Please explain to me the "Michael Richards incident&quo

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

How many racists were involved in the "Michael Richards incident"

only Michael Richards
3
23%
Michael Richards and the guy who called him "a cracker"
5
38%
Michael Richards and the part of white audince that didn't boo him
0
No votes
non of the above
5
38%
 
Total votes : 13

Please explain to me the "Michael Richards incident&quo

Postby mandalorian2298 on Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:01 pm

Ok, here is what I saw and heard: Michael Richards called the black man a "nigger". That man called Michael Richards a "cracker" (wich, I presume is a derogative term for a "white man").
The general conclusio is: Michael Richards is a racist!! :?:
My questions are: If this was a racistic incident, how many racists were involved, one or two? If "nigger" is a derogative and, apparently, unacceptable term, why do black people call each other "nigger"?

I understand that, if you are an American, you probably consider this general knowlledge, but I am not an American and I would appriciate if you could explain your exotic customs to me, so that I may better understand your culture. Tnx in advance.
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Image
User avatar
Lieutenant mandalorian2298
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: www.chess.com
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby Skittlesandmnms on Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:06 pm

I think of the word 'nigger' as meaning a worthless person. There can be worthless black people, but I know more worthless white people. I don't think I actually know any worthless black people.

Also, it's fun to say. Especially in describing (in a joking manner) someone who makes the Pillsberry dough boy look tan
Vita sine honore vivere not est.
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Skittlesandmnms
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:13 am
Location: Pyongyang
Medals: 33
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4)

Re: Please explain to me the "Michael Richards incident

Postby Stopper on Wed Nov 22, 2006 7:41 pm

mandalorian2298 wrote:Ok, here is what I saw and heard: Michael Richards called the black man a "nigger". That man called Michael Richards a "cracker" (wich, I presume is a derogative term for a "white man").
The general conclusio is: Michael Richards is a racist!! :?:


A white man calling a black man a nigger in a white-dominated society is generally more threatening than a black man doing the reverse. Nevertheless, it seems pretty obvious to me Kramer DID make a racist insult. What's your point?

My questions are: If this was a racistic incident, how many racists were involved, one or two? If "nigger" is a derogative and, apparently, unacceptable term, why do black people call each other "nigger"?


There are two racists, I suppose, but hardly at the same level. After all, Kramer had the stage, and repeated his insult over and over again, while the black man was just a heckler.

EDIT: Forgot to say, your poll question is loaded and I didn't bother answering it. No-one gives a shit whether the odd black man is racist, but I was disappointed when I heard that KRAMER said what he did.
User avatar
Lieutenant Stopper
 
Posts: 2244
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 5:14 am
Location: Supposed to be working...

Postby ksslemp on Wed Nov 22, 2006 8:02 pm

Somebody calling a Black man a Nigger, doesn't mean they're Racist!

When you are trying to insult somebody, you say things that they'd be insulted by! Should he have yelled "You're an African-American"!? Boy that would have been tough to take.

The guy was pissed off, and acted like a "Normal" pissed off person, End of Story!
User avatar
Major ksslemp
 
Posts: 482
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:30 pm
Location: Slemp, KY 41763 Pop. 'nough
Medals: 17
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby vtmarik on Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:35 pm

If you've watched the video it seems that he was originally trying to make a joke out of it but just unraveled right through it.

Sucks too, because that could've been a decent joke had he stepped back and went "Kinda went overboard didn't I?" and made a funny face.
Initiate discovery! Fire the Machines! Throw the switch Igor! THROW THE F***ING SWITCH!
User avatar
Cadet vtmarik
 
Posts: 3863
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 9:51 am
Location: Riding on the waves of fear and loathing.

Re: Please explain to me the "Michael Richards incident

Postby mandalorian2298 on Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:22 pm

Stopper wrote:
mandalorian2298 wrote:Ok, here is what I saw and heard: Michael Richards called the black man a "nigger". That man called Michael Richards a "cracker" (wich, I presume is a derogative term for a "white man").
The general conclusio is: Michael Richards is a racist!! :?:


A white man calling a black man a nigger in a white-dominated society is generally more threatening than a black man doing the reverse. Nevertheless, it seems pretty obvious to me Kramer DID make a racist insult. What's your point?

My questions are: If this was a racistic incident, how many racists were involved, one or two? If "nigger" is a derogative and, apparently, unacceptable term, why do black people call each other "nigger"?


