Conquer Club

[GO] Constant (Very Flat) Rate Spoils

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

[GO] Constant (Very Flat) Rate Spoils

Postby superkarn on Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:30 am

I have a suggestion for another option for the bonus card: Real Flat Rate.

This means that instead of Red getting 4, Green getting 6 and so on, all sets are worth the same, flat rate. I think it's another luck-based factor that we can eliminate :)

Edit: Just to clearify, this is for an extra option, not to replace the current flat rate option.

Edit 2: New Flat Rate Option idea. Added the link here for easy access (the actual post is listed some where in the middle of page 2.

MOD EDIT:
DoomYoshi wrote:I am bringing these topics out from the archives. This idea has been suggested 7 times before, and at one point was marked *pending*. I am presuming that is the system they used before we had "Submitted" but the suggestion was never implemented. I want to judge if there is any interest in this. If not, I can move it back to the archives.

The suggestions have been for 4 per set, 7 per set (the current mean cash value), 10 per set and 15 per set.

[MOD EDIT: There is a similar suggestion to a constant-value* option that would give additional troops for a rainbow, but leave RGB at a single cash value

show: wording
--agentcom]
Last edited by superkarn on Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
Major superkarn

Postby AndyDufresne on Wed Sep 20, 2006 7:25 pm

Added to 'Unclassified'.

--Andy
Corporal 1st Class AndyDufresne

Postby kc-jake on Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:03 pm

Or you could go with "no cards", it MOSTLY does the same thing.
I was a major back when 1600 was major. Now that I'm back, I get to easily win a bunch of games to get my rank. Thank the 'tards here who suck at this game.
imhot4jesus wrote:Literacy never hurt anybody.

Highest Rank: #154 (Oct 05 '06)
Highest Score: 1725 (Jul 18 '08)
Sergeant 1st Class kc-jake

Postby zip_disk on Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:11 pm

It depends on where you set the value of a set of cards. If its at the low end near 4 its pretty much the same thing as No Cards.

If you set it higher it might be enough to prevent those No Card games where someone starts off with a continent and has pretty much won from the beginning.
Captain zip_disk

Postby superkarn on Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:50 pm

AndyDufresne wrote:Added to 'Unclassified'.

Thanks, Andy :)
Major superkarn

Postby Marvaddin on Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:46 am

How many armies each set do you want to suggest?

But again, since cards have colours, its still luck. You can cash in 3 or 5 turns. No cards if you dislike cards.
Major Marvaddin

Postby sully800 on Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:37 am

kc-jake wrote:Or you could go with "no cards", it MOSTLY does the same thing.

Except in no cards games you have no motivation to attack whgich leads to stagnation and simple army building. Everyone wants to build their armies without attacking until the other players attack and weaken each other. Adding a real flat rate would give people incentive to get a card each turn.
Major sully800

Postby superkarn on Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:03 am

Marvaddin wrote:No cards if you dislike cards.

Don't think i mentioned that i dislike cards...

Anyway, i agree with sully800. No-cards gives no incentive to attack. If you have a real flat rate, you'd more likely to attack to get a card. If you don't then you'll be at a disadvantage. But in no-cards games, if you just sit back and don't attack, you lose nothing.

i also agree with zip_disk in that the # shouldn't be too high or too low. I think 10 would be a good round number, since it's big enough for you to do some damage, but not quite big enough to dominate. But of course, we won't really know until we try :)
Major superkarn

Postby Ishiro on Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:15 am

No cards terminator Circus Maximus games are oddly fun.

I agree though, it would be nice to have a true flat rate as an option. Perhaps we can get this added to the Escalating+1 work request that is pending.
Corporal 1st Class Ishiro

Postby AK_iceman on Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:42 pm

I play a lot of no cards games, and have never had stagnation in any of them. Maybe its because I am aggressive or something, but the incentive to attack in a no cards game is the continental bonuses and the territory bonuses. This is how games are won in no cards. By getting more armies than your opponent each turn.

I do agree with the true flat rate idea though, however I still think the Escalating +1 is a better idea and that is already on the list.
Sergeant 1st Class AK_iceman

Postby superkarn on Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:54 pm

AK_iceman wrote:the incentive to attack in a no cards game is the continental bonuses and the territory bonuses.

The thing with that is if you play a 6-player game, everybody starts off with so few territories that it's hard to get to 12+. And controlling a continent is even harder. What ends up happening (at least in my games) is that most people sit and build up. Attack once, then build up some more.

