Internet Speed Test--

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Internet Speed Test--

Postby dittoeevee8888 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:03 pm

Sergeant 1st Class dittoeevee8888

Medals: 36
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (15)

Postby Rainman23 on Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:16 pm

Corporal 1st Class Rainman23

Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby fantasianasian on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:40 am

General fantasianasian

Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3)

Postby Scott-Land on Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:48 am

fantasianasian wrote:Image

That's the oddest result I've seen outside of Frop's million kbs.....

You're the fastest player on the site.
Major Scott-Land

Medals: 43
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (4) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Frop on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:34 am

Scott-Land wrote:

Kilobits per second does not equal 'speed' as you experience it on CC. Latency (in ms) and your PC hardware are the most relevant factors.
Captain Frop

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (4) General Contribution (1)

Postby RashidJelzin on Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:59 am

Frop wrote:

:shock:
Freakin' Dutch. That's so fast, you don't even have to produce the cheap redtube flicks... they're just there.
When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself. - Peter OToole
Lieutenant RashidJelzin

Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (3) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (1)

Postby Scott-Land on Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:10 am

Frop wrote:
Scott-Land wrote:

Kilobits per second does not equal 'speed' as you experience it on CC. Latency (in ms) and your PC hardware are the most relevant factors.

Yeah Fan had said he just bought a top of the line super duper laptop.

I figure hardware to be an important factor but what's the difference between ping at 35 ms vs say 100 ms outside of the obvious time difference. How relative is it to real time before it's physically noticeable as CC only registers 1 second intervals.
Major Scott-Land

Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (4) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) Map Contribution (1) Tournament Contribution (1) General Contribution (1)

Postby Seulessliathan on Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:03 am

lol, you see why i prefer seq, casual^^
Brigadier Seulessliathan

Medals: 54
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (12) Challenge Achievement (1)

Postby Phlaim on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:27 am

Make the test to a Texas server instead, Seul. If you'd have that ping to the CC server you could easily be taking 5 terrs in a sec with clickies.
Highest Score: 3868
Colonel Phlaim

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (2)

Postby Jeff Hardy on Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:35 am

not great going over to texas...
but im not that slow so i think hardware has a lot to do with it
General Jeff Hardy

Location: Matt Hardy's account, you can play against me there
Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby Seulessliathan on Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:21 pm

Phlaim wrote:Make the test to a Texas server instead, Seul. If you'd have that ping to the CC server you could easily be taking 5 terrs in a sec with clickies.

Brigadier Seulessliathan

Medals: 54
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (12) Challenge Achievement (1)

Postby Scott-Land on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:10 pm

Seulessliathan wrote:
Phlaim wrote:Make the test to a Texas server instead, Seul. If you'd have that ping to the CC server you could easily be taking 5 terrs in a sec with clickies.

ooops....
Major Scott-Land

Postby reggie_mac on Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:51 pm

Hardware generally doesn't have much to do with your internet speed, its all about what you have running, and how quickly it can process the incomming info.

Also, you have to remember that net speed is measured in kilo-bits (thousand of 1's) per second, where as your network card which attaches to your modem/router is in mega-bytes (millions of 1's in groups of 8.).

However, if your running say a p3, with 256mb of ram, Xp and say Norton internet security your processing speed is going to be well, rather crap.

At the end of the day, most bottle necks come at the Modem/Router. However there are a few things you can do to help increase the speed.
1. Turn off Automatic Updates, this will stop you XP/Vista polling the M$ servers looking for updates etc (make sure to turn your office ones off to), or set to manual
2. Turn off your program auto updates (Java, Anti-virus, Acrobat, etc) again same polling thing, or set to manual.
3. Check the settings of your web-shield or what ever your anti-virus calls it, as it will check all data coming in before it is released to your machine, and add CC to the list of trusted sites/zones.
4. Make sure you don't have any P2P software running,
5. Clear your cache, and check your cache setting. (I'd get a program called CCleaner for this as it does a better job than anything that M$ ships)
6. Blow out your heat sinks (seriously, go down to your hardware store, by some caned air, whip your cover off your computer and blow the shit out, its amazing how much performance can be recovered by having a machine that's not over-heating)

