Conquer Club

Space Stuff

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Space Stuff

Postby Coleman on Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:45 am

Allow me to explain myself. Several cartographers including myself have been working on a space map together in the Map Ideas forum of the map foundry. Due to some conflict between our methods and how the moderator of that section felt we should be doing things our work has been disrupted and can no longer continue in that section of the Conquer Club forums. It is my hope that we could work here in the off topic forum. If the moderators here would be willing to allow it and leave us be.

For all you off topic people; this is just going to be me and a bunch of other crazy map making people throwing pictures around and talking about space and map gibberish. Feel free to join in with your own crazy space stuff. It may be helpful to us. If it isn't, oh well, who cares? It's the off topic forum.

For people who know what is going on. I'm not reposting my hideous draft here. Instead I'll just outline what I think we have going on and you can correct me if I'm wrong:

DiM is angrily reorganizing the stations/ships he made and will repost them here with some race stories.

gimil is waiting for a good alien planet for us to use.
Telvannia or waclimbing will be providing this.
It is my hope whoever ends up doing this will create something much larger then we would actually use. It's easier to shrink things down then to make them bigger.

I'm going to try to keep everyone working together and will be organizing all this stuff in a way that I can understand it, and hopefully in a way you guys can understand it. If at any time you aren't understanding what's happening ask me and we'll figure it out.

I've placed my two finished race stories here:
http://members.cox.net/gyrigo/CC/Races.htm

I think that's enough for now. When we have an actual map I may try to suffer through the rigid process enforced in the map ideas forum.
Warning: You may be reading a really old topic.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Fo Sho on Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:57 am

you have way too much time on your hands...
Private 1st Class Fo Sho

Postby Coleman on Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:05 am

I'm doing links instead of img tags because we really don't need the topic exploding with pictures. Some off topic person may find it funny to repost it with img tags, I can't help that. :roll:

Links to all the pictures we were messing with (that were not deleted):
Ugly Draft
Tel Station 1
Tel's 1st Planet
Gathering of Giants
Brothers in Time
Abandonment
Reflections
Corporate Station Placeholder
Orbital Platform
Some Ships
More Ships
Even More Ships
A Big Ship
Alderian's Fleet Placeholder
Tel's 2nd Planet
Corporate Station Placeholder (White Background)
Possible Katarian Ship

Fo Sho wrote:you have way too much time on your hands...

Fo Sho! :lol:
Sergeant Coleman

Postby unriggable on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:37 am

Here's how I thought it could work:

You start with a space station (which gives you a bonus in itself). Each station is attached to one territory that it can be attacked from BUT it can one-way attack all nearby territories. There are no continents, just a ton of territories, maybe some gold mines or 'key territories' which give you a bonus for holding. Eliminate player by taking their space station.
Cook unriggable

Postby Coleman on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:55 am

unriggable wrote:Here's how I thought it could work:

You start with a space station (which gives you a bonus in itself). Each station is attached to one territory that it can be attacked from BUT it can one-way attack all nearby territories. There are no continents, just a ton of territories, maybe some gold mines or 'key territories' which give you a bonus for holding. Eliminate player by taking their space station.

I like all of that, and it may be what DiM was thinking as well.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby static_ice on Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:56 am

from a noob when it comes to mapmaking:

it seems you guys are focusing on the visuals too much, when I look at the "ugly" map drawing it looks really boring and similar to a bunch of other symmetrical maps...

maybe you should focus on the gameplay more

once again I'm just a mapmaking noob :)
R.I.P. Chef
Sergeant static_ice

Postby Coleman on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:01 am

Actually static, you are probably right. gimil as far as I'm concerned (along with DiM) are in charge of gameplay and they haven't posted here yet.

We do need to have a basic map image to manipulate though. Then we can see how our gameplay ideas will alter that.

This will not be a symmetrical map. I will do my best to ensure it is fair and each start point has a reasonable possibility of winning, but I don't want 6 pieces repeated for everyone.

Off Topic: I'm so afraid iceman will delete this for some reason or Andy will move it back to the foundry. :?
Sergeant Coleman

Postby static_ice on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:03 am

Coleman wrote:Actually static, you are probably right. gimil as far as I'm concerned (along with DiM) are in charge of gameplay and they haven't posted here yet.

We do need to have a basic map image to manipulate though. Then we can see how our gameplay ideas will alter that.

This will not be a symmetrical map. I will do my best to ensure it is fair and each start point has a reasonable possibility of winning, but I don't want 6 pieces repeated for everyone.

