Based on the date, June 24th, I'm considering the following themes:
- June 24th, 1128. Battle of Sao Mamende paves the way for Portuguese independence. Map for this theme would be Portugal.
- June 24th, 1314. The Battle of Bannockburn re-establishes Scottish independence. Need I say that the map for this theme would be Scotland?
- June 24th, 1340. The Battle of Sluys, one of the bloodiest naval battles of the Middle Ages, gives the English control of the English Channel. Map would be Flanders 1302. Although not a naval map, it was the key area of strategic concern. (Until the Industrial Revolution, Flanders was the wealthiest region along the Channel.)
- June 24th, 1497. John Cabot lands at Newfoundland, the first European in Canada since the departure of the Vikings. Map would be Golfe du St. Laurent.
- June 24th, 1571. Miguel Lopez de Legazpi founds Manila, future capital of the Philippines. At the risk of being obvious, I proclaim Philippines as map consistent with the theme.
- June 24th, 1880. The first performance of O Canada, later adopted as the Canadian national anthem. Canada would be a good choice of map for this theme.
- June 24th, 2012. Lonesome George, the last known member of the Pinta subspecies of Galapagos Tortoise, dies, quite likely meaning that the subspecies is now extinct. Treasures of the Galapagos would be an interesting map to mate with this theme.
Please help me select a theme for this tournament. You may also post below about things you would like to see in this tournament (spoils? forts? possible GA suggestions?).