Conquer Club

U.S. History

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: U.S. History

Postby Bigfalcon65 on Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:12 pm

ritz627 wrote:
Bigfalcon65 wrote:
ritz627 wrote:
dyingfetus wrote:
Bigfalcon65 wrote:i just passed my regents with a 96 and i didnt finish my DBQ, in other words the rest of my test was perfect f*ck yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, Dave, but are you advanced placement!

DIDN'T THINK SO!

I am AP USH, oh yea.

I must say though that Britian and France have much more history, for the mere fact that they have lasted longer. Although within our 200 and some odd years we've been around, we have been pretty busy, except in the 1870's to the 1880's...those were kind of boring times with the exception of the 2nd industrial revolution. Man, my AP test was back in April...how do I remember all of this?

And not to be an American patronizer or anything, but if GB and US had a war right now...we would win, we spend just too much money on military amoung other things. But that would never happen because we are allies.

this is also very true, however hypothetical? What if the world does run out of petroleum? Would this in fact start a conflict amoung super powers? Is that the reason why we're fighting right now? please i would like to hear your feed back

No, because I am hopeful that the world is smart enough to switch to an alternative fuels. A war between super powers to me would make little sense. If anything, people would be invading the oil rich nations in an attempt to recover some sort of fuel. Although, we would have much warning before we ran out. It would not be a sudden thing.

This being said, some nations will have a very tough time switching fuels, especially with the case of America. Amerca consumes 20.5 million barrels a day, more than half of that being from imports, but that being said, America is also 3rd in oil production in the world (under Saudi Arabia and Russia), very little of which is being exported. Simply said, we use a lot of oil. It would have to be a slow transition (which is why we need to start now), that oil companies would not comply with. And since oil companies have the power to control car companies and such, it would be a very difficult, but possible transition. I don't see any wars being started over oil in the future. The war in Iraq had a good amount to do with oil, but not everything. This was, of course, as a result of numerous top officials being involved in the oil business, not because of the loss of oil. If anything, we have gained oil consumption in the 7 or so years.

very true, however many scientists are speculating another little ice age in the next 50 years or so, is that enough time for transistion?
Former AP clan member
Former freedom fighter
Now a communist

Lieutenant Bigfalcon65

Postby Minister Masket on Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:22 pm

Jenos Ridan wrote:
Minister Masket wrote:
Jenos Ridan wrote:
Minister Masket wrote:America has 200 years of history.
England has well over 1000.
Compared to us, you don't have history.

Oh and for those who said America beat us in the War of Independence, you only won because of the FRENCH. And another European nation I think, might be Spain.
And we won the War of 1812, when you tried to take over Canada for no reason. Bullies!

Anyway, you wouldn't fight us nowadays, you're too in love with our accents and castles.

Read your history, ever hear of Nathaniel Greene? How about the Battle of Saratoga? Ticonderoga? How about the fact that your redcoats fought in ridged lines against gurellias 9 times out of ten (or that they all but wore targets painted on their crests)? Or any number of other facts that show we were winning the war LONG before the French showed up to help.

The War of 1812 was started by you brits when we started siezing our ships and enslaving their crews into your navy. No reason my arse.

And truth betold, I find the mountains here more beautiful. REAL mountains, not those puny hills you guys have.

Don't ask me why they wore red, I agree that t'was a silly colour to wear in battle. I guess it hides the blood....
Actually I do study history, so don't back-sass me with your idiotic statements. And as such I know that you would not have won without your Frenchy friends.
And did I mention hills in any way? I don't think I did....
I said "accents and castles". Please learn to read before totally eembarrasing yourself... :roll:

You know nothing if you think we weren't winning before the Battle of Yorktown. And the fact remains, they were fighting against gurellias in rough terrian. No wonder they lost.

And I'll admit, my last sentince was alittle out of context, but the point was I'm not in love with brittan's ancient stone piles and silly accents.

I never said you weren't winning. I said you would not have won. There is a difference. Remember, we were still the major power in the sea with the Royal Navy. That is where the French really fought us.
Now why does that sentence in underline remind me of Vietnam?

