Conquer Club

CC City Mogul [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderator: Cartographers

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Postby DiM on Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:27 pm

what do i have to do to get oaktown in here?

i used to use bananas for andy but since the new mods are here i have no idea what bait to use :?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby InkL0sed on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:56 pm

We should eventually have 3D maps, that can rotate and everything. That would be awesome.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby DiM on Fri Jan 25, 2008 8:58 pm

InkL0sed wrote:We should eventually have 3D maps, that can rotate and everything. That would be awesome.

i truly hope we will someday get full 3d maps.
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:27 am

DiM wrote:what do i have to do to get oaktown in here?

i used to use bananas for andy but since the new mods are here i have no idea what bait to use :?

Have you ever played the game "Hungry Hippos"?

If so - then you'll know that you need small white plastic spheres!!!!

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby fireedud on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:37 am

yeti_c wrote:
DiM wrote:what do i have to do to get oaktown in here?

Have you ever played the game "Hungry Hippos"?

If so - then you'll know that you need small white plastic spheres!!!!

C.

aren't they marbles?
me have no sig
Cook fireedud

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:38 am

thanks for the tip yeti.

*leaves a trail of plastic spheres*

*adds a few marbles to be sure*
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:55 am

Dim, just thought i'd give you some feedback....i like the idea although a little abstract and one has to read the story from P1, but i'm not yet sold on the blue background for a blueprint....to me it looks awkward if i am to be honest with you. :)
* Pearl Harbour * Waterloo * Forbidden City * Jamaica * Pot Mosbi
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:18 pm

cairnswk wrote:Dim, just thought i'd give you some feedback....i like the idea although a little abstract and one has to read the story from P1, but i'm not yet sold on the blue background for a blueprint....to me it looks awkward if i am to be honest with you. :)

i'm not sure what's wrong with the blue background. i mean it's a blueprint not a purpleprint or a whiteprint.

indeed the shade is lighter than a normal blueprint would be but that's for readability purposes. if you look on page 1 you'll see it used to be darker but the army numbers would be hard to see.

also if you notice i have tried my best to replicate the feeling of an actual blueprint by making 2 horizontal folds and adding shades to make it quasi 3d, and i also added a crease in the top right corner as well as a coffee mug stain.
furthermore if you look at the text as well as the white thin lines you'll notice they are scratched like a sharp stylus was used.

as for the story on page 1, yes it would be nice to have it on the map but size restrictions are a bitch. hopefully the story for this map as well as all other maps that have one will be presented on the info pages lack will include in the near future.
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:26 pm

This is one of the the types of texture i was thinking of for a blue print, the other was a plain white background, that is what i am used to seeing to for a blue print.

Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:33 pm

cairnswk wrote:This is one of the the types of texture i was thinking of for a blue print, the other was a plain white background, that is what i am used to seeing to for a blue print.

odd. when i google blueprint images most of them are like this:

or

even on wikipedia the blueprint is blue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blueprint

and a few lines of text from wikipedia:
The term "blueprint" was originally derived from the visual aspects of prints made using the contact printing process of cyanotype. It is cyanotype which produces the white lines on blue background which are characteristic of the traditional blueprint.
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:42 pm

As correct as you may be with you research, i am not convinced by your version.
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:49 pm

cairnswk wrote:As correct as you may be with you research, i am not convinced by your version.

then tell me what needs to be done to make the blue print more realistic.

as i said above i've added a few things to make it as real as possible:

creases and folds
shadows and gradients
scratched lines and text
coffee mug stain
oh and the scotchtaped paper note

tell me what else needs to be done and i'll try and do it.
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:50 pm

To weigh in here - most "building plans" are on a pale colour with a bluey ink...

More like Cairns image...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:52 pm

yeti_c wrote:To weigh in here - most "building plans" are on a pale colour with a bluey ink...

More like Cairns image...