A good way to check on how much stuff is using your internet connection is to open your command prompt (XP start -> run -> cmd, VISTA type cmd into the search box) once its open type in netstat -an if there are more than say 25-30 lines then you have some internet issues.
Soviet Invaders: Space Invaders, it's not just a game
New Zealand Map - Foundry
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby Frop on Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:05 pm

1/2/3. Great tips, but I'd like to add that they are meant for more experienced users (ask a techy friend if you have no idea what you're doing). Another downside is the fact that your software won't be updated regularly, but except for Windows you should still get notifications every 2 weeks or so to 'manually' update your antivirus/firewall software.
4. Even if you have P2P or other downloads running (web, newsgroups, FTP, etc.) make sure you cap your upload speed (and sometimes download speed as well). A rough estimate which allows for overhead is to cap your upload speed (if applicable) to 80% of your maximum value (i.e. if you have 100 kb/s upload, limit it to 75 kb/s).
5. CCleaner kicks ass. It's free, safe and simple. Get it here. Make sure you exclude the CC cookie at Options/Cookies if you run Dice Analyzer!
6. Remember to do this every 6 months to 1 year.
Captain Frop

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (2) General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (4) General Contribution (1)

Postby ParadiceCity9 on Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:31 pm

Corporal 1st Class ParadiceCity9

Medals: 49
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (3)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby cena-rules on Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:03 am

19:41:22 ‹jakewilliams› I was a pedo
Lieutenant cena-rules

Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (1)
General Contribution (1)

Postby niMic on Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:12 am

That's not the full capabilities of my connection, though. I've gotten download speeds up to 10.8 MB/s.

Colonel niMic

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (4) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (3)
Clan Achievement (17)

Postby gdeangel on Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:30 am

... by the look of thinks, pretty much average. Looks like I'm not going into the freestyle hall of fame anytime soon!
Sergeant gdeangel

Medals: 12
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1) Tournament Contribution (2)

Postby DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID on Wed Oct 08, 2008 4:07 pm

those are my results without dial up :D
Major DAT_WAT_SHE_SAID

Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (3)

Postby Fruitcake on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:47 am

Dowstairs in the Kitchen...

Upstairs in my Study

Both on the same mobile broadband toggle.

Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
Colonel Fruitcake

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2)

Postby Tisha on Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:53 am

Fruitcake wrote:Dowstairs in the Kitchen...

that one is pretty pathetic..lol
Major Tisha

Medals: 57
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2) Tournament Achievement (2) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (7) Map Contribution (6)
General Contribution (3)

Postby karelpietertje on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:08 am

I tested from my home (The Netherlands) to Dallas.
It is way slower than say Scott or anyone else, but in the game, I am pretty quick. I guess it isn't just about the net speed. It's about how your browser deals with it. And, reflexes are useful too. you can gain milliseconds with a better connection, but whole seconds by clicking just in the right time!
Anyway, these are my results:

I also tested to a server that's closer, it's pretty much equal:

greetz,
KP
Colonel karelpietertje

Medals: 61
Conqueror Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (4) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Battle Royale Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (8)
General Contribution (2)

Postby Fruitcake on Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:27 am

Goodness, it seems I was carrying a lot of nonsense.

I don't know much about these computer things...so I dowloaded that cleaner Frop recommended and ran it.

These are now the results:

Kitchen:

Study

Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
Colonel Fruitcake

Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (2)

Postby Karl_R_Kroenen on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:33 am

Sergeant 1st Class Karl_R_Kroenen

Medals: 41
Conquer Cup Bronze Achievement (1) Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (4) Clan Achievement (6)
General Contribution (4)

Postby reggie_mac on Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:07 am

Karl_R_Kroenen wrote:Image

I hope your router over heats and cause your computer to burst into flames :twisted:
Soviet Invaders: Space Invaders, it's not just a game
New Zealand Map - Foundry
"You can please all of the people some of the time, or some of the people all of the time, but not all of the people all of the time"
Captain reggie_mac

Medals: 18
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (2)

PreviousNext

Return to Babble-On Five