Conquer Club

I'm going out for a curry

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:31 am

Seems England might need to lose its poor food reputation... :lol:
Corporal PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 3085
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (1) Training Achievement (1)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:18 am

OK - I'm going to tell you how to cook a Raan, quite a posh dish.
I'm not gonna do it all at once, because people don't read long posts and 'cos i don't have time.

There are no difficult techniques in this one, but it does take a long while.

So first a word about spices. I'm gonna suggest that you grind your own which tastes better. If you don't want to or if you can only get ground ones, there's a small extra stage - mix the ground spices together, make them into a paste with a little oil, and gently fry them for 20-3- seconds. This releases the flavours - commercial spices are not useually roasted before grinding.

Secondly a word about the meat. The best meat for this is a leg of mutton, not lamb - it takes to long cooking better. but in the UK there were few enough places where I could buy mutton, and in the US I've found none so far, so lamb will probably have to do. You can substitute beef (any cut that you would roast then slice - nomenclature changes vbetween countries). Or rabbit, though we'd have to reduce the cooking time for that. You can also use turkey, though the technique would be a little different.

I'll be assuming a leg of lamb as I write.

OK, that's a couple of preliminaries, installment 2 later when I get a little time.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
User avatar
Lieutenant jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 2122
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby oVo on Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:47 am

I love spicey food and always thought that curry by Indian standards simply meant "spicey." There is no shortage of great curry sources nearby... with red, green and yellow varieties. Both meaty and vegetarian... though one of my favorite hot dishes locally is called Diablo with a spicier version Diablo Tempestuous... which are not actually typical curried dishes but more of a meaty pasta combo containing chilies, jalapeno and habanero peppers. It's served with a complimentary chocolate milk... to rescue you if your brain starts to boil.

I'm interested in recipes too if you choose to post some jonesy. I encountered a Restraunt in West Phoenix that did a curry buffet (with a wide variety of flat breads) that totally blew me away... and I still get cravings for their amazing cuisine. Most of the people working there were from the Pakastan/India border region and there was a lot of vegetarian fare... and lamb.

Lot's of fabulous Tex-Mex and authentic Mexican food here... Chile Rellenos made with pecans, raisins and sour cream are killer... and Molé. M M M M M now I'm ready for dinner.
User avatar
Major oVo
 
Posts: 3864
Joined: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:41 pm
Location: Antarctica
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby Pedronicus on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:03 pm

I have tried to cook my own curry to the same sort of standard of even the shittest curry house I ever went to, but haven't even come close.

I got a Madhur Jaffrey book a few years ago that has some interesting recipes in it, but to get hold of some of the spices she lists would only be available to someone like me, with access to Walthamstow market.
I never really plan ahead that much in cooking and when i get out a cook book and discover that I need 1/4 teaspoon of kalonji or a pinch of asafetida I close the book and get out my mobile phone.
Image
Highest position 7th. Highest points 3311 All of my graffiti can be found here
Major Pedronicus
 
Posts: 2080
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Busy not shitting you....
Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby sam_levi_11 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:51 pm

Man i just had a Chicken madrass. Good stuff.
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11
 
Posts: 2869
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:48 pm
Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:03 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:OK - I'm going to tell you how to cook a Raan, quite a posh dish.
I'm not gonna do it all at once, because people don't read long posts and 'cos i don't have time.

There are no difficult techniques in this one, but it does take a long while.

So first a word about spices. I'm gonna suggest that you grind your own which tastes better. If you don't want to or if you can only get ground ones, there's a small extra stage - mix the ground spices together, make them into a paste with a little oil, and gently fry them for 20-3- seconds. This releases the flavours - commercial spices are not useually roasted before grinding.

Secondly a word about the meat. The best meat for this is a leg of mutton, not lamb - it takes to long cooking better. but in the UK there were few enough places where I could buy mutton, and in the US I've found none so far, so lamb will probably have to do. You can substitute beef (any cut that you would roast then slice - nomenclature changes vbetween countries). Or rabbit, though we'd have to reduce the cooking time for that. You can also use turkey, though the technique would be a little different.

I'll be assuming a leg of lamb as I write.



OK, that's a couple of preliminaries, installment 2 later when I get a little time.


OK - the fresh spice:
Get two tablespoons of coriander seeds and 1 of sesame, 4 green cardamoms, and a pinch of fennel seeds.
Shove 'em in a wok or a heavy saucepan, and put over a low heat with no oil or anything. swirls 'em around the pan until they smell good. Don't burn 'em.
Now grind 'em (in a food processor, or with a pestle and mortar or in a proper spice grinder (mine cost about $20 - some people use a coffee grinder, but it's gotta be a dedicated one).

