the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderators: Community Team, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby muy_thaiguy on Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:45 pm

Watched a couple vids of it, and thought the RP and political intrigue of this game, combined with the Total War series battle gameplat would be an awesome combo.
Now is not the time to divide ourselves, to relish in letters by men long dead. Now is the time to come and work together in order to bring this country onto the right track. We are all citizens of this country, it is time to treat eachother as equals.
User avatar
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy
 
Posts: 11483
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 11:20 am
Location: Back in Black
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby DoomYoshi on Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:07 pm

muy_thaiguy wrote:Watched a couple vids of it, and thought the RP and political intrigue of this game, combined with the Total War series battle gameplat would be an awesome combo.


Image
show
User avatar
Sergeant 1st Class DoomYoshi
Entertainment Coordinator
Entertainment Coordinator
 
Posts: 3965
Joined: Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:30 pm
Location: Termina Field
Medals: 72
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (2) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (8) Clan Achievement (16)
Tournament Contribution (6) General Contribution (5)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby Quirk on Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:56 am

BPotW

Image
Image
"Zungguzungguguzungguzeng"
-Yellowman
pancakemix wrote:Quirk, you are a bastard. That is all.
User avatar
Major Quirk
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:27 pm
Location: Athens, Georgia
Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (1)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:21 am

AndyDufresne wrote:I don't want to clog the Video Game topic, so I'm going to use this topic for updates to a Grand Strategy PC game I picked up recently:

show: Update 1


show: Update 2


Pretty sure my next plans are, since everything is out in the open about the assassination plot, is to both try to assassinate the king fast with a somewhat haphazard-low chance attempt, and then commit to civil war since my armies are pretty strong, my prestige is up, my coffers are full, and I've been slowly improving relations with the Danes across the sea, in hopes they'll support my effort.

**Munches on a banana while carefully weighing his options.**


The succession crisis has ended. Macbeth was overthrown by my duke, the ugly and strong Gerlach. He could not withstand my personal levies, in addition to a nice band of Saxon mercenaries I hired as well. Shortly thereafter, my king led an expedition deeper into Ireland. My father claimed Ulster under his crown previously, and I was able to claim 3 additional counties in Ireland, with some gracious help from the Danes who I've been fostering good relations with...so now our kingdom extends to 1/3 or so the island.

Now back on the throne, my wife has been pumping out the children (I think I have 7 children now), and my eldest son is becoming a terrific warrior and steward, so he'll end up being a good king. I gave him some of the newly conquered lands in Ireland. My wife also gave birth to a daughter with a "dwarf" trait, but I've been personally educating her and I am turning her into a brilliant diplomat. I'm not quite up on the strategy for preventing further succession crises, so I married matrilineally off my other sons to go live with another kingdom's court (which isn't a great thing, since they leave my court, and essentially give up their heritage). But at least it will work.

I'm continuing to foster relations with the Frankish and Danish kings, since eventually I'd like to take over the entire British Isles, but England will be the toughest, so hopefully I'll be able to rope in my allies into the eventual battle. I'm also hoping to go on a few crusades soon.

**Munches on a banana**


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25472
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby Gillipig on Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:17 pm

