Conquer Club

Consultants - What do they do?

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Consultants - What do they do?

Postby graeme89 on Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:45 pm

The 1st minister for Scotland hired a consultancy company to come up with a new slogan for Scotland. After paying £120,000 and months of deliberation they came up with this amazing motif:

" Welcome to Scotland "

I've seen consultants come into companies and rip them apart. My question is, if the standing management of a company are so incompetent that they have to hire a consultant then shouldn't they be replaced for that reason?
Sergeant graeme89

Postby FiveThreeEight on Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:55 pm

If a consultant did that and got away with it, then I say congrats to him. Pure genius. And, yes, I believe you are correct. If the person in charge of Scotland can't even come up with a simple slogan for their own country, then how do you think they will handle other more important matters?
Corporal 1st Class FiveThreeEight

Postby unriggable on Sat Dec 01, 2007 9:40 pm

Marriage Counselors. They bring couples back together by mutual hatred against the marriage counselor.
Cook unriggable

Postby d.gishman on Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:45 pm

The company didn't just come up with the slogan.. they were in charge of the whole rebranding campaign, but yeah i agree with you, they totally ripped scotland off
Sergeant 1st Class d.gishman

Re: Consultants - What do they do?

Postby bryguy on Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:03 pm

graeme89 wrote:The 1st minister for Scotland hired a consultancy company to come up with a new slogan for Scotland. After paying £120,000 and months of deliberation they came up with this amazing motif:

" Welcome to Scotland "

I've seen consultants come into companies and rip them apart. My question is, if the standing management of a company are so incompetent that they have to hire a consultant then shouldn't they be replaced for that reason?

yep and now im rich :) okay jk jk, that wasnt me, wish it was though
Corporal bryguy

Postby Harijan on Sun Dec 02, 2007 10:44 am

In that situation the consulting company would come in and start with market surveys of actual tourist. The consultants would inteview hundreds or even thousands of foreign tourist to determine what those people have in common. The results would look something like this:

90% of tourist to scottland have the following common charaterstics.
1. income above $100,000/year
2. Are between the ages of 45 and 65
3. Speak English as a primary language
4. Travel to foreign countries on average twice a year for vacation

80% of the tourist to scottland have the following common characterstics
1. are married
2. are empty nesters
3. Are decendants of scotts
4. Are citizens of England

70% Blah blah blah.

Next, the marketing consultants have access to huge databases of information about everyone in first wold countries. The consultants scrub these databases to find people who fit in the 90% category, 80% category and so on.

Once the consultants have a large group of people that fit the description of 90%, 80% and so forth they start contacting them for market surveys. The people come in and look at anywhere from 3 to 10 ad campaigns and slogans and rate the appeal of each one.

The consultants then analyze the results of these surveys and propose the most appealing slogan and ad campaign that is likely to draw tourist.

So if the consultants were successful. Those people who are most likely to consider vacationing in scottland will be persuaded by the slogan "welcome to scottland" and the ad campaign that goes with that slogan.

That is what consultants (in that situation) do.
Captain Harijan

Postby Glork on Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:41 pm

I'm a consultant and I still can't explain what I do. :/
New Recruit Glork

Postby graeme89 on Sun Dec 02, 2007 8:57 pm

Harijan wrote:In that situation the consulting company would come in and start with market surveys of actual tourist. The consultants would inteview hundreds or even thousands of foreign tourist to determine what those people have in common. The results would look something like this:

90% of tourist to scottland have the following common charaterstics.
1. income above $100,000/year
2. Are between the ages of 45 and 65
3. Speak English as a primary language
4. Travel to foreign countries on average twice a year for vacation

80% of the tourist to scottland have the following common characterstics
1. are married
2. are empty nesters
3. Are decendants of scotts
4. Are citizens of England

70% Blah blah blah.

Next, the marketing consultants have access to huge databases of information about everyone in first wold countries. The consultants scrub these databases to find people who fit in the 90% category, 80% category and so on.

Once the consultants have a large group of people that fit the description of 90%, 80% and so forth they start contacting them for market surveys. The people come in and look at anywhere from 3 to 10 ad campaigns and slogans and rate the appeal of each one.

The consultants then analyze the results of these surveys and propose the most appealing slogan and ad campaign that is likely to draw tourist.

So if the consultants were successful. Those people who are most likely to consider vacationing in scottland will be persuaded by the slogan "welcome to scottland" and the ad campaign that goes with that slogan.

That is what consultants (in that situation) do.

But we already had that slogan, it's written on the border crossing and at the airports. Getting a huge payout for plaguirising is just a rip off. Ok the slogan " welcome to Scotland " may not have been copyrighted but still, it's really weak. To be honest I think it's taking the piss.
Sergeant graeme89

Postby The Weird One on Sun Dec 02, 2007 11:58 pm

consultants consult :roll:
sheepofdumb wrote:I'm not scum, just a threat to the town. There's a difference, thank you very much.

ga7 wrote: I'll keep my vote where it should be but just in case Vote Strike Wolf AND f*ck FLAMINGOS f*ck THEM HARD
Sergeant The Weird One

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,