If you can only get pre-ground spice, use the oil trick as above. You'll need less unless your spices are more than 6 months old.

This mix is now going to be added to two cups of plain yoghurt, with a dash of sesame oil, the juice and zest of a fresh lime, 4 chopped garlic cloves, 3 fresh small green chilies, a chopped onion, a handful of ground almond, and a pinch of salt (prefereably sea salt).

Dump all that lot into a blender and turn it on until its all mixed up. It shouldn't be too thick - you should be able to pour it. If it's too thick add more yoghurt of some milk, a bit at a time. Add some fresh-chopped coriander leaf (cilantro), about a half a cup. Or about a tablespoon of dried. Stir it in.

Now stick it in the fridge to let the flavours blend together and turn to the leg of lamb.

Episode 3 later.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
User avatar
Lieutenant jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 2122
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby PLAYER57832 on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:23 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:Secondly a word about the meat. The best meat for this is a leg of mutton, not lamb - it takes to long cooking better. but in the UK there were few enough places where I could buy mutton, and in the US I've found none so far, so lamb will probably have to do. You can substitute beef (any cut that you would roast then slice - nomenclature changes vbetween countries). Or rabbit, though we'd have to reduce the cooking time for that. You can also use turkey, though the technique would be a little different.


Is it a great loss to use beef?

Lamb is hard to get and VERY expensive when we can get it, here. As for fresh spices... I can dream! (Or, perhaps, make a trip to Pittsburgh some day).

I used to be able to get mutton when I lived in the Sacto, CA area, but not anywhere else.
Corporal PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 3085
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (1) Training Achievement (1)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:36 pm

Beef's fine. Use a cheaper cut which will stand a long cook , but one which is marbled with fat rather than having an outer layer of fat. Trimmed brisket might work rather well.This is originally a Hindi dish I believe which would be why we wouldn't be eating a cow...
Incidentally goat (not kid) works very well too.

Most spices can be ordered over the net I think. P&P shouldn't be too high.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
User avatar
Lieutenant jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 2122
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:43 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:OK - I'm going to tell you how to cook a Raan, quite a posh dish.
I'm not gonna do it all at once, because people don't read long posts and 'cos i don't have time.

There are no difficult techniques in this one, but it does take a long while.

So first a word about spices. I'm gonna suggest that you grind your own which tastes better. If you don't want to or if you can only get ground ones, there's a small extra stage - mix the ground spices together, make them into a paste with a little oil, and gently fry them for 20-3- seconds. This releases the flavours - commercial spices are not useually roasted before grinding.

Secondly a word about the meat. The best meat for this is a leg of mutton, not lamb - it takes to long cooking better. but in the UK there were few enough places where I could buy mutton, and in the US I've found none so far, so lamb will probably have to do. You can substitute beef (any cut that you would roast then slice - nomenclature changes vbetween countries). Or rabbit, though we'd have to reduce the cooking time for that. You can also use turkey, though the technique would be a little different.

I'll be assuming a leg of lamb as I write.



OK, that's a couple of preliminaries, installment 2 later when I get a little time.


OK - the fresh spice:
Get two tablespoons of coriander seeds and 1 of sesame, 4 green cardamoms, and a pinch of fennel seeds.
Shove 'em in a wok or a heavy saucepan, and put over a low heat with no oil or anything. swirls 'em around the pan until they smell good. Don't burn 'em.
Now grind 'em (in a food processor, or with a pestle and mortar or in a proper spice grinder (mine cost about $20 - some people use a coffee grinder, but it's gotta be a dedicated one).

If you can only get pre-ground spice, use the oil trick as above. You'll need less unless your spices are more than 6 months old.

This mix is now going to be added to two cups of plain yoghurt, with a dash of sesame oil, the juice and zest of a fresh lime, 4 chopped garlic cloves, 3 fresh small green chilies, a chopped onion, a handful of ground almond, and a pinch of salt (prefereably sea salt).

Dump all that lot into a blender and turn it on until its all mixed up. It shouldn't be too thick - you should be able to pour it. If it's too thick add more yoghurt of some milk, a bit at a time. Add some fresh-chopped coriander leaf (cilantro), about a half a cup. Or about a tablespoon of dried. Stir it in.

Now stick it in the fridge to let the flavours blend together and turn to the leg of lamb.

Episode 3 later.