Couldn't help it. I got the game now too! Haven't played much but I've learned one or two things already.
#1:
Don't proclaim a holy war against pagan tribes unless you want to fight them for years!! I made that misstake and it turned out to be my demise.
I started as Sweden (although by all rights there shouldn't even be a country like that at 1066.) In the beginning I had to fend off my brother in law who proclaimed me a pretender and started a civil war. No doubt he felt encouraged by me catching a mortal disease (can't remember which). Anyway I captured the pagan believing infidel and executed him, all his bannermen layed down their weapons because they were now sworn to my wife who was his sister. She didn't seem to mind me killing him at all actually. So that went well but unfortunately I had early on made the misstake of starting a holy war aginst livonia, or the islands outside of livonia that is. I took the islands swiftly but had to defend them for years from endless attacks. Meanwhile my mortally dangerous disease finally lingered off. Shortly after getting well I cheated on my queen wife with a norwegian princess I had married to my heir son. She later gave birth to a son who would be my sons first born if he had fathered him that is. Luckily the stunted fool thought the son was his and didn't suspect me at all. I also managed to make my Queen wife at the high age of 37 pregnant, with a daughter, which gives me 5 children in total,or 6 if you count the baby I made with the norwegian princess.
The pointless holy war I started had cost me more than I could afford, I raised the taxes but the peasants rebelled in city after city, and I had to recall the few troops I had. That was when I thought, -oh shit and saved and quit the game. Do I need to say it was fun? :D
I'm sort of thinking I should've attacked Iceland instead, If I marry my heir son to a norwegian princess Norway won't stand up for Iceland and the Icelanders can't put up with much of a fight themselves (I hope).
I really don't want to attack either Denmark or Norway because I don't have the numbers, but I need more land, and Iceland is a great outpost to launch attacks on Ireland from. I can't attack the pagans although that's what i would like to do. There's so many regions in finland, balticum and northern modern sweden I would like to take but if I proclaim a holy war on them they join forces. They are very weak by themselves but when they all stand together, they have much more numbers than I do.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
User avatar
Lieutenant Gillipig
 
Posts: 3560
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:24 pm
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:11 pm

Gillipig wrote:Gili's long post about loving the game.


I'm glad I convinced you, ha. I think Iceland seems to be a natural expansion point for Norway. In my game, it was a Norwegian outpost for quite a while, before it became and independent duchy of Iceland I think.

For the holy wars, I haven't went on any yet, but I have four pieces of information I can pass on:

show


**Munches on a banana**


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25472
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby Gillipig on Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:16 am

I've learned more about the game now and it seems I have zero percent chance of taking Iceland unless I hold Norway first. I can attack Norway because I have de jure claims on bohuslän, and norway can attack iceland because they have de jure claim on Iceland. But I'm not planning on attack Norway anytime soon. I'm married to a norwegian princess, who happens to be the oldest child of her father, so there's a small chance I might even inherit Norway through marriage. That would be one hell of a bonus lol. Makes me want to send an assassin into norway and kill her brothers. I just found out I had de jure claims on most of modern sweden. So I can go beserk on those areas. If I want to attack Finland however, I need to proclaim a holy war on finland, that is not something I'm looking forward to.
Denmark have been successful in their holy wars against lithuania, they have more land there than in their homeland. Not sure what I should attack now, the only de jure claims I have is on Norway and I don't really like holy wars. But if I get some holy soldiers who require no pay, I just might :). I've played 12 years now. How many years have you played?
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
User avatar
Lieutenant Gillipig
 
Posts: 3560
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:24 pm
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby AndyDufresne on Thu Feb 14, 2013 11:11 am

I've been playing for about 100 game years I think. Gerlach, my King who became a Duke and then became a King again, lived until he was about 70, which made his heir pretty angry I think, ha. He reigned for nearly 50 years I think. Unfortunately, the vassals don't quite like his heir, my new king, and they are revolting. But internal revolts are more annoying, since I can usually put them down.

But...Norway took the opportunity to attack me during internal struggles, since they own all of the England, except a piece of land one my Duke's usurped on his own, and they'd like that back. Norway has the third largest army, so I'm getting crushed pretty handedly, even with 2 bands of mercenaries. So I'm probably going to have to surrender the claim and take the prestige hit. This will the first war I've had to surrender in.

On the Bright side, I own half of Ireland.

**Munches on a banana**


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25472
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby Gillipig on Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:55 am

My wars have gone well!! The republic of Gotland has expanded my kingdom into Lithuania and I can make de jure claim down there now. Meanwhile one of my dukes usurped a neighboring part of Norway without conflict. The King of Norway hates me of course now but he has too many rebellions to deal with to pose any threat to me, if I attack them I might unifie them and I don't want to do that. Denmark has been claimed by a French prince, this lead to a civil war in Denmark and somehow the King of France is now I jail resulting in a civil war in France for the crown. I have been successfull in two holy wars, the holy war against Karelia and the holy war against Finland. I now own a large chunk of modern finland as well as most of karelia.

