Conquer Club

[GO] No Dice Games

Have any bright ideas? Share and discuss them with the community

Moderator: Community Team

Forum rules
Please read the Community Guidelines before posting.

And don't forget to search for previously suggested ideas first!

Postby john1099 on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:17 am

Why is this in GD?
It's been discussed 2034804823 times, and people don't believe it should be implemented because it cuts away from the actual "Risk" aspect of the game.
GunnaRoolsUDrool wrote:yo mama has 3 titties, ones for milk, ones for water, ones out of order
Sergeant 1st Class john1099

Postby Great Pretender on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:17 am

shouldn't this be in s suggestion forum then? :?
Sergeant 1st Class Great Pretender

Postby Fruitcake on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:20 am

In a 2 player game, if the first player gets 4 to start, then unless the map is so skewed that both players are directly opposite, he'll be able to find four territories to take with no chance of losing them the next round. Many places you wouldn't even need to deploy: if you have two territories next to one, you'll take it. Try applying this to any game you've just started, and see how many you can take over. It'll be a lot more than you could take with dice.

Not quite, and the first player could never take more than 2 terries....

start=3 per terry, so the first player places 4 armies on one terry. Same player takes terry 1, loses 3 in attack, has to leave one behind, so moves 3 in. this now means just 4 on the next attacking terry against 3, so has to use armies from another surrounding terry to reduce to 2 before attacking, then takes. great, but player then has 3 terries with just 1 army on each.

Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
Colonel Fruitcake

Postby Fruitcake on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:24 am

Why is this in GD?
It's been discussed 2034804823 times, and people don't believe it should be implemented because it cuts away from the actual "Risk" aspect of the game.

The game of Risk is called a strategic game....isn't it?

I was asked to post this for discussion.

Due to current economic conditions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off
Colonel Fruitcake

Postby Audax on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:29 am

Why is this in GD?

Apart from the obviously silly number which has nothing positive, I fail to undertstand hwo you can say this. How many threads appear on this forum about the dice????????

I agree with Fruitcake's comment about strategic thinking. I play no dice risk all the time, but then maybe that is because I think skill comes from this strategic thinking and not luck...
Remember to breathe in more times than you breathe out.
Captain Audax

Postby Sven Hassel on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:30 am

a simple answer: NO

the dice are the heart of the game, it wouldn't be fun anymore if there wasn't a sort of risk to it, and what would you do in cases like 11 vs 10, i won a roll like this without losing any armies with you solution it would have resulted in losing all my armies. but what about the crazy attack: 20 vs 33? 5 vs 9?
"Bullets kill, grenades kill, bayonets kill, the cold kills. Death has a thousand faces. The worst of them all: the Court Martial."
Lieutenant Sven Hassel

Postby Audax on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:33 am

what about in games like 2.1 or maps where players get 5+ men, they could place a 2, a 2 and a 1 and guarantie that they take 2 areas for sure, this cuts their opponent down to 4 guys per round (an even bigger effect in world 2.1)

Good point, bet Fruit hadn't though about that, I had not, never play it myself. Notwithstanding that...it would be an option, not compulsory...surely this increases the attractiveness of the site rather than detracts from it.
Remember to breathe in more times than you breathe out.
Captain Audax

Postby BaldAdonis on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:44 am

Fruitcake wrote:Not quite, and the first player could never take more than 2 terries....

start=3 per terry, so the first player places 4 armies on one terry. Same player takes terry 1, loses 3 in attack, has to leave one behind, so moves 3 in. this now means just 4 on the next attacking terry against 3, so has to use armies from another surrounding terry to reduce to 2 before attacking, then takes. great, but player then has 3 terries with just 1 army on each.

If this ever gets implemented (which it won't, it's been suggested and rejected because it doesn't make sense), sign me up for a hundred games against you. You're forgetting that you start with more than one territory, so there are support troops scattered around the map. It would be very unlikely to come up with a drop where you CAN'T take 3 territories and not leave any singles exposed.
Captain BaldAdonis

Postby Fruitcake on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:44 am

a simple answer: NO

the dice are the heart of the game, it wouldn't be fun anymore if there wasn't a sort of risk to it, and what would you do in cases like 11 vs 10, i won a roll like this without losing any armies with you solution it would have resulted in losing all my armies. but what about the crazy attack: 20 vs 33? 5 vs 9?

