Bias in the Media, LOL

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby oVo on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:41 am

OR . . . if you believe in a loving and forgiving GOD,
the athiest goes where all who "pass on" go.
User avatar
Major oVo
 
Posts: 3843
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: Antarctica
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:43 am

Unfortunately for the atheist, the God of Catholicism, while a forgiving God, is only forgiving if you ask for forgiveness.
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6239
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: ALL media is biased.

Postby The1exile on Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:55 am

thegreekdog wrote:In any event, I have no problem with atheists. They are pretty brave if you really think about it - If the atheist is right, he dies and gets put into the ground (a scary thought indeed). If the atheist is wrong, he goes to Hell. It's a lose-lose situation.

This is a false dichotomy. Apart from the fact that we all die and get put in a hole in the ground (or whatever alternative is chosen for your corpse) regardless of faith, the declaration that the souls of all atheists will burn in hell seems to me to onl;y be espoused by holier-than-thou religious types. If you asked a Moslem what would happen to xians, most of them would burn in hell. The same goes the other way around. Those who preach that God is forgiving must concede that in this hypothetical scenario when I die and face God in heaven for not believing, for him to be forgiving and to condemn me to hell for being too ignorant to accept his existence are mutually exclusive.

I will happily accept the existence of a god who actually exists before me. I will not ask the forgiveness of a god that doesn't exist and whose followers try to care me with "ooh he's gonna get ya" and cast it simultaneously as a vindictive and forgiving figure.
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant The1exile
 
Posts: 7140
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:01 pm
Location: Devastation
Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)

Re: ALL media is biased.

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:01 am

The1exile wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:In any event, I have no problem with atheists. They are pretty brave if you really think about it - If the atheist is right, he dies and gets put into the ground (a scary thought indeed). If the atheist is wrong, he goes to Hell. It's a lose-lose situation.

This is a false dichotomy. Apart from the fact that we all die and get put in a hole in the ground (or whatever alternative is chosen for your corpse) regardless of faith, the declaration that the souls of all atheists will burn in hell seems to me to onl;y be espoused by holier-than-thou religious types. If you asked a Moslem what would happen to xians, most of them would burn in hell. The same goes the other way around. Those who preach that God is forgiving must concede that in this hypothetical scenario when I die and face God in heaven for not believing, for him to be forgiving and to condemn me to hell for being too ignorant to accept his existence are mutually exclusive.

I will happily accept the existence of a god who actually exists before me. I will not ask the forgiveness of a god that doesn't exist and whose followers try to care me with "ooh he's gonna get ya" and cast it simultaneously as a vindictive and forgiving figure.


Happily accepting the existence of a god you cannot see if the foundation of all religions - namely, faith. And I'm not one to say "Ooh he's gonna get ya," and I won't rip atheists. What you believe is your choice. I was simply pointing out, not in a sarcastic manner, that atheists should seem brave to someone who is religious. Unfortunately, many religious people do not practice what they preach - rather than turning the other cheek, many religious-types try to bully and coerce others to be religious. That's not something that Jesus taught... he never said, "Ooh, my dad is going to get you." Simply put, there is a dichotomy, but it is between the actions of man and the word of God. Man tends to belittle or war against those who don't believe; God wants us to forgive and accept them.

In any event, to get to your original point, I don't know what God will do or not do relative to an atheist. I don't know what God will or won't do to me. I have faith that if I live a good life, am kind to others, and ask forgiveness for my sins, God will accept me. I guess I'll see (or not see, as the case may be).
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6239
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby MeDeFe on Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:40 pm

thegreekdog wrote:I agree with some of your thoughts, but not others. The United States was surely not founded by atheists. We can just look to the founding documents and other writings, as well as my favorite quote by Benjamin Franklin ("Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy").

He also said that the English are great guzzlers of beer and that it's better to build lighthouses than churches, or something to that effect. Ben Franklin said a great deal of things, I should know, I've read his autobiography.


