Conquer Club

Private or Password Protected games

Suggestions that have been archived.

Moderator: Community Team

Private or Password Protected games

Postby Twill on Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:56 am

Would be great to have the option to make a game private or "by invitation only"

Especially as the site grows, would be nice to be able to choose, limit to, or invite certain players...high level, friends, family etc.

Just a thought :)

Twill
Corporal 1st Class Twill

Postby SagxaZefiro on Sun Jan 22, 2006 6:14 pm

I support this message. :D
Private SagxaZefiro

Postby lackattack on Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:04 am

I agree too and it's rather high on my to-do list.
Sergeant lackattack

Postby SagxaZefiro on Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:07 am

lackattack: your avatar is totally badass btw!
Private SagxaZefiro

Postby dagreatbroomhead on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:19 pm

one suggestion for when you make the inviting feature, you might want to make a box to check somewhere that reads, "do not allow private invites" for people who don't want to be spammed with messages like, " lol dud!!11!1 com ply w/ the colzzor"

Edit: don't get me wrong, i definitely want this feature, will make it easier to accept games from people at school, and i want it, nay i need it! but i still don't want people spamming the list with invites.
Sergeant 1st Class dagreatbroomhead

Postby Twill on Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:58 pm

Definately will need a "find player" button with score/rank and game history links.

i.e. if I want to play with the top 5 players then I can easily find them by sorting through rank.

Agree with the "don't allow invites" or "only alow invites from buddies" type thing (assuming you put in a buddy option ;) )

Twill
Corporal 1st Class Twill

Postby lackattack on Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:33 am

Actually, what I had in mind was setting a password to a game when you create it, and it's up to you to tell the password to your buddies, by phone, private message, whatever...
Sergeant lackattack

Postby Twill on Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:03 am

hmmm, well, then, an invite method would be nice - what if we don't really know the person and they tend not to check the forum....getting the PW to them would be kinda hard.
Corporal 1st Class Twill

Private Games

Postby Scarus on Tue Jan 24, 2006 4:54 pm

Thanks for considering this option. Of course, the ability to host locked games does enable highly ranked players to play each other, but it also opens up a whole new can of worms, with players rank hunting, and dodging challangers, etc.

I think the best use of private games will be for us to be able to play with people that we know will not surrender during the first turn. It's great to be able to play fun games with people that you know will take the game seriously, but still have fun.

Some kind of instant, private, messaging system would also be beneficial so that people that know you, but might not know your password, can communicate with you to ask if they can enter your game.

I've been playing Risk online for many years and this site really is a great addition to the online Risk community. I really appreciate all the work that the site developers have, and continue to, put into this.

Scarus
Sergeant 1st Class Scarus

Private Games & Scoring

Postby Dragonslayer on Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:07 pm

the ability to host locked games does enable highly ranked players to play each other, but it also opens up a whole new can of worms, with players rank hunting, and dodging challangers

I think that this could be remedied by tweaking the scoring system to allow a player to pick up more points for defeating an opponent with a higher rank. I'm a software developer as well (very impressed with what you've done here) and I'd be willing to do some research into scoring systems that you might adopt to avoid that can of worms.
Private Dragonslayer

Postby lackattack on Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:24 pm

I think that this could be remedied by tweaking the scoring system to allow a player to pick up more points for defeating an opponent with a higher rank.

Actually that's exactly how it works - the formula is (loser's score / winner's score ) * 20. So if a 500 point player defeats a 1500 point player, he gets (1500/500) * 20 = 60 points.

