Conquer Club

Poll on Racism

\\OFF-TOPIC// conversations about everything that has nothing to do with Conquer Club.

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Is it just as racist to SUPPORT someone based on race; as it is to OPPOSE someone based on race

Total votes : 0

Re: Phatscotty Poll on Racism

Postby Phatscotty on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:33 pm

Way too many minorities think it's ok to be racist against whites.
Major Phatscotty

Postby Nobunaga on Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:18 am

... I got into a fist fight years ago after I opened a door for a (very attractive) young black woman.

... Some asshole jumped in my face, "She doesn't need your fucking help!"

... Violence ensued.

... I blame the atmosphere at the college I attended. Black guys I knew and talked to in high school completely blew me off in favor of pursuing their their newfound "oppresion".

... Sad, really.

Sergeant 1st Class Nobunaga

Postby Skittles! on Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:41 am

Ray Rider wrote:And Phatscotty, I'm surprised that you would create a topic and then jeer at those such as Neoteny and Tonkaed who are willing to put time and effort into discussing it! What are you thinking? :-s

Don't think you've noticed, but he doesn't think.
KraphtOne wrote:when you sign up a new account one of the check boxes should be "do you want to foe colton24 (it is highly recommended) "
Private Skittles!

Postby xelabale on Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:52 am

Neoteny wrote:The way the question is worded and how "racist" could be defined are what prompts my statement. If it's a question of whether it is racist to oppose someone for office because you feel his race is less capable in office, then I'd say that it's obviously probable. If it's "as racist" to support as to oppose due to differing physical features, I'm not so sure. If you are deciding between two politically identical candidates except that one is white and one black, and I pick the white guy because I am also white (suppose I'm superficial like that), it's hard to say if I feel that's racist. Is it wrong to support the bald guy because I too am bald? It seems that if you consider race to be nearly arbitrary like I do, you can pick between "races" for something silly like similarity to oneself or something subjective like aesthetics and not necessarily be racist. I feel this because racism seems to be more about the capabilities of an individual rather than how he looks. If I acknowledge that both individuals are equally politically competent, and pick the white guy because he has the same skin tone as me, I'm not sure I would consider myself racist (nor would I consider a black man racist for doing the same thing). It seems that there's a subtle wrinkle there that you have not considered.

That is the definition of racism.

Neoteny wrote:Well, of course, but you're simplifying again (whether it is because you don't understand, I don't know, sorry the hypothetical bit about the identical politicians went over your head). If a white person is voting for white people because they think white people are better at politics, than it's racist. If they're voting for white people because they are better politicians who happen to be white, then it's not racist.

This is true but not what you said before.

Neoteny wrote:I edited my post, but, more specifically and in short, racism is the view that the differences between races are significant enough to allow for one race to be superior to the other in some fashion.

As such, I think it is theoretically possible to vote based on race and not be racist, but, to add to what I said earlier, individuals (even within a race) are different enough to make the odds of that happening in reality pretty close to zero. Hence, voting based on race is not inherently racist. Voting based on the thought that one race is better than the other is.

This is the definition of racism.

Voting based on race alone IS racism. That's what it means. Your fine distinctions are meaningless, you even acknowledge that yourself by saying " I think it is theoretically possible to vote based on race and not be racist". Theoretically? Who gives a shit, the fact is 99.9999% of people who vote based on race ARE racist. Therefore we can categorise this as wrong and not worry about upsetting the 0.00001% of people who may theoretically have not been racist.
Captain xelabale

Postby Rustovitch on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:31 am

I am not sure I would normally vote for a person of a different race for fear that they would pursue 'racial politics' to the detriment of my race and society.

I think that makes me a realist, not a racist.
Cadet Rustovitch

Postby xelabale on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:41 am

Rustovitch wrote:I am not sure I would normally vote for a person of a different race for fear that they would pursue 'racial politics' to the detriment of my race and society.

Fear of a different race is racism
Captain xelabale

Postby Rustovitch on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:47 am

xelabale wrote:
Rustovitch wrote:I am not sure I would normally vote for a person of a different race for fear that they would pursue 'racial politics' to the detriment of my race and society.