And @ both thegreekdog and especially captain.crazy, using terms like "god" or "created" does not make a person religous, it makes them someone who employs religious terminology to make a point.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
User avatar
Major MeDeFe
 
Posts: 8098
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:48 am
Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.
Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) General Contribution (7)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:25 pm

MeDeFe wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I agree with some of your thoughts, but not others. The United States was surely not founded by atheists. We can just look to the founding documents and other writings, as well as my favorite quote by Benjamin Franklin ("Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy").

He also said that the English are great guzzlers of beer and that it's better to build lighthouses than churches, or something to that effect. Ben Franklin said a great deal of things, I should know, I've read his autobiography.


And @ both thegreekdog and especially captain.crazy, using terms like "god" or "created" does not make a person religous, it makes them someone who employs religious terminology to make a point.


I'm unsure, but did I use the term "god" and "created" in reference to making a person religious? If I did, I did not mean to. Presumably, creationism can be supported by those who are not religious. Additionally, people who are religious may not believe in creationism.

That's not what I'm arguing in any event. I'm saying that (1) captain.crazy is illogical and (2) oVo is wrong regarding his assumptions on the founding fathers and the Constitution.

Finally, I've read the most recently published biography of Ben Franklin (but not his autobiography). I guess your point is that he said a lot of things? My point was that he, among others, were not necessarily atheists (I do not presume to know whether George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, John Adams, et. al. believed in God, Jesus, Allah, or the Buddha). I do know that their writings were peppered with references to God.
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6239
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby MeDeFe on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:06 pm

thegreekdog wrote:I'm unsure, but did I use the term "god" and "created" in reference to making a person religious? If I did, I did not mean to. Presumably, creationism can be supported by those who are not religious. Additionally, people who are religious may not believe in creationism.

The blue makes sense, the red does not.

That's not what I'm arguing in any event. I'm saying that (1) captain.crazy is illogical and (2) oVo is wrong regarding his assumptions on the founding fathers and the Constitution.

Finally, I've read the most recently published biography of Ben Franklin (but not his autobiography). I guess your point is that he said a lot of things? My point was that he, among others, were not necessarily atheists (I do not presume to know whether George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, John Adams, et. al. believed in God, Jesus, Allah, or the Buddha). I do know that their writings were peppered with references to God.

Oh, your founding fathers were probably not outright atheists, or at least not all of them, but many of them were certainly sceptics (heard about the Jefferson bible? 46 pages after all miracles and inconsistencies were clipped out). Incidentally, in 1831 an episcopal minister complained that "Among all our presidents from Washington downward, not one was a professor of religion, at least not of more than Unitarianism."


My point about Franklin is that he was a politician and opportunist, through and through, do not take anything from him at face value. The same likely goes for the rest of the bunch. "When in Rome, do as the Romans" and when in Religionland, do as the religious. If that includes using their terminology, which had been around for some 1500 years by then and quickly gaining secular meanings in addition to or even superseding the original ones or had become parts of figures of speech, so be it.
This does not make them bad persons, but I think it's a more accurate portrayal than one of them as wise, freedom-loving men with wholly good intentions gathering and declaring that one of the biggest (or even the biggest?) British colonies was independent, effective immediately.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
User avatar
Major MeDeFe
 
Posts: 8098
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:48 am
Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.
Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) General Contribution (7)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:12 pm

MeDeFe wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I'm unsure, but did I use the term "god" and "created" in reference to making a person religious? If I did, I did not mean to. Presumably, creationism can be supported by those who are not religious. Additionally, people who are religious may not believe in creationism.

The blue makes sense, the red does not.

That's not what I'm arguing in any event. I'm saying that (1) captain.crazy is illogical and (2) oVo is wrong regarding his assumptions on the founding fathers and the Constitution.

Finally, I've read the most recently published biography of Ben Franklin (but not his autobiography). I guess your point is that he said a lot of things? My point was that he, among others, were not necessarily atheists (I do not presume to know whether George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Paine, John Adams, et. al. believed in God, Jesus, Allah, or the Buddha). I do know that their writings were peppered with references to God.