Try to spell "Britain" right next time too. Oh and the majority of Americans love British castles and accents.
Victrix Fortuna Sapientia

Private Minister Masket

Re: U.S. History

Postby ritz627 on Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:11 pm

Bigfalcon65 wrote:
ritz627 wrote:
Bigfalcon65 wrote:
ritz627 wrote:
dyingfetus wrote:
Bigfalcon65 wrote:i just passed my regents with a 96 and i didnt finish my DBQ, in other words the rest of my test was perfect f*ck yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, Dave, but are you advanced placement!

DIDN'T THINK SO!

I am AP USH, oh yea.

I must say though that Britian and France have much more history, for the mere fact that they have lasted longer. Although within our 200 and some odd years we've been around, we have been pretty busy, except in the 1870's to the 1880's...those were kind of boring times with the exception of the 2nd industrial revolution. Man, my AP test was back in April...how do I remember all of this?

And not to be an American patronizer or anything, but if GB and US had a war right now...we would win, we spend just too much money on military amoung other things. But that would never happen because we are allies.

this is also very true, however hypothetical? What if the world does run out of petroleum? Would this in fact start a conflict amoung super powers? Is that the reason why we're fighting right now? please i would like to hear your feed back

No, because I am hopeful that the world is smart enough to switch to an alternative fuels. A war between super powers to me would make little sense. If anything, people would be invading the oil rich nations in an attempt to recover some sort of fuel. Although, we would have much warning before we ran out. It would not be a sudden thing.

This being said, some nations will have a very tough time switching fuels, especially with the case of America. Amerca consumes 20.5 million barrels a day, more than half of that being from imports, but that being said, America is also 3rd in oil production in the world (under Saudi Arabia and Russia), very little of which is being exported. Simply said, we use a lot of oil. It would have to be a slow transition (which is why we need to start now), that oil companies would not comply with. And since oil companies have the power to control car companies and such, it would be a very difficult, but possible transition. I don't see any wars being started over oil in the future. The war in Iraq had a good amount to do with oil, but not everything. This was, of course, as a result of numerous top officials being involved in the oil business, not because of the loss of oil. If anything, we have gained oil consumption in the 7 or so years.

very true, however many scientists are speculating another little ice age in the next 50 years or so, is that enough time for transistion?

You will have to ask the oil executives.
Private 1st Class ritz627

Postby OnlyAmbrose on Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:30 pm

Are regents anything like AP tests? AP scores come in next week I think...
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
Corporal 1st Class OnlyAmbrose

Postby ritz627 on Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:04 pm

OnlyAmbrose wrote:Are regents anything like AP tests? AP scores come in next week I think...

...Yea...not exactly counting the day, nor am I looking foward to it. As for your question, I have no idea, but it seems that both have DBQ's.
Private 1st Class ritz627

Postby Bigfalcon65 on Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:52 pm

OnlyAmbrose wrote:Are regents anything like AP tests? AP scores come in next week I think...

kind of yes and kind of no, in new york students must pass the regents or a state given exam, there is an ap regents
Former AP clan member
Former freedom fighter
Now a communist

Lieutenant Bigfalcon65

Postby Jenos Ridan on Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:18 am

Minister Masket wrote:I never said you weren't winning. I said you would not have won. There is a difference. Remember, we were still the major power in the sea with the Royal Navy. That is where the French really fought us.

Try to spell "Britain" right next time too. Oh and the majority of Americans love British castles and accents.

Ok, how exactly would we have lost? I think you're just making excuses for losing that old war. Is that what they taught you in grade school? And about your vaulted Royal Navy, the Bonhomme Richard, in the naval equivelent to gurellia warfare, had you all in a bind. A single puny Sloop-of-war effecivally blockaded the whole of Britain. Sad, really. Even worse, you failed to stop the traffic we'd sent to France (yes, we did enlist the aid of other European nations. Hastened the end, really) and back at all. Where was your Navy then? Hunting down pirates around Singapore and Hong Kong? In dry dock? Cause they sure as hell weren't doing their job very well.
Vietnam.....
Well, the generals of the NVA and Viet Cong always thought they were repeating George Washington. The fact is, they were only copt-catting Mao.