There are two racists, I suppose, but hardly at the same level. After all, Kramer had the stage, and repeated his insult over and over again, while the black man was just a heckler.

EDIT: Forgot to say, your poll question is loaded and I didn't bother answering it. No-one gives a shit whether the odd black man is racist, but I was disappointed when I heard that KRAMER said what he did.


If the Amercan society is white-dominated as you claim it is, how come that only WHITE racists or WHITE people making racistic insults are criticized? Why aren't these white-dominators preventing it by protecting their own? Is American society dominated by white masochists? :shock:

ksslemp wrote:When you are trying to insult somebody, you say things that they'd be insulted by! Should he have yelled "You're an African-American"!? Boy that would have been tough to take.


My point exactly! In my (Croatian) society, people are lot less sensitive when they are insulting somebody, but at least our insults are among the gratest in the WORLD! :D
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Image
User avatar
Lieutenant mandalorian2298
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: www.chess.com
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Re: Please explain to me the "Michael Richards incident

Postby Stopper on Thu Nov 23, 2006 3:44 pm

mandalorian2298 wrote:
Stopper wrote:
There are two racists, I suppose, but hardly at the same level. After all, Kramer had the stage, and repeated his insult over and over again, while the black man was just a heckler.

EDIT: Forgot to say, your poll question is loaded and I didn't bother answering it. No-one gives a shit whether the odd black man is racist, but I was disappointed when I heard that KRAMER said what he did.


If the Amercan society is white-dominated as you claim it is, how come that only WHITE racists or WHITE people making racistic insults are criticized? Why aren't these white-dominators preventing it by protecting their own? Is American society dominated by white masochists? :shock:


I CLAIM American society is white-dominated?? By domination, I meant by sheer numbers, but I don't think you'll find any SANE person arguing that blacks and hispanics now have complete equality in any form with white people.

The reason, as I've already implied above, that Michael Richards was picked out on this occasion is because A) he had the stage and B) he's a celebrity. Like I said, no-one gives a shit if an ordinary man is racist or not, because if they DID, the US & European newspapers would be full of nothing except examples of racist people - and they'd generally be white - most Americans and Europeans are white, see?

mandalorian2298 wrote:
ksslemp wrote:When you are trying to insult somebody, you say things that they'd be insulted by! Should he have yelled "You're an African-American"!? Boy that would have been tough to take.


My point exactly! In my (Croatian) society, people are lot less sensitive when they are insulting somebody, but at least our insults are among the gratest in the WORLD! :D


I noticed you were Croatian when you first posted. I couldn't possibly comment on whether Croatian society has a healthier attitude to race, I don't know enough about it - I mean 20th century Croatian history as far as race is concerned is a bit dodgy, isn't it?
User avatar
Lieutenant Stopper
 
Posts: 2244
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 5:14 am
Location: Supposed to be working...

Re: Please explain to me the "Michael Richards incident

Postby mandalorian2298 on Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:31 pm

Stopper wrote:
mandalorian2298 wrote:
ksslemp wrote:When you are trying to insult somebody, you say things that they'd be insulted by! Should he have yelled "You're an African-American"!? Boy that would have been tough to take.


My point exactly! In my (Croatian) society, people are lot less sensitive when they are insulting somebody, but at least our insults are among the gratest in the WORLD! :D


I noticed you were Croatian when you first posted. I couldn't possibly comment on whether Croatian society has a healthier attitude to race, I don't know enough about it - I mean 20th century Croatian history as far as race is concerned is a bit dodgy, isn't it?


You are dead wrong, mate. NDH (Independent State of Croatia) was an effort of making Croatia indipendent (I hope you don't think the Irish are potential racists too, because they saw WWII as an opportunity to rid THEIR island of the English inveders). Ustaski regime didn't care at all about dominance of the Arian race(after all, Hitler planed to "purge" all Slavenenic nations of the face of the Earth, too). They just made a cynical political decision to side up with Nazists and help them in their idiotic "cleansing" of the world, because they thought he would win and they would profit from it.
But, there is a reason why many Croatians (mostly young) identify with Ustasas. That reason lies in the fact that "Ustasa" if an insulting term for Croat, used mostly by Serbs ("Chetnik" is a insulting term for Serb). But, there-in lies my point: When a Serb and a Croat insult each-other by using those words they are not accused of being nationalists (as long as they have a reason for arguing appart from the fact that other guy is Serb/Croat), but of being rude. More, the terms "Ustasa" and "Chetnik", despite their origin (Ustasas were nazis and Chetniks were buchers) have lost part of their insulting meaning, because to be insulted because somebody calls you Chetnik/Ustasa would be like feeling ashamed of belonging to your nation, wich is the acctual target of such insults. Besides, very few people today can really be accused for belonging to Ustasas or Chetniks (beside people who fought in para-military groups thus named).

