Conquer Club

What other languages do you speak?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby DiM on Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:23 pm

1. romanian - native
2. english - very good
3. italian - good
4. spanish - good
5. french - poor
6. german - poor
7. latin - poor
ā€œIn the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.ā€- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby glide on Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:21 am

I speak English, some french, enough spanish to get my face slapped, and of course....mock swedish. :lol:
(I spiek Ingleesh, sume-a ffreech, eeuoogh spuneesh tu git my ffece-a sleppid, und uff cuoorsi....muck svideesh.) :lol:
Gatekeeper, and Proud Member of XI Games
Newt Hunter
Private 1st Class glide

Location: 7km outside the thriving metropolis of Centreville, New Brunswick!

Postby DAZMCFC on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:04 am

Bertros Bertros wrote:
DAZMCFC wrote:like bertros said, i feel most in the uk are to ignorant to learn a different language(probably me included).

I said nothing of the sort! I said most people in the UK would like to have better language skills than they do which is very different from being too ignorant to bother. There are a lot of those sort everywhere, not just in the UK, but I believe they are in the minority for us. It really gets my back up the way brits are so quick to degrade ourselves without thinking, especially where language is concerned. I've said it before in these forums but what the heck. The reason that the number of people fluent in a foreign language in the UK is low is becuase nearly every other person who doesn't speak English and whats to learn a second language learns English. Its the international language; Portuguese businessmean speak to Danes in English, not Danish or Portuguese. The motivation just isn't there to learn another language in the same way as it is for those who don't speak English already as we are so much less disadvantaged by it. Thats not ignorant or lazy, its just common sense.

i`m only joking. calm down, we are at a disadvantage because at my age we did not start german until secondry/high school, while in most of scandanavia they start at the age of 5. now my son is 6 and he is starting to learn a few words in french. :lol:
high score:2765
high place:116
Major DAZMCFC

Postby Phobia on Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:16 am

English - Fluent (Obviously :P)
French - Good
German - Good
Latin - Poor
Spanish - Poor

I only really know these languages cos I spent years at school learning them, I dropped Latin and Spanish a while ago, but still remember a bit, but now GCSE's are done, I dropped French and German too. :P
Sergeant 1st Class Phobia

Postby KiwiTaker on Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:31 pm

Actually I was talking about Dundee in Scotland. There are a few words that are only spoken there. I may be a Kiwi but my dad is from Dundee. Lol the city in New Zealand is Dunedin. It sounds similar because a bunch of Scottish settlers from the highlands setled there.
Sergeant KiwiTaker

Postby Stopper on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:43 pm

btownmeggy wrote:And, then, of course, traveling to Italy, seeing amazing sites, eating delicious food, being surrounded by beautiful women who ride mopeds in high heels.

It's probably the eternal optimist in me, but some of the first phrases I committed to memory were, in fact, "you're beautiful" ("Sei bellissima") and "may I have your telephone number?" ("Posso avere il suo numero di telefono?")

KiwiTaker wrote:Actually I was talking about Dundee in Scotland. There are a few words that are only spoken there. I may be a Kiwi but my dad is from Dundee. Lol the city in New Zealand is Dunedin. It sounds similar because a bunch of Scottish settlers from the highlands setled there.

There are definitely unique elements of accent and dialect to Dundee (just as any local dialect has its own, everywhere.) I personally wouldn't be 100% sure exactly which words, etc, were unique to Dundee. I would prefer to just refer to "Scots" dialect.

The only (alleged*) one I can think of, off the top of my head, is "circle" for what the rest of the UK calls a "roundabout". I know the Americans have a thing they call a "circle", but that's not the same thing as what a Dundonian might refer to as a "circle". This is useful to know, to avoid crashes.

