Conquer Club

Deja-Vous?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Do you have Deja-Vu?

Total votes : 0

Deja-Vous?

Postby Minister Masket on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:21 pm

A few months ago I was in my room, and the word "silhouette" just popped into my mind. Mere seconds later, I looked at the newspaper, and there on the page one word stood out - silhouette. Spooky ay?

About a year ago I was thinking of catchy titles for possible novels I might write in the future, and one which came to mind was "Zodiac". I figured I could write a story about the signs of the horoscope comng alive or something odd like that. Well about a week later I heard about a new American film called - you'll never guess - ZODIAC! And to add insult to injury it has nothing to do with the horoscope, but rather an American version of Jack the Ripper. How cliche... So now I must either call my future book something different, or risk copyright infringment.

That's not all. When I was much younger I could, on occasion, predict which episodes of certain TV shows were coming on before they started. Curiously, this mostly happened with "Ed, Edd + Eddy". Don't ask why.

So I think I have very short-term psychic powers - ie: Deja-Vu.
And I was wondering if anyone else out there also has it.

Before you ask, those are REAL examples, I did not fabricate them.
And yes, the title is SUPPOSED to be funny. Only French linguists will probably get it though.
Victrix Fortuna Sapientia

Private Minister Masket

Postby muy_thaiguy on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:33 pm

I seem to have de-ja-vu a lot, but only for little, but almost one time things. Like the feeling of despair about something that impacted my whole family, during such a time, almost as if I have dreamt it before (and sometimes, I have). It freaks me out at times.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby Arbustos on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:36 pm

Ha ha at title.

And deja vu isn't a psychic power. :wink:
Last edited by Arbustos on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sergeant 1st Class Arbustos

Postby Minister Masket on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:38 pm

Arbustos wrote:Ha ha at title.

And deja vu isn't a physic power. :wink:

O RLY?

Private Minister Masket

Postby Arbustos on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:39 pm

Minister Masket wrote:

O RLY?

YES

RLY.

Postby Minister Masket on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:41 pm

Arbustos wrote:
Minister Masket wrote:

O RLY?

YES

RLY.

Then what is it?

Private Minister Masket

Postby muy_thaiguy on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:42 pm

Minister Masket wrote:
Arbustos wrote:
Minister Masket wrote:

O RLY?

YES

RLY.

Then what is it?
The feeling of having done something before, or been to place you haven't been before.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby jako on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:43 pm

thats nothing, sometimes i have these dreams, nad a couple of days later, what happened in my dreams would happen that day.

for example, i dreamt i was sitting in teh car waiting for my mom. and it was on a semi busy road. and while i sat there, i was feeling bored and suddenly i remembered that at that moment, it was strangely similar to a dream i dreamt like 3-4 days ago, next thing u know, i could predict what colour cars would past by adn when. also, i was at the bottom of a hill, on a side street, so i could not see beforehand what car was coming, nor its colour. that day turned out to be very exciting once i started getting all my guesses right one after another.

another time, i dreamt i was standing at a cross walk and i saw this lady crossing this street and getting hit by this porshe car. 6 days later, there i was standing and waiting for the crossing signal to change behind this really hot lady. thats when i hit me, it was almost exactly like my dream. the signaled changed and she was about to cross, so i decided to pull her back. she didnt like that at all, but before she could say something to me, a yellow porshe shot past us doing close to 100 in a 30km/h zone. next thing u know, she turns around, gives me a hug and started thanking me for saving her life.

btw, it was impossible for us to see that porshe as the crosswalk was at a curve in the road and there was some overgrowth that block all the view, which was y it was limited to 30km/h in the first place, but that porshe was just ripping it.

ps did i mention she was really hot and wearing this really nice dress? i was like 13 then, so i got just a tad excited afterwards.

Time to retire this much loved sig of mine with a new clan.
Lieutenant jako

Postby Arbustos on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:44 pm

Minister Masket wrote:
Arbustos wrote:
Minister Masket wrote:

O RLY?

YES

RLY.

Then what is it?

Psst... do some research of your own. :wink:

I did sometime last year out of boredom... IIRC, the accepted theory is that a thought that should be sent to your short-term memory instead bypasses it and goes directly to the long-term memory... this gives the impression of having experienced something before. Again, I could be remembering wrong, so...

do your own research. :P

Postby Arbustos on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:47 pm

jako wrote:thats nothing, sometimes i have these dreams, nad a couple of days later, what happened in my dreams would happen that day.

for example, i dreamt i was sitting in teh car waiting for my mom. and it was on a semi busy road. and while i sat there, i was feeling bored and suddenly i remembered that at that moment, it was strangely similar to a dream i dreamt like 3-4 days ago, next thing u know, i could predict what colour cars would past by adn when. also, i was at the bottom of a hill, on a side street, so i could not see beforehand what car was coming, nor its colour. that day turned out to be very exciting once i started getting all my guesses right one after another.

