Conquer Club

Winter Olympics Sochi 2014 Tournament(s) Idea

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Winter Olympics Sochi 2014 Tournament(s) Idea

Postby SoundStatic on Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:52 pm

So, in looking over past tournaments done here on CC, I see there's been some based on the current or upcoming Olympics. It seems like it's been an large undertaking sometimes, but I have an idea in my head for the upcoming Olympics in Sochi, and wanted to hear anyone's opinions.

Instead of one large tournament with a large amount of games going on, my concept is that for each of the 15 disciplines of the sports, there would be one actual CC tournament. Instead of being bogged down with numbers and large amount of games, there would be just one tournament for each discipline, no matter how many actual events that discipline will hold in the real Olympics. Each tournament would therefore be it's own, and would end as quickly as it's own games do. Each tournament would have different maps and gameplay styles based on the discipline/sport.

After all 15 tournaments are complete, the overall winner by points from each tournament would be the winning nation, and that player would win a premium prize from me. Though this means that each player would have to sign up for each tournament separately (or as many as they want to), it would also allow for the team discipline tournaments to be run separately, without each player having to find a large group to enter with, or be tied to a single nation throughout the whole series of tournaments.

Each new tournament to the series could be started every 2 weeks or so, and each tournament would have a different amount of possible points to the winner (based of # of events that discipline has) or it could be the same number of points across the board for each. (This is where I'm stumped and need input on.)

Any input from anyone?
Currently Running Tournaments: The Star-Spangled Scrimmage, Out of the Ashes, Sound Off! - Classic

Tournaments Accepting Players: NEW Sochi Olympics 2014 - Short Track
Cook SoundStatic

Re: Winter Olympics Sochi 2014 Tournament(s) Idea

Postby shoop76 on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:17 am

Yes I really like the idea. The ATP series had the same idea behind it. This way each week there would be different winners and also an ongoing scoreboard for entire series.

Doing it as 1 big tournament and having teams sign up would also be great but it would take an immense amount of time to run it.
Colonel shoop76
Tournament Commissioner
Tournament Commissioner

Postby chapcrap on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:03 pm

It's a good idea. When you have a series of tournaments like that, you can also choose to have a Grand Finale, where all of the individual winners compete against each other.

As far as if it is a new idea, yes and no. There have been Olympics tournaments before and there have been series of tournaments before, but I do not recall a series of Olympic tournaments. Let me know if you need help with anything for it.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby SoundStatic on Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:20 pm

Thanks for the insights - I have ideas/plans for a bunch of the tournaments already, I just need to figure out how to fairly distribute the maximum amount of points of each tournament. In ATP there are designated majors and such that have more points, but whose to say which Olympic disciplines are more important? Should I go by the amount of events in each discipline or the ones that people watch more, or just keep all the top possible points even across all 15.
Currently Running Tournaments: The Star-Spangled Scrimmage, Out of the Ashes, Sound Off! - Classic

Cook SoundStatic

Postby chapcrap on Tue Jul 16, 2013 6:31 pm

SoundStatic wrote:Thanks for the insights - I have ideas/plans for a bunch of the tournaments already, I just need to figure out how to fairly distribute the maximum amount of points of each tournament. In ATP there are designated majors and such that have more points, but whose to say which Olympic disciplines are more important? Should I go by the amount of events in each discipline or the ones that people watch more, or just keep all the top possible points even across all 15.

Maybe look at how the points are done in the actual Olympic competitions. I think it's probably even for each event, but I may be incorrect about that. As far as that goes, it's really up to you on how you would prefer to do it. But, I like trying to stick with the theme of Olympics by trying to keep the scoring similar to the real deal.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby SoundStatic on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:46 pm

With the disciplines I've fleshed out already, I've kept each tournament structure and rules as close to an actual medal event as possible.

The issue I'm coming across is that here there's eventually going to be one winner overall, but with the Olympics, they don't do that. Even the most winning nation in medals doesn't get anything special but recognition from the media broadcasts. I mean, it could be kept as simple as only recording the gold, silver, or bronze winner in each game, but it's completely possible that we could have different winner each tournament and we'd be stuck in a 15-way tie for first at the end.

I'm contemplating a 500 point cap for each tournament, that is to say the gold medal winner would get 500pts, 2nd would get about 300, and so on. The points will only vary from 4th place and down, depending on the number of players in that tournament.

Cook SoundStatic

Postby chapcrap on Wed Jul 17, 2013 1:31 pm

SoundStatic wrote:With the disciplines I've fleshed out already, I've kept each tournament structure and rules as close to an actual medal event as possible.

The issue I'm coming across is that here there's eventually going to be one winner overall, but with the Olympics, they don't do that. Even the most winning nation in medals doesn't get anything special but recognition from the media broadcasts. I mean, it could be kept as simple as only recording the gold, silver, or bronze winner in each game, but it's completely possible that we could have different winner each tournament and we'd be stuck in a 15-way tie for first at the end.

If that's the case, then all the more reason to simply hold a Grand Finale with all the event winners in one tournament.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Return to Tournament Archives