couple just got married; thank you, Mr. President. A man sends his medical bills, a woman sends her student-loan statements, a child sends her drawing of a cat, a mother sends her teenager’s report card — straight A’s, isn’t that awesome, Mr. President?

This pile, that pile, another pile over there; pull from the middle if you want. The narrative was sloppy and urgent, America talking all at once. No filter. The handwriting, the ink, the choice of letterhead — every letter was a real object from a real person, and now you were holding it, and so now you were responsible for it.

Mr. Obama — My President,

In 2007 I was proud of my hands. They had veneered calluses where my palms touched my fingers. Cuts and scrapes were never severe. Splinters and blisters merely annoyed me. With a viselike grip and dexterous touch my hands were heat-tolerant and cold-ignorant. I was nimble when whittling or when sharpening an ax. I could exfoliate with an open palm when my wife’s back itched or my cat arched for a rub. My nails were usually stained after a chore; they were tougher, not cracked, seldom manicured. My hands defined my work, passions, my life.

After 23 years as a land surveyor and nearly 2 years unemployed, I miss my career and my old hands. I kneel nights and clutch new hands together, praying we all can recover what seems lost. May God guide your hands to mold our future.

Thank you for listening to the Citizen I am,
Bobby Ingram
Oxford, Miss.

At the beginning of his first term, President Obama said he wanted to read his mail. He said he would like to see 10 letters a day. After that, the 10LADs, as they came to be called, were put in a purple folder and added to the back of the briefing book he took with him to the residence on the second floor of the White House each night.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re: Obama's mail room

Postby KoolBak on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:29 am

Which was the great part? Just curious....that he wanted 10 letters a day or the sad pictures painted? Or just the info?

Not being da prick....just wanted more insight....interesting read.

How do you suppose they picked just 10? Were they....weighted.....to the happy?
"Gypsy told my fortune...she said that nothin showed...."

Neil Young....Like An Inca

AND:
riskllama wrote:Koolbak wins this thread.
Sergeant 1st Class KoolBak

Postby owenshooter on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:50 am

KoolBak wrote:Which was the great part?

the view from the mail room. he didn't say his reading 10 letters a day was great, he said it was a great view of the presidency from a part of the white house you wouldn't really ever consider. please tell me another white house mail story you have ever seen in any publication. if you like to read, fresh perspectives on old subjects is very interesting. i can honestly say i have not given much thought to ANY mailroom aside the one that ELF worked in and the one that Agent J had to get Agent K from...

read the story, it is interesting. it isn't an obama fluff piece. just a fresh look at a subject most people probably feel they know everything about. hell, the new president didn't realize he had to STAFF the white house. he thought it was like a hotel and the people were just there... anyway, thanks for the link, it was a nice read...-Jésus noir
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby saxitoxin on Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:46 pm

Obama is a former U.S. president from the past IIRC. Anyone remember what his wife's name was? If was like Raquele or Michelle or something.

Hey, speaking of old stuff from the past, anyone remember Battlestar Galactica? Used to love that show! What other weird retro stuff do people remember?
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby 2dimes on Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:09 pm

Being too poor to go to the movies to see Star Wars a new hope, I loved it too Saxi. Back on track I still love David Letterman.
Corporal 2dimes

Re:

Postby saxitoxin on Sun Jan 22, 2017 6:30 pm

2dimes wrote:Being too poor to go to the movies to see Star Wars a new hope, I loved it too Saxi. Back on track I still love David Letterman.

not that old 2dimes, I mean the one from the late 2000s
Corporal saxitoxin

Postby 2dimes on Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:18 pm

Hi I'm here to ruin the joke. I just noticed the first sentence. Oh well, I used to be afraid of Mexican food...
Corporal 2dimes

Postby riskllama on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:36 pm

2dimes wrote:Hi I'm here to ruin the joke. I just noticed the first sentence. Oh well, I used to be afraid of Mexican food...

don't you fucking dare...
Lieutenant riskllama

Postby Symmetry on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:30 am

Meh- I just thought it was a particularly good piece of journalism. It's not often that you get to see that kind of insider view. It's not a piece of hagiography- far from it. The idea of how a president can deal with so many letters fascinated me, and the article is pretty in-depth on the process.

It's worth a read anyway.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,