Conquer Club

British education....." Be like WAGS"

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby sam_levi_11 on Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:50 pm

LOL
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby Stopper on Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:16 pm

I don't know, I'm surprised by the level of education they do have - in fact, Victoria Beckham is the only one confirmed to not have the 5-GCSEs-at-C-or-above that everyone's supposed to have.

I've never paid that much attention to the press attention on the WAGS, but even then, I've gone away with the impression that they were all thick, vacuous, gold-digging, blah-blah...But that's clearly not the whole story.

I always try to be aware of the insidious effect the media can have on people, but damn, this caught me by surprise.
Lieutenant Stopper

Postby Guiscard on Wed Oct 24, 2007 4:37 pm

Norse wrote:
Guiscard wrote:
When I was in primary school Gary Lineker visited to talk to us about the importance of reading, or something. Its just that

Gary linekar is not exactly similiar to your average wag, though is he?

I mean, you wouldn't have, say, wayne rooney coming in to give an advanced physics lesson, would you? or Mike tyson coming in to help promote safe sex?

I think that this whole motto is implying that this is what your average teenage girl should be aiming towards. My feminine side is offended by this. I feel objectified, and sexualised, and raped of my feminine youth...and it's all the education ministers' faults!

You're spectacularly missing my point. Gary Lineker was someone we idolised, so we were naturally more likely to listen to his pro-educational message than, say, one of the many distinguished professors in current my department. Young girls idolise the WAGs more than anything, so showing that the WAGs both achieved a good standard of education and encourage kids to do the same today can only be a good thing.

They're saying "Look. Here is someone you admire. You want to be like them. They got good grades, so you get them too."
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Postby Titanic on Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:15 am

Stopper wrote:I don't know, I'm surprised by the level of education they do have - in fact, Victoria Beckham is the only one confirmed to not have the 5-GCSEs-at-C-or-above that everyone's supposed to have.

I've never paid that much attention to the press attention on the WAGS, but even then, I've gone away with the impression that they were all thick, vacuous, gold-digging, blah-blah...But that's clearly not the whole story.

I always try to be aware of the insidious effect the media can have on people, but damn, this caught me by surprise.

Yer I gotta agree, I didn know most of them had a decent level of education. Goes to show what the media can do to you.
Major Titanic

Postby AlgyTaylor on Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:22 am

Guiscard wrote:You're spectacularly missing my point. Gary Lineker was someone we idolised, so we were naturally more likely to listen to his pro-educational message than, say, one of the many distinguished professors in current my department. Young girls idolise the WAGs more than anything, so showing that the WAGs both achieved a good standard of education and encourage kids to do the same today can only be a good thing.

They're saying "Look. Here is someone you admire. You want to be like them. They got good grades, so you get them too."

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. If they can get some inspiration from these WAGS to do better at school, go for it.
Corporal AlgyTaylor

Postby Norse on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:10 pm

Titanic wrote:
Yer I gotta agree, I didn know most of them had a decent level of education. Goes to show what the media can do to you.

Yes, agreed!

Them BBC monsters. GRRRRR
Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby sam_levi_11 on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:11 pm

BBC B*STARDS MORE LIKE
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Postby Norse on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:15 pm

Guiscard wrote:
You're spectacularly missing my point. Gary Lineker was someone we idolised, so we were naturally more likely to listen to his pro-educational message than, say, one of the many distinguished professors in current my department. Young girls idolise the WAGs more than anything, so showing that the WAGs both achieved a good standard of education and encourage kids to do the same today can only be a good thing.

Well done guissy, and you are spectacularly missing my points, I hope you understand.

The fact of the matter is, that these girls do not contribute a great deal to society, so in a sense this new quango is gearing young ladies into the thought "oh, well, if i get teh gcse's, im gonna bag me a beckham".

Now, this is neither a positive incentive, nor is it going to leave the said girls in the correct frame of mind.

I mean, bugger me, whats wrong with trying hard to become a doctor, or an astronaut? Why are they not opening these crevises so abundantly to the students....typical poncey idea's, thought up by a motley lot of sociology graduates......such negativity, such negativity.

I cry for you all.
Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby Napoleon Ier on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:35 pm

Stopper wrote:I don't know, I'm surprised by the level of education they do have - in fact, Victoria Beckham is the only one confirmed to not have the 5-GCSEs-at-C-or-above that everyone's supposed to have.

GCSEs are not a mark of intelligence or good culture. They are measure of whether you can regurgitate what the system tells you to, as a friend of mine once put it "whetehr or not you are prepared to fill your mouth with the exam board's cum". The system keeps throwing the same garbage that you memorize and never think about. GCSEs? Sure, you need them for university. But at the end, they serve only to lobotomize and assimilate the population. Education in Britain? Dont make me laugh. Any idiot can get through GCSEs. ANY IDIOT. Im not saying those getting Es are in fact true visionnaires, im saying GCSEs says next to nothing about how cultivated you are and the course itself is a restrictive, simplistic, pathetic epitomisation of all I hate about Britain.
Cadet Napoleon Ier

Location: Exploiting the third world's genetic plant resources.

Postby Norse on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:42 pm

Napoleon, good work.
Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby Napoleon Ier on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:46 pm

Norse wrote:Napoleon, good work.

sarcasm? or do you share my hatred of vile carceran that pollutes generation upon generation of youth with such potentiql, the OCRs the AQAs the Edexcel and the rest of that abhoorant league of ignominy
Cadet Napoleon Ier

Postby Norse on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:47 pm

Napoleon Ier wrote:
Norse wrote:Napoleon, good work.

sarcasm? or do you share my hatred of vile carceran that pollutes generation upon generation of youth with such potentiql, the OCRs the AQAs the Edexcel and the rest of that abhoorant league of ignominy

I am not the sarcastic type...go back and re-read my posts.

I like discussions like these, as it gets guissys knickers in a twist, what with him being a member of the great-unwashed teachers association.
Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby Napoleon Ier on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:52 pm

I am not the sarcastic type...go back and re-read my posts.

Id love to but I have to write GCSE coursework, Im drained of energy
I mean no offence calling you sarcastic, friend

a member of the great-unwashed teachers association.

Where??!! Let me at em!!!
:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: [/quote]
Cadet Napoleon Ier

Postby Norse on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:56 pm

Haha, nice one.

I'm afraid all that you will get from mr guissy is a barrage of spin and dronery.

It gets to the point where you can't really have a proper conversation with the guy, especially when his band of bleating bossom-buddies cacophonically squeal to the same governmental drudge.

It really does drown out any sense......a sad state of affairs really.
Last edited by Norse on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby Norse on Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:57 pm

Good luck with your coursework mate.
Corporal 1st Class Norse

Postby Napoleon Ier on Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:00 pm

Norse wrote:Good luck with your coursework mate.

They've even ruined SHakespeare for me. MacBeth will never be quite the same again :cry:

what do you people want from me! please! just make it stop!
Cadet Napoleon Ier

Postby Guiscard on Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:45 pm

Norse wrote:I like discussions like these, as it gets guissys knickers in a twist, what with him being a member of the great-unwashed teachers association.

I'm a historian, Norse. I'm not a teacher.

I teach a few undergrad classes, but my profession is history.
qwert wrote:Can i ask you something?What is porpose for you to open these Political topic in ConquerClub? Why you mix politic with Risk? Why you not open topic like HOT AND SEXY,or something like that.
Private 1st Class Guiscard

Previous

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,