I like the Teutonic Castles better personally. And German accents. 'Though, I must give props to Ian Fleming for the James Bond series. And give credit to you guys for Doctor Who. I don't hate Britain, just dislike you alittle when you moan and groan about how great you used to be.
"There is only one road to peace, and that is to conquer"-Hunter Clark

"Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life"- Something Hunter would say
Private Jenos Ridan

Postby Minister Masket on Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:54 am

Jenos Ridan wrote:
Minister Masket wrote:I never said you weren't winning. I said you would not have won. There is a difference. Remember, we were still the major power in the sea with the Royal Navy. That is where the French really fought us.

Ok, how exactly would we have lost? I think you're just making excuses for losing that old war. Is that what they taught you in grade school? And about your vaulted Royal Navy, the Bonhomme Richard, in the naval equivelent to gurellia warfare, had you all in a bind. A single puny Sloop-of-war effecivally blockaded the whole of Britain. Sad, really. Even worse, you failed to stop the traffic we'd sent to France (yes, we did enlist the aid of other European nations. Hastened the end, really) and back at all. Where was your Navy then? Hunting down pirates around Singapore and Hong Kong? In dry dock? Cause they sure as hell weren't doing their job very well.
Vietnam.....
Well, the generals of the NVA and Viet Cong always thought they were repeating George Washington. The fact is, they were only copt-catting Mao.

I like the Teutonic Castles better personally. And German accents. 'Though, I must give props to Ian Fleming for the James Bond series. And give credit to you guys for Doctor Who. I don't hate Britain, just dislike you alittle when you moan and groan about how great you used to be.

He likes Dr Who! :D
End of argument.
Victrix Fortuna Sapientia

Private Minister Masket

Postby MeDeFe on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:13 am

Wasn't he called "Dr. No"?
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby Skittles! on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:14 am

Dr. Who is quite a good show. The first episode of the new season was on last night, and I watched it. HA! American's can't create great sci-fi shows like the British, nor is there comedy better, nor is their history.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby spurgistan on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:56 am

Skittles! wrote:Dr. Who is quite a good show. The first episode of the new season was on last night, and I watched it. HA! American's can't create great sci-fi shows like the British, nor is there comedy better, nor is their history.

Says the Aussie.
Furthermore, i beg to differ that Americans can't create decent sci-fi. Dr. Who is awesome, regardless, but Star Trek? Star Wars? Are you kidding? I don't even like science fiction, but just those two have done more for the genre than anything else in the last 30 years.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby Skittles! on Fri Jun 29, 2007 7:59 am

spurgistan wrote:
Skittles! wrote:Dr. Who is quite a good show. The first episode of the new season was on last night, and I watched it. HA! American's can't create great sci-fi shows like the British, nor is there comedy better, nor is their history.

Says the Aussie.
Furthermore, i beg to differ that Americans can't create decent sci-fi. Dr. Who is awesome, regardless, but Star Trek? Star Wars? Are you kidding? I don't even like science fiction, but just those two have done more for the genre than anything else in the last 30 years.

Meh, I never said that Australia had a History.

And possibly, but Dr. Who is also an on going series, and how long has that gone on? What about HitchHikers Guide To The Galaxy? And there's plenty of other Sci-fi books/movies from Britain.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby Nobunaga on Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:05 am

... Why did the Brits wear red? ... I seem to recall my history teacher in High School (many, many years ago) saying that the Brits still fought in the customary and traditional European style. They marched in close order, and fought their enemies in ranks. If I remember, the colonists (soon 2B Americans) also fought that way a great deal of the time. What color you wore made little difference.... might as well look good, I guess.

... Now, walking through a forest, about to get ambushed by some colonists hiding behind rocks or trees . . . yeah, those red uniforms no doubt made for easy targets.

