Conquer Club

[TPA1] Tournament Players Association

For finished TPA, Championship and other great tournaments of the past

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Re: Introducing: Tournament Players Association (TPA)

Postby Kinnison on Wed May 05, 2010 2:44 pm

josko.ri wrote:hmm, it sounds very interesting and competitive but I have suggestion about how to improve point system...

"1. Total points Player will get a total number of points based on their finish in each tournament so coming in 2nd in a 16 player tournament would garner .9375 points while a 2nd in a 64 player tournament would garner a score of .9844. Additionally larger tournaments will have a multiplier as its more difficult to win a 64 player tournament than it is to win a 16 player tournament and more difficult still to win a 128 player tournament. Thus the multipliers will be as follows: For tournaments with 16-31 players have a multiplier of 1, 32-60 would have a multiplier of 2, 61 to 89 would be a multiplier of 3, 90-130 would be a multiplier of 4, 131-220 a multiplier of 5 and 221 and over would be a multiplier of 6. In other words that 2nd place finish in a 64 player tournament would then be multiplied by 3 to garner that player a score of 2.95. There will be a running scoreboard with total scores for all players."

so basically a player who plays all 52 tournaments will probably be between TOP 20 because his/her points will grow up every week. I am not fun of PGA so I dont really know how point system there is, but I am fun of tennis (ATP) and I know very good how there is point system. I suppose on PGA is similar. my point is that Roger Federer is number one player in tennis by years but he plays very low number of tournaments. it can be chacked here http://www.atpworldtour.com/Rankings/Singles.aspx. he has 18 tournaments while the others from top 10 have 25,26.

so, my suggestion is to make only one difference in point system: divide all players' points by number of tournaments played, and we will then get reliable ranking. to avoid that someone plays only 1 tournament and be high ranked, you may take 20 tournaments as a minimum played for getting full rank. so, points of the players who played less than 20 tournaments can be sum and divided by 20, and for the players who played more than 20 tournaments can be sum and divided by number of tournaments played. I think then you will get more representative ranking, at most because of fact that tournaments will be full very quickly, so many interested players will stay without some tournaments.

Unofficial opinion: This is an excellent idea for a secondary ranking system to compare players.

I see a few problems with using this for a primary system:
1> We currently have no way to qualify players (as per PGA or WTA) to see who gets in... if we did, we'd then be violating CC Tournament rules on how much of a tournament needs to be open to how much of the playerbase.
2> This *IS* a game, not anyone's livelihood. Well, PLAYING it isn't anyone's livelihood. As such, comparing it to a sports/profession league is by analogy ONLY.
3> We want to encourage participation in as many tournaments as possible. This system encourages participation in a certain number of tournaments, but only the largest ones. (as they have a better per-tournament score multiplier)
4> Lastly, given how long many of these will run, and the number of games, I suspect 20 tournaments completed to be a significant challenge. Some people who accommodate game loads I would consider INSANE (HA, for example :oops: ) will probably not have a problem with 20. I, on the other hand, keep a LOW game load for a premium player (under 25, heck, under 20 if it can at all be arranged), and think finishing 20 TPA tournaments would probably kill me. ;)
Currently Running Tourneys: -none-
Tourney Winner: "You're Eliminated" III; Keep It Simple Quads - Team Generation One
Lieutenant Kinnison

Postby ubcman64 on Wed May 05, 2010 3:14 pm

Kinnison wrote:
4> Lastly, given how long many of these will run, and the number of games, I suspect 20 tournaments completed to be a significant challenge. Some people who accommodate game loads I would consider INSANE (HA, for example :oops: ) will probably not have a problem with 20. I, on the other hand, keep a LOW game load for a premium player (under 25, heck, under 20 if it can at all be arranged), and think finishing 20 TPA tournaments would probably kill me. ;)

I fully agree with this point. 20 will be a stretch to complete, especially since there are plenty of other tournaments people want to join that are NOT associated with the TPA. Unless, as you stated, game loads aren't an issue. They are with me. However I will do my best to join as many as I can while maintaining a reasonable game load. :)
Founding Member of ++The Legion++
Major ubcman64

Postby benga on Thu May 06, 2010 12:55 pm

barterer2002 wrote:I thought I posted this earlier but apparently it was somewhere else.

My general feeling is that in tournaments there are two reasons that people do not join their games. 1) they are unaware of how tournaments work and are generally not joining any more of them or 2) they have unexpectedly left CC for whatever reason. In either of these cases there doesn't seem to be much reason to penalize. Are there reasons to penalize someone that I'm not seeing?

