Conquer Club

Maps for tournaments...

Where dead threads are laid to rest - No new topics, no new posts allowed

Moderator: Tournament Directors

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Maps for tournaments...

Postby MrBenn on Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:39 pm

I've been wondering for some time about ways to forge links between the foundry and tournaments...

What I'd really like to know, is if there are any tournament ideas that would work well with a new map - ie one specifically made with a (set of) tournaments in mind...

Basically, I guess I'm asking for people's ideas for a 'design brief' for a tournament with a theoretical map.

(I'll add a footnote to say that I'm vaguely looking for a new map project and could hypothetically be interested ;-) )
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Re: Maps for tournaments...

Postby RedBaron0 on Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:03 pm

Sports related tournaments are big, a baseball/football/hockey/basketball/soccer pack of maps would be a good idea.
ImageImage
Sergeant 1st Class RedBaron0

Postby Gilligan on Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:35 pm

I still wish Coleman had finished that Bracket Tournament map.
Captain Gilligan

Postby MrBenn on Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:48 pm

There must be more tournament ideas that are lurking around, just waiting for a bespoke map... :lol:
PB: 2661 | He's blue... If he were green he would die | No mod would be stupid enough to do that
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby Peter Gibbons on Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:07 pm

Not sure if you've seen my Initech Series, but I have essentially been cycling through various geographic areas. I keep the same settings (flat, chained, foggy) and alternate or mix up standard and terminator. Have started 8 thus far and already have 8 more planned.

Anyway, I happen to be really partial to city maps. I think the geography, impassables and local quirks can be very interesting. As an example, I love Vancouver and Chicago. Charleston is another excellent one. So, I'd love to see more maps of cities. My specific idea is this:

A "G8" world capitals map pack. Washington, London, Paris, Ottawa, Rome, Tokyo, Moscow, and Berlin. You could have consistent color schemes like with the interstate maps, but each city has its own unique features to add. I'd foresee a tourney with those maps and the new World Cities map. I'm no mapmaker, but would be happy to help with developent if you or someone else wanted to take it on.
Major Peter Gibbons

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:05 pm

I think it would be cool if there was a series of maps that got progressively "harder".

The first map is just a very simply classic style map with obvious choke points and a clear bonus system.

The second map introduces some one way attacks and an auto deploy or two.

The third map has more "open" geography and more varied bonus groupings.

The Final map is even more complicated with bombardments, one ways, auto deploys and decay, varied bonus schemes and requires some detailed tactics.

The graphics for all four could be tied together, but also could take a progression. Think of the progression of sports, from Amateur to Pro. The first map is local qualifying, so the text is maybe slightly sloppy, or it seems more just like a well worn field that has markings for other sports on it. The second is a slightly bigger arena, with maybe some lights and stands. The third is fairly serious, and the fourth is the championship stadium, with electronic scoreboards, stadium seating, lights, etc.

I know this has been suggested many times before and no one has been able to really make it stick, but either a "perfectly balanced" map or a dedicated 1v1 map would be awesome for tournaments.

The other idea I have thought about, and probably by far the easiest to implement, is different skins for maps. When creating a game you simply choose the skin you want, all else stays the same. Then you could have something like following my first idea, where you start with a skin that shows a game table at someones house with chips and snacks on it, and a few lost pieces replaced with coins, a map that is at a long table with others at a local tournament, and map that is from a regional tournament that maybe has official rule books next to it, and then the championship gold plated official map. This way a TO could move players through the tournament visually.

Or the skins could be for different regions, so everyone has the same gameplay. Or different elements would be very cool. Light, Water, Fire, Earth, Dark, Holy, Thunder skins for maps.
Private SuicidalSnowman

Postby Kotaro on Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:26 pm

You could do a "History of Maps - Start to Finish", where you start with the first maps, and work your way through, giving everyone a singles, doubles, triples, and (where applicable) Quads game on each map
Lakad Matataaag!
Normalin, normalin.

TheJonah wrote:I`m not really that arsed. Just supporting my mucker.
Lieutenant Kotaro

Postby Peter Gibbons on Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:11 pm

To amend my suggestion just a little bit (because 8 maps is a LOT)... perhaps a map pack including the 5 capitals of the permanent members of the UN Security Council?

So Washington DC, London, Paris, Moscow, Beijing.