The reason why I can't understand the sotonization of the word "nigger" is that, when you take away the insult, it means only "black man". A Croat or a Serb have some right to be insulted by the words "Chetnik" or "Ustasa", because those words mean not only "Serb" or "Croat", but also "war-criminal". It is a sting into your nations sordid past. Personaly, I am not ashamed of it, because I wasn't even born when NDH begun and ended, but people with more national pride (if they also happen to be rational enough) feel ashamed that their nation commited such crimes (for example Serbian singer Djodje Balsevic made a song called "We are guilty" in wich he states that responsibility for Crotian-Serbian-Bosnian war lies on serbian people for not preventing it, as well as on madmen who started the war like Milosevic. I am sad to say that no self-criticizing song has, as far as I know, ever been made by a Croatian singer). But, for a black man to feel ashamed for being called a "nigger" is to be ashamed of his own race. And that is IMO just plain stupid.[/i]
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Image
User avatar
Lieutenant mandalorian2298
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: www.chess.com
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Re: Please explain to me the "Michael Richards incident

Postby Stopper on Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:08 pm

mandalorian2298 wrote:
Stopper wrote:
mandalorian2298 wrote:My point exactly! In my (Croatian) society, people are lot less sensitive when they are insulting somebody, but at least our insults are among the gratest in the WORLD! :D


I noticed you were Croatian when you first posted. I couldn't possibly comment on whether Croatian society has a healthier attitude to race, I don't know enough about it - I mean 20th century Croatian history as far as race is concerned is a bit dodgy, isn't it?


You are dead wrong, mate. NDH (Independent State of Croatia) was an effort of making Croatia indipendent (I hope you don't think the Irish are potential racists too, because they saw WWII as an opportunity to rid THEIR island of the English inveders). Ustaski regime didn't care at all about dominance of the Arian race(after all, Hitler planed to "purge" all Slavenenic nations of the face of the Earth, too). They just made a cynical political decision to side up with Nazists and help them in their idiotic "cleansing" of the world, because they thought he would win and they would profit from it.


I brought this up because you said Croatian society is less sensitive than others when it comes to (presumably racial) insults. I say that doesn't mean anything - if you aren't as sensitive to racial insults, then maybe you're the ones with the problem.

I accept Croatia & other nations (Finland, Romania, Estonia, etc etc) in Eastern Europe had to choose between the Nazis and the Communists, but nevertheless, the fact remains that Croatia HAS fought wars along sectarian and racial lines, and so with that history I wouldn't necessarily assume Croatians had the healthiest attitude to race.

As to Ireland, BTW, of course they're just as potentially racist as the rest of us. Northern Ireland has the biggest collection of sectarian bigots in the whole of the British Isles.

mandalorian2298 wrote:The reason why I can't understand the sotonization of the word "nigger" is that, when you take away the insult, it means only "black man".... But, for a black man to feel ashamed for being called a "nigger" is to be ashamed of his own race. And that is IMO just plain stupid.[/i]


And where I have bolded is where your argument falls down - if you are familiar with the English language, then you will know you can't take away the racial insult because it is already there -it is inherent. Everyone knows what "nigger" means. Only an autist or someone with English as a foreign language would think it simply meant "black man".
User avatar
Lieutenant Stopper
 
Posts: 2244
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 5:14 am
Location: Supposed to be working...

Postby slash1890 on Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:37 pm

This requires a quick history lesson.

Back in the 1800s, in America, the word "nigger" was used as a derogatory term for a black slave. For example, a slave driver would say something like "get back to work, nigger!", and the black man would be humiliated and offended.

After slavery was revoked, white people were no longer allowed to put black people into slavery, but black people were still looked down upon. The word "nigger" was still used as an insult to a black person, but there wasn't really anything that protected him by law, yet. Until the '50s and '60s blacks were segregated from whites in all ways (blacks had to sit in the back of the bus, blacks had to use separate water fountains, blacks had to go to black-only schools, etc.), but it was politically correct at the time.

During the '50s and '60s, however, black people started to fight for their rights. It paid off, and eventually black people received equal rights as white people.