* alleged, meaning I don't know that it's unique to Dundee. But the word is real.
Lieutenant Stopper

Postby DAZMCFC on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:54 pm

KiwiTaker wrote:Actually I was talking about Dundee in Scotland. There are a few words that are only spoken there. I may be a Kiwi but my dad is from Dundee. Lol the city in New Zealand is Dunedin. It sounds similar because a bunch of Scottish settlers from the highlands setled there.

i bow down to you Stopper, very good and well thought out. :oops:

do you know KiwiTaker, as you seem to know his family was probably from Scotland and indeed the city you were from. :roll:
Major DAZMCFC

Postby Stopper on Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:58 pm

DAZMCFC wrote:do you know KiwiTaker, as you seem to know his family was probably from Scotland and indeed the city you were from. :roll:

Of course I do - he's one of my multis...

EDIT: Actually, I wonder if "multi", meaning a high-rise, is unique to Dundee...? It probably isn't. Hmmm.
Lieutenant Stopper

Postby DAZMCFC on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:08 pm

probably not. :roll:
Major DAZMCFC

Postby KiwiTaker on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:38 pm

Lol one of the ones I am thinking of is Keeker. That is Dundonian for black eye. Oh and dowp which means butt.
Sergeant KiwiTaker

Postby Stopper on Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:59 am

KiwiTaker wrote:Lol one of the ones I am thinking of is Keeker. That is Dundonian for black eye. Oh and dowp which means butt.

I just thought of another. Do you know, or does your Dad remember, what a "half-loaf" is...?
Lieutenant Stopper

Postby KiwiTaker on Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:00 pm

Lol my Dad remembers what a half-loaf is.
Sergeant KiwiTaker

Postby sam_levi_11 on Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:32 pm

english- well its my first(native) language
spanish- meh
french- poorly
germn- i know 1-10, ur mom is a....and many words at the end, england and hail
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby lord twiggy1 on Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:15 pm

other than English i also speak Spanish and German

Spanish: I speak really fleuantly(sp?) because i went to a spanish immersion school in elementary and continued it through 8th grade(only one class in 8th though but in 6th and 7th about half the time) and im gonna be taking it again(which really sucks because i hate learning in it) this year in 9th grade

German: almost none just started taking lessons from those cassettes and CDs you get at the library.
Back in Black
'Cause I'm back/Yes, I'm back/Well, I'm back/Yes, I'm back/Well, I'm back, back/
Well I'm back in black/Yes, I'm back in black

That's right, I'M BACK! hopefully to stay this time!
Cook lord twiggy1

Location: at exacltly 15 degrees N lattitud and...Ahh who the hell am i kidding I have no idea

Postby Stopper on Fri Aug 24, 2007 6:53 pm

KiwiTaker wrote:Lol my Dad remembers what a half-loaf is.

Well, here's a short story for no reason. When I was 6 or 7, or something, my Mum sent me to get some stuff from the shop for her. We'd moved to England at that time, and I was (and still am) very deaf, so I was slow to catch on up on language of any sort, never mind dialect.

She sent me to get a half-loaf - to my mind, this surely only meant what it seemed to say - half a loaf of bread. So I went round three shops looking for "half-loaves", and ended up asking an (English) shop assistant if they had a "half-loaf".

"Well," she said, very sweetly, "we have all those whole loaves."

"Naw," I said, "My mum says it's got to be a half-loaf."

Got a bollocking when I went home empty-handed. But I found out what a "half-loaf" was...
Lieutenant Stopper

Postby salvadevinemasse on Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:21 pm

Stopper wrote:

Well, here's a short story for no reason. When I was 6 or 7, or something, my Mum sent me to get some stuff from the shop for her. We'd moved to England at that time, and I was (and still am) very deaf, so I was slow to catch on up on language of any sort, never mind dialect.

She sent me to get a half-loaf - to my mind, this surely only meant what it seemed to say - half a loaf of bread. So I went round three shops looking for "half-loaves", and ended up asking an (English) shop assistant if they had a "half-loaf".

Got a bollocking when I went home empty-handed. But I found out what a "half-loaf" was...

Bollocking meaning she spanked you or gave you a hard time? What is a half loaf? Is it like a cracker?
"angel by heart....mistress dressed sexy by night....and by day..just a cool person i guess" By BlueReaper

cawck mongler wrote:Your only option is to quit and become an anti-American Nazi that plays risk.

