Conquer Club

Official Stance for dead locked games

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Official Stance for dead locked games

Postby ThrushAAX on Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:42 am

I am in a tournament and in two dead locked games.

The TO just arbitrarily decided to recreate the games after some of the players in the games agreed to the new games (not all).

I won one of the new games and lost the other. The game I lost the other players want to suicide and give the victory for the original to the winner of the new game. The game I won the players of the original game (Including the TO) do not want to end the game.

1) Is it ok for a TO to just create a new game and ignore the original tournament game?
2) Is there an official policy or stance for never ending locked games?

Part of the problem is that it seems that the players were operating under different assumptions as to how dead locked games should be handled. Should this not be stated in the original tournament post or the official guidelines? (Alternatively it might be helpful to just require all tournament games to have at least a 100 round limit.)
Colonel ThrushAAX

Re: Official Stance for dead locked games

Postby Night Strike on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:00 pm

Typically in deadlocked situations, the organizer will make new games (sometimes with a tweak of settings) with the winner of the new game getting credit for the win in the tournament standings. Then, the players can either suicide out of the deadlocked game or just continue playing it without holding up the tournament.

However, the organizer should definitely NOT be handling those remade games in two different ways for the standings in the same tournament. If that's happening, you probably have enough grounds to submit a complaint to me (with all the details like game numbers and threads).
Major Night Strike

Postby ThrushAAX on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:22 pm

Thanks for the info.

As far as I'm concerned the handling of the remade games was fine.

The problem is that the original deadlocked games are being handled differently. Also, that the organizer did not get all the players agreement on the creation of the new games so we did not decide on how they would be handled. The players therefor formed different assumptions.

You can check the chat for the deadlocked games:
Game 10931600
Game 10790477
Colonel ThrushAAX

Postby Night Strike on Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:41 pm

If the tournament standings have already been properly and fairly updated to reflect the outcomes of the replacement games, then I don't think my intervention is necessary. Essentially, once the tournament advances, the stalemate game becomes just an ordinary game where you all must decide amongst yourselves how to handle the stalemate.
Major Night Strike

Postby ThrushAAX on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:15 am

ok, thanks for the info. What about the creation of the new games without the consent of all the original players? Are you saying that if a organizer thinks a game is taking to long for whatever reason they can just create a new game and disregard the original game? Because that is what happened here.
Colonel ThrushAAX

Postby Night Strike on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:52 am

ThrushAAX wrote:ok, thanks for the info. What about the creation of the new games without the consent of all the original players? Are you saying that if a organizer thinks a game is taking to long for whatever reason they can just create a new game and disregard the original game? Because that is what happened here.

How much time was there between asking for new games and making them? If it was a moderate amount of time and people didn't reply, it's probably not an issue because the organizer just assumed the other people weren't paying attention. If it was a really quick turn-around, then maybe it's an issue.
Major Night Strike

Postby greenoaks on Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:41 pm

i have made replacement games without getting the consent of all the players. in fact i haven't received any consent.

i tell them a replacement game will be made after round x if the deadlock in the current game does not end. i give 5 to 10 rounds to end it.

sometimes they resolve it amongst themselves, sometimes not.
Sergeant greenoaks

Return to Tournament Archives