What this means today, is that whenever a white man calls a black man a "nigger," it is racism, because everyone has equal rights. However, the word "cracker" is a term blacks use against whites as an attempt at a racist derogatory term, but technically it isn't racism.

In short:

Black people are allowed to call their black friends niggers. White people are not allowed to call black people niggers. Black people are allowed to call white people crackers. White people are allowed to call their white friends crackers.

I realize it does not make much sense in a fair world, but black people in America generally get the benefit of the doubt because of our history with them.
User avatar
Corporal slash1890
 
Posts: 451
Joined: Mon Jul 17, 2006 12:31 am
Medals: 2
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1)

Re: Please explain to me the "Michael Richards incident

Postby mandalorian2298 on Thu Nov 23, 2006 5:52 pm

Stopper wrote:I brought this up because you said Croatian society is less sensitive than others when it comes to (presumably racial) insults. I say that doesn't mean anything - if you aren't as sensitive to racial insults, then maybe you're the ones with the problem.


You presumption is wrong. I was talking about the fact that in Crotia there is still a majority of people who know that words are just words. Were it know so, every time that one Croatian told another: "Jebem ti mater, pederu!" the insulted person would have rush to his mother to ask here: "Are you cheating on Dad :( ?", and then rush to his psyhiatrist to ask find out how and why he so suddenly became gay :D.
Insults are part of human communication and IMO it is better to alow people to say what they have in mind then force them to keep it bottled-up until they explode and do some real harm. If an American is not allowed to say the truth about how he feels in ANY given moment, why are Americans allways saying that they live in "the Land of the Free" (and if somebody can stop you from saying anything you want to say, than the "home of the brave" concept looks a bit illusional, too)?

Stopper wrote:I accept Croatia & other nations (Finland, Romania, Estonia, etc etc) in Eastern Europe had to choose between the Nazis and the Communists, but nevertheless, the fact remains that Croatia HAS fought wars along sectarian and racial lines, and so with that history I wouldn't necessarily assume Croatians had the healthiest attitude to race.


Acctualy, communism came to Croatia after NDH has fallen and Croatia became part of Yugoslavia. But, I'm proud to say that Yugoslavia has been one (and probably only) example of succesfull communist regime. This was so because of the Yugoslavian Marsal (life-long president) Josip Broz "Tito", who based Yugoslavian economy on gathering somthing like "protection money" from both SSSR and USA in exchange for wich Yugoslavia wouldn't join their opposing side (Tito was also a dictator who allowed little political freedom and was harsh in punishing his political adverseries, but apart from the little faults like being a tyrant he was a great leader :D )

Stopper wrote:
mandalorian2298 wrote:The reason why I can't understand the sotonization of the word "nigger" is that, when you take away the insult, it means only "black man".... But, for a black man to feel ashamed for being called a "nigger" is to be ashamed of his own race. And that is IMO just plain stupid.[/i]


And where I have bolded is where your argument falls down - if you are familiar with the English language, then you will know you can't take away the racial insult because it is already there -it is inherent. Everyone knows what "nigger" means. Only an autist or someone with English as a foreign language would think it simply meant "black man".


So, you think a black man SHOULD be ashamed when somebody calls them "nigger"? Well, as I said before, I don't agree. As for myself, feel fre to call me "cracker", "honky" or, if this is the only racial insult in the universe, by all means "nigger". I feel hurt by none of those words.
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Image
User avatar
Lieutenant mandalorian2298
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: www.chess.com
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby vtmarik on Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:06 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECjl7okapTk
The Incident, On Tape.

At the beginning of his rant, it looks like he tried to turn it into a joke.

"See, that shocks you..."

But his temper got the best of him when the hecklers kept on going.


And on the subject, if we really want racism to stop maybe we should quit being so sensitive. The banning of a word (f*ck, shit, nigger, etc.) gives it power.

From Julian Barry's screenplay for Lenny wrote:Are there any niggers here tonight? Could you turn on the house lights, please, and could the waiters and waitresses just stop serving, just for a second? And turn off this spot. Now what did he say? "Are there any niggers here tonight?" I know there's one nigger, because I see him back there working. Let's see, there's two niggers. And between those two niggers sits a kike. And there's another kike— that's two kikes and three niggers. And there's a spic. Right? Hmm? There's another spic. Ooh, there's a wop; there's a polack; and, oh, a couple of greaseballs. And there's three lace-curtain Irish micks. And there's one, hip, thick, hunky, funky, boogie. Boogie boogie. Mm-hmm. I got three kikes here, do I hear five kikes? I got five kikes, do I hear six spics, I got six spics, do I hear seven niggers? I got seven niggers. Sold American. I pass with seven niggers, six spics, five micks, four kikes, three guineas, and one wop.