And since you're a web developer, I'll tell you that I intend to put some AJAX in the game. That way only the armies and the log would refresh when you attack, and not the whole screen. But there are many things that need to get done first...
Sergeant lackattack

private tables

Postby Pedronicus on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:32 am

Very good idea - Theres a lot of stuff to nick 'ideas wise' from the poker sites
Major Pedronicus

Postby Mauddib28 on Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:36 am

OMG YES!! Please do the password games, cause there are alot of us here that want to play school games. Paco, JDV, Desert Fox, Mighty Max, saddestsong, backstabber, gcpnk we hope you can get it set soon. :D
Private 1st Class Mauddib28

Private Games

Postby Scarus on Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:28 pm

lackattack,

Just wanted to kick this topic back up to the top to try and get your attention. I know I'm bugging, but the ability to have private games would completely change the complexion of this whole site. It would also resolve a lot of other complaints that people have about having to play with deadbeats, turnmissers, and the like. If you could label your private game "fast game", "slow game", or something personal, like "Scarus' Nuthouse", that would be Great!!

Again, thanks for providing the playground.

Scarus
Last edited by Scarus on Sat Feb 04, 2006 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Private Games

Postby thegrimsleeper on Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:23 pm

Scarus wrote:Scarus' Nuthouse

:lol: ROTFL :lol:
Sergeant 1st Class thegrimsleeper

I'm So With You Scarus

Postby joetalk on Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:56 pm

I think that is the shit!!!!!!
A label that states game speed, so that people have an expectation before entering into that type of comitment. Thats when it would be idea to have some type of instant mssger for voting actions on other players that are dead beats.
Joetalk OUT
Cook joetalk

private games

Postby rabin on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:19 pm

Lack, what about the idea of having an option to put password protected games, meaning if I start a game but want only certain people to join(people I can PM), this decreases the chance of playing in a game with multies/cheaters that might jump into a newly created game right away...it could be an option when you create a new game?

Rabin
Corporal 1st Class rabin

Postby SprCobra on Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:25 pm

Thats quite a good idea
Cadet SprCobra

Postby Crimson_Knight on Tue Feb 07, 2006 4:01 pm

A further note on that: if you want to play a game with a specific person, it's HARD to get into the same game unless you both are on at the same time. I hosted a game last night waiting for my brother, and the game was full and started 30 minutes later (and it was six player at that!). Hard for people who want to play together but whose internet schedules are not synchronized.
"I can only express puzzlement, that borders on alarm..."
~Klump, Sin City
Private Crimson_Knight

Postby ZawBanjito on Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:59 am

If I recall correctly Lackattack has stated that this is high on his priorities. I believe he also said it would be a feature of the proposed "premium accounts" but I may have that wrong.
Colonel ZawBanjito

password protected games

Postby rabin on Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:51 pm

I think I have already mentioned this, but was wondering if there was an update? Essentially there would be an OPTION when you create a game if you want it password protected(you create the password). This enables you to just ask your friends to play instead of creating a game and some random people jumping in as soon as they see a new created game. You could also post in these forums the password as not everyone checks the forums...the main goal of this is really to eliminate the MULTI effect, which I personally feel can easily get out of control. In an older on-line RISK site I used to play at, they had this option and it really seemes to please the regulars who felt that random people were quickly jumping into their games, and then not playing at all, or multi accounts joing the same games cause they were able to.
Corporal 1st Class rabin

Postby SprCobra on Thu Feb 23, 2006 3:53 pm

Youc na do that now but only if you have Premium membership but everyone should be able to do it
Its not premium worthy feature and people wont get premium just to password protect thier games
Cadet SprCobra

Postby Aahz on Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:49 pm

SprCobra wrote:Youc na do that now but only if you have Premium membership but everyone should be able to do it
Its not premium worthy feature and people wont get premium just to password protect thier games

If it wasn't for passwords I probably wouldn't have bought my premium membership as quickly as I did.

$20/year is a cheap price to pay so that my friends and I can play private internet based games.

-Aahz
Cook Aahz

password games

Postby Scarus on Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:04 pm

I also snapped up the premium membership primarily so we could use passwords to protect our friendly games from all the rank hungry, abusive players that seem to have sprung up from the woodwork here.

There are now private games open to all xiGAMES members who are all prescreened, and agree to play with honor and respect. Play fun games where you have a fair chance and there are no deadbeats or abusers. Check out xiGAMES.

Scarus
Been playing Risk for a bit

Proud Member of xiGames, where Friends Kill Friends, with Honor

Return to Archived Suggestions