Conquer Club

Poll on Racism

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Is it just as racist to SUPPORT someone based on race; as it is to OPPOSE someone based on race

Total votes : 0

Re: Phatscotty Poll on Racism

Postby Phatscotty on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:54 pm

so what is it called when I see a member of my own race, but there is just something about him that doesn't seem right, and I get all "Wee Wee'd up"
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:10 pm

I didnt think so
Major Phatscotty

Postby Rustovitch on Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:34 pm

THE ARMY wrote:Ok now listen here...I hate when people try to 'correct' racism...

At Baruch college, the school I go to, our whole club system is based around groups, to give some insight there is the BAoA (Black Accountants of America), Italian-America Frat, Latin(o/a) frat/serority, Jewish club, Asian club, Polish club, Black frat...you get the picture...

let me also give you insight and let you know there are no frats for white americans and no clubs for the "white american", now what do you think would happen if I started a chapter of a 'white' frat or white american club?

My point is, I HATE PEOPLE WHO TRY TO FIX RACISM, by doing this they create more

Go on form one...

But make sure that there are no racial criteria for membership!
Cadet Rustovitch

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:07 am

Some of my best friends are white...
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby Titanic on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:39 am

thegreekdog wrote:Some of my best friends are white...

Thanks for sharing that with us....
Major Titanic

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:45 am

Titanic wrote:

You are welcome. You might also like to know that, despite being half Greek, I have no Greek friends. Go figure huh?

Postby Titanic on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:53 am

thegreekdog wrote:
Titanic wrote:

You are welcome. You might also like to know that, despite being half Greek, I have no Greek friends. Go figure huh?

Do you live near any Greek people? I would only have white friends if I didn't go to a college which was about 1/2 Asian, so I'm almost in the same boat as you.
Major Titanic

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:59 am

Titanic wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Titanic wrote:

Do you live near any Greek people? I would only have white friends if I didn't go to a college which was about 1/2 Asian, so I'm almost in the same boat as you.

For realsies? I have zero Greek friends, probably because I don't seek out people of one race or ethnic background to be friends with. Also, Greek-Americans tend to be very shut off from other cultures. I'll put it this way, most of my third generation Greek cousins married Greeks because that's who they are supposed to marry. From high school, all my friends are white probably because there was only one black guy in my graduating class (whose parents were white). From college/law school, I have one black friend (who I would call not my best friend, but one of my best friends). I have a number of friends from work who are black.

All that being said, if someone called me a racist, I would NEVER say that I have black friends to use as a defense. It's ridiculous.

Postby Titanic on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:12 am

thegreekdog wrote:For realsies? I have zero Greek friends, probably because I don't seek out people of one race or ethnic background to be friends with. Also, Greek-Americans tend to be very shut off from other cultures. I'll put it this way, most of my third generation Greek cousins married Greeks because that's who they are supposed to marry. From high school, all my friends are white probably because there was only one black guy in my graduating class (whose parents were white). From college/law school, I have one black friend (who I would call not my best friend, but one of my best friends). I have a number of friends from work who are black.

All that being said, if someone called me a racist, I would NEVER say that I have black friends to use as a defense. It's ridiculous.

I don't seek out people from one race of ethnicity, its just because I'm Asian myself I'm more confortable around other Asians, especially at the beggining of college or unviersity when you don't know anyone. Don't get me wrong I can get along with anyone, until I was 15 I only went to school with white people so I can get on fine with them, but just naturally I find it easier to get along with Asians. I'm back in the same boat now as at university I am the only non-white in my whole block, which I'm fine with.

The thrid generation thing is interesting. There a quite a lot of Indians who are now marrying outside of their race (which would not have happened 20 years ago), and there also a lot of mixing within the Indian community (Sikh/Hindu/Muslim etc..) which is only good as theres too much predudice atm within the Asian community.
Major Titanic

Postby thegreekdog on Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:19 am

My friend Wayne, who is black, married a white girl. His family was fine with it, although one of his sisters apparently had a problem with his wife (which has since been resolved). Her family was not fine with it, with the excuse that they were worried about Wayne and his wife's potential children. Wayne has admitted to me that he is worried about potential children as well. He thinks there is some prejudice that exists (mostly on the African-American side, in his mind anyway) against children of mixed-race couples. I guess that remains to be seen.

Anyway, yeah, my Greek family is pretty weird like that. A lot of my cousins go to Greek clubs in New Jersey and hang out with a bunch of Greeks. I have no problem with this or anything because they all have assimilated into US culture, speak English, the whole shabang. They just choose to keep a large part of their lives in the Greek culture. I don't begrudge any ethnic group doing this, because I think it's a good thing.

Postby Phatscotty on Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:04 pm

its human nature, for crying out loud.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Nobunaga on Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:37 pm

... Say you're at an ATM and you just withdrew a hundred bucks. You see a young black male walking straight at you, looking at you. He's wearing a hoody (hoodie?), he's unkempt, his pants are halfway down his ass and he's holding his crotch.

... You're at an ATM and you just withdrew a hundred bucks. You see a young black male walking straight at you, looking at you. He's wearing a suit and tie, appears very well groomed and instead of his penis, he's holding a briefcase.

... It's culture, not race that frightens and evokes reaction.

Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby Titanic on Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:33 pm

Nobunaga wrote:... Say you're at an ATM and you just withdrew a hundred bucks. You see a young black male walking straight at you, looking at you. He's wearing a hoody (hoodie?), he's unkempt, his pants are halfway down his ass and he's holding his crotch.

... You're at an ATM and you just withdrew a hundred bucks. You see a young black male walking straight at you, looking at you. He's wearing a suit and tie, appears very well groomed and instead of his penis, he's holding a briefcase.

Well it depends whose at the ATM. If its a white girl she'll go home and carve a B into her face and claim a racist assault....
Major Titanic

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:52 pm

lmao that was soooo pathetic. you can just see in here eyes "I am a dumb-ass"
Major Phatscotty

Postby Nobunaga on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:17 pm

... Did that b*tch go to jail, or even have to pay a fine?

Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby Phatscotty on Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:21 pm

you should not judge a book by its cover, but from what you can see, you retain every right to make an educated guess and reserve the right to err on the side of caution
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:06 pm

er whatever
Major Phatscotty

Postby Frigidus on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:42 pm

Phatscotty wrote:you should not judge a book by its cover, but from what you can see, you retain every right to make an educated guess and reserve the right to err on the side of caution

Sergeant Frigidus

Postby Phatscotty on Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:21 pm

Carter TOTALLY eats crow! Can we now finally discredit this jack-ass for the fool he is? He says he didnt say what he said. WUT?
Major Phatscotty

Postby Timminz on Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:24 pm

Phatscotty wrote:WUT?
Captain Timminz

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:28 am

thegreekdog wrote:
Titanic wrote:
thegreekdog wrote:
Titanic wrote:

For realsies? I have zero Greek friends, probably because I don't seek out people of one race or ethnic background to be friends with. Also, Greek-Americans tend to be very shut off from other cultures. I'll put it this way, most of my third generation Greek cousins married Greeks because that's who they are supposed to marry. From high school, all my friends are white probably because there was only one black guy in my graduating class (whose parents were white). From college/law school, I have one black friend (who I would call not my best friend, but one of my best friends). I have a number of friends from work who are black.

DING DING DING DING DING, wrong. New Orleans has a sizable "Greek-American" community which regularly holds Greek Fest and what not, and many Greek-Americans and Americans and other-Americans go because it's fun, everyone's having a good time, and what not.

Stop overgeneralizing.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby BigBallinStalin on Sun Oct 04, 2009 7:30 am

Nobunaga wrote:... Say you're at an ATM and you just withdrew a hundred bucks. You see a young black male walking straight at you, looking at you. He's wearing a hoody (hoodie?), he's unkempt, his pants are halfway down his ass and he's holding his crotch.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Well said, and the imagery is hilarious as well.
Major BigBallinStalin

Location: crying into the dregs of an empty bottle of own-brand scotch on the toilet having a dump in Dagenham

Postby thegreekdog on Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:01 am

BigBallinStalin wrote:DING DING DING DING DING, wrong. New Orleans has a sizable "Greek-American" community which regularly holds Greek Fest and what not, and many Greek-Americans and Americans and other-Americans go because it's fun, everyone's having a good time, and what not.

Stop overgeneralizing.

What? How stupid are you? Let's assuming I am, in fact, overgeneralizing (and I am). What in f$cking Hercules-name does Greek Fest have to do with Greeks hanging out with Greeks? "Oh, the Greeks have this festival that non-Greeks go to." So effing what?

Postby BigBallinStalin on Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:48 am

thegreekdog wrote:
BigBallinStalin wrote:DING DING DING DING DING, wrong. New Orleans has a sizable "Greek-American" community which regularly holds Greek Fest and what not, and many Greek-Americans and Americans and other-Americans go because it's fun, everyone's having a good time, and what not.

Stop overgeneralizing.

What? How stupid are you? Let's assuming I am, in fact, overgeneralizing (and I am). What in f$cking Hercules-name does Greek Fest have to do with Greeks hanging out with Greeks? "Oh, the Greeks have this festival that non-Greeks go to." So effing what?

Hahaha, you just got pissed off! Ok, perhaps I should've stated clearly what I was contending. See below:

Also, Greek-Americans tend to be very shut off from other cultures.

In New Orleans, I find that hard to believe (which is why I brought up the example of the Greek Fest and so on and so forth). In other cities of America, how differently are Greek-Americans treated? And if you can't speak for all of them, or even most of them, then cite an example that you'd be well-versed on, and we can reasonably go from there.

Also, next time: if you don't understand what exactly I'm contending (which I failed to precisely point out), then you can simply ask me instead of stressing out.
Major BigBallinStalin

Postby thegreekdog on Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:56 am

Actually Stalin, you typed "DING" repeatedly indicating that I was somehow wrong. Then, instead of refuting anything I had typed originally, you went on to discuss that oh-so-wonderful Greek festival in New Orleans. The only reason I'm mad is because you didn't actually discuss anything I said, but, at the same time, determined that I was wrong. Erego, I wanted to know how stupid you actually are.

I cannot give empirical evidence for my statement that Greek-Americans are shut off from other cultures. However, I can tell you that my father (Greek) married my mother (Italian) much to the chagrin of my father's parents. Similarly, two of my many, many cousins have married non-Greeks, much to the chagrin of their parents. Similarly, I am not Greek Orthodox, much to the chagrin of my Greek relatives.

However, to refute my non-empirical evidence with a statement that the Greeks have this great festival in New Orleans is not really relevant.

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,