In case of:
-intentional deadbeating
-filling room for someone else

But as u stated that should not be penalised
if it does not disrupt standings
in abnormal way

Thx for your reply
was just wondering
not starting a witch hunt

Bye!
Sergeant benga

Postby keiths31 on Mon May 10, 2010 3:59 pm

The new TPA event is up and taking sign ups. It is filling fast. Make sure you sign up properly or you won't be included in the tournament.
Corporal 1st Class keiths31

Postby keiths31 on Mon May 10, 2010 6:11 pm

Musical Chairs: Eastern Hemisphere Tour [TPA] is full. Will accept reserves. Thanks to all those that signed up and sorry to those who missed the sign ups and to those that didn't sign up properly (tsk tsk tsk)
Corporal 1st Class keiths31

Postby Jace22 on Mon May 10, 2010 6:27 pm

funny enough, the tournament tab has been useless for the past couple of weeks in this event. The tournaments have filled before they were added
Sergeant 1st Class Jace22

Postby kratos644 on Mon May 10, 2010 7:08 pm

Jace22 wrote:funny enough, the tournament tab has been useless for the past couple of weeks in this event. The tournaments have filled before they were added

That's cause they're popular and you need to actually check the create and join thread
Best Score: 2799, Best Rank: Colonel, Best Scoreboard Spot: 126
Funniest Game:Game 1675072
Sickest Game:Game 2975352
Major kratos644

Postby Lindax on Mon May 10, 2010 7:16 pm

Yep, the TPA seems to be a great idea!

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby kratos644 on Mon May 10, 2010 7:21 pm

On that note mine next week shouldn't fill as rapidly because it's a triples tournament instead of a singles where you just need yourself to signup
Major kratos644

Postby poptartpsycho18 on Mon May 10, 2010 7:27 pm

Jace22 wrote:funny enough, the tournament tab has been useless for the past couple of weeks in this event. The tournaments have filled before they were added

Too bad we can't have a way to have the tournaments that are scheduled already up, with the thread locked until the sign-up date. That way anyone interested could bookmark and then sign-up right away. But that's not really an option so it's just going to have to stay a "first come, first served" kinda deal. It's good to have them be as popular as they've been though, it'll make for a repeat of this type of event.
Corporal poptartpsycho18

Postby Night Strike on Mon May 10, 2010 8:37 pm

poptartpsycho18 wrote:

Too bad we can't have a way to have the tournaments that are scheduled already up, with the thread locked until the sign-up date. That way anyone interested could bookmark and then sign-up right away. But that's not really an option so it's just going to have to stay a "first come, first served" kinda deal. It's good to have them be as popular as they've been though, it'll make for a repeat of this type of event.

Actually, I think keeping them OUT of the database until the normal update time is actually a better system. The benefit of having only one director check the forum once a day (and late at night) is that it rewards the people who still take the time to browse the forum for the tournaments they wish to join. The people who take the bit extra time to look through tournaments manually benefit by getting the first spots in a tournament.
Major Night Strike

Postby poptartpsycho18 on Mon May 10, 2010 9:18 pm

Night Strike wrote:
poptartpsycho18 wrote:

Actually, I think keeping them OUT of the database until the normal update time is actually a better system. The benefit of having only one director check the forum once a day (and late at night) is that it rewards the people who still take the time to browse the forum for the tournaments they wish to join. The people who take the bit extra time to look through tournaments manually benefit by getting the first spots in a tournament.

I don't really care either way--I personally haven't gotten used to that new system since I noticed how long it took my tourney to get put up. I figure my tourney will still be open by the time it gets into that tab thingie so it's all good.
Corporal poptartpsycho18

Postby jrh_cardinal on Mon May 10, 2010 9:19 pm

Night Strike wrote:
poptartpsycho18 wrote:

speaking of (not related to TPA), I posted a tourney Saturday at 3:30 in the morning, and I still am not in the system, nor has pengui contacted me in any way saying why I am not in the system. The tourney is perfectly legal also, so there's no reason why I shouldn't be.

In fact, the other tourney I posted that night, the MLB one, pengui didn't respond to either, you had to give me privis.

Here it is: JRH's Assassinator Tourney

Is he just having a busy couple of days or something?
Sergeant 1st Class jrh_cardinal

Postby Night Strike on Mon May 10, 2010 9:49 pm

jrh_cardinal wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
poptartpsycho18 wrote:

speaking of (not related to TPA), I posted a tourney Saturday at 3:30 in the morning, and I still am not in the system, nor has pengui contacted me in any way saying why I am not in the system. The tourney is perfectly legal also, so there's no reason why I shouldn't be.

