Conquer Club

Mentally Challenged Discussion ( Issue page 1)

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What should we do with them?

Total votes : 0

Mentally Challenged Discussion ( Issue page 1)

Postby -ShadySoul- on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:26 pm

With all these great discussions we have about 9/11, religion and homophobia, I decided to make a thread about one issue greatly ignored today. Retardation.

Story:
I'm going to compare 2 different countries and their views on the following matter. First off, Russia. In Russia, or pretty much any country that once belonged to USSR, retardation is viewed as a deadly disease, and people in those countries believe that mentally challenged people should be locked away in some far away place, like Siberia, and never be heard from again. It is strictly forbidden, not by government laws but by social ones, for retards to have kids, or a family, or any kind of social relationship. So, poop parents are made to hide their children, and a lot of them never even see daylight outside their window. If, some parent/kid is brave enough to leave the safety of his sanctuary, he is discriminated by many, thus resulting in even bigger mental trauma.
Now a different country, Canada, in here retards are allowed to walk freely, have jobs/ families/normal life, there are many programs to help their conditions, many sponsor programs and so on. The one thing that doesnt change, however, is discrimination from peers. In school, they are laughed at, and made fun of. Every one always blames them, and i even heard some teachers express their hate towards these kids in a verbal manner. I don't exclude my self from this either, i have been known to say/do things that would be offensive even to a normal child. Sure Canada's view seems more civilized but it seems that mentally challenged kids suffer even more discrimination in Canada, then they do in Russia.

My p.o.v.:
I believe in the russian point of view, because i think they are better off just being grouped in one place, never be heard from, then constantly laughed at.

In conclusion:
I want to know your opinion, should they be left alone or should we take matter in our owns hands and do something about it. Or maybe you just don't care, i still want to know about it.

Thanks
Last edited by -ShadySoul- on Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Highest rank: Major
Highest score: 2299
Highest score board place: 582

Winner of Number five's AOR Tournament.

Sergeant 1st Class -ShadySoul-

Postby Simonov on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:32 pm

why first option can't be chosen?
Corporal 1st Class Simonov

Postby -ShadySoul- on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:34 pm

damn i made a mistake in the pole...wait a sec i will try to fix it

Postby Frigidus on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:36 pm

Siberia wins!
Sergeant Frigidus

Postby Simonov on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:38 pm

depends on the condition this people are suffering from. also i believe their family should take care of them, not lock them up far away from sight... i say let them live among us if cared for by the family or if they have no one to look after them put them in specialized institutions which would provide adequate care...

Postby -ShadySoul- on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:41 pm

Simonov wrote:depends on the condition this people are suffering from. also i believe their family should take care of them, not lock them up far away from sight... i say let them live among us if cared for by the family or if they have no one to look after them put them in specialized institutions which would provide adequate care...

but sometimes the family is too scared to even admit they have a retarded child...what are they to do then?

Postby Stopper on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:42 pm

I'd say I'm all for "mainstreaming", as I think it's called in education in the UK these days.

I also question the OP's qualifications to accurately assess the general Russian view and treatment of people with learning difficulties.

Plus, what is a "poop parent"?
Lieutenant Stopper

Postby -ShadySoul- on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:44 pm

Stopper wrote:I'd say I'm all for "mainstreaming", as I think it's called in education in the UK these days.

I also question the OP's qualifications to accurately assess the general Russian view and treatment of people with learning difficulties.

2 questions:
Whats mainstreaming?
and what;s OP?

Postby Simonov on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:45 pm

-ShadySoul- wrote:
Simonov wrote:depends on the condition this people are suffering from. also i believe their family should take care of them, not lock them up far away from sight... i say let them live among us if cared for by the family or if they have no one to look after them put them in specialized institutions which would provide adequate care...

but sometimes the family is too scared to even admit they have a retarded child...what are they to do then?

institutions, these people can function pretty well in special community with people who would take care of them. i am against letting them live as independent individuals if they're not capable of that.

Postby Stopper on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:50 pm

-ShadySoul- wrote:
Stopper wrote:I'd say I'm all for "mainstreaming", as I think it's called in education in the UK these days.

2 questions:
Whats mainstreaming?
and what;s OP?

It's specific to education - I'd say it's the general effort to get as many children with disabilities as is practically possible into the same education scheme as "normal" children. I'm not an expert as far as this is concerned, nor am I a teacher or social worker or anything, but I've personal experience of it.

The OP would be the original poster: that is, you.
Lieutenant Stopper

Postby Gold Knight on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:51 pm

At least this discussion is ... different... :?

Some girl in one of my classes screamed out in a debate about this. She started stating we should just kill them all because they were useless to society, and it made the class really awkward...seeing as we were next to the special ed classroom. :lol:
xxtig12683xx wrote:yea, my fav part was being in the sewer riding a surfboard and wacking these alien creatures.

shit was badass
Captain Gold Knight

Postby -ShadySoul- on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:51 pm

Simonov wrote:
-ShadySoul- wrote:

institutions, these people can function pretty well in special community with people who would take care of them. i am against letting them live as independent individuals if they're not capable of that.