Well, I was just trying to make a point, and that is that it's the suppression of the word that gives it the power, the violence, the viciousness. Dig: if President Kennedy would just go on television, and say, "I would like to introduce you to all the niggers in my cabinet," and if he'd just say "nigger nigger nigger nigger nigger" to every nigger he saw, "boogie boogie boogie boogie boogie," "nigger nigger nigger nigger nigger" 'til nigger didn't mean anything anymore, then you could never make some six-year-old black kid cry because somebody called him a nigger at school.
Initiate discovery! Fire the Machines! Throw the switch Igor! THROW THE F***ING SWITCH!
User avatar
Cadet vtmarik
 
Posts: 3863
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 9:51 am
Location: Riding on the waves of fear and loathing.

Re: Please explain to me the "Michael Richards incident

Postby Beastly on Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:15 pm

[quote="mandalorian2298"]why do black people call each other "nigger"?

I am American and have been wondering about this ? for years...
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class Beastly
 
Posts: 1188
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:48 am
Medals: 7
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1)

Re: Please explain to me the "Michael Richards incident

Postby Stopper on Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:40 pm

mandalorian2298 wrote:
Stopper wrote:I brought this up because you said Croatian society is less sensitive than others when it comes to (presumably racial) insults. I say that doesn't mean anything - if you aren't as sensitive to racial insults, then maybe you're the ones with the problem.


You presumption is wrong. I was talking about the fact that in Crotia there is still a majority of people who know that words are just words. Were it know so, every time that one Croatian told another: "Jebem ti mater, pederu!" the insulted person would have rush to his mother to ask here: "Are you cheating on Dad :( ?", and then rush to his psyhiatrist to ask find out how and why he so suddenly became gay :D.
Insults are part of human communication and IMO it is better to alow people to say what they have in mind then force them to keep it bottled-up until they explode and do some real harm. If an American is not allowed to say the truth about how he feels in ANY given moment, why are Americans allways saying that they live in "the Land of the Free" (and if somebody can stop you from saying anything you want to say, than the "home of the brave" concept looks a bit illusional, too)?


Michael Richards has the freedom to say what he wants. That is why he has not been arrested, nor will he be. Nevertheless, society has the right to say what is unacceptable (if not criminal).

Word are just words. OK, go up to your mother and say your father's cheating on her. Afterwards, tell her it was just a joke.

Words convey ideas - that's why we have them. And the word "nigger" conveys an idea that's no longer societally acceptable, for the reasons slash1890 has given.

mandalorian2298 wrote:
Stopper wrote:
mandalorian2298 wrote:The reason why I can't understand the sotonization of the word "nigger" is that, when you take away the insult, it means only "black man".... But, for a black man to feel ashamed for being called a "nigger" is to be ashamed of his own race. And that is IMO just plain stupid.[/i]


And where I have bolded is where your argument falls down - if you are familiar with the English language, then you will know you can't take away the racial insult because it is already there -it is inherent. Everyone knows what "nigger" means. Only an autist or someone with English as a foreign language would think it simply meant "black man".


So, you think a black man SHOULD be ashamed when somebody calls them "nigger"? Well, as I said before, I don't agree. As for myself, feel fre to call me "cracker", "honky" or, if this is the only racial insult in the universe, by all means "nigger". I feel hurt by none of those words.


No, I mean the black man should take offence at the inherent insult in the word, not that anyone should describe him a "black man" per se. And as to being called "honky" by black people, I doubt this situation is likely to arise for you, but say you found yourself living in a black-dominated area of the world, (such as West Ham, London), you don't think you'd have a problem with being singled out by the black people just for being white?
User avatar
Lieutenant Stopper
 
Posts: 2244
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 5:14 am
Location: Supposed to be working...

Postby Stopper on Thu Nov 23, 2006 6:52 pm

vtmarik wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECjl7okapTk
The Incident, On Tape.

At the beginning of his rant, it looks like he tried to turn it into a joke.

"See, that shocks you..."

But his temper got the best of him when the hecklers kept on going.