... I also remember he (my History teacher, Mr. Burns I think was his name) mentioned that guerrilla warfare was a relatively unknown type of fighting in the 1700's, in the West anyway, and was something the colonists picked up from the natives.

... And yes, Dr. Who is fantastic! Liked Rose much better than this new girl, though.

Last edited by Nobunaga on Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:07 am, edited 3 times in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby Anarchy Ninja on Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:05 am

Plus Monty Python!
Sergeant 1st Class Anarchy Ninja

Postby spurgistan on Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:07 am

Skittles! wrote:
spurgistan wrote:

Says the Aussie.

Meh, I never said that Australia had a History.

And possibly, but Dr. Who is also an on going series, and how long has that gone on? What about HitchHikers Guide To The Galaxy? And there's plenty of other Sci-fi books/movies from Britain.

Douglas Adams is amazing. Must say I love the British sense of humor, but to say we "Mericuns don't have our own culture is downright misleading. We definitely own their ass as far as standup comedy goes, if they have established dominance in the sketch comedy scene.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby Skittles! on Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:11 am

I never said you didn't have your own culture, nor did I imply it.

Stand up comedy, yes you have that, but with the TV comedy, and book comedy, like Black Books, Monty Python, Hitchhikers, others, Britain just takes the cake.
Private Skittles!

Postby spurgistan on Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:12 am

Well, you just called us "fucking idiots" in another thread, and implied the same here, so sorry if I got a bit argumentative.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby spurgistan on Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:16 am

Also, my avvy is an incredibly funny American writer, if a bit less blatantly so than Adams. Really defined an era for me.
Sergeant spurgistan

Postby Dmunster on Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:21 am

Minister Masket wrote:America has 200 years of history.
England has well over 1000.
Compared to us, you don't have history.

Oh and for those who said America beat us in the War of Independence, you only won because of the FRENCH. And another European nation I think, might be Spain.
And we won the War of 1812, when you tried to take over Canada for no reason. Bullies!

Anyway, you wouldn't fight us nowadays, you're too in love with our accents and castles.

I think the Native Americans might dissagree.
Corporal Dmunster

Postby AlgyTaylor on Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:00 am

Nobunaga wrote:... Why did the Brits wear red? ... I seem to recall my history teacher in High School (many, many years ago) saying that the Brits still fought in the customary and traditional European style. They marched in close order, and fought their enemies in ranks. If I remember, the colonists (soon 2B Americans) also fought that way a great deal of the time. What color you wore made little difference.... might as well look good, I guess.

Myth has it that it's to hide the blood stains, although the reality is that it was because red dye was cheap at the time.

However, they've not been used (as standard issue anyway) for near 100 years. Only in ceremonial occasions really.
Corporal AlgyTaylor

Postby AlgyTaylor on Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:02 am

spurgistan wrote:Douglas Adams is amazing. Must say I love the British sense of humor, but to say we "Mericuns don't have our own culture is downright misleading. We definitely own their ass as far as standup comedy goes, if they have established dominance in the sketch comedy scene.

US Comedy - Bill Hicks - say no more! :D
Although to be honest I'm sure he was just a Brit who was unlucky enough to be born in the USA ;) :P

Generally I have to say that US comedy, to me, isn't generally that funny. But when it is (eg Hicks, Simpsons, South Park) - it's hilarious. :)
Corporal AlgyTaylor

Postby Jenos Ridan on Sat Jun 30, 2007 6:12 am

Minister Masket wrote:He likes Dr Who! :D
End of argument.

Hardly. I'm saying that I don't see the UK as a bunch of pompous troglodytes and that you should see us as such either. 'Though, I'll own up, we americans do some pretty dumb stuff alot. That is no reason to see us as your backwards children. Rebellious, yes. Stupid, heck no.
"There is only one road to peace, and that is to conquer"-Hunter Clark

"Give a man a fire and he will be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life"- Something Hunter would say
Private Jenos Ridan

Postby Nobunaga on Sat Jun 30, 2007 8:22 am

Jenos Ridan wrote:Hardly. I'm saying that I don't see the UK as a bunch of pompous troglodytes and that you should see us as such either. 'Though, I'll own up, we americans do some pretty dumb stuff alot. That is no reason to see us as your backwards children. Rebellious, yes. Stupid, heck no.