Tokyo and Ottawa would likely have been the two least-interesting (map-wise) of the G8 and there is a Poison Rome map already, so really you're just losing Berlin to pick up Beijing.
Major Peter Gibbons

Postby Nola_Lifer on Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:13 pm

My partner, BigBallinStalin and I enjoy playing 6 player doubles with fog on San Marino. We find that it is incredible balanced for this situation. All the bonuses are placed perfectly and multiple outcomes can happened, fortunately the games never last very long. If there are other maps like this, or maps made like this, I would love to make a tournament with it. I am in the process of making one for San Marino as soon as the other one that I started finishes and I figure out the body of the tournament.
Major Nola_Lifer

Postby MrBenn on Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:34 pm

Glad to see this topic being bumped...

I think I'll push some of these ideas a little more once we're into the new year...
Lieutenant MrBenn

Postby PepeAtila on Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:02 pm

I dont know if it is late to answer, I made something similar. I mean I made a tournament "Join2 Gladiators"(terminator tournament) and began to design a map.

But if it is possible I need several type of maps for some of my tournaments:
Join2 Snipers (assassin tournament) I mad the first in San Francisco and I will make the next in Montreal. I dont know if more cities are developped.

Join2Me (multiple tournament) But I was going like historically
1vs 1 : Egypt: Upper, Egypt: Lower, Egypt: Nubia
double (old civilizations) : Mongol Empire, Greater China, Middle East
triple (ancient civilizations): Alexander's Empire, Ancient Greece, Midgard (this last one - doesnt fit too much)
quadruple : I think they should be arround Roman Empire and a little later.
later I divide teams in different games.
But mainly I need something similar to Prisson Riot... but arround this Greece/Roman time for my prisoners ... :D

Lingua ... several tournaments divided by languages, It is difficult to find maps to 'represent' Spanish, French or Portuguess Speakers or something about the spread of diferent languages.

well just some ideas.
PepeAtila
Captain PepeAtila

Postby TaCktiX on Sat Jan 02, 2010 8:01 am

SuicidalSnowman wrote:I think it would be cool if there was a series of maps that got progressively "harder".

The first map is just a very simply classic style map with obvious choke points and a clear bonus system.

The Final map is even more complicated with bombardments, one ways, auto deploys and decay, varied bonus schemes and requires some detailed tactics.

The graphics for all four could be tied together, but also could take a progression. Think of the progression of sports, from Amateur to Pro. The first map is local qualifying, so the text is maybe slightly sloppy, or it seems more just like a well worn field that has markings for other sports on it. The second is a slightly bigger arena, with maybe some lights and stands. The third is fairly serious, and the fourth is the championship stadium, with electronic scoreboards, stadium seating, lights, etc.

Necro-reply I know, but I actually had this idea in my head for a while back that somewhat fits what you're asking for, but for some crazy reason I was thinking of putting it all on one map (4 different gameplays, linked to each other by a couple of territories). Expanding it out to 4 maps shouldn't be that much of a difficulty, but there will be a delay for when I start on it if it has legs (think March at the earliest). Think about a full-scale war on a continent (WWII was a good example of that, but this would be fictional geography). That would be map one, full deal Classic with no extras. Map two would be zooming into the two countries biggest in the fight, adding in province capital bonuses, maybe some one-ways, etc. Map three would be down to a regional campaign, with bombardments (air strikes), distance attack (tanks), and maybe some build-a-bonus. Map four would be a battlefield itself, with tons of autodeploy, bombardments, one-way attacks, XML-capability-gamut. Sound like what you had in mind?
Corporal 1st Class TaCktiX

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:31 pm

TaCktiX wrote:
SuicidalSnowman wrote:I think it would be cool if there was a series of maps that got progressively "harder".

Necro-reply I know, but I actually had this idea in my head for a while back that somewhat fits what you're asking for, but for some crazy reason I was thinking of putting it all on one map (4 different gameplays, linked to each other by a couple of territories). Expanding it out to 4 maps shouldn't be that much of a difficulty, but there will be a delay for when I start on it if it has legs (think March at the earliest). Think about a full-scale war on a continent (WWII was a good example of that, but this would be fictional geography). That would be map one, full deal Classic with no extras. Map two would be zooming into the two countries biggest in the fight, adding in province capital bonuses, maybe some one-ways, etc. Map three would be down to a regional campaign, with bombardments (air strikes), distance attack (tanks), and maybe some build-a-bonus. Map four would be a battlefield itself, with tons of autodeploy, bombardments, one-way attacks, XML-capability-gamut. Sound like what you had in mind?