Fear of a different race is racism

Thats tenuous isn't it?
Cadet Rustovitch

Postby MeDeFe on Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:39 am

xelabale wrote:
Neoteny wrote:The way the question is worded and how "racist" could be defined are what prompts my statement. If it's a question of whether it is racist to oppose someone for office because you feel his race is less capable in office, then I'd say that it's obviously probable. If it's "as racist" to support as to oppose due to differing physical features, I'm not so sure. If you are deciding between two politically identical candidates except that one is white and one black, and I pick the white guy because I am also white (suppose I'm superficial like that), it's hard to say if I feel that's racist. Is it wrong to support the bald guy because I too am bald? It seems that if you consider race to be nearly arbitrary like I do, you can pick between "races" for something silly like similarity to oneself or something subjective like aesthetics and not necessarily be racist. I feel this because racism seems to be more about the capabilities of an individual rather than how he looks. If I acknowledge that both individuals are equally politically competent, and pick the white guy because he has the same skin tone as me, I'm not sure I would consider myself racist (nor would I consider a black man racist for doing the same thing). It seems that there's a subtle wrinkle there that you have not considered.

Neoteny wrote:Well, of course, but you're simplifying again (whether it is because you don't understand, I don't know, sorry the hypothetical bit about the identical politicians went over your head). If a white person is voting for white people because they think white people are better at politics, than it's racist. If they're voting for white people because they are better politicians who happen to be white, then it's not racist.

Neoteny wrote:I edited my post, but, more specifically and in short, racism is the view that the differences between races are significant enough to allow for one race to be superior to the other in some fashion.

As such, I think it is theoretically possible to vote based on race and not be racist, but, to add to what I said earlier, individuals (even within a race) are different enough to make the odds of that happening in reality pretty close to zero. Hence, voting based on race is not inherently racist. Voting based on the thought that one race is better than the other is.

Voting based on race alone IS racism. That's what it means. Your fine distinctions are meaningless, you even acknowledge that yourself by saying " I think it is theoretically possible to vote based on race and not be racist". Theoretically? Who gives a shit, the fact is 99.9999% of people who vote based on race ARE racist. Therefore we can categorise this as wrong and not worry about upsetting the 0.00001% of people who may theoretically have not been racist.

But Neoteny never said to vote ONLY based on race. In his hypothetical case you have the choice between two equally qualified candidates, if one were to decide who to vote for based on the candidate's skin tone after considering all the relevant factors for the job, is it really racist? Is it as racist to vote for the person whose skin tone resembles ones own more closely, as to vote for the person whose skin tone resembles ones own less closely? And how is it any different from picking one of them over the other because he wears glasses, just like oneself?

I don't know what point you're arguing against, but it is certainly not the one Neo made. Namely that voting based on race can be structurally identical to voting for a person because they have the same haircut as oneself.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby Ray Rider on Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:36 am

MeDeFe wrote:I don't know what point you're arguing against, but it is certainly not the one Neo made. Namely that voting based on race can be structurally identical to voting for a person because they have the same haircut as oneself.

Although a person's style of hair is a matter of choice; skin color isn't. A better example would be the amount of hair (or lack thereof), or the height of a person.
Highest score: 2221
Major Ray Rider

Postby thegreekdog on Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:06 am

I think the important phrase in the poll question is "based on race." I take this phrase to mean that the overwhelming reason I support the particular person is because of his or her particular race. So, if I voted for John McCain in the last election, and it was "based on race," my reason for voting for him was because he was Caucasian, rather than any other reason.

So, if one supports another "based on race" it becomes a question of why choose that particular characteristic to use as reasoning to support the particular person. The only logical answer as to why to support someone based on race is that you believe he or she will do a better job than anyone else because of his or her race. So, in my McCain scenario, if I had voted for McCain based on race, I assume that he will do a better job than the other candidates because he is white. That, in my mind, is racist.
Sergeant 1st Class thegreekdog

Postby xelabale on Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:43 am

MeDeFe wrote:
xelabale wrote:

But Neoteny never said to vote ONLY based on race. In his hypothetical case you have the choice between two equally qualified candidates, if one were to decide who to vote for based on the candidate's skin tone after considering all the relevant factors for the job, is it really racist? Is it as racist to vote for the person whose skin tone resembles ones own more closely, as to vote for the person whose skin tone resembles ones own less closely? And how is it any different from picking one of them over the other because he wears glasses, just like oneself?