... You know, Jenos, I've met a lot of Brits who get defensive, even rather aggressive when arguing with Americans. I have some theories on that whole thing... let me bounce them off you.

... The Brits ruled the world, more or less, not so long ago. You know that old expression, "The sun never sets on the British Empire"... and now, though a major pillar in the West, they are but a shadow of their former selves. Now, that alone is not the reason...

... Who has the power in the world now? Well, the United States has it in spades, and the British Prime Minister has long been the "lap dog" of the US President (not my opinion... but what I've heard a million times from Brits). .... OK, that's two pieces of the thing, now for the last ...

... The education system in the UK is, from what I understand, a great deal more intensive than what the average American goes through while growing up. These Brits (or at least those I know) have fabulous vocabularies and know more about most everything that comes up in conversation. An American public education is a pitiful thing by comparison.

... so... The Brits see the United States, full of uneducated, uninformed masses having the greatest amount of power in the entire world . . . I believe that sticks in their craw a bit. I've never met a one who hated Americans, yet many have been quick to point out our faults, at the slightest opportunity to do so.

... It's a pet theory of mine - that's all it is, and should be ignored or laughed at freely.

Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby Guiscard on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:44 am

Nobunaga wrote:
Jenos Ridan wrote:Hardly. I'm saying that I don't see the UK as a bunch of pompous troglodytes and that you should see us as such either. 'Though, I'll own up, we americans do some pretty dumb stuff alot. That is no reason to see us as your backwards children. Rebellious, yes. Stupid, heck no.

... You know, Jenos, I've met a lot of Brits who get defensive, even rather aggressive when arguing with Americans. I have some theories on that whole thing... let me bounce them off you.

... The Brits ruled the world, more or less, not so long ago. You know that old expression, "The sun never sets on the British Empire"... and now, though a major pillar in the West, they are but a shadow of their former selves. Now, that alone is not the reason...

... Who has the power in the world now? Well, the United States has it in spades, and the British Prime Minister has long been the "lap dog" of the US President (not my opinion... but what I've heard a million times from Brits). .... OK, that's two pieces of the thing, now for the last ...

... The education system in the UK is, from what I understand, a great deal more intensive than what the average American goes through while growing up. These Brits (or at least those I know) have fabulous vocabularies and know more about most everything that comes up in conversation. An American public education is a pitiful thing by comparison.

... so... The Brits see the United States, full of uneducated, uninformed masses having the greatest amount of power in the entire world . . . I believe that sticks in their craw a bit. I've never met a one who hated Americans, yet many have been quick to point out our faults, at the slightest opportunity to do so.

... It's a pet theory of mine - that's all it is, and should be ignored or laughed at freely.

Believe me, its not jealousy. Many of us are not proud of our Imperial past. Its not someone who once wielded power becoming jeaous of the new master, its an ex-drug addict becoming frustrated when they see their son going down the same route, but with harder more damaging drugs...
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby Gold Knight on Sat Jun 30, 2007 10:48 am

Guiscard wrote:
Nobunaga wrote:

Believe me, its not jealousy. Many of us are not proud of our Imperial past. Its not someone who once wielded power becoming jeaous of the new master, its an ex-drug addict becoming frustrated when they see their son going down the same route, but with harder more damaging drugs...

And yes, us Americans now do some pretty powerful drugs :lol:

But seriously, there should not have to be the tension between American and British characteristics. We are both on the same side, and we should work that the power we both wield is not lost. Technically, Britain is just as powerful as we are as long as we work together.
xxtig12683xx wrote:yea, my fav part was being in the sewer riding a surfboard and wacking these alien creatures.

shit was badass
Captain Gold Knight

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,