Conquer Club

What is the reasoning behind CC's rule that....

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

What is the reasoning behind CC's rule that....

Postby Jippd on Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:54 pm

2000+ is as high as tournament limits can be set? As the tournament director you do most of the work, why can I not run any type of tournament I want? If I want that to be a 2500+ tournament why shouldn't I be allowed to? I don't think that it would make any fewer tournaments, if anything I'm guessing it would make more. A lot of high ranks don't play tournaments because of the worry about losing points. Why not be allowed to do a 10000+ points quads tourney a 2500+ singles tourney or a 5000+ dubs tourney for example? As long as you can get enough participants to fill it in a month and it follows all the other rules I fail to see why there should be a restriction on the point restriction.

Can someone answer the reasoning behind this for me or direct me to where the answer is?
Major Jippd

Re: What is the reasoning behind CC's rule that....

Postby Lindax on Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:05 pm

Jippd wrote:2000+ is as high as tournament limits can be set? As the tournament director you do most of the work, why can I not run any type of tournament I want? If I want that to be a 2500+ tournament why shouldn't I be allowed to? I don't think that it would make any fewer tournaments, if anything I'm guessing it would make more. A lot of high ranks don't play tournaments because of the worry about losing points. Why not be allowed to do a 10000+ points quads tourney a 2500+ singles tourney or a 5000+ dubs tourney for example? As long as you can get enough participants to fill it in a month and it follows all the other rules I fail to see why there should be a restriction on the point restriction.

Can someone answer the reasoning behind this for me or direct me to where the answer is?

Pretty simple answer to that. The members of CC with 2500 points or more are such a small percentage of the membership that it is considered too exclusionary to run public tournaments for only those members.

However, you're free to run private tournaments with whatever restrictions you like.

And let's face it: How many more points would you lose to a Major?

Lx
"Winning Solves Everything" - Graeko
Colonel Lindax
Tournament Director
Tournament Director

Postby barterer2002 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:49 pm

Also, you aren't the Tournament Director, you are the Tournament organizer. Tournament Directors are those guys with gold names.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby Jippd on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:07 pm

barterer2002 wrote:Also, you aren't the Tournament Director, you are the Tournament organizer. Tournament Directors are those guys with gold names.

Lol sorry obviously that wasn't the main point of the thread but thank you for pointing out the difference
Major Jippd

Postby chapcrap on Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:17 pm

What Lx and bart said are both true.

As of now there are 380 people at 2500 or higher. I would say that number could fluctuate between 360-400 or so. That's less than 3% of the total scoreboard right now. That number is higher than when the rule was put into place (March of 2010 it was around 1%), but still fairly low.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Jippd on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:17 pm

Lindax wrote:

Lx

My best estimate is an average of about 25% more
Major Jippd

Postby chapcrap on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:31 pm

Jippd wrote:
Lindax wrote:

Lx

My best estimate is an average of about 25% more

If you played someone equal to you, you'd lose 20 points. If you lost to someone at 2500 right now, you'd lose 24 points. If you lost to someone at 2000 right now you'd lose 30 points. So, the difference from Allowing Majors and above instead of Colonels and above is about 6 points per game.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby Jippd on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:38 pm

Seems I'm a pretty good best estimator 25% on the dot

The point is that I like to play 1 v 1...but I don't like to play it the more points I get because the scoring system on CC does not make it worthwhile to play 1 v 1 against people not close to your points. I'm sure there are many over 2500 that feel that way that might like to play a 1 v 1 tournament. I'm sure at least 16...that was the point of me asking.
Major Jippd

Postby Butters1919 on Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:46 pm

Although I would not qualify to run in the tourney's suggested, I fail to see why this would be a problem. Much like the controversial tourney seeking out only female players. I've seen tourney's posted in the past that had a maximum number of games played, points earned. They failed to obtain enough entrants and they were cancelled. How is this any different? If a tourney with a max score can be posted, why not one with a minimum score? As a TO, I'll always accept anyone into my tourney's, but I certainly have no objections to tourney's that post such restrictions.
Cook Butters1919

Postby Night Strike on Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:16 pm

Butters1919 wrote:Although I would not qualify to run in the tourney's suggested, I fail to see why this would be a problem. Much like the controversial tourney seeking out only female players. I've seen tourney's posted in the past that had a maximum number of games played, points earned. They failed to obtain enough entrants and they were cancelled. How is this any different? If a tourney with a max score can be posted, why not one with a minimum score? As a TO, I'll always accept anyone into my tourney's, but I certainly have no objections to tourney's that post such restrictions.

If you debate to change a policy, please make sure that you know what the current policies actually state. Tournaments with a minimum required score ARE allowed. Currently that minimum is set at no more than 2000 points per player (or average).

And there is no need to raise the minimum at this time. Only 2.2% of the active members are over 2500 points. When we instituted the 2000 point restriction, that level had 4.7% of the active members above it. The 2500 point plateau needs to reach at least that level before I will consider it.
Major Night Strike

Return to Tournament Archives