Conquer Club

Happy Thanksgiving - Old School

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Happy Thanksgiving - Old School

Postby Iz Man on Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:54 am

Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow.

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me to "recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enable to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d day of October, A.D. 1789."

-George Washington
"Give me a woman who loves beer and I will conquer the world."
-Kaiser Wilhelm II
Lieutenant Iz Man

Postby 2dimes on Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:02 am

No turkey/beer paring recommendations?

Happy Thanks Giving Iz!
Corporal 2dimes

Postby glide on Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:13 am

Hobbley Riffinbimble my American friends......I can still taste the turkey from our Thanksgiving....weeks ago..... :lol: :lol:
damn feather....ptueee.... :wink:
Gatekeeper, and Proud Member of XI Games
Newt Hunter
Corporal glide

Location: 7km outside the thriving metropolis of Centreville, New Brunswick!

Re: Happy Thanksgiving - Old School

Postby Killer619 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:20 am

Iz Man wrote:Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow.

"Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor; and Whereas both Houses of Congress have, by their joint committee, requested me to "recommend to the people of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer, to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many and signal favors of Almighty God, especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness:"

Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be devoted by the people of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being who is the beneficent author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be; that we may then all unite in rendering unto Him our sincere and humble thanks for His kind care and protection of the people of this country previous to their becoming a nation; for the signal and manifold mercies and the favorable interpositions of His providence in the course and conclusion of the late war; for the great degree of tranquility, union, and plenty which we have since enjoyed; for the peaceable and rational manner in which we have been enable to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national one now lately instituted for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed, and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and, in general, for all the great and various favors which He has been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions; to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually; to render our National Government a blessing to all the people by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed; to protect and guide all sovereigns and nations (especially such as have shown kindness to us), and to bless them with good governments, peace, and concord; to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the increase of science among them and us; and, generally to grant unto all mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as He alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand, at the city of New York, the 3d day of October, A.D. 1789."

-George Washington

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
im supposed to read all of that?
Tournament Wins:
NBA Playoffs 2008
Sergeant Killer619

Postby Iz Man on Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:35 am

2dimes wrote:No turkey/beer paring recommendations?

Happy Thanks Giving Iz!

How interesting that you ask :twisted:

Personally, I like to grab a bottle (ok, several bottles) of "special" brew to go along with the annual gorge-fest.

This year I grabbed a 750ml of
Rodenbach Grand Cru:
Origin: Province of West Flanders, Belgium
Style: Flemish Red Ale
Alcohol: 6.0% ABV

ImageWhile the "regular" version of this famous Flemish "Red Ale" is a blend of old & young beers, the Grand Cru is a straight bottling of the long-matured, stronger component. It is aged in ceiling-high oak tuns for at least two years. The result is a lively (what the wrapper calls "racy") bouquet, with vanilla-like oakiness that extends into the palate; passion fruit flavors; and a clean, sharp acidity like that found in sour cream. Rodenbach Grand Cru would feature in any connoisser's list of the world's top ten beers.

I also have an 8-year old bottle of homemade mead sent to me by a CC favorite Koolbak that I will finally break open. (He's been on my ass about drinking it).

As far as recommendations for a big turkey meal beer; I personally would go for a quality Belgian ale, preferably Trappist.
Chimay, Westmalle, and Orval come to mind.
-Kaiser Wilhelm II
Lieutenant Iz Man

Postby Iz Man on Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:37 am

Killer619 wrote:
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
im supposed to read all of that?

Only if you want to
-Kaiser Wilhelm II
Lieutenant Iz Man

Postby dustn64 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:00 pm

Happy Thanksgiving
Sergeant 1st Class dustn64

Postby Gold Knight on Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:44 pm

Iz Man wrote:
2dimes wrote:No turkey/beer paring recommendations?

Happy Thanks Giving Iz!

How interesting that you ask :twisted:

Personally, I like to grab a bottle (ok, several bottles) of "special" brew to go along with the annual gorge-fest.

This year I grabbed a 750ml of
Rodenbach Grand Cru:
Origin: Province of West Flanders, Belgium
Style: Flemish Red Ale
Alcohol: 6.0% ABV

ImageWhile the "regular" version of this famous Flemish "Red Ale" is a blend of old & young beers, the Grand Cru is a straight bottling of the long-matured, stronger component. It is aged in ceiling-high oak tuns for at least two years. The result is a lively (what the wrapper calls "racy") bouquet, with vanilla-like oakiness that extends into the palate; passion fruit flavors; and a clean, sharp acidity like that found in sour cream. Rodenbach Grand Cru would feature in any connoisser's list of the world's top ten beers.

I also have an 8-year old bottle of homemade mead sent to me by a CC favorite Koolbak that I will finally break open. (He's been on my ass about drinking it).

As far as recommendations for a big turkey meal beer; I personally would go for a quality Belgian ale, preferably Trappist.
Chimay, Westmalle, and Orval come to mind.

Way to be the CC Drunk on Thanksgiving :lol:
xxtig12683xx wrote:yea, my fav part was being in the sewer riding a surfboard and wacking these alien creatures.

shit was badass
Captain Gold Knight

Postby Iz Man on Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:07 pm

Gold Knight wrote:
Way to be the CC Drunk on Thanksgiving :lol:

BOOYAH !!

Hey, the pilgrims LOVED beer!