Episode 3.
Take the lamb.
I'm assuming the thigh, and I insist on bone-in.
Remove the skin if necessary and trim any visible fat layer. Now, with a skewer or a fork, stab the leg thoroughly and deeply repeatedy, so the marinade can get in there and, um, marinate.

spread the yoghurty mix over the joint. Wrap in aluminium foil and return to the fridge for 2-3 days. (most restaurants that make this dish require 24 hours notice. IN my opinion this is not long enough.)

We are almost there. Now go and buy about four ounces of shelled almonds (raw).

Last installment tomorrow.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
User avatar
Lieutenant jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 2122
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby DAZMCFC on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:17 am

jonesthecurl wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:OK - I'm going to tell you how to cook a Raan, quite a posh dish.
I'm not gonna do it all at once, because people don't read long posts and 'cos i don't have time.

There are no difficult techniques in this one, but it does take a long while.

So first a word about spices. I'm gonna suggest that you grind your own which tastes better. If you don't want to or if you can only get ground ones, there's a small extra stage - mix the ground spices together, make them into a paste with a little oil, and gently fry them for 20-3- seconds. This releases the flavours - commercial spices are not useually roasted before grinding.

Secondly a word about the meat. The best meat for this is a leg of mutton, not lamb - it takes to long cooking better. but in the UK there were few enough places where I could buy mutton, and in the US I've found none so far, so lamb will probably have to do. You can substitute beef (any cut that you would roast then slice - nomenclature changes vbetween countries). Or rabbit, though we'd have to reduce the cooking time for that. You can also use turkey, though the technique would be a little different.

I'll be assuming a leg of lamb as I write.



OK, that's a couple of preliminaries, installment 2 later when I get a little time.


OK - the fresh spice:
Get two tablespoons of coriander seeds and 1 of sesame, 4 green cardamoms, and a pinch of fennel seeds.
Shove 'em in a wok or a heavy saucepan, and put over a low heat with no oil or anything. swirls 'em around the pan until they smell good. Don't burn 'em.
Now grind 'em (in a food processor, or with a pestle and mortar or in a proper spice grinder (mine cost about $20 - some people use a coffee grinder, but it's gotta be a dedicated one).

If you can only get pre-ground spice, use the oil trick as above. You'll need less unless your spices are more than 6 months old.

This mix is now going to be added to two cups of plain yoghurt, with a dash of sesame oil, the juice and zest of a fresh lime, 4 chopped garlic cloves, 3 fresh small green chilies, a chopped onion, a handful of ground almond, and a pinch of salt (prefereably sea salt).

Dump all that lot into a blender and turn it on until its all mixed up. It shouldn't be too thick - you should be able to pour it. If it's too thick add more yoghurt of some milk, a bit at a time. Add some fresh-chopped coriander leaf (cilantro), about a half a cup. Or about a tablespoon of dried. Stir it in.

Now stick it in the fridge to let the flavours blend together and turn to the leg of lamb.

Episode 3 later.


Episode 3.
Take the lamb.
I'm assuming the thigh, and I insist on bone-in.
Remove the skin if necessary and trim any visible fat layer. Now, with a skewer or a fork, stab the leg thoroughly and deeply repeatedy, so the marinade can get in there and, um, marinate.

spread the yoghurty mix over the joint. Wrap in aluminium foil and return to the fridge for 2-3 days. (most restaurants that make this dish require 24 hours notice. IN my opinion this is not long enough.)

We are almost there. Now go and buy about four ounces of shelled almonds (raw).

Last installment tomorrow.



a spice used in many a curry over here curl is Garam massala. try and add that to the dish. ;)
Image
high score:2765
high place:116
User avatar
Major DAZMCFC
 
Posts: 2790
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: The Pleasant Chaps....
Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby nagerous on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:38 am

Image
User avatar
Captain nagerous
 
Posts: 7505
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:39 am
Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (14)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:46 pm

DAZMCFC wrote:a spice used in many a curry over here curl is Garam massala. try and add that to the dish. ;)


That's actually a mixture of spices.. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garam_masala )

In fact, it really is a more traditional or spicier version of what is typically marketed as "curry spices" here.
Corporal PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 3085
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (1) Training Achievement (1)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby nagerous on Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:57 pm

I want one, right now, anyone know any still open :p
Image
User avatar
Captain nagerous
 
Posts: 7505
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2007 7:39 am
Medals: 67
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3)
Tournament Achievement (5) General Achievement (10) Clan Achievement (2) Tournament Contribution (2) General Contribution (14)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:16 pm

PLAYER57832 wrote:
DAZMCFC wrote:a spice used in many a curry over here curl is Garam massala. try and add that to the dish. ;)


That's actually a mixture of spices.. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garam_masala )

In fact, it really is a more traditional or spicier version of what is typically marketed as "curry spices" here.