Well, just to clear things up, what would you do if:
A boy, who has a sever case of ADHD, whos family abandoned him, and no therapies session helped him, would live among us. He can still function, he can walk, talk, work, but no way to be normal and no future work opportunities. Would you send him to an institution, forcefully, or let him be, and suffer?

Postby The Weird One on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:54 pm

sheepofdumb wrote:I'm not scum, just a threat to the town. There's a difference, thank you very much.

ga7 wrote: I'll keep my vote where it should be but just in case Vote Strike Wolf AND f*ck FLAMINGOS f*ck THEM HARD
Sergeant The Weird One

Postby dustn64 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:55 pm

Are you kidding me? why would killing them or putting them in isolation even be an option? They are people not aliens.
Sergeant 1st Class dustn64

Postby -ShadySoul- on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:56 pm

ok, now that i have cleared things up :D
In Canada, they also deal with these kids using "mainstreaming", they let them into the normal schools, with normal children, and i have already explained how that tactic turned out.
About my representations, all of that is based on my observations and experiences as a USSR civilian :D, i did not do much research i just said what i saw during my first 13 years :D,

PS i meant to say poor parent :D, but poop works too

Postby Simonov on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:57 pm

-ShadySoul- wrote:A boy, who has a sever case of ADHD, whos family abandoned him, and no therapies session helped him, would live among us. He can still function, he can walk, talk, work, but no way to be normal and no future work opportunities. Would you send him to an institution, forcefully, or let him be, and suffer?

if he can get by on his own and is mentally capable (what he is), i would let him choose. don't u believe locking him up against his will would be even greater torment. it would only make things easier on the rest of his community - but should we lock up other troublesome or different people? let's say lock up the stubborn, black, gay etc.
Last edited by Simonov on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby -ShadySoul- on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:57 pm

Gold Knight wrote:At least this discussion is ... different... :?

Some girl in one of my classes screamed out in a debate about this. She started stating we should just kill them all because they were useless to society, and it made the class really awkward...seeing as we were next to the special ed classroom. :lol:

lol
owned :D

Postby -ShadySoul- on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:00 pm

dustn64 wrote:Are you kidding me? why would killing them or putting them in isolation even be an option? They are people not aliens.

No, its just another form of discrimination.
Are black people aliens? Or Asians? Or gays? No, we however ignore those facts and follow our believes blindly.

Postby -ShadySoul- on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:01 pm

Simonov wrote:
-ShadySoul- wrote:A boy, who has a sever case of ADHD, whos family abandoned him, and no therapies session helped him, would live among us. He can still function, he can walk, talk, work, but no way to be normal and no future work opportunities. Would you send him to an institution, forcefully, or let him be, and suffer?

if he can get by on his own and is mentally capable (what he is), i would let him choose. don't u believe locking him up against his will would be even greater torment. it would only make things easier on the rest of his community - but should we lock up other troublesome or different people? let's say lock up the stubborn, black, gay etc.

Yes i do believe it would be a torment for him, but it might make his neighbors feel better or safer

Postby dcowboys055 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:01 pm

Excluding them, or exiling, or whatever other sick options you guys are saying are absolutely 100% despicable. It's so utterly stupid it doesn't deserve an argument.
XI since August '06
Captain dcowboys055

Postby dustn64 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:03 pm

This is ridiculous, people that would even consider the option of containing them are utterly heartless. This is just Pissing me off.

Postby -ShadySoul- on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:05 pm

dustn64 wrote:This is ridiculous, people that would even consider the option of containing them are utterly heartless. This is just Pissing me off.

well...that might be just you, cause, like i said, i have seen a lot of cases when mentally challenged kids were encouraged to GTFO

Postby Simonov on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:07 pm

-ShadySoul- wrote:Yes i do believe it would be a torment for him, but it might make his neighbors feel better or safer

i strongly disagree with you on this one. should we lock up handicaped then also since they're more susceptible to mental disordera due to their condition? you have to look on this subject with more empaty man...

Postby dustn64 on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:08 pm

-ShadySoul- wrote:
dustn64 wrote:This is ridiculous, people that would even consider the option of containing them are utterly heartless. This is just Pissing me off.

well...that might be just you, cause, like i said, i have seen a lot of cases when mentally challenged kids were encouraged to GTFO
Who would do that? The Nazis?

Postby Simonov on Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:12 pm

dustn64 wrote:
-ShadySoul- wrote:

Who would do that? The Nazis?

don't insult the Nazi, i believe they cared pretty well for mentally challenged members of their "arian" race. they just had this jewphobia problem.. :-s

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,