Rail Australia [Quenched]

Care to peruse completed maps? Take a stroll through the Atlas.

Moderators: Cartographers, Global Moderators

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

Rail Australia [Quenched]

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:18 am

RAIL AUSTRALIA

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Quenched Version 30

Small

Large
Click image to enlarge.

Indian-Pacific youTube Clip
& lyrics...
From coast to coast by night and day, hear the clickin' of the wheels
The hummin' of the diesel, of her ribbons of steel
Carryin' the memories of a nation built by hand
See the Indian Pacific span the land

She's the pride of all the railway men 'cross country where she flies
From blue Pacific waters to where the mountains rise
By lakes and wide brown rivers, through desert country dry
See the Indian Pacific passin' by

Oh the Indian Pacific she goes rollin' down the track
Five thousand miles to travel before she's there and back
Beside the line, a drover waves his battered old grey hat
And kids are catchin' yabbies down by the river flat
And a woman hangs her washing in a backyard near the line
As the Indian Pacific's rollin' by

Hear the whistle blowin' lonely 'neath the Nullabor star light
Saluting those who walk across the track she romps tonight
Callin' to the railway camp and the fitters on the line
I'm the Indian Pacific, right on time

From the silver of the Broken Hill to old Kalgoorlie gold
She mirrors all the colours of the land so hot and old
Then the western clouds are blooming and the air is just like wine
And the Indian Pacific's makin' time

Oh the Indian Pacific she goes rollin' down the track
Five thousand miles to travel before she's there and back
From the waters of the western sea to the eastern ocean sand
The Indian Pacific spans the land
Oh the Indian Pacific spans the land

Original Map

Why?
A logical extension for all the train enthusiasts to addition to Rail USA and Rail Europe.

Concept
Rather than use the linear train journeys for this map, i broke with that and divided the rails into State Rails.

This provides a more "classic" continent setup, rather than the linear setup of previous rail maps.

Small rail networks in smaller states provide good opportunity to gain continents early in the game, and there will be extra bonuses for connecting mineral towns marked 'M' to their ports marked 'P'.

Design
The very simple design of the stations has the standard army box plus a boomerang over the top of the station.

The outline for the Australian continent is a form of aboriginal artwork, taken from aboriginal drawings...the large dot clusters represent a meeting place and the three line connecting these clusters represent the travels and journeys of the poeple in the meeting places....quite appropriate i think!

No of Territories
7 continents
QRail (15 terts)
NSWRail (13 terts)
VicRail (6 terts)
TasRail (2 Terts)
SA Rail (9 terts)
WARail (15 terts)
AsuRail (4 terts)
Total 64 terts.

Enjoy!
Last edited by cairnswk on Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 65 times in total.
Corporal cairnswk

Medals: 50
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby onbekende on Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:03 am

this r again win
Emperor of the Benelux
Founder of the Commonwealth of Planets
Founder and CEO of JF
Sergeant 1st Class onbekende

Medals: 16
Standard Achievement (3) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Manual Troops Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (3)
Fog of War Achievement (1) Trench Warfare Achievement (1) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Clan Achievement (2)

Postby whitestazn88 on Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:28 am

honestly, i feel like this is a better concept than rail usa and rail europe, although i may be partial because of my poor record on the rail usa map... but i like the idea
Sergeant 1st Class whitestazn88

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:33 am

first thing i noticed was that WARail has 1 border. then i looked at the minerals and ports and added the continent bonus and got a staggering 11 bonus for just 1 border. not good. not good at all.

second thing i looked at was the ports and minerals on the map. chances are a player may start with huge bonuses. imagine a 2p game where a guy has 3 minerals and 3 ports. that's an 18 bonus from the start. game over in round 1. and getting 3p and 3 m is very easy considering there are 9 of each. heck, a lucky guy might get even more, like 6p and 6m which means 72 bonus.

so you need 2 things.

1. add more connections to the map, either by adding rails or by making ports connect
2. you need to lower the minerals bonus to 1 and then lower the chances of getting it by making 1p+2m=+1
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Postby Tieryn on Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:55 am

I noticed the same ^^ with rail WA, it looks very enticing and certainly a game winner once you have it.

Perhaps connecting ports would open up its borders a little? (was this already in the plan? it's not mentioned anywhere)

Another option might be to add in some sort of truck/bus/plane sort of concept? not sure which, something to open up the top end of wa.

What does the dotted line from TNC to MTI do?

Do minerals go to -all- ports? or only their nearest one, specific to each mineral? Sending from MLL to Syd wouldn't make sense, bonus wise... Also would you have to have the connection? not just the start and end? ie, Len-Klg-Esp? not just Len and Esp?

Graphically, I'd like to see some sort of great barrier reef added off the coast of queensland/nsw, just to look nice :P and attract tourists!

Do the aboriginal meeting place circles represent any particular place? Could they perhaps provide a link up between the ports?

It's looking good and I like the idea. The more Aus maps the better imho
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby Tieryn on Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:56 am

also if we're looking at minerals, possibly including some off-shore gas rigs might give some extra space/place and create more connections to the ports?
Sergeant 1st Class Tieryn

Medals: 9
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Freestyle Achievement (2) Fog of War Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:00 pm

whitestazn88 wrote:honestly, i feel like this is a better concept than rail usa and rail europe, although i may be partial because of my poor record on the rail usa map... but i like the idea

Kewl...but this is a rail map with quite different aspects. :)

DiM wrote:first thing i noticed was that WARail has 1 border. then i looked at the minerals and ports and added the continent bonus and got a staggering 11 bonus for just 1 border. not good. not good at all.

second thing i looked at was the ports and minerals on the map. chances are a player may start with huge bonuses. imagine a 2p game where a guy has 3 minerals and 3 ports. that's an 18 bonus from the start. game over in round 1. and getting 3p and 3 m is very easy considering there are 9 of each. heck, a lucky guy might get even more, like 6p and 6m which means 72 bonus.

so you need 2 things.