The glorious Kingdom of Sweden is expanding rapidly!! I have more than doubled it's initial size.
I think Sweden is one of the easiest places to start from. You know how there's a difficulty meter in the beginning of the game, when you choose where you want to start from. well Sweden was the easiest place I could find, and also the place I most wanted to start from :). Suited me well for a first game.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
User avatar
Lieutenant Gillipig
 
Posts: 3560
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:24 pm
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:30 am

Gillipig wrote:The glorious Kingdom of Sweden is expanding rapidly!! I have more than doubled it's initial size.
I think Sweden is one of the easiest places to start from. You know how there's a difficulty meter in the beginning of the game, when you choose where you want to start from. well Sweden was the easiest place I could find, and also the place I most wanted to start from :). Suited me well for a first game.

Haha, mhmm. Scotland was on the easier side of the halfway mark as well.

On a bright note, I baked a chocolate cake for VDay, yesterday. **Munches on a banana**


-Andy
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25472
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby Gillipig on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:33 pm

I have usurped the throne of Norway!! Norway belongs to me now! Along with Iceland and the northernmost county of Scotland and all norwegian islands except the faroe islands which is English. I also hold most of Finland and still a big part of Lithuania as well as most of karelia. There seems to be no end to my warrior king's success :D!
Now I'm placed in a dilemma, I have many potential wars I could fight. Shall I;

#1) Declare war on England over the Faroe Islands.
The faroe islands won't bring me much tax nor troops, but it's strategically well positioned, I don't want an english king in control of it when the nearby islands all belong to me.

+ Positive:
It's a de jure claim so most likely no one will come to their aid.
The English king is facing a civil war.

- Negative:
The war could drag on for years if the vassal won't relinguish his rights to the county (If the vassal won't do that I have to make the King of England surrender the county to me, which would mean I'd have to attack mainland England.)
England is a traditionally powerful country, making enemies with them over a small island doesn't seem like a good idea.
The county would not go to me but to one of my norwegian vassals.

#2) Declare war on the Holy Roman Empire over three counties in Norway.
Well when I said I had Norway I actually don't have all of it. Three counties belong to the Holy Roman Empire. But I'm still crowned King of Norway.
For some reason (holy war or de jure) the Holy Roman Empire decided to seize the three most populous counties of Norway (where Oslo is).

+ Positive:
The counties in question would bring me much tax, and in the future, armies due to it's large amount of population.
It's a de jure claim so most likely no one will come to their aid.
I need to assault them sooner or later, it's a great security risk to leave an area so close to the centre of my empire open for an enemy to land troops in.
The inhabitants are christian as well as of the same culture so the vassals will most likely give in to my demands.
It's relatively far from their homeland.
They hold Jerusalem right now and are probably fighting hard just to keep that.
Most likely one of my vassals will declare war on the Holy Roman Empire due to de jure claims, so I might have to fight this war sooner rather than later anyway. (I don't think thery can win over the Holy Roman Empire without my help lol.)

- Negative:
It's the Holy fucking Roman Empire! They are capable of unloading tens of thousands of troops if they aren't busy fighting someone else. That is something no other foe I've faced so far can do.
They are not in a civil war.
The counties would not belong to me but to either my swedish or norwegian vassal (depending on which de jure claim I pursue.)

#3) Declare war on Scotland to expel the excommunicated King of Scotland.
Yes you heard right hehe, the King of Scotland has been cursed by the pope for converting to another religion. He will find no aid from Christian warlords should I attack him.

+ Positive:
If the counties around Oslo would bring in taxes it's nothing compared to what the Kingdom of Scotland would do to my bank balance. In the future I could summon a lot of troops from these counties.
It would make me King of yet another country.
All the scottish counties would belong to me. I could choose which I want to give to vassals, and I can choose which vassals that would be, and I could choose which I would keep for myself. (the good ones hehe)
Scotland is Christian which makes it easier to rule than counties of a different religion than mine. (less chance of revolt)
Strategically easy to attack from above, easy to advance my troops and protect the counties I've just seized.
Scotland is currently dealing with a minor civil war.

- Negative:
Even if no one helps them, it would be a massive war, I have the number on them for sure but my bank balance might not be able to muster a several year long war.
I would have to accept having the Holy Roman Empire on my doorstep while fighting this war.
If I win it will still be hard to hold. England can make de jure claims on it and might push me away right after I seize it.