In fact, the other tourney I posted that night, the MLB one, pengui didn't respond to either, you had to give me privis.

He didn't do any updates over the weekend, so he should get to them tonight.
Major Night Strike

Postby jrh_cardinal on Mon May 10, 2010 10:48 pm

Night Strike wrote:
jrh_cardinal wrote:
Night Strike wrote:
poptartpsycho18 wrote:

He didn't do any updates over the weekend, so he should get to them tonight.
ok, that's cool. As you see from my sig I've got some catching up to do myself :)

Postby sonicsteve on Tue May 11, 2010 1:08 am

Given the immense popularity of this fantastic idea, should there be a minimum size for TPA events of 50 or 60 players?

keiths31's 30-man event filled up in about 3 hours, leaving out a lot of people who wanted to join. I was lucky and got in, but just happened to log on 10 minutes after he created it. WIthout wanting to pile extra work on Keith, I think a 60 player musical chairs would have filled easily.

Cheers.
Major sonicsteve

Location: within walking distance of the sea, waiting for global warming so I can jump in.

Postby amazzony on Tue May 11, 2010 1:15 am

I think it's great that there's such a demand for TPA events and I don't think anything should be changed now. It's just the first 2 tournaments now and we don't know if the success will continue in the next 50 weeks. Also, Bart has explained several times that not everybody is supposed to get in to the tournaments. Anyways, I think if it was raised to 50-60 then there would still be people complaining that they were left out.

Another thing that I was thinking. Making TPA events too big would hurt the other tournaments which are not part of it because then it would mean that everybody plays only TPA tourneys and other tournaments wouldn't be joined. But, if TPA tournaments are reasonable size and don't fit everybody then those left out have spots for non-TPA ones.

Anyways, just a rant which is trying to say that there's no reason to make them bigger. Please remember everybody that there's still 50 tournaments coming.
"Thou shalt accept thy dice rolls as the will of the Gods" (Church of Gaming)
"amazzony is a beast" (Woodruff)
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby barterer2002 on Tue May 11, 2010 6:55 am

There is a balance here between wanting the TPA to have a representation of all the great tournaments that are found in CC which clearly inclusive of smaller tournaments, and making the events large enough to let everyone who wants to get in in. At this point the minimum will stay at 30 because the smaller tournaments are an integral part of the CC community. There are some larger ones coming up in the next few weeks.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby moldy780 on Sun May 16, 2010 4:49 pm

in plz love this idea
Sergeant 1st Class moldy780

Postby jrh_cardinal on Sun May 16, 2010 4:52 pm

moldy780 wrote:in plz love this idea
sigh...

like 500 people wrote:when you enter the individual TPA sponsored tournaments, you are automatically included in the TPA standings

Postby poptartpsycho18 on Sun May 16, 2010 4:58 pm

jrh_cardinal wrote:
sigh...

like 500 people wrote:when you enter the individual TPA sponsored tournaments, you are automatically included in the TPA standings

Maybe he means "in" to make up a tourney for the TPA, in which case he'd have to talk to bart about that. But I could offer a early opinion on that being that he'd need more experience/tourneys under his belt first. But if he did mean "in" as in wanting to play...I'm not going to sigh, lol.
Corporal poptartpsycho18

Postby kratos644 on Sun May 16, 2010 5:26 pm

poptartpsycho18 wrote:
jrh_cardinal wrote:
sigh...

Maybe he means "in" to make up a tourney for the TPA, in which case he'd have to talk to bart about that. But I could offer a early opinion on that being that he'd need more experience/tourneys under his belt first. But if he did mean "in" as in wanting to play...I'm not going to sigh, lol.

Yep

And on an awesome note my tourney is tomorrow :D
Major kratos644

Postby kratos644 on Mon May 17, 2010 11:44 am

My TPA Tournament is now out
Major kratos644

Postby barterer2002 on Tue May 18, 2010 6:30 am

Due to TO requests I've adjusted the scheduling a bit.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby HighlanderAttack on Sat May 22, 2010 9:57 am

HA's Manual 64[TPA]

Only one game remains in round one--round 2 will be sent out when it is finished.
We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit.
Lieutenant HighlanderAttack

PreviousNext

Return to Super Events/Special Tournaments