I dare say it did - I haven't seen the video yet (but I will), but simply from the newspaper description, I could see it was an attempt at a joke, and I can imagine exactly how he'd do it, and it fell flat. Unfortunate heat-of-the-moment decision for him, but nevertheless, he was supposed to be professional enough to know not to do it. He's not getting arrested or anything, he apologised on TV, but we all know that what he did was stupid.


vtmarik wrote:And on the subject, if we really want racism to stop maybe we should quit being so sensitive. The banning of a word (f*ck, shit, nigger, etc.) gives it power.

From Julian Barry's screenplay for Lenny wrote:Are there any niggers here tonight? Could you turn on the house lights, please, and could the waiters and waitresses just stop serving, just for a second? And turn off this spot. Now what did he say? "Are there any niggers here tonight?" I know there's one nigger, because I see him back there working. Let's see, there's two niggers. And between those two niggers sits a kike. And there's another kike— that's two kikes and three niggers. And there's a spic. Right? Hmm? There's another spic. Ooh, there's a wop; there's a polack; and, oh, a couple of greaseballs. And there's three lace-curtain Irish micks. And there's one, hip, thick, hunky, funky, boogie. Boogie boogie. Mm-hmm. I got three kikes here, do I hear five kikes? I got five kikes, do I hear six spics, I got six spics, do I hear seven niggers? I got seven niggers. Sold American. I pass with seven niggers, six spics, five micks, four kikes, three guineas, and one wop.

Well, I was just trying to make a point, and that is that it's the suppression of the word that gives it the power, the violence, the viciousness. Dig: if President Kennedy would just go on television, and say, "I would like to introduce you to all the niggers in my cabinet," and if he'd just say "nigger nigger nigger nigger nigger" to every nigger he saw, "boogie boogie boogie boogie boogie," "nigger nigger nigger nigger nigger" 'til nigger didn't mean anything anymore, then you could never make some six-year-old black kid cry because somebody called him a nigger at school.


Yeah, that's really nice, if only everyone could just get along, racial insults wouldn't matter. I want to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony ... Sorry for the sarcasm, but we do all live in the real world, no?

Beastly wrote:
mandalorian2298 wrote:why do black people call each other "nigger"?

I am American and have been wondering about this ? for years...


I don't know, I ain't black, but it's never seemed right to me, and I don't think it is OK, either. For some reason I'm annoyed by this thread...so I'll simmer down for the time being.

EDIT: I forgot to add, of course, I dare say most don't use the term.
User avatar
Lieutenant Stopper
 
Posts: 2244
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 5:14 am
Location: Supposed to be working...

Postby vtmarik on Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:45 pm

Stopper wrote:Yeah, that's really nice, if only everyone could just get along, racial insults wouldn't matter. I want to teach the world to sing in perfect harmony ... Sorry for the sarcasm, but we do all live in the real world, no?


First off, I never started to sing the Coke song, nor was I trying to. I'm simply stating the plain fact that by banning a word is what gives it the shock value and level of taboo that it does.

In the 60s, Star Trek broke ground when Capt. Kirk said "Let's get the hell out of here." at the end of City of the Edge of Forever. Now, everyone says hell. Phrases like "Screw you," "up yours," "Sit and spin," have become innocuous when at one time or another they were too taboo to say in polite company.

By fining and denouncing usage of the word "f*ck" for example is what makes it so naughty to use. I mean, it's edited out of the forums with a filter for Christ's sake. If we all acted like adults and just got over ourselves, a comedian won't have to apologize for saying 'nigger' on stage.

Racial heritage means nothing in a realistic context. Just because you're black and are the same skin color as Martin Luther King Jr. doesn't make you any more superior to any other group of people anywhere. f*ck culture.[/altruism]

Realistically, if everyone used the word on a constant basis, it would just become a word. Phrases such as "God damn it," "Jesus H. Christ!" and "Holy Hell" are completely acceptable when at one time taking the Lord's name in vain got rocks thrown at you until you were dead.
Initiate discovery! Fire the Machines! Throw the switch Igor! THROW THE F***ING SWITCH!
User avatar
Cadet vtmarik
 
Posts: 3863
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 9:51 am
Location: Riding on the waves of fear and loathing.

My Reply to the topic

Postby salvadevinemasse on Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:44 pm

The way I see it.. the guy was just trying to make a living and the heckler was at his job screwing it all up for him.. Hell I'd be mad too if someone came to my job and started doing that to me! Wouldnt you?