#4) Declare a holy war over Finland or Karelia.
These would be easy wars at this point. I'd sweep them away in an instant. But would it be worth putting time on?

+ Positive:
Very slim chance of losing.
Quick wars, would be over in a short time.
Large chunks of land. (good for the ego)
Would put further distance between my core counties and Estonia (which is advancing in the region)
All the regions seized would belong to me, for me to do what i want with.

- Negative:
Foreign cultues and foreign religions. Large risk for revolts later.
Not much gain financially, nor in terms of troops.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
User avatar
Lieutenant Gillipig
 
Posts: 3560
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:24 pm
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby mcshanester29 on Fri Feb 15, 2013 7:37 pm

Okay between Andy and Gilli I had to go get the game as well....still learning a bit about it but seems to be a lot of fun. I started by Russia and succeeded in a holy war. But having a heck of a time with factions, revolts, and invading armies....I think I might have to try from Sweden to start with.lol
User avatar
Lieutenant mcshanester29
Tournament Director
Tournament Director
 
Posts: 7761
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:09 pm
Location: ID, USA
Medals: 164
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (21)
General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (33) Challenge Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (10)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby muy_thaiguy on Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:37 pm

Gillipig wrote:I have usurped the throne of Norway!! Norway belongs to me now! Along with Iceland and the northernmost county of Scotland and all norwegian islands except the faroe islands which is English. I also hold most of Finland and still a big part of Lithuania as well as most of karelia. There seems to be no end to my warrior king's success :D!
Now I'm placed in a dilemma, I have many potential wars I could fight. Shall I;

#1) Declare war on England over the Faroe Islands.
The faroe islands won't bring me much tax nor troops, but it's strategically well positioned, I don't want an english king in control of it when the nearby islands all belong to me.

+ Positive:
It's a de jure claim so most likely no one will come to their aid.
The English king is facing a civil war.

- Negative:
The war could drag on for years if the vassal won't relinguish his rights to the county (If the vassal won't do that I have to make the King of England surrender the county to me, which would mean I'd have to attack mainland England.)
England is a traditionally powerful country, making enemies with them over a small island doesn't seem like a good idea.
The county would not go to me but to one of my norwegian vassals.

#2) Declare war on the Holy Roman Empire over three counties in Norway.
Well when I said I had Norway I actually don't have all of it. Three counties belong to the Holy Roman Empire. But I'm still crowned King of Norway.
For some reason (holy war or de jure) the Holy Roman Empire decided to seize the three most populous counties of Norway (where Oslo is).

+ Positive:
The counties in question would bring me much tax, and in the future, armies due to it's large amount of population.
It's a de jure claim so most likely no one will come to their aid.
I need to assault them sooner or later, it's a great security risk to leave an area so close to the centre of my empire open for an enemy to land troops in.
The inhabitants are christian as well as of the same culture so the vassals will most likely give in to my demands.
It's relatively far from their homeland.
They hold Jerusalem right now and are probably fighting hard just to keep that.
Most likely one of my vassals will declare war on the Holy Roman Empire due to de jure claims, so I might have to fight this war sooner rather than later anyway. (I don't think thery can win over the Holy Roman Empire without my help lol.)

- Negative:
It's the Holy fucking Roman Empire! They are capable of unloading tens of thousands of troops if they aren't busy fighting someone else. That is something no other foe I've faced so far can do.
They are not in a civil war.
The counties would not belong to me but to either my swedish or norwegian vassal (depending on which de jure claim I pursue.)

#3) Declare war on Scotland to expel the excommunicated King of Scotland.
Yes you heard right hehe, the King of Scotland has been cursed by the pope for converting to another religion. He will find no aid from Christian warlords should I attack him.

+ Positive:
If the counties around Oslo would bring in taxes it's nothing compared to what the Kingdom of Scotland would do to my bank balance. In the future I could summon a lot of troops from these counties.
It would make me King of yet another country.
All the scottish counties would belong to me. I could choose which I want to give to vassals, and I can choose which vassals that would be, and I could choose which I would keep for myself. (the good ones hehe)
Scotland is Christian which makes it easier to rule than counties of a different religion than mine. (less chance of revolt)
Strategically easy to attack from above, easy to advance my troops and protect the counties I've just seized.
Scotland is currently dealing with a minor civil war.

