Conquer Club

Mafia Tournament

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Mafia Tournament

Postby jak111 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 7:10 pm

*EDIT*
Just letting people know that I'm still working on this, just going through different simulations in my head to figure out what I need, what I don't need, what's working and what's ruining it.
*EDIT*

Title may change as this idea grows, but my last 2 ideas were shot down without having a chance to really make necessary changes or even receiving information on how to make it run more to the "under 1 year length" policy.

I have 2 ideas for this tournament running atm. One is if the fellows over at the MAFIA Forum decide to agree, we'll have teams of 4 (Depending how many Mafia guys join will determine how many "open" spots there are for non Mafia players). This tournament will have something that is infamous to Mafia terms called a "Lynch" and points will count toward winning the tourny.. or sacrificing a few points to perform a "Night Action" which can either cripple your enemies or give your team the edge. More details will follow on this set up in the near future (This isn't suspected to even be in sign ups until October).

My other idea if not enough Mafia guys participate is have games on maps like Supermax: Prison Riot and other mafia/cop related maps. All with teams of 4 and very quick eliminations (Round Robin Elimination, in which the bottom half of the teams each set of rounds will be eliminated from the tourny). Think of it as... a lap knockout in a racing game. If you don't score higher than half the teams by the time the lap is over.. your team is ejected. This process keeps continuing until there are 2 teams left. Each team selects a player for each map setup, unknown to the other team (Through pm's) and the team with the most wins 3 or 4 out of 4 wins the tourny. HOWEVER, if it comes to the result of a tie... the two winners from each team face each other in a team doubles game which will be the final judgement call.

Both set ups are in their skeletal phases of being set up. Still waiting to see how many Mafia guys are interested if the 1st one is to be the tourny.. the second one may be a later tourny idea (Maybe next March? or sometime) If I get enough Mafia guys in on this.

If any tournament directors see a problem as this tourny is set up, it is advised to pm me what needs to be changed and suggestions. From my last two tourny's being shut down, my patience is very low on it being locked out of the blue without a chance to correct anything that needs to be changed. Just forewarning you so you don't need to deal with a pissed off player due to something that can/could be avoided.
Last edited by jak111 on Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Highest Rank:
Major:2157

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers"

Jak Eliminator: Prison Riot [0/16] *Sign Ups*
Private 1st Class jak111

Re: Mafia Tournament

Postby Night Strike on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:05 pm

You won't be able to have a tournament that is only for people who play Forum Mafia, fyi.
Major Night Strike

Postby jak111 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:21 pm

Night Strike wrote:You won't be able to have a tournament that is only for people who play Forum Mafia, fyi.

It's not ONLY for Forum Mafia. I'm saying the Forum Mafia make up half the players (ie. The first round all Forum Mafia are against all others) and as the game progresses they may have to fight each other (Depending on which side has more people in the top half than the others).
Highest Rank:

Private 1st Class jak111

Postby jgordon1111 on Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:53 pm

Seems very similar to the whack a mod that is finishing up,mafia against CC if I read correct
Private jgordon1111

Postby VioIet on Thu Aug 16, 2012 1:01 am

I would be interested in joining this. I like the idea of a CC vs the Mafia Community Tourney.
Bruceswar: I have big news coming out soonish
Violet: oh, what big news?
Bruceswar: I am leaving KORT to go to RA

Private 1st Class VioIet

Postby chapcrap on Thu Aug 16, 2012 10:35 am

Well, as a mafia player, I think making something like this would be fun.

As a TD, you're last two tournaments should have been locked. The first one was a large team tournament, that you weren't qualified to run (viewtopic.php?f=93&t=150174). The second was open for over a month and never got anyone to sign up (viewtopic.php?f=93&t=157785) before it was finally locked and moved. So, it's a good thing for you to get feedback and make sure your tournament will work and that there is interest in it first.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby jak111 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:39 am

Aye Chap, the only problem I had was that they didn't tell me or let me make the changes needed at the time. For the second tournament, I was keeping it closed off until I got the green light to start signing people up (Didn't want to get their hopes up).

But this one, I'm pretty sure it's going to get the green light, now it's just a matter of question to if we get 8 or more mafia people to join (So we can have at LEAST a 16 man tourny)

I'm working out a few details as far as set ups go, and for the Night Actions, I am very vague atm on what sort of things would be appropriate without making it too over powered (Example: Paying 3 points to make another team lose 2 points might be a bit unjust and unfair for people).
No, I'm thinking more like pay x amount points and you get to change things about the map that you pay for... for a more... home advantage XD and if you pay enough points you can even be able to switch the map!

More details tonight on a few actions, a lot of things will still be open to change until I begin putting a few final touches on some areas.

Right now for maps I got Supermax: Prison Riot and another drug cartel or whatever it's called. But any suggestions on maps for cop/mafia or cop or mafia maps, let me know through pm or on here. Aiming for 12 or 16 mafia players (If not more) to have a decent sized tournament.

For now, it's time to explain the "Lynch" After the first set of round robin (3 games) half the teams will be eliminated. However, each team will pick one of their own player to "Lynch" (Don't worry, there's a method to trade teammates in and out, so they're STILL part of your team). The lynched player will be sitting on the sidelines and able to assist his team morally. When this gets to the finals, I'm thinking of making it much like the other tournament idea in the sense that both teams are paired up 1v1 and EVERYONE on each team is playing (even the lynched players) So it is advised to keep them connected and keeping them onboard with what's going on, because they will still have to help you win the tournament.