I'll give a public "critique" here on CC of Koolbak's mead.

I'm sure he'll appreciate that.
-Kaiser Wilhelm II
Lieutenant Iz Man

Postby MeDeFe on Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:10 pm

George Washington wrote:Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be [Thanksgiving Day blablabla]

But the 26th is a monday!
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby Napoleon Ier on Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:15 pm

Iz Man wrote:Wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving tomorrow.

-George Washington

superb...I had never heard of that...
Cadet Napoleon Ier

Location: Exploiting the third world's genetic plant resources.

Postby 0ojakeo0 on Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:20 pm

gobble gobble
hecter wrote:Hey... If your donkey eats my roosters feet, that means I have two feet of my cock in your ass.
Corporal 1st Class 0ojakeo0

Postby muy_thaiguy on Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:32 pm

MeDeFe wrote:
George Washington wrote:Now, therefore, I do recommend and assign Thursday, the 26th day of November next, to be [Thanksgiving Day blablabla]

But the 26th is a monday!
That was back in 1789, and he was talking about the one in 1790 I believe.

Happy Thanksgiving! I can't wait for some Turkey. =P~
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

What, you expected something deep or flashy?
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy

Postby Minister Masket on Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:35 pm

You Yanks and your karazee holidays!
Independance Day for beating the Brits...
Thanksgiving for nicking the land of the Natives...

What next? Iraq Day?
Victrix Fortuna Sapientia

Private Minister Masket

Postby beezer on Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:44 pm

Happy Thanksgiving, Iz! :D
Corporal 1st Class beezer

Postby muy_thaiguy on Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:45 pm

Minister Masket wrote:You Yanks and your karazee holidays!

What next? Iraq Day?
Considering you guys celebrate a day where Parliament was almost blown sky high? :lol:
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby Napoleon Ier on Wed Nov 21, 2007 6:44 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:

What next? Iraq Day?
Considering you guys celebrate a day where Parliament was almost blown sky high? :lol:

Not that I celebrate it obviously, but I believe the idea is to celebrate that it wasn't.,andthat ittakeson a wider meaning of fidelity to the Anglican Church and he monarch's supremacy.
Cadet Napoleon Ier

Postby DaGip on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:38 am

What next? Iraq Day?

Thanksgiving is not for defeating the Native Americans, but it is giving thanks to them and to God and for everything.

If it wasn't for the Native American Indians...all the piligrims would have perished, it is just unfortunate that the ancestors of the piligrims would go on to steal the lands of these American Indians. But the work and will of God is His alone, and is not for humans to understand.

I thank God for all His bounty, my family for all their help and patience, my daughter for her understanding, my brother for his service, my country for our current prosperity (however, there will never be an Iraq Day), the Native Americans for their noble gesture (not the one your thinking!) and truly compassionate hearts, the Mexicans for all their hard (but illegal) work, the Chinese for lead in our children's toys, the African Americans for Hip-Hop and peanut butter, the Democrats for starting the Klu Klux Klan, and to the Republicans who fought against it!

Happy Thanksgiving!
Army of GOD wrote:This thread is now about my large penis
Sergeant 1st Class DaGip

Postby muy_thaiguy on Thu Nov 22, 2007 1:59 am

DaGip wrote:

What next? Iraq Day?

Thanksgiving is not for defeating the Native Americans, but it is giving thanks to them and to God and for everything.

If it wasn't for the Native American Indians...all the piligrims would have perished, it is just unfortunate that the ancestors of the piligrims would go on to steal the lands of these American Indians. But the work and will of God is His alone, and is not for humans to understand.

I thank God for all His bounty, my family for all their help and patience, my daughter for her understanding, my brother for his service, my country for our current prosperity (however, there will never be an Iraq Day), the Native Americans for their noble gesture (not the one your thinking!) and truly compassionate hearts, the Mexicans for all their hard (but illegal) work, the Chinese for lead in our children's toys, the African Americans for Hip-Hop and peanut butter, the Democrats for starting the Klu Klux Klan, and to the Republicans who fought against it!

Happy Thanksgiving!
The word you are looking for is, "descendents." :wink:
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby muy_thaiguy on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:00 am

Happy Thanksgiving! :D

Finally midnight my time.
"Eh, whatever."
-Anonymous

Postby DaGip on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:06 am

muy_thaiguy wrote:
DaGip wrote:

What next? Iraq Day?

Happy Thanksgiving!
The word you are looking for is, "descendents." :wink:

Oh,yeah...thanks for the edit. : :oops: :lol:
Sergeant 1st Class DaGip

Postby DaGip on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:07 am

DaGip wrote:

What next? Iraq Day?

If it wasn't for the Native American Indians...all the piligrims would have perished, it is just unfortunate that the descendents of the piligrims would go on to steal the lands of these American Indians. But the work and will of God is His alone, and is not for humans to understand.

Happy Thanksgiving!

edit.
Sergeant 1st Class DaGip

Postby 2dimes on Thu Nov 22, 2007 2:01 pm

Happy turkey day iz, and all y'all.
Corporal 2dimes

Postby Backglass on Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:49 pm

The Pro-Tip®, SkyDaddy® and Image are registered trademarks of Backglass Heavy Industries.
Corporal 1st Class Backglass

Postby Napoleon Ier on Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:12 pm

wouldnt trust him with a meat cleaver anywhere nearmy family :lol:
Cadet Napoleon Ier

Next

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,