Conquer Club

Mapo Beta Testing

Topics that are not maps. Discuss general map making concepts, techniques, contests, etc, here.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Mapo Beta Testing

Postby kevinc on Sat Apr 22, 2006 9:38 am

Hey,

It would be great if map designers could Beta test maps. In many maps you won't see problems until a few games are played.

I'd suggest maps in development should be private games and only certain people can create games with them so that they can be tested before being unleashed on the public.
Corporal kevinc

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:15 pm

The idea has been thrown out before, and it is a rather good one. Perhaps a team of traditional beta testers could be picked and then they could real time play the map a few times looking for any bugs that pop up.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby qeee1 on Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:33 pm

it'd have to be a no points game in that case. Well it wouldn't have to... but if you wanted to be fair points wise.
Colonel qeee1

Postby AndyDufresne on Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:35 pm

Or the Beta testers could simply have special accounts for playing beta test games. That would alleviate the problem of them playing for true points, if they weren't using their normal accounts.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Apr 22, 2006 1:53 pm

Bah!! It wouldnt work!! How many games do you think that are necessary to discover all bugs? 2 or 3 beta games will do nothing... unless they are great errors.

Do you know what we need? A person that can study the xml, only this. Any bugs reported to Brazil map? Only one, when lack wasted the xml (I sent him again from my backup). The map makers need be carefull while doing the xml, thats it. And a revision helps, too.
Major Marvaddin

Postby Hoff on Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:02 pm

How long did it take you marv to get your brasil map up once you submitted it to lack?
Sergeant Hoff

Postby Marvaddin on Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:22 pm

Almost 2 weeks. So, dont be so hasty... Calm down, lack is a very busy guy. There will be a day you will ask yourself if your map was approved, and you will doubt it... One night, an e-mail of lack will be waiting for you, asking if you agree with the legal terms... a happy sensation, I remember. For now, I suggest you forget it (is its possible).

Edit: oh, you wrote Brasil, with "s". Do you speak Portuguese? Or is it a mistake?
Major Marvaddin

Postby Hoff on Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:43 pm

It was a typo, my bad. But thanks.
Sergeant Hoff

Postby kevinc on Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:16 pm

Marvaddin wrote:Bah!! It wouldnt work!! How many games do you think that are necessary to discover all bugs? 2 or 3 beta games will do nothing... unless they are great errors.

Do you know what we need? A person that can study the xml, only this. Any bugs reported to Brazil map? Only one, when lack wasted the xml (I sent him again from my backup). The map makers need be carefull while doing the xml, thats it. And a revision helps, too.

Marv, I'm not talking about XML bugs. I'm talking about things like continent bonuses, areas etc.. Things about the actual playability of the map.
Corporal kevinc

Return to Foundry Discussions