another time, i dreamt i was standing at a cross walk and i saw this lady crossing this street and getting hit by this porshe car. 6 days later, there i was standing and waiting for the crossing signal to change behind this really hot lady. thats when i hit me, it was almost exactly like my dream. the signaled changed and she was about to cross, so i decided to pull her back. she didnt like that at all, but before she could say something to me, a yellow porshe shot past us doing close to 100 in a 30km/h zone. next thing u know, she turns around, gives me a hug and started thanking me for saving her life.

btw, it was impossible for us to see that porshe as the crosswalk was at a curve in the road and there was some overgrowth that block all the view, which was y it was limited to 30km/h in the first place, but that porshe was just ripping it.

ps did i mention she was really hot and wearing this really nice dress? i was like 13 then, so i got just a tad excited afterwards.

That sounds more like the psychic powers MM was talking about than deja vu. Deja vu isn't predicting something, but feeling like you've already witnessed an event right after it happens. That's because you feel like you "recognize" what's going on about a millisecond before it occurs.

Postby sully800 on Tue Sep 11, 2007 1:53 pm

I usually have deja vu about the same incidents multiple times. Meaning, I get deja vu, and then I feel like I already had deja vu about the same thing. Every time that happens I think its hilarious and I wish there was some way I could write a story/short film to encapsulate the irony.
Major sully800

Postby Minister Masket on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:00 pm

Way to split hairs Arbustos. The point is we are psychic.

Private Minister Masket

Postby Arbustos on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:04 pm

Minister Masket wrote:Way to split hairs Arbustos. The point is we are psychic.

I know I'm being pedantic, but I couldn't resist this one. :lol:

I don't have any problem with you claiming to be psychic, but it's not deja vu. Since that's (kinda) the thread title I had to make a point.

:wink:

Postby Norse on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:08 pm

I once dreamt I was crimping out a seriously large turd.

De-ja-vu gives me the shits every time now.
b.k. barunt wrote:Snorri's like one of those fufu dogs who get all excited and dance around pissing on themself.

suggs wrote:scared off by all the pervs and wankers already? No? Then let me introduce myself, I'm Mr Pervy Wank.
Corporal 1st Class Norse

Re: Deja-Vous?

Postby Simonov on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:39 pm

Minister Masket wrote:A few months ago I was in my room, and the word "silhouette" just popped into my mind. Mere seconds later, I looked at the newspaper, and there on the page one word stood out - silhouette.

first minister that's not deja vu, that's precognition. deja vu means already seen and it's used to describe a situation a moment 2-3 sec in time which when you live it you have a strange feeling you seen it, lived it before - it happened to me when was teenager quite often, and usually i dreamt of certain moment before living it. it's actually an abnormality in brain function, you haven't seen/dreamed that moment before you just think you have.

it's linked to disorders like schizophrenia and even more epilepsy. have you ever had your legs started twitching in sleep i.e. when dreaming that you slipped or fell or just before you fell asleep? this is also a sign of brain's abnormal function. it actually means you have a predisposition for developing such disease - that doesn't mean you'll get it, it usually takes great emotional stress to trigger the occurrence of disorder itself.

as for this events you described i have two explanations: overactive imagination (not Death's song) and coincidence.

http://www.last.fm/music/Death/_/Overactive+Imagination
Last edited by Simonov on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal 1st Class Simonov

Postby diddle on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:49 pm

Minister Masket wrote:A few months ago I was in my room, and the word "silhouette" just popped into my mind. Mere seconds later, I looked at the newspaper, and there on the page one word stood out - silhouette. Spooky ay?

About a year ago I was thinking of catchy titles for possible novels I might write in the future, and one which came to mind was "Zodiac". I figured I could write a story about the signs of the horoscope comng alive or something odd like that. Well about a week later I heard about a new American film called - you'll never guess - ZODIAC! And to add insult to injury it has nothing to do with the horoscope, but rather an American version of Jack the Ripper. How cliche... So now I must either call my future book something different, or risk copyright infringment.

That's not all. When I was much younger I could, on occasion, predict which episodes of certain TV shows were coming on before they started. Curiously, this mostly happened with "Ed, Edd + Eddy". Don't ask why.

So I think I have very short-term psychic powers - ie: Deja-Vu.
And I was wondering if anyone else out there also has it.

Before you ask, those are REAL examples, I did not fabricate them.
And yes, the title is SUPPOSED to be funny. Only French linguists will probably get it though.