Off Topic: I'm so afraid iceman will delete this for some reason or Andy will move it back to the foundry. :?

k good, cuz the last thing CC needs is another chinese checkers :lol:
R.I.P. Chef
Sergeant static_ice

Postby unriggable on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:15 am

Coleman wrote:
unriggable wrote:Here's how I thought it could work:

I like all of that, and it may be what DiM was thinking as well.

Alien planet calls for alien condition - Sketch

A single ocean, because water is scarce. Mostly mountains. Purple blocks are places of power - +1 army.

Cook unriggable

Postby Coleman on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:25 am

I'm actually quite pleased with that. I'd be cool with the territories being that way. That might just be the Alpha Centuri player in me though. Looks like a good plotting mechanism that will allow for us to have a lot of territories.

I'd like more water though, and I'd like a race to be aquatic and start with a landing area all in the water with a few ways in and out of the water like Great Lakes.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby unriggable on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:42 am

Coleman wrote:I'd like more water though, and I'd like a race to be aquatic and start with a landing area all in the water with a few ways in and out of the water like Great Lakes.

The inhabitants?
Cook unriggable

Postby Coleman on Wed Aug 01, 2007 11:50 am

unriggable wrote:
Coleman wrote:I'd like more water though, and I'd like a race to be aquatic and start with a landing area all in the water with a few ways in and out of the water like Great Lakes.

The inhabitants?

Apparently I've confused you, and you've confused me back. Well done. ](*,)
Sergeant Coleman

Postby unriggable on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Coleman wrote:
unriggable wrote:

The inhabitants?

Apparently I've confused you, and you've confused me back. Well done. ](*,)

Cook unriggable

Postby Coleman on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:09 pm

That looks good. the connecting lines could be underwater pipes like you see in some zoos when we get the graphics going.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby unriggable on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:19 pm

Coleman wrote:That looks good. the connecting lines could be underwater pipes like you see in some zoos when we get the graphics going.

I was thinking ramps since they are easier to build (you need all kinds of transporting and factories for pipelines). Of course they'd have to be made of a very durable material since the nasty winds are limited to this one sea. What should the name be? I'm thinking something like desolate sea or solitary sea.
Cook unriggable

Postby Coleman on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:30 pm

unriggable wrote:What should the name be? I'm thinking something like desolate sea or solitary sea.

Desolate Sea.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby unriggable on Wed Aug 01, 2007 12:52 pm

Coleman wrote:
unriggable wrote:What should the name be? I'm thinking something like desolate sea or solitary sea.

Desolate Sea.

Be a douschebage and call it the de-sea-late.
Cook unriggable

Postby Coleman on Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:22 pm

unriggable wrote:Be a douschebage and call it the de-sea-late.

I'll think I'll pick the secret option and be a douschebage without doing that. :wink:
Sergeant Coleman

Postby DiM on Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:34 pm

here are the space stations. sorry no story yet. i was too pissed by keyogi to come up with a story :evil:
:x
Last edited by DiM on Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby Coleman on Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:40 pm

Are any of those meant to be human? I like that spaceship for a Katarian flagship, but if you have a different idea for it I don't want to twist things.

Also, I'm more then willing to make up stories for any of that unless it was something you were really looking forward to.
Sergeant Coleman

Postby Telvannia on Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:08 pm

wow i had no internet access for 2 days, and in that time to world seems to have gone mad.

We are making maps in the clubhouse forum after being told not to in the foundry and pictures keep going missing.

Personally i think we should start the map maker union as a clan, then have a hidden forum for us to make maps in then no one can complain, although it seems slightly stupid that we have to make maps outside the public view.

But no matter, going back to the important part of this post.

I can make a planet or sorts might take me awhile to do, but i thought wca was making one, but as far as i can see he has not done much, i can try to make any graphics you want if you ask me,
but im meant to be off camping tomorrow (thursday) till end of next week, i might be able to get out of it, but if i dont then i wont be around for awhile so i wont be much help.

But going back to right now, im going to read up on what is going on in with this map, in both topics, then i need some sleep. So i probably wont post again till tomorrow dependent on what happens.
Sergeant 1st Class Telvannia

Postby Coleman on Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:11 pm

Great to see you anyway. A good planet right now would probably be mostly land with one or two lake like bodies of water. And similar to earth as far as textures and stuff go. With some variety in the form of mountains, rivers, forests, plains, valleys ect. I know that's a tall order.

Hope things go well.
Sergeant Coleman

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,