- Negative:
Even if no one helps them, it would be a massive war, I have the number on them for sure but my bank balance might not be able to muster a several year long war.
I would have to accept having the Holy Roman Empire on my doorstep while fighting this war.
If I win it will still be hard to hold. England can make de jure claims on it and might push me away right after I seize it.

#4) Declare a holy war over Finland or Karelia.
These would be easy wars at this point. I'd sweep them away in an instant. But would it be worth putting time on?

+ Positive:
Very slim chance of losing.
Quick wars, would be over in a short time.
Large chunks of land. (good for the ego)
Would put further distance between my core counties and Estonia (which is advancing in the region)
All the regions seized would belong to me, for me to do what i want with.

- Negative:
Foreign cultues and foreign religions. Large risk for revolts later.
Not much gain financially, nor in terms of troops.

Take the English islands first and solidify them to yourself by having very loyal vassels control them. From there, hit Scotland, fast and hard. In the meanwhile, keep your territories bordering the Holy Roman Empire well fortified, just to be on the safe side. Maybe make an alliance or a pact with them if you can. Anyways, after Scotland, solidify yourself by keeping it under control of trusted vassels and strong armies. Strong enough to keep the English from instantly attacking, but not so large it drains your money. From there, you now have some good places from where you can launch attacks from, as well as more money with taking Scotland.
Now is not the time to divide ourselves, to relish in letters by men long dead. Now is the time to come and work together in order to bring this country onto the right track. We are all citizens of this country, it is time to treat eachother as equals.
User avatar
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy
 
Posts: 11483
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 11:20 am
Location: Back in Black
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby AndyDufresne on Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:31 pm

Steam is having an epic Crusader Kings 2 sale. You can get it for 9.99. Some of the DLC is also discounted as well for the next few days.

**Munches on a banana**


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25472
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby Gillipig on Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:53 am

mcshanester29 wrote:Okay between Andy and Gilli I had to go get the game as well....still learning a bit about it but seems to be a lot of fun. I started by Russia and succeeded in a holy war. But having a heck of a time with factions, revolts, and invading armies....I think I might have to try from Sweden to start with.lol

It's shockingly much fun! And there's so much you can do in the game, so much strategy to plan. Not only where to attack, but who to marry, where to improve your diplomatic situation, what to do with your council members, who should be your council members, your vassals, changing the laws, the list is endless. And your choices matters. It's not like who you marry doesn't mean anything, your heir will take after his mother as much as he takes after you so you can't just choose any woman. Furthermore if she's royal you can make claims to her fathers throne when he's dead. I ended up later usurping Norway through marrying the oldest of the norwegian princesses to my heir. A slick move to say the least hehe.
Sweden is a good place to start from. Watch out for the early civil war between you and your uncle though. He will most likely name you a pretender and start a civil war on you. And you start as mortally ill. In the game I play now my first king lived eight days before he died and my uncle immediately started a civil war. But I've also played a game where he survived. Nothing is certain, it doesn't get boring because the same things doesn't happen over and over, some things are more likely to happen though. Since your uncle has a strong claim on the throne and doesn't like you, he will at some point rebell on you (if you don't kill him in his sleep ;)).

Who did you proclaim war on? Must be many to choose from in Russia, they're pretty much surrounded by heathens.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
User avatar
Lieutenant Gillipig
 
Posts: 3560
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:24 pm
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby Gillipig on Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:08 am

muy_thaiguy wrote:Take the English islands first and solidify them to yourself by having very loyal vassels control them. From there, hit Scotland, fast and hard. In the meanwhile, keep your territories bordering the Holy Roman Empire well fortified, just to be on the safe side. Maybe make an alliance or a pact with them if you can. Anyways, after Scotland, solidify yourself by keeping it under control of trusted vassels and strong armies. Strong enough to keep the English from instantly attacking, but not so large it drains your money. From there, you now have some good places from where you can launch attacks from, as well as more money with taking Scotland.