....freak :roll:
Cadet diddle

Postby Simonov on Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:50 pm

the freakiest thing that happened to me was SLEEP PARALYSIS. i almost shat my pants when it happened.

it all started when i was trying to do more active dreaming - it's when you realize you're dreaming and then you can decide what you'll do like in real life - a great feeling, you can do what ever you want defy laws of gravity , absolutely everything. it usually happens to everyone every now and then.

so i concentrated before i went to sleep and also did some mental techniques to help me become aware that i'm dreaming. it backfired on me. i did woke up, and ended up detached from all mine bodily senses - you're awake and can think clearly just you can't move a single muscle in your body, this went on for couple of minutes and i almost freaked out. but then i somehow managed to move my hand and my senses and control of body were slowly regained. never tried that shit again. don't mess with your mind people it can be dangerous.

Postby Arbustos on Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:35 pm

Simonov wrote:
it's linked to disorders like schizophrenia and even more epilepsy. have you ever had your legs started twitching in sleep i.e. when dreaming that you slipped or fell or just before you fell asleep? this is also a sign of brain's abnormal function. it actually means you have a predisposition for developing such disease - that doesn't mean you'll get it, it usually takes great emotional stress to trigger the occurrence of disorder itself.

That's what that is? Freaks me out when it happens... oh well, should've known my brain was abnormal. :(

Postby Simonov on Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:41 pm

Arbustos wrote:I did sometime last year out of boredom... IIRC, the accepted theory is that a thought that should be sent to your short-term memory instead bypasses it and goes directly to the long-term memory... this gives the impression of having experienced something before.

yes, that's it basically.

Postby 0ojakeo0 on Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:43 pm

i dream things but i only remember the dreams wen they come tru
hecter wrote:Hey... If your donkey eats my roosters feet, that means I have two feet of my cock in your ass.
Corporal 1st Class 0ojakeo0

Postby magneticgoop on Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:58 pm

Simonov wrote:
it's linked to disorders like schizophrenia
no its not i have deja vu all the time and i am perfectly normal. wait the rabbits up in the trees, they're watching me, get away they are coming for me 8-[

but seriously i have it about once a month. one summer in between third and fourth grade i would have it 2-3 times a day for about 2 months it was kinda cool. but it is never any thing more than seeing a short movie scene for a brand new movie. or someone orders the exact thing in my dream at a restaurant. nothing as cool as jako though :(
Fool me once, strike one. Fool me twice, strike...three.Image
Cook magneticgoop

Location: Screaming at the TV as Norv Turner turns the chargers into the worst team in the NFL =(

Postby static_ice on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:28 pm

its cool and all some of the things you guys said, but for those that mentioned recognizing something or predicting something only a second or two into the future, IMO its most likely thats because you were in a specific less-focused mood and did things like "mid"consciously glance at something or overhear something out of the corner of your eye or from very far away behind you, like being half asleep and overhearing a conversation or TV episode, but not consciously understanding until you wake up and then it all comes to you.
R.I.P. Chef
Sergeant static_ice

Postby Arbustos on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:36 pm

static_ice wrote:its cool and all some of the things you guys said, but for those that mentioned recognizing something or predicting something only a second or two into the future, IMO its most likely thats because you were in a specific less-focused mood and did things like "mid"consciously glance at something or overhear something out of the corner of your eye or from very far away behind you, like being half asleep and overhearing a conversation or TV episode, but not consciously understanding until you wake up and then it all comes to you.

That's one way it can happen, but the dream world is... different. You can remember dreaming something when you never really did as an explanation of the direct leap to long-term memory.

Again, I'm basing all this on half-remembered research into the subject.
:)

Postby static_ice on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:50 pm

Arbustos wrote:
static_ice wrote:its cool and all some of the things you guys said, but for those that mentioned recognizing something or predicting something only a second or two into the future, IMO its most likely thats because you were in a specific less-focused mood and did things like "mid"consciously glance at something or overhear something out of the corner of your eye or from very far away behind you, like being half asleep and overhearing a conversation or TV episode, but not consciously understanding until you wake up and then it all comes to you.

That's one way it can happen, but the dream world is... different. You can remember dreaming something when you never really did as an explanation of the direct leap to long-term memory.

same here :P

you can never know that you didn't dream it already, because there are dreams that you wake up and don't remember a thing. Maybe something in the real world can be a trigger that makes you remember the dream.
R.I.P. Chef
Sergeant static_ice

Postby Arbustos on Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:56 pm

static_ice wrote:
Arbustos wrote:

same here :P

you can never know that you didn't dream it already, because there are dreams that you wake up and don't remember a thing. Maybe something in the real world can be a trigger that makes you remember the dream.

And maybe life is just a dream within a dream, and dying is nothing but finally awakening to the light... or maybe I've been watching the Matrix too much. >_>

Hey, I bet I could get a few people in this world to follow me if I called ^^ that a religion. :P

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,