Oh, your founding fathers were probably not outright atheists, or at least not all of them, but many of them were certainly sceptics (heard about the Jefferson bible? 46 pages after all miracles and inconsistencies were clipped out). Incidentally, in 1831 an episcopal minister complained that "Among all our presidents from Washington downward, not one was a professor of religion, at least not of more than Unitarianism."


My point about Franklin is that he was a politician and opportunist, through and through, do not take anything from him at face value. The same likely goes for the rest of the bunch. "When in Rome, do as the Romans" and when in Religionland, do as the religious. If that includes using their terminology, which had been around for some 1500 years by then and quickly gaining secular meanings in addition to or even superseding the original ones or had become parts of figures of speech, so be it.
This does not make them bad persons, but I think it's a more accurate portrayal than one of them as wise, freedom-loving men with wholly good intentions gathering and declaring that one of the biggest (or even the biggest?) British colonies was independent, effective immediately.


So, are you supporting oVo's determination that the "Founding Fathers" were atheists? Because that's really the issue I'm discussing. There is no empirical evidence that they were atheist. There is a whole lot of empirical evidence that they believed in God and that they inserted God into government. So, I was confused by oVo's assertion that they were atheist because there is a whole lot of evidence suggesting they were not. I don't disagree with anything else you're saying... they were certainly wise, freedom-loving men with wholly good intentions gathering and declaring that one of the biggest British colonies was independent... they just inserted a whole lot of references to God in those declarations; which leads me to believe they were not atheist.
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6239
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby Snorri1234 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:42 pm

thegreekdog wrote: they were certainly wise, freedom-loving men with wholly good intentions gathering and declaring that one of the biggest British colonies was independent...


Either I misread MeDeFe or you are actually disagreeing with him.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

Duane: You know what they say about love and war.
Tim: Yes, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's war.
User avatar
Private Snorri1234
 
Posts: 3438
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:52 am
Location: Right in the middle of a fucking reptile zoo.
Medals: 6
Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (1)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:02 pm

Snorri1234 wrote:
thegreekdog wrote: they were certainly wise, freedom-loving men with wholly good intentions gathering and declaring that one of the biggest British colonies was independent...


Either I misread MeDeFe or you are actually disagreeing with him.


I'm not sure if I'm disagreeing with him since he has not yet said that he believes the founders were atheist. If he think they were atheist, I disagree. If he thinks they were not atheist, then I agree.
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6239
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby The1exile on Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:52 pm

thegreekdog wrote:I'm not sure if I'm disagreeing with him since he has not yet said that he believes the founders were atheist. If he think they were atheist, I disagree. If he thinks they were not atheist, then I agree.

Dude, read the thread. You even quoted and replied to the post where he said what his stance was on the issue.

MeDeFe wrote:Oh, your founding fathers were probably not outright atheists, or at least not all of them, but many of them were certainly sceptics (heard about the Jefferson bible? 46 pages after all miracles and inconsistencies were clipped out). Incidentally, in 1831 an episcopal minister complained that "Among all our presidents from Washington downward, not one was a professor of religion, at least not of more than Unitarianism."
Image
User avatar
Lieutenant The1exile
 
Posts: 7140
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:01 pm
Location: Devastation
Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1) Tournament Achievement (1)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:19 pm

The1exile wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I'm not sure if I'm disagreeing with him since he has not yet said that he believes the founders were atheist. If he think they were atheist, I disagree. If he thinks they were not atheist, then I agree.

Dude, read the thread. You even quoted and replied to the post where he said what his stance was on the issue.

MeDeFe wrote:Oh, your founding fathers were probably not outright atheists, or at least not all of them, but many of them were certainly sceptics (heard about the Jefferson bible? 46 pages after all miracles and inconsistencies were clipped out). Incidentally, in 1831 an episcopal minister complained that "Among all our presidents from Washington downward, not one was a professor of religion, at least not of more than Unitarianism."


Can you find for me where he said they were atheists? All I read is that they were skeptics because of Jefferon's bibles. I also read that "your founding fathers were probably not outright atheists."

To continue to belabor my point, the founders, who may have been skeptics, I don't know, made many references to God and Judeo-Christian law in the various documents they produced.