I'm thinking this is going to be more of a quadriple for winners (the whole team signed up).

Finally, this goes out to Night Strike in case something is unclear. This is an OPEN tournament with half the spots being filled by Mafia playing members and the other half being community members. There is NO point restriction or premium/freemium restriction involved. Everyone gets to play (as long as they sign up before spots are filled of course..). So you can't slate this one onto a private tournament like some are. (2000 points to join some tournaments? What if I was at 2000 points when I signed up and dropped to 1999?). But in all seriousness, this is an open tournament. Just think of the Mafia members as pre-signups if you must.
Highest Rank:

Private 1st Class jak111

Postby chapcrap on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:19 pm

My suggestion is to discuss this with mafia members in the mafia forum (or direct them here) in order to make sure you have the right number of mafia members to support whatever setup that you want to go with.

Prohibition Chicago and Operation Drug War are possible maps.

Also, if you are having teams in this, you need at least 8 teams. 16 players is the minimum, but that is not in effect if it is 3 or more people on a team. The minimum is 8 teams or 16 players.

I don't suggest lynching players on your own team. If you want to incorporate lynching into the tournament, I would lynch players on other teams. I'm not sure if you are looking at doubles, triples, and quad games or just letting people play 1v1 all on the same team. But, whatever it is, you can come up with some way to lynch people on other teams instead of your own. With that, one thing you could do is assign each player on a team a different night action to perform. Each team could have the same 4 night actions. I would think cop, doc, vig, and VT would be good rolls on a 4 person team. Then, if you win in the previous round, you get to perform night actions. Or you can make night actions dependent on how quickly you win or something like that.
Lieutenant chapcrap

Postby jgordon1111 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:29 pm

I like your Ideas there chap, And I for one will play for mafia. ;)

I am all for it jak if you get it off the ground.
Private jgordon1111

Postby jak111 on Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:59 pm

chapcrap wrote:My suggestion is to discuss this with mafia members in the mafia forum (or direct them here) in order to make sure you have the right number of mafia members to support whatever setup that you want to go with.

Prohibition Chicago and Operation Drug War are possible maps.

Also, if you are having teams in this, you need at least 8 teams. 16 players is the minimum, but that is not in effect if it is 3 or more people on a team. The minimum is 8 teams or 16 players.

I don't suggest lynching players on your own team. If you want to incorporate lynching into the tournament, I would lynch players on other teams. I'm not sure if you are looking at doubles, triples, and quad games or just letting people play 1v1 all on the same team. But, whatever it is, you can come up with some way to lynch people on other teams instead of your own. With that, one thing you could do is assign each player on a team a different night action to perform. Each team could have the same 4 night actions. I would think cop, doc, vig, and VT would be good rolls on a 4 person team. Then, if you win in the previous round, you get to perform night actions. Or you can make night actions dependent on how quickly you win or something like that.

Yes, I was thinking more of a independent role, but giving them a choice (ie. People have a choice of role A,B,C,D,E,F,G,H,I etc and each person on each team chooses the 'role' they are). The only way I'd give a green light on lynching opposing teams is if it's ONLY the team they played against (and not lynching someone from their choice, for that would disrupt the balance greatly).

A set up I was thinking about so someone isn't left out for too long is have each round of the round robin someone is gone from the team, but they come back for the next round robin if their team successfully scores in the top 50%.

8 teams I think is doable. We'd need 16 mafia players and 16 community players (which shouldn't be that hard). If not more people.

The night actions I am still working on but I do think it'd be appropriate for the team to have to sacrifice points to use them (There will be various way to gain tons of points to make it so using something wont hinder your team unable to compete but at the same time cause you to have to think is it worth spending those points?)

Something along a few survival points I was thinking of perhaps something like this:

If your team wins with ALL 4 of your teammates alive, you receive 4 X points.
If your team wins with 3 alive you receive 3 X points
and so on...

Another is SPEED points.

If you eliminate the enemy team in 5 rounds (near impossible but might happen if they get lucky) then they get 10 X points
If you eliminate the enemy team in 10 round you get 5 X points
15 rounds 2 X points
16+ 0 X points

So far my thoughts on Handicapped points.

If your team wins when the other team had full control of the settings available your team gets x2 points.
If your team loses with full control of the settings you get x.5 points.

Map SPECIAL points.

Each map will have 1 or 2 special eliminations that get the team anywhere from 1-5 bonus points (depending on difficulty to do).

TARGET points.

Each person has an opposing enemy to eliminate which they cannot communicate with their teammates, if they successfully eliminate that person themselves, they get their team a bonus x amount of points.

Mind you, these are ideas at the moment. I still need to figure out how to implement any of them without them making the game unbalanced.

Oh believe me Jgordon, as long as this doesn't get red flagged and we get enough mafia mates to join it, it's gonna get off the ground. Once a few of the ideas become solidified I will send out invitations to mafia players to sign up early and contribute their thoughts and ideas to balance this.
Highest Rank:

Private 1st Class jak111

Return to Tournament Archives