1. add more connections to the map, either by adding rails or by making ports connect
2. you need to lower the minerals bonus to 1 and then lower the chances of getting it by making 1p+2m=+1

Thanks for comment DiM....how does this new V2 below address some of those issues?

Tieryn wrote:I noticed the same ^^ with rail WA, it looks very enticing and certainly a game winner once you have it.

Perhaps connecting ports would open up its borders a little? (was this already in the plan? it's not mentioned anywhere)

No it wasn't in the plan, but is now.

Another option might be to add in some sort of truck/bus/plane sort of concept? not sure which, something to open up the top end of wa.

More rail added to top end of WA to reflect the development of mineral wealth occuring there...and now connected by Future Rail.

What does the dotted line from TNC to MTI do?

Future Rail connects as per map.

Do minerals go to -all- ports? or only their nearest one, specific to each mineral? Sending from MLL to Syd wouldn't make sense, bonus wise... Also would you have to have the connection? not just the start and end? ie, Len-Klg-Esp? not just Len and Esp?

Yes, there are now Minerals to Port pairs where the bonus +1 is only now applicable

Graphically, I'd like to see some sort of great barrier reef added off the coast of queensland/nsw, just to look nice and attract tourists!

Not enough room and was never going to happen...not in the design.

Do the aboriginal meeting place circles represent any particular place? Could they perhaps provide a link up between the ports?

No they don't mean anything, they are purely for design. Being close to ports is mere coincidence.

Thanks for your comments Tieryn. Great work and thought.

Version 2 below

Changes:
1. Legends moved around
2. Mineral->Port pairs developed for pairing bonus +1
3. More rail added to top of WA.
4. More bonuses for long distance passenger services.
5. All ports connect.
6. There is a Future Rail concept, where new lines could possibly be added to open-up the country.
7. Continent given a bevel.

Corporal cairnswk

Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (1) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Map Contribution (35) General Contribution (3)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:01 pm

Tieryn wrote:also if we're looking at minerals, possibly including some off-shore gas rigs might give some extra space/place and create more connections to the ports?

This one is too way-off main subject matter sorry Tieryn.
Corporal cairnswk

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:02 pm

onbekende wrote:this r again win
Thanks onbekende...i trust you'll be available for the bonuses?
Corporal cairnswk

Postby lanyards on Sat Feb 02, 2008 12:07 pm

The map looks great. Although it is kinda dark, mabye you could lighten it up a little.

--lanyards
Colonel lanyards

Medals: 100
Monthly Leader Bronze (1) Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (4) Triples Achievement (4) Quadruples Achievement (4)
Terminator Achievement (3) Assassin Achievement (3) Manual Troops Achievement (4) Freestyle Achievement (4) Polymorphic Achievement (2)
Nuclear Spoils Achievement (3) Fog of War Achievement (4) Trench Warfare Achievement (3) Speed Achievement (4) Teammate Achievement (3)
Random Map Achievement (3) Cross-Map Achievement (4) Beta Map Achievement (2) Battle Royale Achievement (1) Bot Achievement (1)
Ratings Achievement (4) Tournament Achievement (16) General Achievement (5) Clan Achievement (1) Challenge Achievement (1)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:27 pm

lanyards wrote:The map looks great. Although it is kinda dark, mabye you could lighten it up a little.

--lanyards

Yes i can do that, but don't want it too bright as I'll only get asked to make it less bright.
Corporal cairnswk

Postby whitestazn88 on Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:36 pm

the new bonus system is definitely better
Sergeant 1st Class whitestazn88

Medals: 28
Standard Achievement (4) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Quadruples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (1)
Freestyle Achievement (2) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (2)
Random Map Achievement (2) Cross-Map Achievement (3) Ratings Achievement (3) General Achievement (2) Clan Achievement (1)

Postby cairnswk on Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:54 pm

lanyards wrote:The map looks great. Although it is kinda dark, mabye you could lighten it up a little.
--lanyards

How's this....Version 3?

Corporal cairnswk

Postby Kaplowitz on Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:41 pm

I dont like the way the pink looks now. (Actually only TNC and ASP)
Private 1st Class Kaplowitz

Medals: 6
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (1) Assassin Achievement (1) Speed Achievement (2)

Postby DiM on Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:43 pm

v3 is better. easier to read except for the blue text on the water.

anyway. i still think the chances of an opponent starting with a big bonus are pretty big. don't know the exact chance but in 2 or 3 p games i think somebody will get bonuses right from the start.

and speaking of bonuses, the bonus for long distance passenger services is a nice addition but it has a big problem of being hard to spot. for example by the time i read the whole indian pacific route and identify the stations on the map i think i'll miss my turn.
perhaps marking each bonus with a coloured dot and then adding that dot to the stations?
“In the beginning God said, the four-dimensional divergence of an antisymmetric, second rank tensor equals zero, and there was light, and it was good. And on the seventh day he rested.”- Michio Kaku
Major DiM

Medals: 45
Standard Achievement (2) Doubles Achievement (2) Triples Achievement (1) Terminator Achievement (2) Assassin Achievement (2)
Freestyle Achievement (1) Nuclear Spoils Achievement (1) Fog of War Achievement (2) Speed Achievement (1) Teammate Achievement (1)
Cross-Map Achievement (2) Ratings Achievement (3) Tournament Achievement (4) General Achievement (4) Map Contribution (10)
Tournament Contribution (4) General Contribution (3)

Next

Return to The Atlas