I don't think of "nigger" as a black term I think of it as a stupid person term.. If someones stupid you call them a nigger. There are white, black, and asian ones.. Now see if everyone else thought of it the same way it would be so much easier in this world! I understand why they were upset about it.. he was doing it out of anger.. if he had been kidding around and hadn't taken it in the manner he did then it would have been okay I think.
I think both were wrong in this case and I hope the judge throws that lawsuit out as fast as possible..(Yeah..Last I Heard There Is A Lawsuit Comming Up..) I say two can play that game though.. maybe he should do a lawsuit right back after all they did call him cracker.. To me people are about their attitude not their skin color though.

I've seen the video and all I can say is I'm so happy youtube has come along on the internet because you can see all these things you didnt get to back in the 90's!

ttyl guys..I hope that helped some.

salva-
"angel by heart....mistress dressed sexy by night....and by day..just a cool person i guess" By BlueReaper

cawck mongler wrote:Your only option is to quit and become an anti-American Nazi that plays risk.


~*Salva*~
User avatar
Cadet salvadevinemasse
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: do you really really wanna know?..THEN ASK!

Postby mandalorian2298 on Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:25 am

Btw have you seen the "We must kill all white people" thread. Has Afro-american community been condemning that guy the way they condemn white racists?

I would like to add, for clarity sake, that I don't blame the black community for the absurd system of values that American society accepts today. IMO you guys (Yanks, I mean) accept publicly stated claimes (like "black people have more to feel threatened from racistic remarks then white people") without holding public debates about the subject first. As I said before, you are the "Land of the Free", you have your First Amandman, so stop being so scared of the society's reaction and start thinking and debating, instead of just accepting.
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Image
User avatar
Lieutenant mandalorian2298
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: www.chess.com
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby cowshrptrn on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:30 am

mandalorian2298 wrote:Btw have you seen the "We must kill all white people" thread. Has Afro-american community been condemning that guy the way they condemn white racists?


Quite honestly, i dont' tihnk he's even been given any attention, because its implied that he doesn't knwo what he's talking about.

Also, if someone calls you deragatory name, you can counter by calling them a deragatory name, and you woudl have every right to do so. As long as you're not initiating int he deragatory name calling, you're not nearly as at fault as the guy who called you a deragatory name.
Image
User avatar
Private cowshrptrn
 
Posts: 838
Joined: Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:15 pm
Location: wouldn't YOU like to know....
Medals: 2
Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1)

Postby Stopper on Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:27 pm

vtmarik wrote:
Stopper wrote:Drunken waffle


First off, I never started to sing the Coke song, nor was I trying to. I'm simply stating the plain fact that by banning a word is what gives it the shock value and level of taboo that it does.

In the 60s, Star Trek broke ground when Capt. Kirk said "Let's get the hell out of here." at the end of City of the Edge of Forever. Now, everyone says hell. Phrases like "Screw you," "up yours," "Sit and spin," have become innocuous when at one time or another they were too taboo to say in polite company.

By fining and denouncing usage of the word "f*ck" for example is what makes it so naughty to use. I mean, it's edited out of the forums with a filter for Christ's sake. If we all acted like adults and just got over ourselves, a comedian won't have to apologize for saying 'nigger' on stage.

Racial heritage means nothing in a realistic context. Just because you're black and are the same skin color as Martin Luther King Jr. doesn't make you any more superior to any other group of people anywhere. f*ck culture.[/altruism]

Realistically, if everyone used the word on a constant basis, it would just become a word. Phrases such as "God damn it," "Jesus H. Christ!" and "Holy Hell" are completely acceptable when at one time taking the Lord's name in vain got rocks thrown at you until you were dead.


But the point I was trying to make, is that it's not the word itself that is the problem - it's the idea it conveys.

I agree that the banning of words such as "f*ck", "cunt", "shit" and so on is bizarre, because there is nothing inherent in these words that should make them so offensive - the sentiments expressed by the words may be offensive. Eg, being told by someone "I'm going to fucking kill you" is more offensive than them saying "Let's f*ck like rabbits" - but it isn't the word "f*ck" that makes the difference, it's what you mean by what you say.

Religious swear words such as "Hell", "God", "Jesus Christ", again I don't find offensive, but a Christian or a Jew may well do - I'd leave that to them.