~*Salva*~
Cadet salvadevinemasse

Postby Stopper on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:01 pm

salvadevinemasse wrote:
Stopper wrote:

Bollocking meaning she spanked you or gave you a hard time? What is a half loaf? Is it like a cracker?

Well, either she or my Dad give me a clout oer me heid. I'm no sayin nowt aboot the half-loaf til the New Zealander replies, and you gotta gie them the chance, what wi the time zones bein as they are!
Lieutenant Stopper

Postby salvadevinemasse on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:19 pm

Stopper wrote:
salvadevinemasse wrote:
Stopper wrote:

Well, either she or my Dad give me a clout oer me heid. I'm no sayin nowt aboot the half-loaf til the New Zealander replies, and you gotta gie them the chance, what wi the time zones bein as they are!

Damn Stopper, I gotta ask with the spelling tonight.. How much have you had!? lol.
"angel by heart....mistress dressed sexy by night....and by day..just a cool person i guess" By BlueReaper

cawck mongler wrote:Your only option is to quit and become an anti-American Nazi that plays risk.

~*Salva*~
Cadet salvadevinemasse

Postby Stopper on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:34 pm

I've had a fair bit, but I've checked what I said, and there isn't a single spellin error there. "Clout" stands alone. "Oer" means "over". "No", as far as I put it there, means "not" (though no always). "Gie" sounds exactly like "gee" and means "give", "wi" rhymes with "wee" and means "with". G's at the end of words are omitted where they are simply not spoken, just as in ebonics.

No mistakes, there, bonny lass, trust me...
Lieutenant Stopper

Postby salvadevinemasse on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:40 pm

Stopper wrote:I've had a fair bit, but I've checked what I said, and there isn't a single spellin error there. "Clout" stands alone. "Oer" means "over". "No", as far as I put it there, means "not" (though no always). "Gie" sounds exactly like "gee" and means "give", "wi" rhymes with "wee" and means "with". G's at the end of words are omitted where they are simply not spoken, just as in ebonics.

*screams in her head* That hurt reading it for some reason! Maybe I shouldnt have tried contacts for the first time today! lol I'm gonna go shower and go to bed I've had a bunch of late nights due to stress and I'm really tired

~*Salva*~
Cadet salvadevinemasse

Postby 0ojakeo0 on Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:43 pm

Stopper wrote:I've had a fair bit, but I've checked what I said, and there isn't a single spellin error there. "Clout" stands alone. "Oer" means "over". "No", as far as I put it there, means "not" (though no always). "Gie" sounds exactly like "gee" and means "give", "wi" rhymes with "wee" and means "with". G's at the end of words are omitted where they are simply not spoken, just as in ebonics.

looks gud to me
hecter wrote:Hey... If your donkey eats my roosters feet, that means I have two feet of my cock in your ass.
Corporal 1st Class 0ojakeo0

Postby KiwiTaker on Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:29 pm

As far as I can tell a half-loaf is something to do with a loaf of bread lol. I've forgetten what the definition from my Dad was. I can't ask him as hes gone to have a drink with his mates. :shock:
Sergeant KiwiTaker

Postby misterman10 on Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:26 am

I talk english fluentedly
Pleasant Chaps still suck cock.

Yakuza power.
Major misterman10

Postby Iliad on Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:29 am

lord twiggy1 wrote:other than English i also speak Spanish and German

Spanish: I speak really fleuantly(sp?) because i went to a spanish immersion school in elementary and continued it through 8th grade(only one class in 8th though but in 6th and 7th about half the time) and im gonna be taking it again(which really sucks because i hate learning in it) this year in 9th grade

German: almost none just started taking lessons from those cassettes and CDs you get at the library.

You sure don't speak English fluently j/k. And I doubt you know a language fluently just by learning it in school for 2 years.
Private 1st Class Iliad

Postby OnlyAmbrose on Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:40 am

Aside from English, I speak a fair amount of French. I'll be taking my 6th year of it this coming school year.
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
Corporal 1st Class OnlyAmbrose

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,