I want Scotland but I'm worried about my finances, I think I'll have to wait before I can take it. Right now I'm leaning towards declaing a war on the holy roman empire, much money to be gained through taxes of those regions and it could be a relatively short war if everything works out well and they don't land a mega army on the shore. The population is norwegian as well so they no doubt would rather be a part of my kingdom then the holy roman empire. If they do land a big army and squash me I'll have to signal for peace and hope they accept it. It feels like the most urgent matter right now. If I lose I wait until the Holy Roman Empire's king dies and hope they'll squabble for the throne and then I strike them. If I win I can soon land an army in Scotland and take what is (not at all) rightfully mine. But I migt be bold and hope the Holy Roman Empire won't do anything and go straight for Scotland instaed. Ahhh so many options lol.
AoG for President of the World!!
I promise he will put George W. Bush to shame!
User avatar
Lieutenant Gillipig
 
Posts: 3560
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:24 pm
Medals: 38
Standard Achievement (3) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Assassin Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (3)
Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (1) Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3)
Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (1) General Achievement (6) Tournament Contribution (3)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:32 am

Have you investigated the "Ledger" yet, Gilli? It is pretty helpful when deciding things. It can show you where you rank in terms of world army strength, prestige, finances on hand, wars currently on, etc. So perhaps you can strike during an internal struggle, or when they have exhausted some of their immediate coffers, or have a weaker than usual army, etc.

**Munches on a banana**


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25472
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby mcshanester29 on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:01 pm

Gillipig wrote:
mcshanester29 wrote:Okay between Andy and Gilli I had to go get the game as well....still learning a bit about it but seems to be a lot of fun. I started by Russia and succeeded in a holy war. But having a heck of a time with factions, revolts, and invading armies....I think I might have to try from Sweden to start with.lol

It's shockingly much fun! And there's so much you can do in the game, so much strategy to plan. Not only where to attack, but who to marry, where to improve your diplomatic situation, what to do with your council members, who should be your council members, your vassals, changing the laws, the list is endless. And your choices matters. It's not like who you marry doesn't mean anything, your heir will take after his mother as much as he takes after you so you can't just choose any woman. Furthermore if she's royal you can make claims to her fathers throne when he's dead. I ended up later usurping Norway through marrying the oldest of the norwegian princesses to my heir. A slick move to say the least hehe.
Sweden is a good place to start from. Watch out for the early civil war between you and your uncle though. He will most likely name you a pretender and start a civil war on you. And you start as mortally ill. In the game I play now my first king lived eight days before he died and my uncle immediately started a civil war. But I've also played a game where he survived. Nothing is certain, it doesn't get boring because the same things doesn't happen over and over, some things are more likely to happen though. Since your uncle has a strong claim on the throne and doesn't like you, he will at some point rebell on you (if you don't kill him in his sleep ;)).

Who did you proclaim war on? Must be many to choose from in Russia, they're pretty much surrounded by heathens.

I can't remember who I declared on, but the second declaration didn't go so well as a few of the heathen tribes started fighting together against me and I didn't have the man power to keep it up.

I did start another game as Sweden and have to say I have enjoyed it thoroughly My king lasted for about 5 months and then died lol. I have ended up causing my Uncle and two other rebels to surrender. And am pressing my de jure claims and have doubled my kingdom. Luckily I was able to arrange a marriage with Norway to keep them from attacking me. So all in all pretty good.
User avatar
Lieutenant mcshanester29
Tournament Director
Tournament Director
 
Posts: 7761
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:09 pm
Location: ID, USA
Medals: 164
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (3) Quadruples Achievement (3) Terminator Achievement (2)
Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (3) Freestyle Achievement (3) Polymorphic Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (2) Teammate Achievement (3) Random Map Achievement (3)
Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (1) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (21)
General Achievement (9) Clan Achievement (33) Challenge Achievement (3) Tournament Contribution (34) General Contribution (10)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby AndyDufresne on Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:19 pm

When your king dies and an heir takes over, I've found it is usually pretty worthwhile to immediately pause to assess the situation and see how everyone feels about the new King. If most of the vassals have a negative opinion, that should be rectified if possible. Moreover, those who with real power, I.E. Counts and Dukes, make sure they have a good opinion of you, since they are likely to revolt, or join together in a revolt. Sometimes throwing them in jail, even if you take a hit in opinion, is worthwhile to avoid civil war, or at least, a protracted civil war with multiple enemies. Moreover, giving away some things is necessary, like Baronies, and making sure you don't have more than 2 Duchies, etc. Also, be wary if you have any counties that are De Jure part of someone else's Kingdom. If the rebels go "independent," that means that additional foes from whoever wants those areas back may join in the melee.