C.

you're on to something yeti but what you have there is not a blueprint. it is in fact a whiteprint

and i'm not trying to do a whiteprint, i'm trying to do a blueprint.

like so:

edit// one more thing you say most buildings are whiteprints. well it all depends on the placement in time. blueprints are older, whiteprints are modern. as i said i'm not doing a modern whiteprint, i'm doing an old blueprint.

edit 2// notice the white scratchy lines in the image above? they are present on my map too :P
Last edited by DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major DiM

Postby yeti_c on Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:56 pm

Indeed - and a blue print is a negative of the "white" print is it not?

With the white print being the one used in real terms - and the blue print being the archive from which to create multiple white prints?

Either way though - it's your choice...

C.
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:01 pm

yeti_c wrote:Indeed - and a blue print is a negative of the "white" print is it not?

With the white print being the one used in real terms - and the blue print being the archive from which to create multiple white prints?

Either way though - it's your choice...

C.

actually no. that process was introduced somewhere in middle of the last century.

but anyway you're right. it's my choice to do a blue print instead of a whiteprint because honestly whiteprints don't have feeling whereas blueprints do.
we should not be debating the use of a blue or white print but rather how to make the blueprint better.
as i said i have done several things to get that authenticity feeling. if anything else can be done without spoiling the image (*) i'm up for discussion and i will do it.

(*) i also wanted to include a tracing pen but it simply cluttered the image.
Major DiM

Postby cairnswk on Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:18 pm

Perhaps i should qualify my "not being convinced" by saying that i find the total blue background simply garish....i was trying to be nice to you without offending. :wink:
Private cairnswk

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:30 pm

cairnswk wrote:Perhaps i should qualify my "not being convinced" by saying that i find the total blue background simply garish....i was trying to be nice to you without offending. :wink:

would a white background with blue lines be better?
i doubt it as it would be too damn white and boring
Major DiM

Postby Sir. Ricco on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:26 pm

Doing a good job DiM. :D
Captain Sir. Ricco

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:31 pm

Sir. Ricco wrote:Doing a good job DiM. :D

thanks mate.
Major DiM

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:48 pm

I think what really bothers me about this map is those little childish drawings of buildings and stuff. They don't fit in with the style of the rest of the map at all.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:07 pm

InkL0sed wrote:I think what really bothers me about this map is those little childish drawings of buildings and stuff. They don't fit in with the style of the rest of the map at all.

so you say a more serious drawing would be better?

i can easily do that. in fact i found it more difficult creating those than it was to create something serious.

but they really do fit. or at least in my vision they do. imagine a few kids finding their dad's old blueprint of the city and drawing little houses and shops and then playing risk on that blueprint. they drew a few things and then they scotch taped some instructions on the blue print and started playing. at least that's what i had in mind.
Major DiM

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:32 pm

I see what you mean, but it still just seems out of place. It works on Doodle Earth because that's the theme of the map, but this map isn't particularly about children. Also, if it really was a bunch of kids coming upon their dad's blueprint, would their drawings have a neon glow? Besides the fact that they don't look good, it all just seems kind of random.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

Postby DiM on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:33 pm

InkL0sed wrote:I see what you mean, but it still just seems out of place. It works on Doodle Earth because that's the theme of the map, but this map isn't particularly about children. Also, if it really was a bunch of kids coming upon their dad's blueprint, would their drawings have a neon glow? Besides the fact that they don't look good, it all just seems kind of random.

what seems random?
Major DiM

Postby InkL0sed on Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:36 pm

DiM wrote:
InkL0sed wrote:I see what you mean, but it still just seems out of place. It works on Doodle Earth because that's the theme of the map, but this map isn't particularly about children. Also, if it really was a bunch of kids coming upon their dad's blueprint, would their drawings have a neon glow? Besides the fact that they don't look good, it all just seems kind of random.

what seems random?

The drawings. There's nothing else to suggest on the map that it's a blueprint a bunch of kids decided to make into a risk board.

Maybe I'm wrong, but that's how I feel.
Lieutenant InkL0sed

PreviousNext

Return to The Atlas