Yes, sounds very similar to what I had in mind.

I could run the "Ender's Game" Tournament, where you start out playing a simple board game with your friends (Must be easy, tracking with pen and paper, but strategies always apply), then move into War College, where you run mock battles with your classmates (Adding the complexity), then you become a New Recruit where you get to train in Computer Simulations of real battles, and then you are deployed, and in command of your full army, where anything and everything goes, win at all costs.

Or, you could use it for an awesome quads tourny. The quad teams play on the most complicated map, large scale battles, massive armies fighting for control of the world. The triples games goes on the next map, still a major battle, but you are a little closer to the action. Then doubles is on the next map, hard, close, personal fighting. Finally, you play singles games or 1v1 on the simplest map. Dirty, hand to hand combat to take over a small, but possibly essential territory in the larger battle.

Above, you have described it reverse of mine, but that is fine too.

And a better TO could use them like this:

They draw a fake map, and then you can play the fourth map to win individual battle points, when can then be used to take over regions (on the next map) which can then take over countries (the next map) which can then lead to world domination (the largest, classic style map).

Please PM me when this project begins. I would love to be a part of it. You have a great idea!
Private SuicidalSnowman

Postby SuicidalSnowman on Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:43 pm

A few other things I have been thinking of, since this has been bumped:

I still think "skins" or "themes" would be awesome for TOs. Also, then the foundry can get some more people involved, more graphics options etc.

I also would love a dedicated 1v1 map. Or, a map that is designed to be nicely balanced for 1v1s.

I have enjoyed using some of the objective maps for my objective games tournament. I'll give you an example, then you guys can see where I am going.

One game is called "Proliferation." The idea is to make your army the most populated throughout the land. I am scoring it by using the game log after the game finishes. This way, I can see who had the largest number of territories at the end of the game. So I used Oasis, because it has a lot of territories. But I also like it, since it has the objective, that someone who see their opponent capturing lots of territories can hold the objective and end the game early. Furthermore, by holding a lot of territories, you are getting hit with the -1 decay each round.

I also will probably use Kabanella's Crusade map when it leaves Beta. I might give 10 points for winning by one objective, 8 by winning for another, or 6 for winning by domination.

If any of you ever played Classic Board game Risk, it had a variant for Capital Risk where you had to hold a specific territory as your capital. It got an auto-deploy, and if you lost it, you lost the game, even with a stack somewhere else. I did this with Feudal War, where your start castle was your capital. You didn't lose if you lost it (can't!) but the only way to get points was to capture other castles. Manual deployment may help this in the future, but otherwise, you need a map like Feudal for this to work.

And obviously, this is my tournament wet dream, maps where the TO can assign starting positions, neutrals, number of troops, etc.
Private SuicidalSnowman

Postby barterer2002 on Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:54 pm

there are a number of ways to build around the current maps but one of my ideas that I haven't followed up on yet would be progressively larger (covering more players). for instance, start with Cities, so you have a San Fran Region, a Montreal Region, etc. Then move it up to a more regional thing then a country thing, then continent then world so it would look something like this (using the current maps available

City Round
San Fran
NYC
Chicago (Prohibition)
Seattle (Puget Sound)
Montreal
Hong Kong
Charleston
Peking (Forbidden City)
Rome (Poison Rome)
Sydney Metro
Cairns Metro
Vancouver
Berlin 1961

(I've got one extra so will take out Chicago)

SO I'd have 12 regions that would merge into 6 as follows
NYC/Charleston---> American Civil War
Montreal/Vancouver----> Canada
San Francisco/Seattle----- > USA West
Peking/Hong Kong-----> Greater China
Cairns/Sydney------> Australia
Rome/Berlin------> Europa

These would then slide into 6 larger areas as follows
ACW/USA West----->USA
Australia/Greater China--->Eastern Hemisphere
Canada/Europa------> Land and Sea

and the finals would then run on one of the global maps-possibly the new classic to bring us back to the cities theme.

Thus for me, tourament thinking, more cities would be a great thing. I'd love to see London, Paris, Cairo, Athens, Moscow, Washington, Mexico City, and Rio created, Cities are coming but more and more is good from where I sit.
Sergeant barterer2002

Return to Tournament Archives