In conclusion, "Dude, read the thread."
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6239
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby Snorri1234 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:28 pm

thegreekdog wrote:
The1exile wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:I'm not sure if I'm disagreeing with him since he has not yet said that he believes the founders were atheist. If he think they were atheist, I disagree. If he thinks they were not atheist, then I agree.

Dude, read the thread. You even quoted and replied to the post where he said what his stance was on the issue.

MeDeFe wrote:Oh, your founding fathers were probably not outright atheists, or at least not all of them, but many of them were certainly sceptics (heard about the Jefferson bible? 46 pages after all miracles and inconsistencies were clipped out). Incidentally, in 1831 an episcopal minister complained that "Among all our presidents from Washington downward, not one was a professor of religion, at least not of more than Unitarianism."


Can you find for me where he said they were atheists? All I read is that they were skeptics because of Jefferon's bibles. I also read that "your founding fathers were probably not outright atheists."

To continue to belabor my point, the founders, who may have been skeptics, I don't know, made many references to God and Judeo-Christian law in the various documents they produced.

In conclusion, "Dude, read the thread."



My point about Franklin is that he was a politician and opportunist, through and through, do not take anything from him at face value. The same likely goes for the rest of the bunch.
"When in Rome, do as the Romans" and when in Religionland, do as the religious. If that includes using their terminology, which had been around for some 1500 years by then and quickly gaining secular meanings in addition to or even superseding the original ones or had become parts of figures of speech, so be it.


They were not outright atheists because being an outright atheist at that time would basically get you killed.

Anyway, what I was actually referring to was this:

This does not make them bad persons, but I think it's a more accurate portrayal than one of them as wise, freedom-loving men with wholly good intentions gathering and declaring that one of the biggest (or even the biggest?) British colonies was independent, effective immediately.


a more accurate portrayal than one of them

than
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

Duane: You know what they say about love and war.
Tim: Yes, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's war.
User avatar
Private Snorri1234
 
Posts: 3438
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:52 am
Location: Right in the middle of a fucking reptile zoo.
Medals: 6
Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (1)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:43 pm

Frustration building...

Snorri, I'm not saying they were God-fearing Christians on a mission to bring Christianity to the United States. I'm saying (1) there is little evidence that any of them were atheists, and (2) they made many references to God in their writing. This latter factor is a positive indication that they were not, in fact, atheists. For oVo to say they were atheists is downright wrong. And when MeDeFe doesn't actually say they were atheists, I don't think he's disagreeing with me. I think what he's trying to say is that the founders' respective beliefs in God was less important than their interest in freedom. I agree with that. But they weren't atheists.

I'm a rational guy who believes in logic and evidence (except when worshipping God in my own way, which I'm not going to force on anyone else). I'm not trying to impsoe my religion on others. I would venture to say that Jefferson, Franklin, et. al. would hate my religion (because, well, Catholics in the US were Irish... and Irish were scum). In any event, my motives in this thread are purely educational and for debate purposes only. I'm not saying I'm right about God. I am saying that I'm right about the founders. Because I am.
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6239
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby MeDeFe on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:10 pm

Pray tell where the evidence of your founding fathers inserting religion into government is. This is news, because usually it is only possible to present evidence for them being against religion and government mixing.



And since it seems your reading skills will not get you placed in any top 10 lists.

Your founding fathers were first and foremost interested in their own interests.
Then in freedom and a better society for everyone (especially including themselves).
Then in a lot of other things like reading Plato and Aristotle, doing business, making money, learning new and exciting languages and being critical about religion. Very critical in fact, even for modern secular European standards.
Then in some more stuff.
Then in stuff like eating and getting up every morning.
Then in being religious.

Then possibly stuff like killing puppies and eating babies, but I rather doubt that to be honest, I'm only mentioning it to have a complete list.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
User avatar
Major MeDeFe
 
Posts: 8098
Joined: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:48 am
Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.
Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) General Achievement (3) General Contribution (7)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby thegreekdog on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:25 pm

MeDeFe wrote:Pray tell where the evidence of your founding fathers inserting religion into government is. This is news, because usually it is only possible to present evidence for them being against religion and government mixing.