Beat me to it. In fact "Masala" is a word meaning "Mixture of spices". I don't know what "Garam" means - a place name maybe?

I make my own, and I include coriander, cumin, peppercorns, ground ginger, paprika, and bay leaf. I roast the spices as in the recipe. Other chefs will have a different mix.

Again, if you buy a commercial garam masala, it is best to make a paste with a little oil and briefly fry it before adding it to the recipe - this brings out the flavour and aroma.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
User avatar
Lieutenant jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 2122
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:31 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:OK - I'm going to tell you how to cook a Raan, quite a posh dish.
I'm not gonna do it all at once, because people don't read long posts and 'cos i don't have time.

There are no difficult techniques in this one, but it does take a long while.

So first a word about spices. I'm gonna suggest that you grind your own which tastes better. If you don't want to or if you can only get ground ones, there's a small extra stage - mix the ground spices together, make them into a paste with a little oil, and gently fry them for 20-3- seconds. This releases the flavours - commercial spices are not useually roasted before grinding.

Secondly a word about the meat. The best meat for this is a leg of mutton, not lamb - it takes to long cooking better. but in the UK there were few enough places where I could buy mutton, and in the US I've found none so far, so lamb will probably have to do. You can substitute beef (any cut that you would roast then slice - nomenclature changes vbetween countries). Or rabbit, though we'd have to reduce the cooking time for that. You can also use turkey, though the technique would be a little different.

I'll be assuming a leg of lamb as I write.



OK, that's a couple of preliminaries, installment 2 later when I get a little time.


OK - the fresh spice:
Get two tablespoons of coriander seeds and 1 of sesame, 4 green cardamoms, and a pinch of fennel seeds.
Shove 'em in a wok or a heavy saucepan, and put over a low heat with no oil or anything. swirls 'em around the pan until they smell good. Don't burn 'em.
Now grind 'em (in a food processor, or with a pestle and mortar or in a proper spice grinder (mine cost about $20 - some people use a coffee grinder, but it's gotta be a dedicated one).

If you can only get pre-ground spice, use the oil trick as above. You'll need less unless your spices are more than 6 months old.

This mix is now going to be added to two cups of plain yoghurt, with a dash of sesame oil, the juice and zest of a fresh lime, 4 chopped garlic cloves, 3 fresh small green chilies, a chopped onion, a handful of ground almond, and a pinch of salt (prefereably sea salt).

Dump all that lot into a blender and turn it on until its all mixed up. It shouldn't be too thick - you should be able to pour it. If it's too thick add more yoghurt of some milk, a bit at a time. Add some fresh-chopped coriander leaf (cilantro), about a half a cup. Or about a tablespoon of dried. Stir it in.

Now stick it in the fridge to let the flavours blend together and turn to the leg of lamb.

Episode 3 later.


Episode 3.
Take the lamb.
I'm assuming the thigh, and I insist on bone-in.
Remove the skin if necessary and trim any visible fat layer. Now, with a skewer or a fork, stab the leg thoroughly and deeply repeatedy, so the marinade can get in there and, um, marinate.

spread the yoghurty mix over the joint. Wrap in aluminium foil and return to the fridge for 2-3 days. (most restaurants that make this dish require 24 hours notice. IN my opinion this is not long enough.)

We are almost there. Now go and buy about four ounces of shelled almonds (raw).

Last installment tomorrow.


Now we cook the meat. Incidentally, I don't seem to have mentioned that the leg joint should be weighing 3 or 4 pounds.
We cook it long and slow.
I guess the ideal place to cook it would be in a Tandor - but I've never had one.
One of those outdoor clay ovens like you see in the Mediterranean or Mexico would probably be good (I never used one of those either), or for a real USA twist, a barbecue pit.

But assuming you're using a conventional oven, you want it on a low setting (about 325 F or 175 C). Cook for 3 hours, then open the foil and and cook at the lowest possible setting for another 40 minutes.

During this last bit, take the almonds and toss them in a bag with a teaspoon of chili powder, a teaspoon of paprika, and a teaspoon of icing/confectioners sugar. Dry-fry them for about two minutes on a low heat.

Spoon all the sauce over the leg (you may need to stir it up a little to get all the juices incorporated).
Sprinkle the almonds over the top, garnish with a sprig of coriender leaf/cilantro, and serve. You shoudn't need to carve - stick a fork in it and the meat will literally fall off the bone.

