Conquer Club

4. Tournament Formats

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

4. Tournament Formats

Postby Gilligan on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:25 am

I've seen a huge variety of formats of tournaments. Discuss them here, which one you like the best, which one the public likes the best, etc.

I, personally, do things like: Groups, player with most points wins, then they play the other winners of the other groups, the player with the most points in round 2 wins'.

I don't really have the creative mind, so anything would be good!
Captain Gilligan

Postby spinwizard on Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:33 am

terminator, most kills are ok, so are brackets :)
Private 1st Class spinwizard

Postby Optimus Prime on Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:44 am

I'm personally still trying to perfect the standard 6-player game round robin format for a future tournament. I want there to be enough games to truly test the skills of the players, but give them a break from playing the same players in every game each round.

Thoughts or suggestions anyone?
Cadet Optimus Prime

Postby Gilligan on Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:27 am

Optimus Prime wrote:I'm personally still trying to perfect the standard 6-player game round robin format for a future tournament. I want there to be enough games to truly test the skills of the players, but give them a break from playing the same players in every game each round.

Kinda like Conquer Club Superstars? (Coleman's tourney)
Captain Gilligan

Postby Selin on Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:51 am

Optimus Prime wrote:I'm personally still trying to perfect the standard 6-player game round robin format for a future tournament. I want there to be enough games to truly test the skills of the players, but give them a break from playing the same players in every game each round.

what's round robin format?

Brigadier Selin

Postby spinwizard on Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:54 am

Everyone plays each other with in a group or leauge... :)
Private 1st Class spinwizard

Postby Forza AZ on Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:35 pm

You can randomly divide the players over the games for each new gameround. So let's say you have 36 players in 6 games, and you want each player to play 10 games. For each new round of games you make a new random draw, so players play other players each round.

I personally like group where you play the same players in more games, as this adds more competition to it. Not just winning a game, but you also have to look at other players position in the game. It can be good to not go for the win, but make sure another player doesn't win, so you advance and no the other player.
But of course the numer of games you play with the same people should not get to big, as it then gets a bit boring.
Highest score: 3130 (9 July 2009)
Colonel Forza AZ

Postby MarVal on Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:28 pm

I agree with Forza Az.

One tourney thats looks like that is running in the Dutch Language Forum, called Veroveraars Club Toernooi.

Click for an example the link below:

Veroveraars Club Toernooi

Because the Tourney is in the Dutch language, here below most important translating:

Its just like a football league, where everybody gets points:
1st = 7, 2nd = 5, 3rd = 4, 4th = 3, 5th = 2 and 6th = 1

There are 3 leagues, Dutch League, Belgium League and Luxembourgh League. They all plays for points in their own league for the top of it, but also for total points to be the best of all leagues, so called Veroveraars Trofee.
Their playing against each other in their own league, but their are also games where different players in all leagues battle together.

Note: On the third post (on the first page) and further below you will find the format list / ranking list.

Grtz
MarVal
Image highest score: 2157 (Major) / Verd ori'shya beskar'gam
ImageImage
Corporal MarVal

sports seasons

Postby flexmaster33 on Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:28 pm

I prefer large tourneys that follow some sort of sports format...although I am a complete sports junkie...looking for some creative ones to start later this winter.
Lieutenant flexmaster33

Postby amazzony on Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:04 am

I'm playing 1v1 tourneys just because I like the game style, they are usually quick games and a lot of times, as I'm online a lot, I can finish them RT. And mostly they don't need premium so they fit for me to play. And even if I don't have a spot open then only 1 person has to wait after me and not many.

Hmm, about organising... dunno. Different ones (aka all 3 are a bit different :P ). But I think that the most important thing for me is that the tournament that I make would have a solid back ground and story.
First was just Part I and a test if I can make them so it was just 16 people/4 groups/eliminating and winning gives points/most points in group wins (so I have 4 winners of the tournament AKA 4 Fantastic Four members).
Second one I took over from Spinwizard and tweaked it a bit. First there are groups of 5, then winner will get to round 2 and since then there will be 1v1 games (so basically like OPies Point Grabbers now on). And winner will be decided in 2 out of 3 (like Godd's You're Eliminated). So, nothing new but I didn't mean to be copycat either :roll:
And third, Fantastic Four (part II) will be first terminator games and then in second round 1v1 games.

Overall, I guess I like to mix different game styles together.

Oh, and it would be really cool to know which games people outside of this group like and what's important for them. Maybe there's something that they would like to see in tournaments but we don't know that...
Lieutenant amazzony

Postby Gilligan on Mon Nov 12, 2007 7:53 pm

I tend to think the whole tournament should be one type: Singles, Doubles, OR triples. Having more than one of those sort of kills the point, I think. Not everyone is the best at all 3, so on occasion I could see it working, but not for every tournament someone hosts.

Usually the point of a tournament is to find the best player at something; not specifically everything (if that makes any sense whatsoever).
Captain Gilligan

Return to Tournament Archives