Conquer Club

Warhammer Discussion

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Warhammer Discussion

Postby cawck mongler on Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:12 pm

Discuss warhammer here, preferably fantasy.

I'm thinking about starting, and I'll probably go with the Vampire Counts. I'm making up what guys I want to get right now, but I'm having trouble because I don't know what banners and spears/halberds/etc. do. Awnsers would be appreciated, I don't have the rulebook nor do I ever plan on buying one.

Also are ranged units given penalties in close combat? Someone I know said they arn't, which sounds like bullshit, but might be true. Are their weapons skill or point cost lower/higher then normal to compensate?
Sergeant cawck mongler

Postby sheepofdumb on Sun Sep 16, 2007 9:30 pm

I don't play warhammer but I am interested in getting into something like that. WoW unfortunately takes up a considerable amount of time and any money I get is either going into it or going into console gaming, not that there's anything wrong with that.

To answer your ranged attack question. I would believe there would be a penalty. Ranged units gain the power to attack from afar but are usually weak to melee. If they suffer no melee penalties and have decent armor then a super ranged unit easily becomes overpowered. Especially if you can buff his melee attack so he is deadly no matter what the situation is.
I AM MASTER SHEEP, TEH AWESOME

DoomYoshi wrote:Test it on me. Tree stump is my favorite role anyway lol. Next time I am picking Wispy Woods as my character.
Corporal sheepofdumb

Postby Anarchy Ninja on Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:44 am

I prefer 40k but my friend does mainly fantasy and he uses beastmen. Gamesworkshop would have pretty much all you need to know I think.
Sergeant 1st Class Anarchy Ninja

Postby Iliad on Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:38 am

I'm thinking about starting The Tomb kings. My friend plays and is a great fan so I might play it.
Private 1st Class Iliad

Postby Guiscard on Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:38 am

I used to be well into this until I was 12/13... Was fun back in the day.

Had a High Elf ad a Goblin fantasy army, a really cool Imperial Guard one for 40k with lots of tanks... Sold them all though.

Now I'm in my 20s, I'm thinking I could possibly get away with painting an army again without being declared uber uber Geek... I do like the look of the new Empire models :D

But cawck mongler, why do you never plan on buying the rulebook / army book? Fairly essential I'd say. Vampire Counts are a good choice though. Fairly difficult to play but damn powerful, if I remember correctly. As for your question, no they're not given penalties but they just have a basic hand weapon and usually they won't get any rank bonus (which is a big deal - the more ranks the better) because they'll have been deployed in a line so more can shoot. A unit of archers would very very rarely win against an equivalent unit of swordmen I'd say. Anyway, in real life you wouldn't just have a bow would you? You'd at least have a knife or short sword on your person in a battle.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby OnlyAmbrose on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:03 am

I used to play warhammer, was great freshman year when I actually had the time to devote to painting the little guys.

As luck would have it, I used to play Vampire Counts. GREAT army, for several reasons.

-> Ridiculously easy to paint
-> You don't have to worry about fear and other such annoying stuff
-> You can frickin' raise zombies like 20 at a time!

The last part is so fun to use to frustrate your opponent. I remember I was playing my pal with his lizard man army, and every time he tried to advance I'd pop a line of 20 zombies or so in front of his formation, annoyed the crap out of him.

I played 40k for awhile, as the IG, but wasn't into it as much as fantasy. Have fun with it, it was good while it lasted. :)
"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
Corporal 1st Class OnlyAmbrose

Postby cawck mongler on Mon Sep 17, 2007 6:01 pm

I just downloaded the rulebook and the vampire book. Does anyone know how to save PDFs?

But yeah, after having a look at the rules and the vampire book, they actually seem very underpowered. You lose two skeletons/zombies for every one you'd normally lose, and they still cost a decent amount of points. That wouldn't be so bad, but in the rulebook it says that the player who kills the most points worth of units wins the game. Resurecting endless waves of undead isn't such a good thing when they just feed your enemy. Of course, no one I know would actually play exactly by the rules (it also says there're only supposed to be 6 turns=bullshit).

Assuming its not a tourny or something they look good, and the whole cause fear ability is pretty badass (pretty much route any enemy if they fail a leadership test on you, some guy I know who plays dwarves will get raped by me, I can charge him whenever I want). Chaos also seem cool, but they look overpowered and are probably a very obvious choice on who to pick.

How olds to old to play? I'm 16, and everyone I know got into it in or before grade 7, I don't want to start now and find out its some little faggot kids game.
Sergeant cawck mongler

Postby qeee1 on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:43 pm

I don't get it. When does this thread turn into an elaborate troll?
Frigidus wrote:but now that it's become relatively popular it's suffered the usual downturn in coolness.
Colonel qeee1

Postby unriggable on Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:51 pm

Did 40k back in the day (february), it got so expensive that nobody I knew kept up with it so I just trashed it.

EDIT I have some Death Korps, if you want them talk to me.
Cook unriggable

Postby AndrewLC on Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:46 pm

I play Lizardmen/Dwarfs

Orks for 40k

Ranged units don't have penalties in close combat, but they usually have a low weapon skill.
Sexy party

Free Norse!
Free Norse!
Free Norse!
Cook AndrewLC

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,