And since it seems your reading skills will not get you placed in any top 10 lists.

Your founding fathers were first and foremost interested in their own interests.
Then in freedom and a better society for everyone (especially including themselves).
Then in a lot of other things like reading Plato and Aristotle, doing business, making money, learning new and exciting languages and being critical about religion. Very critical in fact, even for modern secular European standards.
Then in some more stuff.
Then in stuff like eating and getting up every morning.
Then in being religious.

Then possibly stuff like killing puppies and eating babies, but I rather doubt that to be honest, I'm only mentioning it to have a complete list.


Read the Constitution, the Declaration of Indepedence and any of Thomas Paine's writings. There are multiple references to God and/or the Creator. Perhaps you did not attend school? Perhaps you are so blinded by your hatred for things that you don't agree with that you cannot read? Or perhaps you are being sarcastic? I surely hope it's the latter.

Here's an example my friend: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights."
User avatar
Sergeant thegreekdog
 
Posts: 6239
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:55 am
Location: Philadelphia
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1)
General Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (2) General Contribution (2)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby Neoteny on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:31 pm

That part is just allegory. We atheists don't read that literally.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Neoteny
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby Snorri1234 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:32 pm

thegreekdog wrote:Snorri, I'm not saying they were God-fearing Christians on a mission to bring Christianity to the United States.

Good, because that would be completely stupid.
I'm saying (1) there is little evidence that any of them were atheists,

There is plenty of evidence insofar as that they didn't pay much attention to religion themselves. They weren't atheists because they would be killed outright if they were. Ofcourse they weren't outright atheists, they would never have founded a nation if they did on account of them getting lynched.
and (2) they made many references to God in their writing. This latter factor is a positive indication that they were not, in fact, atheists.

Why? The fun thing about being an atheist is that you can parcipitate in any religious ceremony and talk about god all the time and how much you love him without a single problem. I know a lot of atheists actually do this to not upset their family (my family does at least). Their writings were not all very religious or in fact theistic in any way.

A number of things actually point towards some of them being very skeptic to the point of agnosticism.
For oVo to say they were atheists is downright wrong. And when MeDeFe doesn't actually say they were atheists, I don't think he's disagreeing with me. I think what he's trying to say is that the founders' respective beliefs in God was less important than their interest in freedom. I agree with that. But they weren't atheists.

If you rank "believing in god" less important than a whole bunch of shit, you're being very unchristian. At least, that's what every single christian tells me. (They all say "OMG MY BELIEFS IS TEH SINGLE MOST IMPORTANTS THING IN MY LIFE".)

When one's love for god is: "oh we should mention god here btw" you are in fact very much an atheist given the time in which they lived.


Still, you disagreed completely with MeDeFe on the founding fathers being supermen. That is, he says they weren't and you say they were.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

Duane: You know what they say about love and war.
Tim: Yes, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's war.
User avatar
Private Snorri1234
 
Posts: 3438
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:52 am
Location: Right in the middle of a fucking reptile zoo.
Medals: 6
Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (1)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby F1fth on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:39 pm

The f*ck does all this matter anyway, in the context of this thread or otherwise? Even if we knew what the founding fathers were (which we can't, conclusively, as you both must realize), what's either of your points?

I'm guessing it's pride, but correct me if I'm wrong. You both might as well be arguing the existence or non-existence of God, for all the progress you're going to make.

And MeDeFe, drop the demeaning bullshit. It's unbecoming. Greek, frustrated or not, you too.
<>---------------------------<>
......Come play CC Mafia,
.....where happiness lies
<>----------[Link]----------<>

REMEMBER NORSE // REMEMBER DANCING MUSTARD
User avatar
Corporal F1fth
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:15 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby Neoteny on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:43 pm

Why even argue if you can't act like you're right?
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class Neoteny
 
Posts: 2510
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:24 pm
Location: Atlanta, Georgia
Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby F1fth on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:47 pm

You can act like you're right. Just don't act like the other guy is an utter retard for not having the same ideas as you. I'm not saying anyone here was, but I could see where it was headed. It always starts with the petty little personal attacks.

