Conquer Club

Tournament Ideas Poll

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Which tournament format do you find most interesting?

Poll ended at Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:30 pm

Total votes : 0

Tournament Ideas Poll

Postby Optimus Prime on Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:30 pm

In an effort to get a feeling for which types of tournaments I should plan out and announce in the coming months I decided that doing a short poll would be in order. I know that there is a stickied thread with various ideas at the top of the forum, but after reading through it, there really isn't a clear way of determining the interest in any of the ideas.

So, if you feel like voting, go for it. If you feel like leaving a few thoughts about why you voted a certain way, go for it. I'm mostly just looking for a way to find the interest level in a couple of different formats at the moment.

Regards, Optimus Prime
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Optimus Prime on Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:34 pm

There were two more options I had for the poll, but it would not let me put them on there. They were:

1. League Format (continuous)
2. Other (please elaborate)

If you would like to vote for either of these options, please just mention it in the thread. You can vote for these two options along with any option in the actual poll. I figure that these two options are options that can be included otherwise as well.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Gozar on Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:39 pm

Voted for the singles with points one, but also enjoy league style play.

EDIT:Also, under "Other", the style Forza AZ is using for the Global Warming Tournament is pretty unique.
Lieutenant Gozar

Postby Optimus Prime on Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:43 pm

Forza has come up with some very intriguing formats for his tournaments. Some of them are ones that I truly wish I would have thought up before.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Serbia on Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:59 pm

I'm a big fan of the league style tourneys, I'm in the MLB mini, NHL season, and NFL doubles. Any time anyone wants to set up one like that, I'll want in!
CONFUSED? YOU'LL KNOW WHEN YOU'RE RIPE
saxitoxin wrote:Serbia is a RUDE DUDE
may not be a PRUDE, but he's gotta 'TUDE
might not be LEWD, but he's gonna get BOOED
RUDE
Captain Serbia

Postby denominator on Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:13 pm

There wasn't a "mixed" option (like the Football Hooligans format), but I really like the idea of 1v1 and multiple people on the same map.
Sergeant 1st Class denominator

Postby GreecePwns on Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:15 pm

I like leagues (especially round robin) because the schedule is most fair that way.
Chariot of Fire wrote:As for GreecePwns.....yeah, what? A massive debt. Get a job you slacker.

Viceroy wrote:[The Biblical creation story] was written in a time when there was no way to confirm this fact and is in fact a statement of the facts.
Corporal GreecePwns

Postby Optimus Prime on Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:15 pm

denominator wrote:There wasn't a "mixed" option (like the Football Hooligans format), but I really like the idea of 1v1 and multiple people on the same map.

That fits under the other option then. That's why I put it there, so I could get a feel for things.
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Optimus Prime on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:24 pm

Just moving this on up the list a little more to see if we can get some newcomers in the polls or to comment on ideas. :)
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby michiganfan22 on Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:32 pm

league is wat i voted. too many 1 vs 1 tourny so i would like a dubs or trips league
Lieutenant michiganfan22

Postby Optimus Prime on Sat Oct 06, 2007 4:35 pm

Just figured I'd move this to the top and see if I can get any life out of it. I'd love some more feedback from you guys if you have a few minutes.

Regards, Optimus Prime
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Aerial Attack on Sat Oct 06, 2007 5:05 pm

I accidentally voted for the first option [Singles - only the winner moves on]. I thought that was 1 v 1 (like Point Grabbers)

That being said. I like most styles of tournament. The RTB League is mix of everything. The NHL League is sweet. Gozar's Long Walk is nice in that we only start 1 game a week. I like PJ's Random Map Reprise - whilst I had the same opponent's for 4 matches, it was only 4 matches [unless I had moved on this last round where I would have faced one of my original foes - several weeks later].

I actually like the argos's assassin tournament, but didn't feel like I earned my spot in the finals [too many people dropped out]. I dropped out of the Supreme Doubles league because there was just too many games with the same people (albeit switching back and forth from partner to opp). Once this next round of games of the 3456 league are completed, I will not be continuing [mainly because Forza AZ kicked everybody's fanny in our division], even if by some miracle I end up the points leader.

As you can see, my basic problems are 1) dropout rates and 2) over familiarity [breeds contempt] with opps. I don't mind playing the same people, it just gets frustrating see the same person kick your butt every game (not mentioning any [Forza AZ] names). Obviously, I need to get better and learn from that person's play style.

That was a long drawn out babble fest.

In summary, I like most tournaments - just try to have a decent pace (fewer dropouts) and space out the matches between the same players.
Sergeant Aerial Attack

Postby rhm3769 on Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:01 pm

voted singles with points, haven't played too much with teams, but you can modify a singles with points tournament to fit teams, and even add in a singles element by having the teams randomized along the way and give points to individual players along the way, although giving singles points kind of causes the team members to compete with each other, also....
Cadet rhm3769

Postby barterer2002 on Sat Oct 06, 2007 7:33 pm

Personally I'm pretty up for any tourneys. I'm enjoying them but don't have myself a partner yet for doubs or trips so I stick to the singles format.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby Optimus Prime on Sat Oct 06, 2007 8:33 pm

barterer2002 wrote:Personally I'm pretty up for any tourneys. I'm enjoying them but don't have myself a partner yet for doubs or trips so I stick to the singles format.

If you ever need a partner for a doubles tournament, you just let me know. I'd be happy to play with you. :)
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby barterer2002 on Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:39 pm

You might find that I talk to much as a partner. Some players don't like it.
Sergeant barterer2002

Postby Optimus Prime on Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:40 pm

barterer2002 wrote:You might find that I talk to much as a partner. Some players don't like it.

Better to talk too much than to not talk at all. :wink:
Cadet Optimus Prime

I'll have to go with 'Other'

Postby Kinnison on Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:54 pm

...as i like a variety of things.

1v1 is NOT something that interests me much, even in a round-robin or multi-game format. Singles, I prefer mutigame and ranking.

I have only played one doubles game to this point, but it's the start of a tournament... I think team play is an intruiging idea, but it looks like doubles, 3 teams to a map is the only way to reduce the effect of luck in the draw and going first. 2 Doubles teams to a map can leave the game open for pretty brutal exploitation by whichever team goes first.

Exotic formats work... I was actually working on an idea much like the current 3456 league to try and run when that one got posted, so I've shelved it for now, but I like the concept. (as much as I'm getting my head lopped off, I don't know WHY, but I do like it)

I've also considered an odd team concept. Say, 6 groups of 6; one designated captain for each 'team'. publish the 6 games to be played, (map, forts, cards, etc). have the captains poll or discuss with their members, then assign one person to each of the six games, to make points for their team in terms of finishing position.

Could run that one as a league... could even have spare players, and do a fantasy-rotissiere sort of thing, with the 'managers' not actually playing... only with CC players, but that's getting a bit unnecessarily baroque. ;)
Lieutenant Kinnison

Return to Tournament Archives