Conquer Club

Was Thomas Jefferson a rapist?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Was Jefferson a rapist?

Yes
27%
Mostly yes
9%
Not sure
18%
Mostly no
9%
No
36%
Kittens are cute
No votes

Total votes : 11

Was Thomas Jefferson a rapist?

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:22 pm

Thomas Jefferson is a pretty controversial figure- obviously he's well liked and respected, but he was also a slave owner who raped a 14 year old girl and kept her as his property. What do you think?

Students and other University of Virginia community members shrouded a statue of Thomas Jefferson in black Tuesday night during a rally criticizing the university’s response to recent white nationalist demonstrations that unfolded on and near the campus.

About 100 people gathered for the protest Tuesday night, according to the Daily Progress. They covered the statue of the university’s founder, and signs reading “racist” and “rapist” were placed on it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2017/09/13/thomas-jefferson-statue-at-u-va-shrouded-in-black
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Re: Was Thomas Jefferson a rapist?

Postby mrswdk on Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:23 pm

lol
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:31 pm

mrswdk wrote:lol

Not really a "lol" thing- it's kind of the point. A lot of people genuinely believe that he was a rapist. I do, personally. A lot of other people think that he wasn't.
the world is in greater peril from those who tolerate or encourage evil than from those who actually commit it- Albert Einstein
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:41 pm

What's worse than necrobumping? Re-hashing an old thread that was already beaten to death the first time around.
“‎Life is a shipwreck, but we must not forget to sing in the lifeboats.”
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:55 pm

Dukasaur wrote:What's worse than necrobumping? Re-hashing an old thread that was already beaten to death the first time around.

What utter BS, Duk. If you don't like the topic and want to dodge, just say so.

Thomas Jefferson being a rapist or not doesn't go away as a topic whenever CC purges its servers.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:03 pm

Apparently neither does our need to be regaled with another diatribe on the subject.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Thorthoth on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:11 pm

ALL moral claims are subjective and self-serving, even ones that aren't materially self-serving.

..but judging anybody under legal/moral/ethical standards from another time/place/culture is just manipulative BS 101.
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:13 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Apparently neither does our need to be regaled with another diatribe on the subject.

Meh- sorry, apparently some people find it important, me included. Others find it inconvenient, I guess.

I'm no king, nor am I posting in any mod regalia, but I do have an opinion and I'll post it.

I've tried to keep the poll neutral, so that people can make their own choice.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:22 pm

Oh, absolutely. Feel free to post your opinion, that's what the forum is here for. I was just expressing my opinion, too.

Sadly, there's no button we can use to indicate when we're being mods and when we're being just ordinary inmates. Rest assured that my opinion wasn't anything official.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:36 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Oh, absolutely. Feel free to post your opinion, that's what the forum is here for. I was just expressing my opinion, too.

Sadly, there's no button we can use to indicate when we're being mods and when we're being just ordinary inmates. Rest assured that my opinion wasn't anything official.

That's fine- you kind of sounded like you thought that this shouldn't be discussed because it was in a thread that was deleted.

Obviously this is still something that's relevant though. It'd not as if these discussions have some kind of time limit, right?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Dukasaur on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:44 pm

Symmetry wrote:
Dukasaur wrote:Oh, absolutely. Feel free to post your opinion, that's what the forum is here for. I was just expressing my opinion, too.

That's fine- you kind of sounded like you thought that this shouldn't be discussed because it was in a thread that was deleted.

Obviously this is still something that's relevant though. It'd not as if these discussions have some kind of time limit, right?

Well, it's obviously relevant to you. I'm not sure it was ever relevant to anyone else.
― Voltaire
Lieutenant Dukasaur
Community Coordinator
Community Coordinator

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:45 pm

Symmetry wrote:
mrswdk wrote:lol

Not really a "lol" thing- it's kind of the point. A lot of people genuinely believe that he was a rapist. I do, personally. A lot of other people think that he wasn't.

Now if only those people were more concerned with the abductions, slavery, and forced "marriage" of girls in wide swathes of the middle east, instead of criticizing the actions of someone 250 years ago. If they're going to impose their morals on someone, maybe they should do so in a manner that actually benefits someone, no?

Oh, wait, it's blm, so they don't actually give a shit, they're just racist against white people. Nvm.

