I'm going out for a curry

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Global Moderators, Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: I'm going out for a curry

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:00 am

Incidentally, should you have vegan dinner guests, use yeast (assuming they don't consider yeast to be animals) and replace the yoghurt with thick coconut milk, and the ghee with a vegetable ghee or peanut oil.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
Sergeant 1st Class jonesthecurl

Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Postby PLAYER57832 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:36 am

jonesthecurl wrote:I Secondly, if you can get it, the flour should include about a half "ata" flour. This may be called "roti" or "chapatti"flour. If you can't get it use a good wholemeal.

Is this a wheat flour or some other grain?

If you use whole wheat flour, should it be somewhat course or rather fine.. that is, more like cornmeal?

I found references, but nothing that explained the consitency.
Corporal 1st Class PLAYER57832

Medals: 30
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:07 pm

It's to do with the amount of gluten I think - the "ata" is coarser, and a stoneground wholemeal is a good substitute. It's probably to do with whether the husks are left in or taken out.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)

Postby sam_levi_11 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:10 pm

Wow, you really are knowledgeable on curry. Pretty amazing.
Sergeant 1st Class sam_levi_11

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:14 pm

you must have some good curry places in your area, Sam.
have a chat with the people in the kitchen (not the owner) - you could learn a lot.

Postby sam_levi_11 on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:43 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:you must have some good curry places in your area, Sam.
have a chat with the people in the kitchen (not the owner) - you could learn a lot.
Yeah, there are quite a few good ones, i might just do that.

Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (2)

Postby jonesthecurl on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:33 pm

So, do people want more recipes?
and if so, do you want quick ones or more like the raan?
I have a kicking beef one with so much spice in it's frightening, which cooks for a long long while and is amazingly mild at the end of the process.

Postby StiffMittens on Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:54 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:So, do people want more recipes?
I have a kicking beef one with so much spice in it's frightening, which cooks for a long long while and is amazingly mild at the end of the process.

I'd love to see more recipes. Truthfully, I'll probably never make raan, but having that recipe gives me ideas to experiment with other dishes. So I'd be interested in seeing recipes for more involved, exotic dishes. But if you have some quick and easy ones, I'd love to see those too.
Sergeant StiffMittens

Medals: 5
Standard Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby CrabNebula on Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:12 am

"Ata" normally refers to coarser wheat flour, the one made by including husks as jonesthecurl said. While the fine wheat flour, also called Maida is normally used to make "Paranthas" and "Pooris", though it is an all purpose flour.
Sergeant 1st Class CrabNebula

Standard Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1)

Postby Pedronicus on Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:41 am

I'd like more recipies. It will drive my girlfriend mad that I have CC open, to refer to, when cooking.
Highest position 7th. Highest points 3311 All of my graffiti can be found here
Major Pedronicus

Medals: 71
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (6) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (13) Tournament Contribution (4)

Postby Neoteny on Tue Jun 16, 2009 11:54 am

Winthread is win.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Sergeant 1st Class Neoteny

Medals: 29
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (2)

Postby sam_levi_11 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:46 pm

Pedronicus wrote:I'd like more recipies. It will drive my girlfriend mad that I have CC open, to refer to, when cooking.
Haha yer i know what you mean!

Also yes id love more recipes, as although the raan sounds gorgeous, ill probably never make it myself, more likely find a takeaway that does it haha. But yer, id like more recipes, and ill choose one of the ones to make maybe.

Postby DAZMCFC on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:45 am

Pedronicus wrote:I'd like more recipies. It will drive my girlfriend mad that I have CC open, to refer to, when cooking.

you play a dangerous game Pedro.
high score:2765
high place:116
Major DAZMCFC

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby StiffMittens on Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:48 am

DAZMCFC wrote:

you play a dangerous game Pedro.

What better way to spice up the romance?

Spice up? Sorry for the bad pun. :oops:
Sergeant StiffMittens

Standard Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:58 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:So, do people want more recipes?

More please!

I will likely be able to try quick ones with readily available (US) ingredients sooner, but any recipe is welcome.

Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (4)
Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Ratings Achievement (4)
Training Achievement (1)

Postby jonesthecurl on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:15 pm

OK folks, I've been abit busy, but sometime in the next day or two I'll post some major information.

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:15 pm

Well, it took longer than I thought to get round to this, end of term is a busy time.

Anyhoo, there's a fairly open secret about Indian restaurants.
It's not true of them all, especially the most expensive, innovative, or authentic.
But in about 95% of UK Indians, and every one I've been in so far in the US it is.
The bigger the menu the more you can be sure that this is true:

Out there in the kitchen is a big vat of bubbling goo. It smells good, it's made fresh every day (it's the first thing the staff do when they arrive) and it's the basis of most of the dishes that the restaurant serves. A large batch of lamb and chicken is cooked up, and depending on what you order, extra spices or other ingredients wil be added to the base along with the protein. If fish is involved, it may not be pre-cooked, if prawn/shrimp is involved, it may even be bought pre-cooked.

Those who are not used to spicy food will find the base interesting enough in itslef. I'll tell you about the way to turn it into different standard dishes later.

Meanwhile I suggest you make a big batch, and then freeze it in portions of about 3 cups size which will provide the sauce for a dish for 4.

Here's the way I make my bubbly goo- each restaurant has their own version, some very different from this.
INcidentally the restaurant will probably call this a "Masala gravy". It won't matter too much if you can't get all the spices or if you substitute here and there.