Oh, and I also wanted the two to make their point as to how the beliefs of the founding fathers ties in with bias in the media. :D
Last edited by F1fth on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<>---------------------------<>
......Come play CC Mafia,
.....where happiness lies
<>----------[Link]----------<>

REMEMBER NORSE // REMEMBER DANCING MUSTARD
User avatar
Corporal F1fth
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:15 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby Snorri1234 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:48 pm

F1fth wrote:The f*ck does all this matter anyway, in the context of this thread or otherwise? Even if we knew what the founding fathers were (which we can't, conclusively, as you both must realize), what's either of your points?


My point has to do with me being awesome and lovely and fluffy and moist in every kind of way to be tremendously giddy about it.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

Duane: You know what they say about love and war.
Tim: Yes, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's war.
User avatar
Private Snorri1234
 
Posts: 3438
Joined: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:52 am
Location: Right in the middle of a fucking reptile zoo.
Medals: 6
Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)
Clan Achievement (1)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:49 pm

thegreekdog wrote:Read the Constitution, the Declaration of Indepedence and any of Thomas Paine's writings. There are multiple references to God and/or the Creator. Perhaps you did not attend school? Perhaps you are so blinded by your hatred for things that you don't agree with that you cannot read? Or perhaps you are being sarcastic? I surely hope it's the latter.

Here's an example my friend: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights."


The founding father's religious faiths varied. But, remember, most people who came here really did NOT come here so we could all practice our religions, they came here so that they could practice their religions and then turn around an persecute everyone else.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 2600
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Re: Bias in the Media, LOL

Postby F1fth on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:50 pm

Snorri1234 wrote:
F1fth wrote:The f*ck does all this matter anyway, in the context of this thread or otherwise? Even if we knew what the founding fathers were (which we can't, conclusively, as you both must realize), what's either of your points?


My point has to do with me being awesome and lovely and fluffy and moist in every kind of way to be tremendously giddy about it.


And a fine point it is, sir!
<>---------------------------<>
......Come play CC Mafia,
.....where happiness lies
<>----------[Link]----------<>

REMEMBER NORSE // REMEMBER DANCING MUSTARD
User avatar
Corporal F1fth
 
Posts: 1660
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 11:15 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)

Re: ALL media is biased.

Postby captain.crazy on Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:56 pm

The1exile wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:In any event, I have no problem with atheists. They are pretty brave if you really think about it - If the atheist is right, he dies and gets put into the ground (a scary thought indeed). If the atheist is wrong, he goes to Hell. It's a lose-lose situation.

This is a false dichotomy. Apart from the fact that we all die and get put in a hole in the ground (or whatever alternative is chosen for your corpse) regardless of faith, the declaration that the souls of all atheists will burn in hell seems to me to onl;y be espoused by holier-than-thou religious types. If you asked a Moslem what would happen to xians, most of them would burn in hell. The same goes the other way around. Those who preach that God is forgiving must concede that in this hypothetical scenario when I die and face God in heaven for not believing, for him to be forgiving and to condemn me to hell for being too ignorant to accept his existence are mutually exclusive.

I will happily accept the existence of a god who actually exists before me. I will not ask the forgiveness of a god that doesn't exist and whose followers try to care me with "ooh he's gonna get ya" and cast it simultaneously as a vindictive and forgiving figure.


Actually, what I have learned is that you have to accept Him, so that you can have a relationship with Him. when you pass, and try to get into heaven, he won't know you, thanks to your decision to deny him a relationship with you. Therefore, he will deny you the relationship with Him. This really boils down to your ego (Satan) being bigger than the small task of praying for Him to build a relationship with you. If you can do that, then you may not be cast away from God... because He really has no room for Ego in His neck of the woods.
wake up. This is the end game.

Join our conspiracy clan!
User avatar
Lieutenant captain.crazy
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:28 pm
Medals: 3
Standard Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Babble-On Five

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

Login