In my game, I've finally and formally united Scotland and Ireland under my crown, and my King is now the King of Scotland and Ireland. Norway, who was occupying England to my south, was being very pesky, so I started a campaign to plot to overthrow their Norwegian King. And what do you know, the Spymaster they put onto their Council was Saxon, and he was more than willing to help dispatch 3 successive kings that were foreign. It was great fun to keep England/Norway in disarray while I was dealing with some internal civil wars.

I think I'll continue to try to plot against my neighboring English throne, to see if I can keep them with a weak King in power. But England is a difficult target, so I think my next target is Wales, so I can get a foothold in two places when I eventually go to war with England. Moreover, I'd like to become friends with the Frankinsh Kings...I'm sure they'd love to help beat up England if I can massage a relationship between our two cultures.

Also, I've got to the point where Genghis Khan has showed up in the Far East, and he seems to be ravaging the Islamic Empires east of Lebanon.

**Munches on a banana**


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25472
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby muy_thaiguy on Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:13 pm

Mongols are not fun to play against in Medieval 2 Total War. Best cavalry in the game, and they just keep coming. Takes a lot of armies and resources to push them back. And when you think you've finally dealt with the Mongols, along come the Sassanids. Who, like the Mongols, have incredible cavalry. But to add to that, they have elephants. With cannons. Elephants with cannons. Say good-bye to pike formations and cavalry, as the cannons will destroy the infantry and the elephants frighten horses and infantry.
Now is not the time to divide ourselves, to relish in letters by men long dead. Now is the time to come and work together in order to bring this country onto the right track. We are all citizens of this country, it is time to treat eachother as equals.
User avatar
Private 1st Class muy_thaiguy
 
Posts: 11483
Joined: Fri May 18, 2007 11:20 am
Location: Back in Black
Medals: 10
Standard Achievement (1) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (2) Quadruples Achievement (2) Freestyle Achievement (1)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (1) Clan Achievement (1)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby AndyDufresne on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:06 am

**Munches on a banana** Hm. Weekday.


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25472
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:03 am

Hm. Weekday again. **Munches on a banana**


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25472
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby Quirk on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:11 pm

Hello norovirus. I haven't been this sick in over a decade. All three of us are sick. Good times.
Image
"Zungguzungguguzungguzeng"
-Yellowman
pancakemix wrote:Quirk, you are a bastard. That is all.
User avatar
Major Quirk
 
Posts: 442
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:27 pm
Location: Athens, Georgia
Medals: 21
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1)
Polymorphic Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Trench Warfare Achievement (2) Random Map Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Beta Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (4) General Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (1)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby jonesthecurl on Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:14 pm

Last comedy gig I did, one of the stand-ups wore rubber gloves to hold the mike. I'm not that sure he was being paranoid.
And remember what the poet said – “in booty there is loot, and in loot booty.” Or sump’n like that.
User avatar
Sergeant jonesthecurl
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:42 am
Location: disused action figure warehouse
Medals: 19
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (1)
Manual Troops Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Random Map Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3)

Re: the longest thread, thread - Occasionally NSFW

Postby AndyDufresne on Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:49 pm

jonesthecurl wrote:Last comedy gig I did, one of the stand-ups wore rubber gloves to hold the mike. I'm not that sure he was being paranoid.

Maybe he just came from surgery? Or maybe he has very sensitive hands? Or maybe, he was hoping to lube someone up after his set. **Leaves behind a bowl of bananas**


--Andy
User avatar
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne
Retired Administrator
 
Posts: 25472
Joined: Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:22 pm
Location: A Banana Palm in Zihuatanejo
Medals: 20
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (3) General Achievement (4) General Contribution (2)

PreviousNext

Return to Babble-On Five

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Phatscotty

Login