"Goo for curries" recipe.

First, grind (or buy ready ground)
1 ounce each of coriander seed, and cumin seed,and fenugreek seed.
and mix them with an ounce each of paprika, turmeric and garlic powder,
a teaspoon each of chili powder, ground cinnamon and powdered ginger, a tablespoon of dried mint, two finely-chopped bay leaves and a generous helping of fresh-ground black pepper.

Add a littel peanut, sunflower, or canola/rape oil to make a paste, and fry for about a minute.

Now make or buy 4 ounces of ghee and heat it high, though you shouldn't burn it.
(If you have a wok, that's the ideal vessel for cooking this up)
Finely chop two whole bulbs of garlic (removing the "paper" and stalk first) and add it to the hot ghee.
Gently stir it for around a minute, until the garlic glistens. Then turn the heat right down.
Add about 2 ounces of ginger, very finely chopped, and about 2 pounds of big yellow onions, peeled and very finely chopped.
Stir this lot from time to time for about ten minutes, the whole lot should caramelise and be faintly brown.
Add the paste you just fried and about 20 fluid ounces of water. Stir well.
The goo should have the consisitency of a very thick soup, like say lentil soup, or say like a thin porridge.
If it is lumpy, blend it in a blender of with a hand-held.

You're done! Pot it, freeze it, store it.

Postby PLAYER57832 on Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:58 am

Sounds wonderful! Cannot wait to give it a try!

Training Achievement (1)

Postby jonesthecurl on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:42 pm

I can't find my notes right now on how to turn the Masala Gravy into the right sauce for various dishes.

The basic principle is add chilies and other spices until it's hot enough.

The only recipe I could find was for Phall, which I cannot recommend, it includes mainly 6 red and 6 green chilies, including seeds.

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:48 am

jonesthecurl wrote:I can't find my notes right now on how to turn the Masala Gravy into the right sauce for various dishes.

The basic principle is add chilies and other spices until it's hot enough.

The only recipe I could find was for Phall, which I cannot recommend, it includes mainly 6 red and 6 green chilies, including seeds.

I can tolerate a fair amount of spice, but the rest of my family is very light-weight, so "as is" is probably spicey enough for us... lol (though I may make a separate version for me)

Training Achievement (1)

Postby jonesthecurl on Fri Jun 26, 2009 12:58 pm

When I have a dinner party featuring curry, I often put out two chutneys, one to cool down (basically a raita, with yoghurt) and one to warm up (lots of chili. coriander leaves (cilantro), vinegar.

Postby PLAYER57832 on Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:00 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:When I have a dinner party featuring curry, I often put out two chutneys, one to cool down (basically a raita, with yoghurt) and one to warm up (lots of chili. coriander leaves (cilantro), vinegar.

good idea, I will try that!

Training Achievement (1)

Postby DAZMCFC on Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:17 pm

DAZMCFC wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:Traditionally, British "Indian" restaurants (actually very often Bangla-Deshi) had a standard menu in which the spice heat would be arbitrarily measured by a regional nomenclature only vaguely related to reality - so that "Vindaloo" would be really hot, "Madras" would be pretty hot etc. Many macho lager-drinkers would actually challenge each other to eat hotter and hotter curries, leading to the invention of the ludicrously-named "Tindaloo". Eating curry became sometimes a macho competition rather than a pleasant experience.

actually Curl there is a curry that is rated hotter than a Tindaloo. it's called a Thal/Phal/Fal (depending on the curry house). far too hot for my liking, but a lad in work can polish it off.

here is your curry, phall, very spicey indeed.
high score:2765
high place:116
Major DAZMCFC

Medals: 15
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (3)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3)

Postby AAFitz on Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:35 pm

bastard...almost made me have to go out for curry......

the mrs saw your post and you sparked the idea
john9blue wrote:"honestly i think martin might be better off dead"

sekretar: "i go to russia and then, without comp, i hoppe, i forgot this shit who kill my nerves long time!"

http://i.imgur.com/zU8yLiU.gif
Captain AAFitz

Medals: 84
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (3)
Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (8) General Achievement (2)
Clan Achievement (8) Tournament Contribution (8) General Contribution (2)

Postby jonesthecurl on Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:02 pm

DAZMCFC wrote:
DAZMCFC wrote:
jonesthecurl wrote:Traditionally, British "Indian" restaurants (actually very often Bangla-Deshi) had a standard menu in which the spice heat would be arbitrarily measured by a regional nomenclature only vaguely related to reality - so that "Vindaloo" would be really hot, "Madras" would be pretty hot etc. Many macho lager-drinkers would actually challenge each other to eat hotter and hotter curries, leading to the invention of the ludicrously-named "Tindaloo". Eating curry became sometimes a macho competition rather than a pleasant experience.

actually Curl there is a curry that is rated hotter than a Tindaloo. it's called a Thal/Phal/Fal (depending on the curry house). far too hot for my liking, but a lad in work can polish it off.

here is your curry, phall, very spicey indeed.

Actually, I do have the method for turning the masala gravy into a phal sauce, I wn't have time to post it for a coupla weeks.
Personally I'll never eat a phall - the point, for me , at which food is too spicy, is when I can only taste the spice, and have no idea what the food is underneath. Phall is way past that.

PreviousNext

Return to Babble-On Five