I don't know what point you're arguing against, but it is certainly not the one Neo made. Namely that voting based on race can be structurally identical to voting for a person because they have the same haircut as oneself.

Yes, hypothetically this may not be racist, well done. However, what good does that do us? It is hypothetically possible that all my molecules line up in such a way that I can walk through a wall, but it aint gonna happen. Saying that it's hypothetically possible that someone can choose based on skin colour and not be racist is at best irrelevant, and at worst gives all the racists another excuse.
Captain xelabale

Postby MeDeFe on Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:12 pm

Don't worry, when it's used as an excuse we damn libruls will sure be there to show that the racists are only using it as an excuse and, in fact, are lying about their motivations.
saxitoxin wrote:Your position is more complex than the federal tax code. As soon as I think I understand it, I find another index of cross-references, exceptions and amendments I have to apply.
Timminz wrote:Yo mama is so classless, she could be a Marxist utopia.
Major MeDeFe

Location: Follow the trail of holes in other people's arguments.

Postby Snorri1234 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:17 pm

xelabale wrote:

No actually it would be racism if one believes that some races are superior to others. If you do not vote based on belief that that person's race makes him better but merely on aesthetic choices it is not actually racist.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

Duane: You know what they say about love and war.
Tim: Yes, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's war.
Private Snorri1234

Postby GabonX on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:34 pm

I get it.

So what you're saying is that if I only vote for blonde haired blue eyed white people because I think theyā€™re prettier than everyone else, this is not racist..

Thanks for clarifying.
Spazz Arcane wrote:If birds could swim and fish could fly I would awaken in the morning to the sturgeons cry. If fish could fly and birds could swim I'd still use worms to fish for them.
saxitoxin wrote:I'm on Team GabonX
Captain GabonX

Postby Snorri1234 on Wed Aug 19, 2009 4:38 pm

GabonX wrote:I get it.

So what you're saying is that if I only vote for blonde haired blue eyed white people because I think theyā€™re prettier than everyone else, this is not racist..

Thanks for clarifying.

Yes exactly. It's stupid and probably doesn't happen, but it's not actually racist.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

Duane: You know what they say about love and war.
Tim: Yes, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's war.
Private Snorri1234

Postby GabonX on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:03 pm

I voted for Palin just because she's sexy.

It's the only reason.

I swear..
Spazz Arcane wrote:If birds could swim and fish could fly I would awaken in the morning to the sturgeons cry. If fish could fly and birds could swim I'd still use worms to fish for them.
saxitoxin wrote:I'm on Team GabonX
Captain GabonX

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:28 pm

I see we have come a pretty good way with tolerance. There are just a few who are still dealing with issues and trying to better understand. Thank you all for participating
Major Phatscotty

Postby Phatscotty on Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:58 pm

I agree
Major Phatscotty

Postby Neoteny on Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:43 am

Phatscotty wrote:I see we have come a pretty good way with tolerance. There are just a few who are still dealing with issues and trying to better understand. Thank you all for participating

Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby istanbul39 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:26 am

another stupid poll from the angry white man in Saint Paul....

pathetic
Corporal 1st Class istanbul39

Postby Phatscotty on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:58 pm

istanbul39 wrote:another stupid poll from the angry white man in Saint Paul....

pathetic

it was very gentle. Sorry if you are ultra sensitive.....well, it would be horrible to not have a discussion here, lets hear from the super minority on this one. Exactly how is making a choice based soley on race......not racist? I dont live in Saint Paul, I was merely referring to the animalistic protesters throwing cocktail bombs in saint paul
Last edited by Phatscotty on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Phatscotty

Postby pimpdave on Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:31 pm

jay_a2j wrote:hey if any1 would like me to make them a signature or like an avator just let me no, my sig below i did, and i also did "panther 88" so i can do something like that for u if ud like...
Sergeant 1st Class pimpdave

Postby Timminz on Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:52 pm

Captain Timminz

Postby Neoteny on Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:59 am

Giffail.
Napoleon Ier wrote:You people need to grow up to be honest.
Major Neoteny

Postby Rustovitch on Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:36 am

istanbul39 wrote:another stupid poll from the angry white man in Saint Paul....

pathetic

Racist.
Cadet Rustovitch

PreviousNext

Return to Practical Explanation about Next Life,