Though i don't disagree that no-cards has its own style of game play, and some find it to be more fun/challenging. :)
Major superkarn

Flat Rate Cards

Postby Nephilim on Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:54 pm

I have just joined the club and I love the game. Being a newbie, I do not know how much discussion has been thrown about concerning the number of armies awarded for flat rate cards.

So here's my tirade: why in the name of God would you arbitrarily reward different number for red, blue, green, and mixed? Why not make all card exchanges worth the same amount, say, 10 armies? The dice represent all the luck that is needed in this game, and I'm sure many feel that the dice inject TOO much luck into it. So why force luck of the draw into the color of the cards that each player receives? Seems quite ignorant.

Any chance of changing this ill-conceived rule?
Captain Nephilim

Postby drainyou on Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:02 pm

If you want to lower the luck-factor you could always play with no cards...
Sergeant 1st Class drainyou

Postby AK_iceman on Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:12 pm

Since you are new and did not know yet, I will tell you.
This has been suggested before and is Pending on the to-do list.

Here is the thread for this idea.
http://www.conquerclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6681

Postby Ishiro on Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:07 am

Was thinking about this this morning...

Call it Fixed Rate
A set turn in (any set) would be 7 armies (average of the Flat Rate sets 4+6+8+10/4 = 7)
The coding should be fairly simple as its just a copy of Flat Rate with redemption values changed.

What do you think?

Postby joeyjordison on Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:05 am

AK_iceman wrote:I play a lot of no cards games, and have never had stagnation in any of them. Maybe its because I am aggressive or something, but the incentive to attack in a no cards game is the continental bonuses and the territory bonuses. This is how games are won in no cards. By getting more armies than your opponent each turn.

i'm not playin no cards again for a while due to my current set of games. check THIS THREAD for the list of my current games. 5 of 6 r build games due to stagnation[/url]
Major joeyjordison

Postby Spritzking on Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:10 am

well i think i would go for 8 points ;) since the chance on a mixed set is bigger then the chance on a single colored set..

but the amount doesn't bother me. maybe could also take away the color of the card in this option... so al cards will be bleu in fact
Major Spritzking

Postby mach on Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:41 pm

How about letting the creator choose the value of the set of cards? Then it could be adjust according to the map and personal preference
Captain mach

Postby Ishiro on Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:06 pm

Spritzking wrote:well i think i would go for 8 points ;) since the chance on a mixed set is bigger then the chance on a single colored set..

but the amount doesn't bother me. maybe could also take away the color of the card in this option... so al cards will be bleu in fact

If you take away the color, every 3 cards a player gets they get a turn in. It makes it more predictable, which could be good or bad depending on your goal. Without color, round 4 should see every player cash in a set, and then every three rounds after that... If you are last to go out of 6 players, you are at an extreme disadvantage since on round 4 every other player will get at least 3 + (turn in bonus) before you do.

ACTUAL flat rate cards

Postby alex_white101 on Thu Jun 14, 2007 7:31 am

i had a quick look on the to-do list and didnt see this there.

<Subject>:

Actual flat rate cards where the value of the set is constant, there are no colours.

this is needed as at the moment a great deal of flat rate games comes down to luck with the colour of cards you are dealt. It spoils games where people can win simply due to something entirely out of anyones control.

* Priority - 3/4
''Many a true word is spoken in jest''
Corporal 1st Class alex_white101

Postby AAFitz on Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:01 am

thats extremely close to no cards...but a constant cash of 5 would be a nice even game, still make you attack for a card, and give you a bit of a bonus for it, but personally i like the flat rate...its never over till its over...granted ive lost many because of the cards...but ive pulled out some bad ones with them
I'm Spanking Monkey now....err...I mean I'm a Spanking Monkey now...that shoots milk
Too much. I know.
Sergeant 1st Class AAFitz

Postby gimil on Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:07 pm

or have it so teh color of card you get depends on the amount you attack.

take 3 terrs - red
take 4 terrs - green

or make it by the amount of armies you destroy. bla bla bla you get the idea
What do you know about map making, bitch?

natty_dread wrote:I was wrong

Top Score:2403
Corporal 1st Class gimil

Postby spiesr on Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:31 pm

gimil wrote:or have it so teh color of card you get depends on the amount you attack.

take 3 terrs - red
take 4 terrs - green

or make it by the amount of armies you destroy. bla bla bla you get the idea
That would make it so that whoever is winning (they will be able to attack more) keeps wining. It would be hard to come back...
Captain spiesr

Postby alex_white101 on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:01 am

no mods to tell me its already been suggested?
''Many a true word is spoken in jest''
Corporal 1st Class alex_white101

Postby AK_iceman on Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:06 am

Next

Return to Suggestions