I hope some of you'll try this. Would you like to hear more recipes?
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
User avatar
Lieutenant jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 2122
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby StiffMittens on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:35 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:...Would you like to hear more recipes?

Yes. Absolutely.
Image
User avatar
Sergeant StiffMittens
 
Posts: 47
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:25 am
Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:49 pm

Oh, just as an aside - I've several times said something about "the three best curry restaurants i've eaten in".
Here they are, though I couldn't garuantee they're all still there.
Not in order of merit - they are all astoundingly good.

The Jewel in the Crown in Shirley, Southampton. Guide books used to tell you teo eat at "Kuti's" in this city. Ignore 'em. Kuti;s is overpriced and over-rated. My very favourite dish (and this will elicit "Ewww!" from some of you, but trust me it's good) was the curried liver. I forget the name of the dish.
Hussein's in Stratford-on-Avon. Their mushroom bhaji is divine. I may do a mushroom bhaji recipe next, but i can't match theirs. They wouldnn't tell me the recipe, though I begged.Shamelessly.
The Panahar in Hamsey Green, Surrey. They have taken their Raan off the menu now, as it's too much bother. But if you are going to go there, phone 'em up a coupla days in advance and tell 'em you've heard how good it is and will they please, please, make an exception? It's worked for me the last two times I visited the U.K.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
User avatar
Lieutenant jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 2122
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby pimpdave on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:09 pm

jones, this thread rules.


MOAR
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Anti Tea Party Death Squad Task Force Headquarters
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby jonesthecurl on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:18 pm

Dave, you're close enough to come and try some of my food sometime.
Mebbe next time I try to get the locals to play boardgames?
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
User avatar
Lieutenant jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 2122
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby pimpdave on Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:20 pm

Just tell me what kind of wine to bring.
jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave
 
Posts: 1083
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:15 am
Location: Anti Tea Party Death Squad Task Force Headquarters
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (1)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby Pedronicus on Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:38 am

pimpdave wrote:Just tell me what kind of wine to bring.

Wine is a no no. Curry + Lager = perfection
Image
Highest position 7th. Highest points 3311 All of my graffiti can be found here
Major Pedronicus
 
Posts: 2080
Joined: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:42 pm
Location: Busy not shitting you....
Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (4)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby DAZMCFC on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:05 am

PLAYER57832 wrote:
DAZMCFC wrote:a spice used in many a curry over here curl is Garam massala. try and add that to the dish. ;)


That's actually a mixture of spices.. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garam_masala )

In fact, it really is a more traditional or spicier version of what is typically marketed as "curry spices" here.



after i post that, i thought it would comeback and bite me on the arse. :D
i just couldn't be arsed to check it.
Image
high score:2765
high place:116
User avatar
Major DAZMCFC
 
Posts: 2790
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: The Pleasant Chaps....
Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby DAZMCFC on Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:05 am

'
Last edited by DAZMCFC on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image
high score:2765
high place:116
User avatar
Major DAZMCFC
 
Posts: 2790
Joined: Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:25 pm
Location: The Pleasant Chaps....
Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby jonesthecurl on Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:25 am

OK - Mushroom bhaji

The mushrooms should be just plain old eatin' mushrooms - no shitake, porcini, or even portobello, and certainly nothing dried and rehydrated.
If they're small buttons use 'em whole, if they're a bit bigger halve or quarter 'em.

Get out the food processor, and bung in it two cloves of garlic and a large white onion.

Puree them, then fry, stirring. (the oil should not have too much taste: canola/rapeseed or sunflower would be good) until the puree is just turnign to a light brown colour

Roast and grind a teaspoon of coriander seed and a teaspoon of cumin (as in the previous recipe). mix this, with a pinch of ground turneric and a teaspoon each of chili powder and paprika, into a paste with some soy sauce (If you can get mushroom soy, even better). Add this to the onion with splash of stock or white wine. Keep cooking at a low heat, adding a little more stock or wine in installments (between a half a cup and a cup altogether), for about 5 minutes.

The mixture should definitely move about a bit, but not be too runny.
Add the mushrooms, a few chopped fresh coriander leaves (cilantro), and two small chilies, deseeded and finely chopped.


About a minute later, you're done. Serve hot and as fresh as possible.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
User avatar
Lieutenant jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 2122
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 26
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (1)
Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Bot Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:35 am

Do you eat this "plain" or over noodles/ rice ?
Corporal PLAYER57832
 
Posts: 3085
Joined: Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:17 am
Location: Pennsylvania
Medals: 31
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
General Achievement (1) Training Achievement (1)

PreviousNext

Return to I Didn't Like Cats

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: jonesthecurl, Thorthoth