I'll be writing up a brief feature article for the Conquer Club Dispatch (Tournaments section) on what the ideal reserve policy is for various types of tournaments. If you're a relatively frequent tournament organiser feel free to respond with any comments; good quotes that I see will be featured (along with your name as credit). Here's what I'd like to focus on,
- Should the reserve policy vary between types of tournaments (such as round-robin, single-elimination "knock-out", team tournaments)?
- How many invites (or, otherwise, how many days) is ideal to allow a player to join a tourney game?
- Lenient or strict enforcement with the reserve policy; should it depend on if the player is premium or non-premium?
- When is it better to simply give opponents a victory by forfeit instead of replacing the missing player with a reserve?
- Any other comments you have related are always welcome!
Basically, what's your personal philosophy on dealing with absences in your tournaments specifically?
Thanks guys, as a new organiser this has always bothered me, how to deal with missing players when real life comes knocking on the Conquer Club door.