I disagree, dice are not at the heart of the game, strategy is.
your examples:
11v10, that is why strategy would be more important.
20v33? 5vs9, I think the pertinant word is 'crazy'

Colonel Fruitcake

Postby Fruitcake on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:47 am

If this ever gets implemented (which it won't, it's been suggested and rejected because it doesn't make sense), sign me up for a hundred games against you. You're forgetting that you start with more than one territory, so there are support troops scattered around the map. It would be very unlikely to come up with a drop where you CAN'T take 3 territories and not leave any singles exposed.

have you played a no dice game?

Colonel Fruitcake

Postby owenshooter on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:48 am

i want a poll, damnit!!! where is the poll!! a guy as clever as you are, and you can't figure out how to add a poll?!! get with it fruity!!!-0
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
makes it ever so much more erotically thrilling"
Lieutenant owenshooter

no dice games poll

Postby Fruitcake on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:52 am

Further to the no dice thread. Give your vote.

Remember, this is as an option, it does not mean you have to play it.

Colonel Fruitcake

Postby Fruitcake on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:54 am

err, sorry owen, slight cock up in the brain department there....done...perhaps one the mighty mods could tie these 2 together.

Colonel Fruitcake

Postby Mr Unbeatable on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:56 am

I love the idea as i think the dice play too much of a role in deciding the winner of a game. Got my support. :wink:
Private Mr Unbeatable

Postby owenshooter on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:58 am

Mr Unbeatable wrote:I love the idea as i think the dice play too much of a role in deciding the winner of a game. Got my support. :wink:

yeah, dice deciding the game in a BOARD GAME is just ridiculous... ahem...-0

p.s.-where is the poll?!!!
Thorthoth,"Cloaking one's C&A fetish with moral authority and righteous indignation
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby owenshooter on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:59 am

is this merged yet? ha!! you are killing me today fruity!!! let me cast my vote... oh wait, since we cast the dice, maybe i shouldn't use that term...-0
Lieutenant owenshooter

Postby wacicha on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:03 am

I believe this belongs here
Major wacicha

Postby Fruitcake on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:04 am

mailed the mighty wicked to ask for it to be merged owen, just for you

Colonel Fruitcake

Postby Fruitcake on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:07 am

Thanks wacicha, still learning about this forum....and how.

Colonel Fruitcake

Postby jiminski on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:42 am

owenshooter wrote:i want a poll, damnit!!! where is the poll!! a guy as clever as you are, and you can't figure out how to add a poll?!! get with it fruity!!!-0

Agreed!

Personally i instinctively don;t like the idea but you make some good points.

For me it would mean that a good lump of the emotion and drama would be taken out of the game.
Imagine Formula one without the crashes! Sheese that would be like watching pants go around in a washing machine.

Imagine in Football if every decision, in every game were correct and decided by flawless computers which measured every movement.
It would take away a huge portion of the injustice which keeps us all talking in pubs and coming back for more. The game requires a good but imperfect referee. Our 'Random' dice serve as our flawed adjudicator.

The element of luck keeps the best players trying and the worst interested.
If people wanted purely a battle of unadulterated wits, CC would stand for Chess Club!
The dice act as a cushion to soften the acceptance of our intellectual inadequacies and a brake on our cognitive bravura.

In short by taking away the dice you fundamentally alter the dynamics and essence of the game.

love,
jim
Captain jiminski

Postby yeti_c on Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:48 am

Right here's a question...

If both sides lose the same amount of armies - what happens when it's 2 or 3 vs 1...

Who wins?

C.
Highest score : 2297
Lieutenant yeti_c

Postby Snorri1234 on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:00 am

Worst idea ever.
"Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice skate uphill."

Duane: You know what they say about love and war.
Tim: Yes, one involves a lot of physical and psychological pain, and the other one's war.
Private Snorri1234

Postby jiminski on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:14 am

I am all for it!

that way when it is merged i can't be wrong!
Captain jiminski

Postby BaldAdonis on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:28 am

Fruitcake wrote:have you played a no dice game?

Yeah, all the time, right after I play tic-tac-toe, connect four, and my other favourite predetermined games. Then I pick up a rock and drop it to see if it will fall: I still think someday it won't.
Captain BaldAdonis

Postby insomniacdude on Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:12 am

Audax wrote:
Why is this in GD?

Apart from the obviously silly number which has nothing positive, I fail to undertstand hwo you can say this. How many threads appear on this forum about the dice????????

Based on your low post count I'm going to assume that you don't check the forums a whole lot.

I've seen more threads about dice then on any other subject even kind-of sort-of maybe relevant to CC.
Cadet insomniacdude

PreviousNext

Return to Suggestions