-TG
Sergeant 1st Class TA1LGUNN3R

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:00 pm

Dukasaur wrote:Well, it's obviously relevant to you. I'm not sure it was ever relevant to anyone else.

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:Now if only those people were more concerned with the abductions, slavery, and forced "marriage" of girls in wide swathes of the middle east, instead of criticizing the actions of someone 250 years ago. If they're going to impose their morals on someone, maybe they should do so in a manner that actually benefits someone, no?

Oh, wait, it's blm, so they don't actually give a shit, they're just racist against white people. Nvm.

-TG

I don't agree that opposing slavery needs to be specified to a certain time. If you can find it to be wrong, you can take issue with it now, in the past and in the future.

Duk, obviously the point is relevant beyond your goodself.

TG- maybe you should consider the idea that Black Lives Matter.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:05 pm

Great rebuttal. I'm now convinced they aren't racists.

-TG

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:11 pm

TA1LGUNN3R wrote:Great rebuttal. I'm now convinced they aren't racists.

-TG

I'm still kind of confused about how you think BLM relates to the OP, to be fair.

I guess it would be clearer if you stated whether you thought Thomas Jefferson was a rapist or not.
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby TA1LGUNN3R on Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:17 pm

The protest in op was led by blm members. The person with the "TJ is a racist and rapist" sign is black and presumably of blm.

-TG

Postby Symmetry on Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:38 pm

Do you think that if someone advocates for Black Lives Matter now, that invalidates Jefferson being a rapist?
Sergeant Symmetry

Postby Thorthoth on Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:30 pm

No, not in any objective sense. laws and 'morals' only apply within a defined time/space/government/culture, and even then are always open for debate, despite censorship and 'censureship'.

Even in our current age, the morality of slavery, age of consent and definition of rape, vary widely and subjectively.

All definitions of right and wrong are subjective.

Anyone who claims otherwise on any religious*/metaphysical/philosophical grounds is being unscientific and non-objective, either intentionally (liars) or naively (misled/stupid/confused).

*modern western Humanism is basically a religion, in that it is maintained on subjective and unproveable tenets.

Why don't you instead talk about the inconsistency/hypocrisy of a group of people both criticizing/name-calling others while simultaneously outlawing criticism/name-calling of themselves.

btw, that word I coined, 'censureship' is pure gold. You heard it HERE FIRST!
THORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTHORTHOTH
Click image to enlarge.
Corporal Thorthoth

Postby betiko on Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:54 am

This is a rip off from another thread from a few years ago.
Major betiko

Postby saxitoxin on Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:08 am

Corporal saxitoxin

Postby DoomYoshi on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:07 am

Symmetry wrote:Thomas Jefferson is a pretty controversial figure- obviously he's well liked and respected, but he was also a slave owner who raped a 14 year old girl and kept her as his property. What do you think?

Students and other University of Virginia community members shrouded a statue of Thomas Jefferson in black Tuesday night during a rally criticizing the university’s response to recent white nationalist demonstrations that unfolded on and near the campus.

About 100 people gathered for the protest Tuesday night, according to the Daily Progress. They covered the statue of the university’s founder, and signs reading “racist” and “rapist” were placed on it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/grade-point/wp/2017/09/13/thomas-jefferson-statue-at-u-va-shrouded-in-black

I'm pretty sure it's not rape if you legally own the 14-year old girl in question.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partus_sequitur_ventrem
░▒▒▓▓▓▒▒░
Captain DoomYoshi

Postby mrswdk on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:22 am

DY makes a good point.
Lieutenant mrswdk

Postby saxitoxin on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:36 am

The Great White Father loves all of his children.

Corporal saxitoxin

Postby Bernie Sanders on Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:33 am

The laws at the time, allows you to rape your possessions.

.....so, now it's illegal. Not all laws, rules and regulations are good for the welfare of the poor
Sergeant 1st Class Bernie Sanders

Postby Symmetry on Sat Sep 16, 2017 5:52 pm

I guess a few people have brought up the same point- that what Jefferson did was not a crime in his era. It's a fair point to a certain extent. It falls down when people say that it wasn't rape (DY/MR).

It's not as if he's on trial here. This isn't Russia where you can prosecute dead people, after all.
Sergeant Symmetry

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,