But racial words ALWAYS convey a certain idea behind them - that someone of one "race" is superior to another based on that race. The fact of the matter is, you can attempt to render the word meaningless, but all that will happen is that another word will come along. Such as C***, W**, K***, T****, C*****, H*******, H****, and so on and so forth.
User avatar
Lieutenant Stopper
 
Posts: 2244
Joined: Mon May 29, 2006 5:14 am
Location: Supposed to be working...

Postby vtmarik on Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:38 pm

Honky, Wop, Dago, Mick...

I don't believe these are in common use at the moment, since white people see other white people nowadays. I don't think any Irish people are going to feel put down or humiliated if you call one a Mick.

And you really aren't going to make much of a point when we don't know which words you're talking about. Two are obvious (k*** and W**); the others, not so much.


And my original point is that if we can somehow stop being to sensitive to how we're viewed by others, these words won't make any difference.

But then again, that's just my unbridled altruism getting the better of me.
Initiate discovery! Fire the Machines! Throw the switch Igor! THROW THE F***ING SWITCH!
User avatar
Cadet vtmarik
 
Posts: 3863
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 9:51 am
Location: Riding on the waves of fear and loathing.

Reply to post!

Postby salvadevinemasse on Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:49 pm

vtmarik wrote:Honky, Wop, Dago, Mick...

I don't believe these are in common use at the moment, since white people see other white people nowadays. I don't think any Irish people are going to feel put down or humiliated if you call one a Mick.

And you really aren't going to make much of a point when we don't know which words you're talking about. Two are obvious (k*** and W**); the others, not so much.


And my original point is that if we can somehow stop being to sensitive to how we're viewed by others, these words won't make any difference.

But then again, that's just my unbridled altruism getting the better of me.


VTMarik-
My brothers are sitting next to me asking why your only posting white people racial stuff when it comes to your post over there.. they said "now if they start making sling blade references run!" They also made a bunnell
joke.. Dont ask..!

My response to the mick thing though is: If you call a person mick, don't be in shock if they ask you who your talking to when their name isnt mick!! Not everyone knows that one.. isnt it mostly an irish or austrailian thing?

salva-
"angel by heart....mistress dressed sexy by night....and by day..just a cool person i guess" By BlueReaper

cawck mongler wrote:Your only option is to quit and become an anti-American Nazi that plays risk.


~*Salva*~
User avatar
Cadet salvadevinemasse
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: do you really really wanna know?..THEN ASK!

Postby vtmarik on Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:56 pm

Because, being Cherokee, I like making fun of the white man. :lol:
Initiate discovery! Fire the Machines! Throw the switch Igor! THROW THE F***ING SWITCH!
User avatar
Cadet vtmarik
 
Posts: 3863
Joined: Mon May 15, 2006 9:51 am
Location: Riding on the waves of fear and loathing.

VTMarik

Postby salvadevinemasse on Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:08 pm

vtmarik wrote:Because, being Cherokee, I like making fun of the white man. :lol:


LMAO! Good point!! Okay Deans demanding the computer keep an eye on the christian forum room and let me know if Jay posts or someone else you have the number! ttyl!
Salva-

p.s. I might be on later on depending on deans paper which he kinda threw at me in spite just to get me offline!
"angel by heart....mistress dressed sexy by night....and by day..just a cool person i guess" By BlueReaper

cawck mongler wrote:Your only option is to quit and become an anti-American Nazi that plays risk.


~*Salva*~
User avatar
Cadet salvadevinemasse
 
Posts: 846
Joined: Thu Nov 23, 2006 8:41 pm
Location: do you really really wanna know?..THEN ASK!

Postby mandalorian2298 on Fri Nov 24, 2006 3:49 pm

Stopper wrote:But racial words ALWAYS convey a certain idea behind them - that someone of one "race" is superior to another based on that race. The fact of the matter is, you can attempt to render the word meaningless, but all that will happen is that another word will come along. Such as C***, W**, K***, T****, C*****, H*******, H****, and so on and so forth.


ALL insults convey a certain idea behin them!! Were it not so and were the idea not insulting THEY WOULDN'T BE CALLED INSULTS!!! As for your idea that you can't call "nigger" or something without beliving one race is superior to other races: You think that because you are a honkey :D And we all know that you white boys ain't all that bright :twisted:

Myself included :D since I'm arguing instead of doing something worth-while
Mishuk gotal'u meshuroke, pako kyore.

Image
User avatar
Lieutenant mandalorian2298
 
Posts: 4371
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2006 3:57 pm
Location: www.chess.com
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Next

Return to Babble-On Five

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron
Login